McCourty at FS Going Forward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

McCourty at FS Going Forward?

I know it's just a one game sample, but did anyone else like the look of our secondary with DMC and Chung paired up at the safety positions?  I feel like McCourty has such a tremendous skill-set, but has lost his confidence playing man-coverage as a corner.  Putting him at FS could allow him to play to his strengths and be a ball-hawk.  We'll see.  If Sterling Moore can continue to hold down one corner spot like he did today, it would make it much easier to make the switch with McCourty.  I guess they have 2 weeks to figure it out, but it will be intersting to see what the secondary looks like in the divisional round.  Go Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?

In Response to McCourty at FS Going Forward?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's just a one game sample, but did anyone else like the look of our secondary with DMC and Chung paired up at the safety positions?  I feel like McCourty has such a tremendous skill-set, but has lost his confidence playing man-coverage as a corner.  Putting him at FS could allow him to play to his strengths and be a ball-hawk.  We'll see.  If Sterling Moore can continue to hold down one corner spot like he did today, it would make it much easier to make the switch with McCourty.  I guess they have 2 weeks to figure it out, but it will be intersting to see what the secondary looks like in the divisional round.  Go Pats!
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

BB's answer to Wazzu at today's presser:

"We'll put the players where we feel it's best to put the players."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to McCourty at FS Going Forward? : BB's answer to Wazzu at today's presser: "We'll put the players where we feel it's best to put the players."
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Because "It is what it is"  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to McCourty at FS Going Forward?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's just a one game sample, but did anyone else like the look of our secondary with DMC and Chung paired up at the safety positions?  I feel like McCourty has such a tremendous skill-set, but has lost his confidence playing man-coverage as a corner.  Putting him at FS could allow him to play to his strengths and be a ball-hawk.  We'll see.  If Sterling Moore can continue to hold down one corner spot like he did today, it would make it much easier to make the switch with McCourty.  I guess they have 2 weeks to figure it out, but it will be intersting to see what the secondary looks like in the divisional round.  Go Pats!
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

i wanted to put him there 6 weeks ago, when he was proving he cant play corner right now, but obviously could play safety better than cb (great against the run), not good 1 on 1 this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Whatever the Pats can do to win will make me happy. If that means DMC is playing NT, let's do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This guy doesn't strike me as a very smart player, I worry that FS will be too much for him mentally.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]This guy doesn't strike me as a very smart player, I worry that FS will be too much for him mentally.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    I think if Meriweather can get by pretending to be a FS DMC certainly can. He isn't incompitent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]This guy doesn't strike me as a very smart player, I worry that FS will be too much for him mentally.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I think DMC was over confident coming into the season after having such a good rookie year and making the pro bowl.  I think his confidence is shot and has been since early this season.  The move to safety might be a good switch for him to build his confidence up.  I think he can make great plays on the ball now that he will be in better position to see the ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : I think DMC was over confident coming into the season after having such a good rookie year and making the pro bowl.  I think his confidence is shot and has been since early this season.  The move to safety might be a good switch for him to build his confidence up.  I think he can make great plays on the ball now that he will be in better position to see the ball.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]
    God I hope you're right, because I'm pretty much at a loss for words in trying to describe what happened to this guy. Last year he seemed like a guy that was physical and was able to play close to the receiver - this year? Looks like a guy that almost forgets to turn, move his feet...like the touchdown he gave up today...he back pedaled a bit - froze (feet totally stopped) and then the guy just found an open area in the right corner of the endzone. Weird. It's almost like his brain stops working as much as his body does. Maybe it is just confidence, but he's got no problem dancing and celebrating after a play.

