MB and Draftniks, What Position You Got at this point in the First, and what position in the second Round?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: MB and Draftniks, What Position You Got at this point in the First, and what position in the second Round?

It is too early to know what we will be most looking for but here is my shot by position:

1. Either OT or OG or C: If Cannon is more of a guard or if Vollmer's back is a chronic issue then we are either a bit thin at T or critically thin and that is definitely a no no in BB's world. If Cannon is a good (R)T and if Vollmer is sound then we turn to G or C depending on who is available and simultaneouly where they would most like to use Connolly.

2. DT: After Wilfork we have some adequate players but no one that can do the job if Wilfork is hurt. So I think that becomes a high priority for quality. THis is not a place we will want to just add another body for the sake of a body (beacuse we ahve bodies now)

3. CB: You can never have too many good CBs

4. Possession WR: If Welker is gone and the coaches don't go with Edelman after this season. Brady is not especially effective deep (25 yards and beyond) so to make the most of Brady you first HAVE TO HAVE a very good possession WR - not just TEs (though "just" TEs does not describe the Pats TEs!).

5. S: you can always use another a high quality safety especially if he can either play the "money" spot or is especially good at coverage - or is prototypical FS

6. OLB or ILB: Hightower makes this a question like the C/G question. I think BB would prefer to use Hightower on the outside first and inside second. So If they can find a guy to pair with Spikes (and in a 4-3 to spell or back up Spikes) then they go with an ILB. But if they have a shot at a stud who plays OLB they could certainly move Hightower back inside (and use Hightower as depth outside). Mayo of course can also play inside but I think they would like to leave him outside going forward... I should add that I like Nink and think he is a good player. But he is sound and adds depth as opposed to adding a big time player.

7. Any player who gives Brady a dangerous weapon at RB, TE or WR! Will Demps be enough of a football player to give them a spark plug to use on special occasions?

8. If there is a QB who they think is an upgrade over Hoyer and Mallet they will grab him. Especially if they think Hoyer will leave as a FA. That is unless they become really enamored of Mallet by years end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: MB and Draftniks, What Position You Got at this point in the First, and what position in the second Round?

2013 NFL draft

1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama
    2nd Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal
    3rd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    4th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    7th Round - Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 311.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
    Projected Round (2013): Top 25.

5/14/12: Jones had a tremendous junior season at left tackle and it has really elevated his draft stock. In his biggest test of 2011, Jones was playing very well against LSU before he sustained an ankle injury in the second half. Early in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid not allowing a sack or pressure. He had another good game in the National Championship

Jones moved to left tackle last season after playing guard the previous two years. His transisition was flawless. He did a fabulous job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and was equally good in pass protection. Jones is an intelligent player who has the physical tools to be effective. Interestingly, Alabama has moved Jones to center for his senior season. He is extremely smart and versatile. It will be interesting to see where Jones plays in the NFL, but he definitely could play guard.

Jones started 14 games at guard in 2009 as a redshirt freshman and Ingram ran his way to a Heisman. Jones stayed at right guard and started 11 games there in 2010. He was named as a First-Team All-SEC selection last season.

Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal
    Height: 5-9. Weight: 175.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
    Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

5/23/12: Mathieu was one of the best defensive players in college football during the 2011 season. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and he had a massive impact for LSU.

Mathieu plays much bigger than his measurements, and anyone who watched LSU the past two seasons can't help but see that he is a pure football player with off-the-charts instinct. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 as sophomore last year. He also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, Mathieu served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

The 5-foot-9, 175-pounder has been a dynamic play-maker for the Tigers since Day 1. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman. He will have to clean up some off-the-field issues, but he looks like a pure football player in the mold of Ed Reed. Mathieu could move to safety in the NFL.

Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 310.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
    Projected Round (2013): 4-5.

5/13/12: Hansen was a starter instantly as a freshman, and has started every game at guard the past three seasons. He was named an All-MWC honorable mention as a sophomore. BYU had a strong running game and Hansen opened a lot of holes for the Cougars. He also was a reliable pass blocker. Hansen is a well-rounded guard, but is not overwhelming at the line of scrimmage.

Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    Height: 6-8. Weight: 275.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

5/14/12: Hunt is a physical freak. The Karksi-Nuia, Estonia product is a raw player that really came on strong at the end of his junior season. He recorded all three of his sacks for 2011 against Pitt in the Bowl game. He had 28 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss. Hunt totaled 5.5 sacks in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Hunt uses his height to be a dangerous weapon on special teams. He blocked seven kicks as a freshman. In 2010 he had three blocked kicks and as a junior he had four kicks blocked. It is entirely possible that he could end his college career approaching 20 blocked kicks. Hunt may be best as a five technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 232.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
    Projected Round (2013): 6-FA.

