McCourty at FS Going Forward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?

In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?:
    [QUOTE]McCourty played zone last year and man to man this year.  I assume that he has great zone skills and lousy man to man skills.  BB can either always play zone (by putting McCourty at the corner position, the Patriots defense screams "zone"), or he can put McCourty at free safety which is always a zone coverage position. I like the 0 part of the Patriots' 49-0 run last week.  Granted, it came against a team interested mostly in showing off its own underwear, but a zero plus three interceptions is about the best performance possible.  Arrington, Edelman, McCourty, Chung -- maybe they're a mediocre bunch but they'll get the job done.   The Patriots ended up 15th in the league in points allowed and tied for second in the league in victories. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

By George, I thinks we've got it!!!!  (Don't forget Moore)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : Interesting take on an issue where the entire coaching staff has lauded DMC's intelligence. BB has praised DMC's football smarts.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that. Then his problem is not having the physical skill for the corner position? It looked to me like he did have the skills, but during  games it almost looks like his brain shuts off - not turning around for the ball, back pedaling and then literally just stopping his feet completely...stuff like that. Just weird mental/lack of focus things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : Didn't know that. Then his problem is not having the physical skill for the corner position? It looked to me like he did have the skills, but during  games it almost looks like his brain shuts off - not turning around for the ball, back pedaling and then literally just stopping his feet completely...stuff like that. Just weird mental/lack of focus things.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think it is a physical thing either when he is healthy. The guy is almost a mystery at this point, which is why I really think he has some type of injury that he has been trying to play through. He doesnt' seem to have the quickness he displayed last year in keeping up with receivers and sticking with them on cuts.

Also a mystery why BB thinks he is a smart player. I don't know.....I think at this point, if DMC is able to play physically, he is better suited at safety.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I remember throwing a pick in high school to a skinny safety who had the speed to break on the ball...i couldn't believe he got there . That's MCC ... As long as he is smart enough to read plays ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]McCourty started the game at FS. James maybe got a few goal line snaps where they put #32 back in his CB position. I feel what you are saying with the speed and all that, but i just dont see him as a fit. I know its one game, but for the future I believe you can get fast safeties who can play the game. I think back when Pete Carrol switched Tebuckty to Cb and he regressed and was setback in his development at Safety. B.B, came in put him back at safety and he made plays. It may be ok, but believe me I watched him. He wont cut it there too long in the playoffs and we NEED him to play CB. Molden is no good.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

jay as i said, i put him as a backup cb (and swing db) next year until or unless
    he shows he can play cb again. and get a tp db coach in the offseason .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : I agree Jay but I have a slightly different vision in mind for the secondary next year. What I'm envisioning is McCourty and Moore both being swing FS/CB players when we play zone. As you said not in man or in the box but under that 15yrd mark in a zone coverage I think both can excel, even in slot. Molden and Edelman are our best press man CB's. When playing man you can toss either in the slot positions or as chips and both can excel well. Ras is your starting CB with Arrington playing 50-60% of snaps as the relief starter and #3 in the spread/dime. I'd still want a vet like Finnegan, Rogers, or Grimms as the other starting CB For S you'd have Chung as your starting SS and have a hybrid FS/SS player such as Goldson or draft a kid like Lester to split reps with McCourty but can swing to SS if Chung goes down. For backups I'd keep Ihedigbo since he is a decent backup as a SS (horrible as a FS) and is a good STer. With McCourty and Moore being swing FS's that's a pretty solid DB core there moving forward
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

"Ras is your starting CB with Arrington playing 50-60% of snaps as the relief starter and #3 in the spread/dime. I'd still want a vet like Finnegan, Rogers, or Grimms as the other starting CB

For S you'd have Chung as your starting SS and have a hybrid FS/SS player such as Goldson or draft a kid like Lester to split reps with McCourty but can swing to SS if Chung goes down."

we are on the same page with all that eng (you likely have seen my similar thoughts). except i dont want arrington playing cb.

good tackler, cant realy cover.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : The only issue I have with drafting both a CB and a S is that there are a lot of other positions that need/could be filled with those picks. Are you really going to use a pick to replace the #5 CB on the team, Molden? Unless it's a late pick it seems like a watse and even then it's really a gamble if he would be better then Molden. The value just isn't there, unless you don't sign a vet CB and need a starting caliber CB to play across from Ras. imo Edelman with a full off-season to work could become a viable nickel CB, at least in press. If you are playing zone that's why you have a player like Moore. During zone coverage you could toss Moore into that slot coverage. That flexibility allows you to play to the others strengths in the slot without giving up what the scheme is for the outside CB's. Brown and Ihedigbo can be interchangeable and I might bring both into camp to see who wins out honestly. I just see Ihedigbo being more of a SS then Brown and that would be the backup role I'd put him in. When I look at why the secondary was ranked 32nd I break it down to 3 primary reasons: 1) No help over top - Our FS's have been horrible this year and have given zero help over top forcing the CB's to play well off their man. It opens up quick slants, hooks, and go routes without that over the top help. Having a full time FS in McCourty, Goldson, or Lester should help fix this issue 2) Confusion in coverage - at times the CB's look lost and get turned around easily. Ras didn't seem to have that issue when he played and having a vet presence on half the field will greatly reduce it too. With help over top, a vet who doesn't get turned around, and no more revolving door guys as starters I see a lot of the confusion disappearing 3) Lack of pass rush - Outside of Anderson and Carter who provided pressure? We were one of the worst teams when QB pressure is involved. You can clearly see the difference it makes with the secondary when we get pressure verses when we don't. If you can resign Anderson and Carter and instead of using high picks on DB's you use them on front 7 players that can provide pressure this might the thing that helps improve the secondary the most
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

eng, i dont know if we have a mind meld or it's just so obvious that we have it the same down to the last sentence (including th evet fa and lester). i see you are not on the mb barron train.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : eng, i dont know if we have a mind meld or it's just so obvious that we have it the same down to the last sentence (including th evet fa and lester). i see you are not on the mb barron train.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Well I do like Barron a lot but I see Barron more of a SS then a FS. MB is looking more for a S that can play inside the box like a SS but isn't lost in coverage. I'm more for a coverage S that won't get run over if he has to go into the box. It might seem like a minor difference but that's the difference between Lester and Barron imo. Barron is more a SS with ability to cover while Lester is more a FS with ability to play in the box

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IanUK. Show IanUK's posts

Intelligent DB who plays better when the game is in front of him? Can Struggle in m2m press coverage? Convert to FS?

Isnt that what people were saying about Dowling coming out last year?
    http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2010/12/ras-i-dowling.html

If this year was just a one off experiment with the defense (I certainly hope so!) and a different sceme is in place for next year, it may turn out that Bill goes back to playing to his players strengths as opposed to trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (ie Devin as a press corner)

FS is a possibilty for either McCourty or Dowling, but ultimatly they will always be converted CBs.

During the off season I would like them to target Michael Griffin or look to draft Martin

Sections
Shortcuts