McClain to New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

McClain to New England?

McClain is arguably the best thumper MLB since Patrick Willis to come out.  It was reported here that McClain met with Belichick and talked football.  We all know about the Saban connection and we know the love and emphasis BB places on LBs.  So, could McClain who most people have as a top 12 pick come to NE? 

First off, there is no way he lasts past the Giants at 15 so we would have to move up to 13-14 to get him assuming he drops that far.  The price to do so would be our #22 and #53.  Sitting at #13 is SF who also owns the #17 pick.  At #14 is Seattle and they also own the #6 pick.  Both teams need OG, OT, CB, S, and QB help but neither team needs a LB.  There are tons of talent at those positions of need that would be there at #22 and #53 so with both teams having a lot of needs, picking up an extra 2nd rounder might be attractive to them.  In the case of SEA they would have already made a selection in the first so to move down 8 picks for a 2nd rounder might be something of interest.

Is it possible for McClain to drop that far?  I think it's possible based on the below mock.  Denver would seem to be the key.  I believe they will either take Dan Willimas who is the best 34 NT available or McClain.  Since Josh McDaniels is a BB disciple he likely believes you build from the line out.  Denver needs that run stuffing 34 NT to complete their transition to a 34 so I think it more likely they take Williams.  So, if the stars align and either SF or SEA bite on the trade, McClain could become a Patriot.

PKRD 1NeedsSelection
    1STLQB   OG   DE   CB   WR   DT   OLB  Ndamukong Suh
    2DETCB   DE   OG   RB   S   DT   KGerald McCoy
    3TBWR   OT   DE   OLB   SS   CB   OG  Russell Okung
    4WSHOT   OG   QB   RB   WR   SS   KSam Bradford
    5KCOT   SS   DT   CB   WR   OLB   ILB  Trent Williams
    6SEAOG   OT   WR   ILB   FS   CB   RB  Dez Bryant
    7CLEQB   DE   OG   OT   WR   ILB   CB  Jason Pierre-Paul
    8OAKDT   OG   WR   QB   OT   DE   SS  Bruce Campbell
    9BUFOT   QB   DT   WR   OLB   OG   FS  Jimmy Clausen
    10JAXDE   WR   CB   OG   OC   FS   DT  Derrick Morgan
    11DENWR   DT   ILB   TE   DE   OG   CDan Williams
    12MIAFS   DT   OLB   DE   OG   C   OT  Eric Berry
    13SFOG   OT   SS   CB   DT   DE   QB  Joe Haden

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: McClain to New England?

If this happens the Pats brass might have to trade into the 5-10 area just to be certain they get Mc Clain. Again, with a draft day trade they can be fairly certain he'll be there. Whereas, if they trade for the 13th pick overall weeks before the draft, there is obviously no certainty McClain will be there . Would be nice to have a great pair of ILBs for the next 5-10 years. I don't know if I'd rank Mc Clain or Mayo ahead of Willis; a 170+ tackles is alot. Although I would agree that Mc Clain is the best ILB in this draft. Assuming AT is released Who plays at OLB and gives us a pass rush ? Does Guyton move outside ? Do we go with unproven LBs like Crable and MacKenzie at OLB ? Or do the Pats take an OLB in the 2nd round ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Based on the above, anything after 7 is chancy but how sweet would that be to reel in the top LB prospect in the draft?

He could go anywhere from #7 on, but I doubt if he'd get past the gints at 15. Your mock seems reasonable, so its a distinct possibility that he'd drop past 11 maybe to 13. How sweet would it be to grab him right before the gints pick?  

I'd look towards making a conditional deal, like with SF or DEN; "if mcclain is there at 11 or 13, we'll give you (fill in the blank)". Would cost us a lot less than moving up to the top 7. 

I'd also think about dealing Oakland's pick next year in that trade along with a 5,6 or 7 this year.  I'd really hate to loose out on all three of our #2s in this deep draft. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Ohhh, I thought you were talking about John Mc Clain, you know Bruce Willis, I didnt know he played footaball at his age

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

They have other areas to fill and if T Mkenzie looks promising, I don't think the pats would move up to get him unless BB sees something EXTREMELY  promising that sets him apart from other more pressing needs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think BB should try to move up in the draft this year by trading future #1s in the coming years so he can build a defense to the win the SB this year. he should try to get Suh and McClain

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

kansaspatriot, The Pats don't need Suh if they already have Fork. I'm not that into drafting McClain. What we need are OLBs and a DE on defense, not so much ILB. I wouldn't trade up unless I saw a Seymour or Willie-mac-- two guys who were as important as TFB in building the dynasty-- out there. ILB, RB, Tebow would all be luxry picks, in my opinion. We could stand to get better at those positions, but they won't sink our boat if they are not fixed.  