8/21/12: Reed is the younger brother of Houston Texans linebacker Brooks Reed. Lucas Reed hauled in 22 receptions for 241 yards as a junior in 2011. His most productive year was in 2010, when he caught 33 passes for 459 yards and five scores.

Reed caught 17 passes for 212 yards and a score in his redshirt freshman season. He will need to add weight and fill out his frame for the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i think OT will be among the top priorities. canon will be RG, not RT. i like the sea bass at LT because i think his mental make up is better fit there than solder. that said, it will be hard to depend on someone there with a bad back. solder is serviceable at RT, hopefully blooms into someone solid. they still should be looking for an upgrade on the LT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: MB and Draftniks, What Position You Got at this point in the First, and what position in the second Round?:
    [QUOTE]It is too early to know what we will be most looking for but here is my shot by position: 1. Either OT or OG or C: If Cannon is more of a guard or if Vollmer's back is a chronic issue then we are either a bit thin at T or critically thin and that is definitely a no no in BB's world. If Cannon is a good (R)T and if Vollmer is sound then we turn to G or C depending on who is available and simultaneouly where they would most like to use Connolly. 2. DT: After Wilfork we have some adequate players but no one that can do the job if Wilfork is hurt. So I think that becomes a high priority for quality. THis is not a place we will want to just add another body for the sake of a body (beacuse we ahve bodies now) 3. CB: You can never have too many good CBs 4. Possession WR: If Welker is gone and the coaches don't go with Edelman after this season. Brady is not especially effective deep (25 yards and beyond) so to make the most of Brady you first HAVE TO HAVE a very good possession WR - not just TEs (though "just" TEs does not describe the Pats TEs!). 5. S: you can always use another a high quality safety especially if he can either play the "money" spot or is especially good at coverage - or is prototypical FS 6. OLB or ILB: Hightower makes this a question like the C/G question. I think BB would prefer to use Hightower on the outside first and inside second. So If they can find a guy to pair with Spikes (and in a 4-3 to spell or back up Spikes) then they go with an ILB. But if they have a shot at a stud who plays OLB they could certainly move Hightower back inside (and use Hightower as depth outside). Mayo of course can also play inside but I think they would like to leave him outside going forward... I should add that I like Nink and think he is a good player. But he is sound and adds depth as opposed to adding a big time player. 7. Any player who gives Brady a dangerous weapon at RB, TE or WR! Will Demps be enough of a football player to give them a spark plug to use on special occasions? 8. If there is a QB who they think is an upgrade over Hoyer and Mallet they will grab him. Especially if they think Hoyer will leave as a FA. That is unless they become really enamored of Mallet by years end.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

looks like you are echoing my primary sentiments. 
    we see it similary it seems.
    more detailed comments later

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: MB and Draftniks, What Position You Got at this point in the First, and what position in the second Round?:
    [QUOTE]2013 NFL draft 1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama 2nd Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal 3rd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU 4th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU 7th Round - Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama Height: 6-5. Weight: 311. Projected 40 Time: 5.10. Projected Round (2013): Top 25. 5/14/12: Jones had a tremendous junior season at left tackle and it has really elevated his draft stock. In his biggest test of 2011, Jones was playing very well against LSU before he sustained an ankle injury in the second half. Early in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid not allowing a sack or pressure. He had another good game in the National Championship Jones moved to left tackle last season after playing guard the previous two years. His transisition was flawless. He did a fabulous job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and was equally good in pass protection. Jones is an intelligent player who has the physical tools to be effective. Interestingly, Alabama has moved Jones to center for his senior season. He is extremely smart and versatile. It will be interesting to see where Jones plays in the NFL, but he definitely could play guard. Jones started 14 games at guard in 2009 as a redshirt freshman and Ingram ran his way to a Heisman. Jones stayed at right guard and started 11 games there in 2010. He was named as a First-Team All-SEC selection last season. Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal Height: 5-9. Weight: 175. Projected 40 Time: 4.42. Projected Round (2013): 1-2. 5/23/12: Mathieu was one of the best defensive players in college football during the 2011 season. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and he had a massive impact for LSU. Mathieu plays much bigger than his measurements, and anyone who watched LSU the past two seasons can't help but see that he is a pure football player with off-the-charts instinct. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 as sophomore last year. He also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, Mathieu served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns. The 5-foot-9, 175-pounder has been a dynamic play-maker for the Tigers since Day 1. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman. He will have to clean up some off-the-field issues, but he looks like a pure football player in the mold of Ed Reed. Mathieu could move to safety in the NFL. Braden Hansen, G, BYU Height: 6-6. Weight: 310. Projected 40 Time: 5.10. Projected Round (2013): 4-5. 5/13/12: Hansen was a starter instantly as a freshman, and has started every game at guard the past three seasons. He was named an All-MWC honorable mention as a sophomore. BYU had a strong running game and Hansen opened a lot of holes for the Cougars. He also was a reliable pass blocker. Hansen is a well-rounded guard, but is not overwhelming at the line of scrimmage. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU Height: 6-8. Weight: 275. Projected 40 Time: 4.83. Projected Round (2013): 3-4. 5/14/12: Hunt is a physical freak. The Karksi-Nuia, Estonia product is a raw player that really came on strong at the end of his junior season. He recorded all three of his sacks for 2011 against Pitt in the Bowl game. He had 28 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss. Hunt totaled 5.5 sacks in his freshman and sophomore seasons. Hunt uses his height to be a dangerous weapon on special teams. He blocked seven kicks as a freshman. In 2010 he had three blocked kicks and as a junior he had four kicks blocked. It is entirely possible that he could end his college career approaching 20 blocked kicks. Hunt may be best as a five technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico Height: 6-6. Weight: 232. Projected 40 Time: 4.65. Projected Round (2013): 6-FA. 8/21/12: Reed is the younger brother of Houston Texans linebacker Brooks Reed. Lucas Reed hauled in 22 receptions for 241 yards as a junior in 2011. His most productive year was in 2010, when he caught 33 passes for 459 yards and five scores. Reed caught 17 passes for 212 yards and a score in his redshirt freshman season. He will need to add weight and fill out his frame for the NFL.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

