MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER AS BIG BEN IS NAMED 7TH BEST QB!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER AS BIG BEN IS NAMED 7TH BEST QB!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/06/mccourty_voted.html

amazing. was waiting to see if some one would initiate this thread but oh well... according to USA Today's nfl staff, this is wehere devin is ranked. they seem spot on. i cant argue too much with the guys ahead of him. 

as they did with their 100 best all-time list, NFL Network got a panel together for a 10-week series naming the 100 best guys for 2010. mayo was #62 and welk was at #50. chang bai;ey introduced welker and belichick did the honors for mayo. called him the best interview he ever had next to ray lewis! says a lot.

any disputes about the rankings? who would you put higher or lower?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100!

"amazing. was waiting to see if some one would initiate this thread but oh well..."

I didn't initiate it because it didn't seem very important. 

I'd like to see the whole list and then make some judgements. Of course the NFL Network is leaking this out like it's some kind of precious elixir, which makes assessing the whole list difficult. 

I'm going to wait till they get over themselves and get the whole list out there before I bother to look at it much. It's not something that matters enough for all these drumrolls. Players can be pretty biased about each other based on petty jealousies so there is nothing definitive about this list any more than any other. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

He was 7th best last year  and thats great but going into his second year lets see if he can keep it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Alright, here's the thing:  First off, you ALL know by now b/c I've reminded you folks a thousand times, that DMC was my fav pre-draft CB, and blah-blah, I wrote a thread on him, and then he blew it up this year (obviously thanx in large part, to me).  My favorite position of CB, My fav CB prospect, and my favorite TYPE of CB (ALL-around game ala Ty Law-Tough #ss player who even LIKES to blow up his receiver and shred the RB on a running play, and nasty at pass cov<anti-A$>.  My point is, I just might be a little bit biased here (just a fraction)...

STILL, Let's take a look at the list (up to DMC):

1 Darrelle Revis
    2 Nnamdi Asomugha
    3 Charles Woodson
    4 Asante Samuel
    5 Champ Bailey
    6 Tramon Williams
    7 Devin McCourty

DMC's stats  89TTs  17PDs  7Ints  2FFs  1 Sack...o.k.?  Nasty, nasty, nasty.

So here's my thing....EVEN though (this is huge), they're describing this as "The BEST CBs of 2011" (THIS year), I understand Revis, I EVEN understand Woodson (who seems to just get better at CB with age), I ALSO understand Champ Bailey (who hasn't had a really excellent CB Season since 2006, 4 + 1 years ago) and I understand A$ante-Although 14 PDs, 7 Ints, 0 Sacks, 0 FFs, and 24 TTs-(TTs alone is against Asante's CB religion)...

QUICKLY, let's stop here... SEE, I understand these guys, due to the sum total of their collected years of being anywhere from "Good CBs", during their very worst performing years, to trully exceptional CBs (more often).  I GET it...But do not, entitle the article: "THE BEST CBs of the 2011 Year"...b/c one can EASILY make the argument that DMC WAS "THE Best CB of 2011...yes, hands down to you trolls.  BUT, he IS a rookie (was), so I TOTALLY get the other guys getting the nod.

BUT here, Let's just take a look at 2 of the first 6 guys:  Nnamdi Asomugha: Ranked #2- HERE are his last 4 years in stats:  19 TTs, 34TTs, 40TTs, 34TTs/ 6PDs, 4PDs, 9PDs, 7PDs/ 0Ints, 1Ints, 1Ints, 1Ints, 0 Sacks (in total), 1 FF (in total).  And don't tell me here, that NO-one even dares to attack Asomugha's side, at all, every game, to this extreme degree, Because it just doesn't simply warrant these numbers throughout and all across the board...  Idk...  Again, due to Asomugha's sum collection in this league, I'm not saying (completely), that DMC should be up where he is (as a rook), but nnamdi @ #2?  Wish this write and list do-er was at least, gutsy enough to drop him down...

So now=Tramon Williams=A ROOKIE (just like DMC)...some minor differences being that DMC had zero pass-rushers, while GB had people like Clay Matthews, DMC had Kyle Arrington on the other side, while Tramon Williams had Champ Bailey on the other side (small differences)...  Stat wise- 20 PDs, 6 Ints, and 1 FF and 1 Sack, imho EQUALS DMC's= 17PDs, 7 Ints, 2 FFs, and 1 Sack, but once you take DMCs 89TTs to Williams 57TTs and add up also that BOTH WERE Rooks, but with what Williams had working FOR him as the other CB and an actual pass-rush...  I, to surmize, smell b#llsh#t...

