McCourty lines up at CB against Denver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

McCourty lines up at CB against Denver

There has been a lot of talk over the past couple of weeks about McD lining up at Safety next to Chung. He looked good in that spot the last game of the season, and many of us think or thought he would line up at Safety against the Broncos.

After listening to BB, analysts, etc. this week talk about how to defend Denver, I believe McD will line up at CB opposite Arrington, and Moore or Edelman will play Safety.

My reasoning for this is because BB will want his 2 best playing the run/tackling CB's closer to the line to defend the option, run, etc. McD as being as inconsistent as he was this year, can still tackle and he plays the run beatifully. Ideally, the team of he and Arrington, and using Chung to play more inside the box, with Moore or Edelman back deep is I think the best combination to stop Denver's running game.

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: McCourty lines up at CB against Denver

McCourty at CB.. hhmmm It's a stretch.. But i'm listening..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

hmmm, DMC at CB? Interesting, it might just work but...

I think we see him at FS playing deep middle while Chung hovers in the box.

He can play zone and take away the deep stuff Tebow might throw. If Denver's receivers break the CB's tackle, McCourty should be there to clean it up. If a runner breaks through, I think DMC can make the tackle in the open field.

Any errant Tebow passes might just end up in the hands of DMC.

Lastly, I don't want to see DMC get beat by Thomas playing CB, much rather have him back at FS playing zone and keeping his eyes on the ball.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It wouldn't surprise me if we see him play some at both corner and safety.  Now that he's demonstrated that he has some positional flexibility in that regard.  BB does like to mix it up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

mccourty is better at safety, if he is guarding thomas, we will be hearing thomas' name all night

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Given Denver's passing game, the only WR I worry about is Thomas, and I think he can be dealt with by using McD on him, wiht safety help over the top (Moore) as so many have pointed out.

The question then is for this particular oppoennt, is McD better to us in either the CB or S role? I can see a situation where he plays both, and BB continues ot move the secondary around, but my premise was the key to stopping Denver is the run game, not the passing game.

So, if you lined up McCourty on Thomas and Moore at Safety to provide help, it would give us McCourty closer to the line on obvious running plays, or when Timmy tries to sneak out. McD is a better run defender than any of our CBs, so to me, he is more valuable closer to the line than at safety for this reason. I assumed that Chung would be the S playing in the box most of the time, that would require 1 safety deep. Moore has shown he can do it pretty well, better than Ihedigbo and Brown.

I raised a thought on another post, where Edelman couuld be moved to safety. Any thoughts on this one? Do you think BB would line him up there next to Chung?

Sections
Shortcuts