Maybe he will be a good fit at safety, but I find it surprising Bill would wait this long - we've needed help there all season, and McCourty has struggled all season. Why did he wait?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I find it surprising Bill would wait this long - we've needed help there all season, and McCourty has struggled all season. Why did he wait?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  It will certainly be interesting to see where he lines up in the playoffs.  I'm actually excited to think he might be starting at safety.  BB was pretty concerned being out on the field when DMC got shaken up.  Don't see BB do that very often. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

BUST!!  Tight hips and easily beat on dbl moves!!!!  BUST  Horrible in press coverage causing him to play at least 5 yrs off the man!!! BUST!!!.. Excelled in ZONE coverage better suited for nickel or FS.   BUST!!! It's just my humble opinion and whether it's too early remains to be seen. The only reason why I named this post Maroney is because in over 40 yrs as a Pats fan, Only Laura caused me to yell bust this early in his career. Everyone jumped on me then and I expected the same this time, but I'm one for one....  Personally I hope he is just injured and comes back to make me eat some serious crow, but I highly doubt it. If I had to draw a comparison to another Boston sports figure, it would be Big Baby Davis.  From season bench star and then playoff Beast to a season of mediocrity .............then POOF!!!! GONE!!!!
    ...This is what I thought of DMC then......and what I will continue to think of him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I still do not have 100% faith in McCourty as FS. Let's be honest, Buffalo benching Stevie Johnson when it was 14-0 made the Bills receivers a lot easier to cover. That said, it will be interesting to see if the spend the next two weeks practicing with him back there and come out like that in the playoffs.

As for why they waited this long to try him out there; maybe they wanted Chung back there if McCourty is going to be out of position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Molden has been a much better CB this season than McCourty, I'm glad Belichick is making a move to have him out there over McCourty. Molden isn't an elite or good corner, but he's serviceable, makes plays on the ball and isn't easily beat. 

McCourty is only 7 pounds removed from Meriweather and Ed Reed, he runs a 4.40 and he's never burned, just always beat. He's great against the run and he has great hands. He has all the tools to be a great FS, he also has all the tools to be a great CB. 

I don't think Belichick is done with him at CB, but I do believe that since we have no one available to fill the FS position and since McCourty has been a liability at CB that BB might move him there and then reevaluate where he plays in the offseason. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : One of the worst posts of the year.  Just horrendous.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Yea in case ya don't know, he's so proud of this masterpiece that he felt the need to hang duplicate reprints of his priceless portrait on 2 or 3 seperate forum walls already.  Makes you wonder...(I don't have a second part to this- which just goes to show you the material we're workin' with here)   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : I think DMC was over confident coming into the season after having such a good rookie year and making the pro bowl.  I think his confidence is shot and has been since early this season.  The move to safety might be a good switch for him to build his confidence up.  I think he can make great plays on the ball now that he will be in better position to see the ball.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I think having no offseason with the coaches and list of things to develop upon after a good first season is what killed him this year.  The lockout hurt him big time.  

As for safety, got to say that I didn't see this one coming.  But I think he can still get it together as a football player for the Pats.  I really think he'll come back better next year.  I still think he has what it takes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? :  I think having no offseason with the coaches and list of things to develop upon after a good first season is what killed him this year.  The lockout hurt him big time.    As for safety, got to say that I didn't see this one coming.  But I think he can still get it together as a football player for the Pats.  I really think he'll come back better next year.  I still think he has what it takes.
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

I do not completely buy the "lockout hurt him" theory. I could see if he had a mediocre rookie year that he needed to build on, or was a rookie this season. I would understand the lock out stopping him from getting better, but he has clearly regressed this year. 

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. He may want to be a CB because CBs get paid more than Safeties when it comes to contract time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?": [QUOTE]BUST!!  Tight hips and easily beat on dbl moves!!!!  BUST  Horrible in press coverage causing him to play at least 5 yrs off the man!!! BUST!!!.. Excelled in ZONE coverage better suited for nickel or FS.   BUST!!! It's just my humble opinion and whether it's too early remains to be seen. The only reason why I named this post Maroney is because in over 40 yrs as a Pats fan, Only Laura caused me to yell bust this early in his career. Everyone jumped on me then and I expected the same this time, but I'm one for one....  Personally I hope he is just injured and comes back to make me eat some serious crow, but I highly doubt it. If I had to draw a comparison to another Boston sports figure, it would be Big Baby Davis.  From season bench star and then playoff Beast to a season of mediocrity .............then POOF!!!! GONE!!!! ...This is what I thought of DMC then......and what I will continue to think of him. Posted by mojobag101[/QUOTE] I wonder what it's like to complain allfuckin day and be a miserable arshole that nobody can stand to be around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : God I hope you're right, because I'm pretty much at a loss for words in trying to describe what happened to this guy. Last year he seemed like a guy that was physical and was able to play close to the receiver - this year? Looks like a guy that almost forgets to turn, move his feet...like the touchdown he gave up today...he back pedaled a bit - froze (feet totally stopped) and then the guy just found an open area in the right corner of the endzone. Weird. It's almost like his brain stops working as much as his body does. Maybe it is just confidence, but he's got no problem dancing and celebrating after a play. Maybe he will be a good fit at safety, but I find it surprising Bill would wait this long - we've needed help there all season, and McCourty has struggled all season. Why did he wait?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