Imo, IF you're doing 2011, DMC is A#1, or 2, or at worst 3...  YET, we DO need to see the "sum-collection" aspect, at least to a degree...And IF you've been average, or just "pretty good" for 4 straight years, and haven't remained, as THE premiere CB...you DO need to be bumped down (to the author: have some b#lls)...  DMC SHOULD get the nod over Tramon Williams, and probably as it stands now, even Bailey...  DMC should be AT worst, for 2011-Right after Asante (I don't even KNOW where I'd move nnamdi).     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

I'd agree to that though he's on his way up http://60maxpowero.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100!:
    " amazing. was waiting to see if some one would initiate this thread but oh well..." I didn't initiate it because it didn't seem very important.  I'd like to see the whole list and then make some judgements. Of course the NFL Network is leaking this out like it's some kind of precious elixir, which makes assessing the whole list difficult.  I'm going to wait till they get over themselves and get the whole list out there before I bother to look at it much. It's not something that matters enough for all these drumrolls. Players can be pretty biased about each other based on petty jealousies so there is nothing definitive about this list any more than any other. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

yes, but lets face it, it matters to the players how their peers feel about them. about respect and credibility. sure u have one or 2 pettiers but most of the time they get it right. part of success is being popular. i bet you brady will be ranked higher then peyton eventhough  it was the other way around on the all-time list. based on last year even those who hate him will offer up props.  

welker at 50 is pretty good. thats respect. i bet the previous year he would have been in the top 30 or even top 20. last year thats pretty accurate. same with mayo. nice to know where we rank and what kind of respect we are getting out there from beyond the kool-aid and choir.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

CC are you high?
     Part of sucess is being popular?I seen some stupid things on these broads but that takes the cake.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

At 1:40 into this video Champ Bailey was asked who were the "next-comers" at corner, guess who he raved about?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d8202fc7b/Top-100-Champ-reacts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100!:
     CC are you high?  Part of sucess is being popular?I seen some stupid things on these broads but that takes the cake.
    Posted by lippa
    YES. take derek jeter. he was ranked FIRST as the most overrated player by his peers. u dont think that has come back to bute him and made the yaNks a bit squeamish about giving him a long term deal as he wanted or really overpaying  him? he's popular with the media but clearly not with his peers. tome, thats a better test. look at brady as envious as most are, they will always give him his props for they fear him. jeter, not so much. so yep, being popular like ray lewis, even if its just perception, is important. u get ads, gave a career afterwards and you bet welker's agent will find a way to sneak that in there in his negotiations with the pats. hmmm, #51-60 are earning 4-5m more than wes, lets hook a brotha up type of deal... i keep it real with my posts, noone may say it but yeah we all intuitively know it. popularity is key in addition to actual results. would pete carroll be where he is right now had he waited to be tresselled? or til where usc is right now? u leave at ur most popular and successful (ask parcells about that or bel in NY). heck , ask terrell pryor!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Its a job plain in simple and they love thier work ,so there for work hard at it and win not to be popular.Well for most of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

At 1:40 into this video Champ Bailey was asked who were the "next-comers" at corner, guess who he raved about? http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d8202fc7b/Top-100-Champ-reacts
    Posted by digger0862

Thanx for that digger...  Ya, It's gotta be a pretty sick feeling for DMC, when he here's stuff like Champ Bailey singling him & only him out, as someone who's going to be for real...When ya here someone like Bailey saying that towards the end of the season, he starts watching your games, and your plays & playing, then he goes & meets you at the pro-bowl, and says he likes you even more...I'd call that a somewhat decent recommendation, right?  Bailey could have gone with any # of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year promising CBs: Joe Haden, Tramon Williams, Aqib Talib, Alphonso Smith, Derek Cox, Bradley Fletcher, Antoine Cason, Brent Grimes, Terrel Thomas (the last 3 of which, just had serious breakout years)