mathieu would be a steal. however what i read he intends to take a year off, work on his addiction (pot i would guess) and play for lsu the following year.

if he came out, id want him. 
    he can play anywhere on the field and will make plays everywhere. no matter his size

however most hated that jenkins was one of my guys because his off the field (esp pot- and 1 of the 2 times he was only in a car with someone with a small personal bag).

mathieu's addiction was much worse. les miles said he has been caught using consistently "for a long time" (presumably being tested) and refused to stop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]i think OT will be among the top priorities. canon will be RG, not RT. i like the sea bass at LT because i think his mental make up is better fit there than solder. that said, it will be hard to depend on someone there with a bad back. solder is serviceable at RT, hopefully blooms into someone solid. they still should be looking for an upgrade on the LT.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

i have said and felt similarly sea

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

regardless if Solder turns out fine and Vollmer's back becomes a non-issue the Pats need another OT as I see it.  Wait it out for a Matt Light to show up.  That's all.  Cannon was drafted to play G and to fill in at OT in a pinch.  

On Mathieu he's off the LSU team for this year at least.  He may want to enter the draft because that stock of his will take a hit regardless.  So show people that you went out and tried to fix the problem.  Enter the draft and train hard for the combine.  Have answers ready.  Someone will take on chance on a talent like that if he has his ducks in row. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]regardless if Solder turns out fine and Vollmer's back becomes a non-issue the Pats need another OT as I see it.  Wait it out for a Matt Light to show up.  That's all.  Cannon was drafted to play G and to fill in at OT in a pinch.   On Mathieu he's off the LSU team for this year at least.  He may want to enter the draft because that stock of his will take a hit regardless.  So show people that you went out and tried to fix the problem.  Enter the draft and train hard for the combine.  Have answers ready.  Someone will take on chance on a talent like that if he has his ducks in row. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

i hope he takes that route, would fall lower if he enters this year than if he does what hes said hes going to do, which is take a year off focus on school and treatment (for his problem), then play next year at lsu (if they take him back). hes not kicked out of shool only off the team (so he can stay in school if he wishes on his own dime,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think the football team moves on although it seems odd the school didn't dump him.  If Mathieu doesn't transfer that may be a sign that he's going into this year's draft.  Like I said it won't hurt his draft status because the damage has been done.  He can improve his image if he works out hard for the combine and works on rehab.

The problem lies with the rehab stuff because most teams will check into how he did.  The remainder of this year may not be long enough to show how commited he is to change.  A year off and he should be able to show he's been a good boy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]I think the football team moves on although it seems odd the school didn't dump him.  If Mathieu doesn't transfer that may be a sign that he's going into this year's draft.  Like I said it won't hurt his draft status because the damage has been done.  He can improve his image if he works out hard for the combine and works on rehab. The problem lies with the rehab stuff because most teams will check into how he did.  The remainder of this year may not be long enough to show how commited he is to change.  A year off and he should be able to show he's been a good boy.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

he's going to do the rehab and then get bored after 6 months of no football and elect to go to the draft when someone tells him he'll be taken high in the draft. 

Sections
Shortcuts