McCourty Moving Forward

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwPATRIOTSww. Show wwPATRIOTSww's posts

Re: McCourty Moving Forward

I would say McCourty. He is young and is only going to get better. He is covering #1 recievers now, so let him learn by fire this year and next year the game will be slower for him. To much potential to not let him be #1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: McCourty Moving Forward:
    [QUOTE] I would say McCourty. He is young and is only going to get better. He is covering #1 recievers now, so let him learn by fire this year and next year the game will be slower for him. To much potential to not let him be #1
    Posted by wwPATRIOTSww[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think he's already flashed more playmaking and shutdown (by comparison) capability than Bodden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

That's not a dilema we have to worry about. 

Last year, Bodden lined up on the left side. McCourty lines up on the right side. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

McCourty belongs of opposite the opponents' tight end strong side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

McCourty belongs lined up opposite the opponent's strong tight end  side.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

McCourty hasn't even completed one season. I think bodden plays on the left due to his consistent record.  Plus i think BB changes the way personnel line up based upon the opponent and the strengths/weaknesses of each player

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

... Brandon Harris ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Pats dont really employ #1 corner system, its just two starting corners. Next year, bodden and mccourty will be a great combo with butler in the mix as nickel.
    Bodden's injury might b the biggest for this year cuz if he didnt get injured, this defense would be ALOT better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Pats will pick another in the upcoming draft, as well. ;)

They've been too unlucky and unproductive in the backfield for the past few years not to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

I understand that based on BB's heavy tendency to use zone that there is no true number 1 CB on this team per say. It was more just a question for those who have watched both to decide on which CB they would regard as the team's number 1 CB in terms of overall ability next season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jetsfan1969. Show Jetsfan1969's posts

Back to the drawing board on Dec. 6 when he gets burned on the slants and deep ball.

Defense looks good is its main weapon goes up big, the offense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Back to the drawing board on Dec. 6 when he gets burned on the slants and deep ball. Defense looks good is its main weapon goes up big, the offense.
    Posted by Jetsfan1969[/QUOTE]

Calvin Johnson is a better WR than anyone you have on your squad and McCourty held his own just fine. No, he will not be getting burned next Monday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

There is no such thing as a #1 corner in the Pats system.  Just left and right.  49, actually Bodden plays the right and McCourty plays the left...not a big deal, just a nitpicky detail.  They should form a great tandem next year though.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to McCourty Moving Forward:
    [QUOTE]Obviously showing potential to be a top tier corner in this league over the next few years. Bodden showed some very solid cover and tackling skills as well last year. Moving forward, I see a solid top 2 corner grouping we havent seen here for quite some time. Who would you slide into the #1 CB spot for next year between the two?
    Posted by MinniSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I don't get the question.  This is like saying, who is the #1 CB for the Oakland/LA Raiders with Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes?

NE will have 2 #1s if McCourty is progresssing this quickly.

Bodden is criminally underrated and has been his whole career.

Bodden has always preferred the right side and BB won't move him now, especially with McCourty showing he can hold it and play well on the left.

In 2009, Bodden was ranked 14th overall in the NFL on CB metrics. And that was on a brand new team, new language and no semblance of a pass rush.

Imagine him on this team this year?  I'd almost guarantee we'd  be seeing a more lethal pass rush and defense simply with him being out there.

Let's not forget the clinic Bodden put on minus the Garcon TD (great throw) in Indy in 2009. Collinsworth made it a point to illustrate that in the game as well.

Bodden was beaten for a TD, maybe 4 times last year.  One was in zone in Miami with underneath coverage, Garcon in man in Indy, but he's as good as they come in this league.  He had a couple other "slip ups", but that's as clean a CB you can play. The secondary was also way more of a mess last year, as was the LB play.

Don't kid yourselves.

He's never played on a  good D. His best D was last year in NE.

Downright scary to think about going into next year.  BB sits on those picks and NE will be even better next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats will pick another in the upcoming draft, as well. ;) They've been too unlucky and unproductive in the backfield for  the past few years not to.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

Mid rounds, sure. I'd be surprised to see one early in the draft. Wilhite is cheap, as is Butler (if he stays) and when you have experience in the secondary, that's what you need.
    Look around at other teams nickel and dime players. No team really has outstanding nickel and dime players. They may be solid, but you won't see many starting on other teams on the outside. 

Sure, there are exceptions with uber-talented CBs buried in a nickel situation that will start elsewhere, but for the most part, NE is in decent shape here developing.

I haven no issue moving forward with the lesser talented players being used in these roles.

Wilhite has been good in between the hashes and seems to have a better handle on zone this year, to boot.

They won't need to many more bodies in camp next year.  They'll sign a veteran FA cheap, draft one and then have an invite for camp.

Gives them 7 or so, but now with Chung being used in this nickel/rover role at Safety, BB won't carry more than 6 CBs, probably more like 5.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Well, they are loaded on paper at Safety.  I wonder who goes?  Does he keep Jarrad Page and let Sanders go?

Does he promote Sergio Brown  and let Merriweather go?

Unlikely, but this will again come down to what each can do, experience and money.

BB traded for Page for a bargain, so if he can't help here down the stretch, he may not come back.

Personally, I think he's a player who needs to be on a good D.  He wasn;t in KC.

I just don't see DB (CB or S) as high priority draft issues.  His whole thingis experience in the secondary.

Now he is getting it, so why ruin that investment?

I'd go OL/DE or OLB, RB or WR early in the draft next year.

If they could do a Clayborn, Costanzo (might need to go guard or C if Mankins bolts), and say Richardson (RB from Bama) in the first 3 picks, that'd be great.

BB seems to hve the perimeter positions in good shape, but he needs to go on the foundation build here in this year's draft (the lines).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport
    RT @: PlayersRep clients Ron Brace and Devin McCourty autograph signing tmrw at 530 and 645pm at Christina's on Route 1

Sections
Shortcuts