Bailey's a guy VERY much like DMC:  TOTAL game, He doesn't exclude 1 aspect of his D, in place of another.  Bailey, by alll accounts & purposes too, IS an unbelievably hard-worker, true student of the CB spot, and I can't even remember any big incidents (or ANY really) w/ Bailey off my mind- Not the ones where he's hamming it up in contract problems, missing meetings, offseason-anything...  And for that matter, Bailey HAS played on some sh#tty Defenses (Washington his 1st 2 years, and Denver the rest of the time...and Denver had like 2 years where their D was respectable, then the resta the time, the place has been a mess).  Seriously, Can ANYone really name a buncha superstar defenders on Denver, the same way you can do w/ many other teams?  Bailey just ShutsTFU and goes hard-core (he even took lesser $ for Denver).  What Bailey's ALL about, is probably what he saw this year in McCourty: Quiet, tough as he!!, humble, but'll tear you up, team-first mentality in film, class, and on the field by providing a total game package, and DMC had to step in ON Day #1, in order to be nothing less than NE's #1 CB as a week 1 rook, help out with everything on ALWAYS a rebuilding Defense and/or depleted defense at times (D-Line), ZERO pass-rush, & even less pocket collapsing than Really ANY NFL team (3-4 Defense, depleted D-Line, no stud rush linebacker, etc.), and he had to do it by learning a Belichick undoubtedly 150,000 page & a million variables for each circumstance, type Defense...  Not to mention that DMC just thrived as a press CB (10X tougher than off-man, 1000X tougher than zone...even though he's shown he can do them all), as he was suddenly playing against pro WRs, the #1 CB on the top pro WRs, whom he's never seen in action or faced before ever. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Alright, here's the thing:  First off, you ALL know by now b/c I've reminded you folks a thousand times, that DMC was my fav pre-draft CB, and blah-blah, I wrote a thread on him, and then he blew it up this year (obviously thanx in large part, to me).  My favorite position of CB, My fav CB prospect, and my favorite TYPE of CB (ALL-around game ala Ty Law-Tough #ss player who even LIKES to blow up his receiver and shred the RB on a running play, and nasty at pass cov<anti-A$ />.  My point is, I just might be a little bit biased here (just a fraction)... STILL, Let's take a look at the list (up to DMC): 1 Darrelle Revis 2 Nnamdi Asomugha 3 Charles Woodson 4 Asante Samuel 5 Champ Bailey 6 Tramon Williams 7 Devin McCourty DMC's stats  89TTs  17PDs  7Ints  2FFs  1 Sack...o.k.?  Nasty, nasty, nasty. So here's my thing....EVEN though (this is huge), they're describing this as "The BEST CBs of 2011" (THIS year), I understand Revis, I EVEN understand Woodson (who seems to just get better at CB with age), I ALSO understand Champ Bailey (who hasn't had a really excellent CB Season since 2006, 4 + 1 years ago) and I understand A$ante-Although 14 PDs, 7 Ints, 0 Sacks, 0 FFs, and 24 TTs-(TTs alone is against Asante's CB religion)... QUICKLY, let's stop here... SEE, I understand these guys, due to the sum total of their collected years of being anywhere from "Good CBs", during their very worst performing years, to trully exceptional CBs (more often).  I GET it...But do not, entitle the article: "THE BEST CBs of the 2011 Year"...b/c one can EASILY make the argument that DMC WAS "THE Best CB of 2011...yes, hands down to you trolls.  BUT, he IS a rookie (was), so I TOTALLY get the other guys getting the nod. BUT here, Let's just take a look at 2 of the first 6 guys:  Nnamdi Asomugha: Ranked #2- HERE are his last 4 years in stats:  19 TTs, 34TTs, 40TTs, 34TTs/ 6PDs, 4PDs, 9PDs, 7PDs/ 0Ints, 1Ints, 1Ints, 1Ints, 0 Sacks (in total), 1 FF (in total).  And don't tell me here, that NO-one even dares to attack Asomugha's side, at all, every game, to this extreme degree, Because it just doesn't simply warrant these numbers throughout and all across the board...  Idk...  Again, due to Asomugha's sum collection in this league, I'm not saying (completely), that DMC should be up where he is (as a rook), but nnamdi @ #2?  Wish this write and list do-er was at least, gutsy enough to drop him down... So now=Tramon Williams=A ROOKIE (just like DMC)...some minor differences being that DMC had zero pass-rushers, while GB had people like Clay Matthews, DMC had Kyle Arrington on the other side, while Tramon Williams had Champ Bailey on the other side (small differences)...  Stat wise- 20 PDs, 6 Ints, and 1 FF and 1 Sack, imho EQUALS DMC's= 17PDs, 7 Ints, 2 FFs, and 1 Sack, but once you take DMCs 89TTs to Williams 57TTs and add up also that BOTH WERE Rooks, but with what Williams had working FOR him as the other CB and an actual pass-rush...  I, to surmize, smell b#llsh#t... Imo, IF you're doing 2011, DMC is A#1, or 2, or at worst 3...  YET, we DO need to see the "sum-collection" aspect, at least to a degree...And IF you've been average, or just "pretty good" for 4 straight years, and haven't remained, as THE premiere CB...you DO need to be bumped down (to the author: have some b#lls)...  DMC SHOULD get the nod over Tramon Williams, and probably as it stands now, even Bailey...  DMC should be AT worst, for 2011-Right after Asante (I don't even KNOW where I'd move nnamdi).     
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

You totally screwed this part up Laz.
    Tramon Williams was NOT a rookie last year, and Champ Bailey was NEVER on the opposite side.

Tramon Williams is going into his 6th year and he plays next to Charles Woodson, not Bailey.

