McCourty best 1st round pick ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Re: McCourty best 1st round pick ever?

Bledsoe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

John Hannah and Mike Haynes would be right up there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

In Response to McCourty best 1st round pick ever?:
    [QUOTE]It is not just the 7 INT's , it's the physical, tight coverage, the ball hawking skills and the fact he looks like a 10 year vet out there. Never mind ROY, he is the Pats defensive MVP. Only one season under his belt but i get the feeling he will be an EPIC player for the next decade. Someone refresh my memory, who was the best Patriots 1st round pick ever?
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

i would say that Ty Law is up there in best first round pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: McCourty best 1st round pick ever?:
    [QUOTE]John Hannah and Mike Haynes would be right up there.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

OK, 2nd best ever, sorry hog hannah lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

McCourty's been great but I'm not sure if I'd put him up with the likes of:

Seymour
    Hannah
    Cunningham
    Law
    Clayborn
    Armstrong

quite yet. Give him a couple more seasons at least

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

He might be the best all around 1st round draft pick....."4 down player"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Bledsoe made the franchise relevant again.  Hannah was great, obviously, as he was a first ballot Hall of Famer.  McCourty, hopefully, will have a great career, but he can't be dubbed the best ever Patriot 1st rounder after one year in the league.  He was great this year, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

Willie McGinest....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?ac=DraftTrade&year=1960&draft=yes&submit=Submit

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I was hoping that McCourty would finish the season with more picks than the "vaunted Jets defense" but he came up short.  

The Jets finished with 8 and McCourty ended up with 7.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He's not the worst that honor belongs to Maroney

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

In Response to Re: McCourty best 1st round pick ever?:
    [QUOTE]Willie McGinest....
    Posted by toocool9090[/QUOTE]

i totally forgot about him, he was huge in our run of championships. i dont know how Bledsoe can even be considered cement feet was awful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Was Curtis Martin a no. 1? He would also rank higher, IMO.  But McCourty looks like a rare, special find.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

BLedsoe took an awful awful patriots team and brought them to the playoffs in his second season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Curtis Martin was a 3rd round pick.

McGinest does deserve being mentioned here.  He was a great player for a long time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

I would say it was Seymour. He was, and still is a beast. Probowl as both DT and DE ain't a joke. If DMC keeps this up for another few years then hell yes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What . . .  no love for Kenny "Game Day?"

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

I can tell you who the greatest 6th round pick in NFL history is though...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Riz6. Show Riz6's posts

Jerod Mayo won Defensive Rookie of the Year a couple season's ago, and is leading the NFL in tackles this year.  He deserves consideration, along with Wilfork Seymour, Law etc....but no question the answer is John Hannah.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

Eugene Chung....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I thought Butler was a pretty good corner as well and it seemed everyone disrespected McCourty and passed the ball he's way more frequently in the beginning of the year.  The Pats secondary was very suspect at the beginning of the season and they have all (especially McCourty) vastly improved.  This is one reason why we've been holding the opposition to way less points than we did in the first half. 

McCourty is 2nd in the NFL in interceptions and 1st among rookies
              he is 5th in the league in PD's and 1st among rookies
              he's 4th amongst all rookies in tackles plus he has a sack and two forced fumbles

Not just considering McCourty's stats and the fact that he is only a rookie but considering how he progressed over the season, now think about how good he may be next season.  I remember when no-one know one knew who he was coming out of the draft, this kid is a monster now.  Now just imagine how great this defense is going to be once we draft a couple good DE's???

I still don't know if we can say McCourty is the best 1st round pick ever, but I will say this.  I think the 2010 draft was the best ever. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I think Devin McCourty will crack this list someday, he is obviously special and I hope to see him wearing his 1st ring soon.

My Top 10 Patriots 1st rounders

1. John Hannah
    2. Michael Haynes
    3. Richard Seymour
    4. Willie McGinest
    5. Ty Law
    6. Bruce Armstrong
    7. Stanley Morgan
    8. Raymond Clayborn
    9. Sam Cunningham
    10. Vince Wilfork

Honorable mention - Jerod Mayo, Ty Warren, Daryll Stingley, Russ Francis, Tim Fox, Drew Bledsoe, Irving Fryar, Robert Edwards, Daniel Graham, Logan Mankins.

Hopefully Wilfork, Mayo, McCourty and Mankins get their rings this year.