one man, one brain. lot of reposibilities, no one in stature williing to step up to him on a daily basis (no equals out there coachwise) ie with an unorthodox idea.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I like McCourty at FS

his leadership is magnified in center field, as is his ability to be in position to catch any errant throws and his ability to take good routes to the ball and make sound tackles.  all of those represent a big upgrade over current alternatives (I see his ceiling as a top-15 safety in the league out of 60 at both positions which have really merged into one position with all the shifting and motion and subpackages the past few years)

I also liked Moore at corner today.  He broke and made plays on the ball.  Could work.  I like Ihedigbo as a 3rd safety in jumbo subpackages because of his hitting.  I loved seeing Chung back out there.

Chung-McCourty turns the Patriots' biggest weakness at safety into a strength.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Molden has been a much better CB this season than McCourty, I'm glad Belichick is making a move to have him out there over McCourty. Molden isn't an elite or good corner, but he's serviceable, makes plays on the ball and isn't easily beat.  McCourty is only 7 pounds removed from Meriweather and Ed Reed, he runs a 4.40 and he's never burned, just always beat. He's great against the run and he has great hands. He has all the tools to be a great FS, he also has all the tools to be a great CB.  I don't think Belichick is done with him at CB, but I do believe that since we have no one available to fill the FS position and since McCourty has been a liability at CB that BB might move him there and then reevaluate where he plays in the offseason. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

for me saying he has the tools to be a great free safety is a bit much.
    if he has to play because of who we have available, so be it, at safety. next season, hes a backup until or unless he can return to being able to play cb.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : for me saying he has the tools to be a great free safety is a bit much. if he has to play because of who we have available, so be it, at safety. next season, hes a backup until or unless he can return to being able to play cb.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

very different to play safety.  At safety, just being in position will get you 3-4 interceptions a year on errant passes.  McCourty is always in position.  At cornerback, he's just terrible at knowing when to turn and look for the ball.  By not playing man-to-man, he's always in deep zone looking at the QB and the ball and can make plays on it better than having to figure out when to look, which he struggled with

He's also a sure tackler who takes good routes and doesn't get juked as easily.  He also has plus speed

Tell me again how he ends up as a backup unless they sign or draft a marquee safety

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : very different to play safety.  At safety, just being in position will get you 3-4 interceptions a year on errant passes.  McCourty is always in position.  At cornerback, he's just terrible at knowing when to turn and look for the ball.  By not playing man-to-man, he's always in deep zone looking at the QB and the ball and can make plays on it better than having to figure out when to look, which he struggled with He's also a sure tackler who takes good routes and doesn't get juked as easily.  He also has plus speed Tell me again how he ends up as a backup unless they sign or draft a marquee safety
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

good points.
    for me, ok initially, possible.
    good eventually maybe.
    great, will leave that till later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : good points. for me, ok initially, possible. good eventually maybe. great, will leave that till later.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I'll settle for better than what I've seen in the previous 15 games of safeties being out of position, biting on shallow routes and getting beat deep, taking terrible routes to the ball, being slow to react, missing tackles and otherwise sucking

At face value, weaknesses included, McCourty represents an improvement which I hope can put them over the top

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : I'll settle for better than what I've seen in the previous 15 games of safeties being out of position, biting on shallow routes and getting beat deep, taking terrible routes to the ball, being slow to react, missing tackles and otherwise sucking At face value, weaknesses included, McCourty represents an improvement which I hope can put them over the top
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

i'm right there hopin with ya!

Sections
Shortcuts