As for the list, I agree with it for the most part. if McCourty can duplicate his rookie totals or even improve on them, we might have a top 3 corner. Only reason he doesn't get too much recognition is because he was a rookie last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100, BUT BIG BEN IS #41 +7TH BEST QB!

big ben was ranked BEHIND brady, manning, rodgers, brees, rivers, and vick. who would you take out to bump him out? again it makes since to to hear what the players think? clear they dont have as much respect for ben as a player than most of the media and fans. sure they see all the turnovers as unnecessary. yep he comes bak but the bottom line if u put him on amy of those 6 teams with those top 6 qbs, would he or they perform the same? NO #41 seems about right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100! : You totally screwed this part up Laz. Tramon Williams was NOT a rookie last year, and Champ Bailey was NEVER on the opposite side. Tramon Williams is going into his 6th year and he plays next to Charles Woodson, not Bailey. As for the list, I agree with it for the most part. if McCourty can duplicate his rookie totals or even improve on them, we might have a top 3 corner. Only reason he doesn't get too much recognition is because he was a rookie last year.
    Posted by GadisRKO

Ya KNOW I meant Woodson, but I have zero idea why I thought Tramon Williams was in fact a rook...?   Almost positive I read that somewhere, b/c it stuck in my mind even before this article, when someone mentioned Williams and DMC (who's better) in a similiar argument...hmm.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE, WELKER +MAYO IN THE TOP 100, BUT BIG BEN IS #41 +7TH BEST QB!

My top list after last year?

1-Nnamdi
    2-Woodson
    3-Revis
    4-Tramon
    5-Devin

Nnamdi always shuts downs teams number 1 WRs although he is stuck on a defense that normally is some crap. Last year Seymour bolstered that defense and Nnamdi continued to show why hes a shut down corner. 

Woodson had an amazing year to the point where I thought he was going to be named DPOY. Led that team to the super bowl with his hard work and dedication and I think hes one of the main reasons why they play so well in the back end of that defense.

Revis had a up and down year. He had a hamstring issue that apparently caused him to not be 100% but it was a non issue towards the end of the year. Revis is a great corner with great ball skills. He had what for himself he would consider a down year but for other guys he had a pretty good year.

Tramon was incredibly underrated and didn't get the spotlight till we played them and he was playing in the playoffs. Great cover skills and the Packers have one of the best duos in the league if not the best.

Devin we all saw what he did last year as a rookie. Second team all pro, got a pro bowl invite and played fantastic defense on his side of the field. Came in was willing to tackle and made plays on the ball. Normally went against the teams number one and normally prevailed.

I wouldn't put Asante anywhere ahead of Devin or of those guys just because of the fact the guy is a pure ball hawk and cannot cover. He normally will leave his man if he think he has a play and normally can be had. Then the fact he was hurt for a lot of the year doesn't really help his case against those guys.

Champ might be out of the top 5 but he would be right at 6 if I continued that list. I just think you add the fact hes playing good but not great and then to the fact that the guys I listed are all incredibly young and have taken the mantle for Champ. 

Also idk why Winfield is on that list.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: MCCOURTY IS 7TH BEST CORNER AS BIG BEN IS NAMED 7TH BEST QB!

I can easily see why someone would put Devin in the top 3 of corners. He had one of the most impressive years from a corner since probably Ty Law was here destroying Peyton.

Devins rookie stats in every way are better than what Revis put up his year. Sky is the limit for him and he really reminds me of a smaller faster Champ Bailey its crazy. 

To close out I 100% agree with you on Nnamdi and Revis. I love corner play and I think its one of the most fun to break down as a fan. Nnamdi is a rare specimen that the wrong GM/Owner got his hands on. Revis is flat out great player but he can be had and has been by the likes of Tedd Jinn, Welker and Moss. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i put devin ahead of tramon williams

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

BORED as hecccck so I come here to be entertained....so disappointed that you all are still trying to compare DMC to Revis Island.  It is just foolish.  Sure your kid had a very good rookie season.  Noone is arguing that fact but to say he was a shut down corner is just, well, homeristic is to put it lightly.  it is more closer to being full rahtard(my signature has been changed to reflect this FACT).  7th out of over 64 is quite an accomplishment especially for a rookie but he is not close to shutdown. there are very few that are shutdown and one of them happens to play for your nemesis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

DMC had a great rookie season and hope he continues to play like that,but to compare him to players who been doing it for years is nuts we have to wait and  see if he continues before putting him in with some of the greats.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

I agree its too soon to say he is that good.

But just to stick it to whoodat a little bit wouldnt you say that DMC had a way way better rookie season then Revis did in a much more complex defense and with almost no pass rush? Wouldnt you also say thats a good sign?

Sections
Shortcuts