We can't do another year without a pass-rush and a weak end. As this defense stands, teams can run and pass on them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Everywhere I've read has said that McClain won't make it past Miami at #12

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Nick, I think that might change IF Bryant WR is there also, then I think they grab him instead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There are two chances of BB moving up in the draft that far,slim and none. No GM from any team is going to trade with BB to give him a shot at the prize he wants! Listen when teams look at franchises to model themselves after it's the Patriots that they use as the model,with that said noone is going to help them remain in the top 10 teams after watching them control the 00's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Faucetman and ALL:

Trading with Denver is a tough call-They could use a much better 3-4 NT in Dan Williams because their current NT disappears in games.  YET, Denver has been having major issues (moreso last year) at MLB, but oddly enough it's been somewhat stabilized with 2 ILBs in their now 3-4 Defense.  So IF for Argument's sake, Williams is now off the board (selected by Denver @ #12), 

It's NOW Miami's selection spot @ #13.  The ONLY possibilities for Miami (at least imo) are could be: NT Dan Williams (gone to Denver), S Earl Thomas (gone in Top 10 picks), And So Now- As there are NO OLBs/DE-OLB transfers (imo) in this Draft worthy of such a high-pick (Miami also just picked up Canadien OLB Cameron Wake last year, who's been pretty darn good)-  NOW-The Miami Dolphins could really and would really ONLY go with 3-4 DE Jared Odrick (which they might deem as too high for him) OR FS Earl Thomas (just sick instincts & would be a perfect position fit for Miami, YET his smaller size WILL and might for Miami scare teams off of picking him so high @ #12 in 1st rd).  In otherwords, McLain imho is G-O-N-E after #13 in Round 1, With Parcell's love for Defense and in particular, His love for good strong & dominating LBs...

~But GOD, Having Rolando McLain to secure our Strong Inside Linebacker Position and to team wih Jerod Mayo at WILL, would be just insane on D...  Strangely enough, In NE moving up to somehow nab Rolando McLain at SILB, could ALSO secure (at least for a time) 1 of our OLB spots-with Gary Guyton NOW able to move to a more comfortable for him Weak Outside Linebacker position (also there's Tyrone McKenzie's versatility at playing a few of the LB spots so he THEN could be a WOLB-yet he's still young and raw, and there's Shawn Crable's freakish potential in the perfect frame to be a WOLB too-yet he'll fracture his funnybone on summer camp's Day 1). 

~OVERALL though, securing McLain at SILB, Mayo at WILB, and Guyton/Crable/McKenzie at WOLB, and making just an insanely hard push for imo, he ONLY guy who could secure our SOLB position in either free agency of draft IN Karlos Dansby...THIS certainly makes for a very intriguing possibility at least...   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think a trade like I suggests happens draft day on the fly, not in advance.  We'd only do it if the price was right, at the right place.  I wouldn't want to give up any more than 1 of our seconds.  Afterall, we could possibly get Spikes at #22 without giving up anything.  Spikes isn't as good but he is a very solid player and leader.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Spikes will be available in the 2nd round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: McClain to New England?:

Spikes will be available in the 2nd round.
    Posted by timsandra

Maybe, but not at #45.  There are a ton of teams after our #22 that need ILBs.

GB 23

PHI 24

BAL 25

DAL 27

SD 28

MIN 30

KC 36

CLE 38

DEN 44

I would not be at all disappointed if we took him at #22 and got some attitude back to the middle of our D.  Spikes is a run stopper, can shed blocks and is an emotional leader.  If we were to add Dansby or Peppers and landed Spikes, I'd feel our front 7 will be as good as it's been since 2004.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to McClain to New England?:
    McClain is arguably the best thumper MLB since Patrick Willis to come out.

Uh no...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4684745

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedyaz22. Show tedyaz22's posts

...the Master of the Rumba BeatOFF

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Faucet

I hear you...McClain would be a beast. I think BB is just doing his due diligence..I'm not sure he would give up a #2 plus our 1 to move up to grab him. But stranger things have happened. 

What is the drop off from McClain to Spikes?...can you compare each? I like both players honestly, but for different reasons. Talent wise, I'm wondering if Faucet you might be able to breakdown the 2 for us?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Some of these points are well made and some even sound very good BUT!!!!!, no matter how much schemeing or guess work BB is gonna screeeew up all our good plans