McCourty Needs To Have An Outsdanding Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

McCourty Needs To Have An Outsdanding Season

and needs some help from his fellow DBs and OLB/DEs.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/07/devin_mccourty_ready_to_go

Will be good to see them start camp again this Friday, have something to talk about again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: McCourty Needs To Have An Outsdanding Season

I think McCourty has been outstanding, and is this teams least worry. Every legit scouting analysis, has graded McCourty very good when looking at the entire package, including reliability and accountability. This guys plays every down, every game. 

IMO he Pats should wrap this guy up ASAP to a long term deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

we need for him to continue to perform well, but he can't do it by himself. I'm thinking the additions this year may get our defense in top 5-8 in points against...hopefully, better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think McCourty has been outstanding, and is this teams least worry. Every legit scouting analysis, has graded McCourty very good when looking at the entire package, including reliability and accountability. This guys plays every down, every game. 

However, Babe did call McCourty a failed pick just 48 hours ago and had him on a list with failed picks like Ron Brace.

As usual you lie. I said he was a failed CB.

Another day, another bludgeoning of the VI.

That's pretty much a slam dunk since the team announced he is permanently moved to safety, and BB making the trade for bad boy Talib further confirms that.

As a 1st round pick you aren't hoping that you have to change the guys position because he just can't cut it there. At this point the 1st round pick looks no better than a "maybe" after 3 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised of he proves to be a keeper at safety if not a star contributor. But at this juncture only a fool would be saying, it was a great use of a 1st round pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'd be shocked if they didn't do that immediately after the season.

A full year at safety will determine his fate. If he doesn't do better than he did as a CB any long term deal is very iffy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It appears BB's scouting report doesn't mesh with these others you mention. Otherwise he wouldn't have moved him to safety amid the season when he desperately needed CBs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Our pass rush is part of his success, if we give the QB all day to throw the ball even the best Safety and Corners will have trouble performing their best. However, I do agree McCourty needs to step up a little more, but with more time under hid belt at safety I think he will be better with reads against the offense. I am sure we all know he has no problem making INTs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'd be shocked if they didn't do that immediately after the season. I don't think we need to fear McCourty running around with his brother murdering people.

However, Babe did call McCourty a failed pick just 48 hours ago and had him on a list with failed picks like Ron Brace.

Yep. We got some mental illness floating around this board.

This reminds me of when I said of McCourty after his rookie year that it was "so far, so good". Then you jumped all over me claiming he was to be a perennial all-pro. LMAO@U You are just plain dumb and don't know this game to save your f'n life. Most clueless on the entire board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Clarify for me please.

You think Mayo is overrated, but McCourty has been "outstanding"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[/QUOTE]

As usual you lie. I said he was a failed CB.

Another day, another bludgeoning of the VI.

That's pretty much a slam dunk since the team announced he is permanently moved to safety, and BB making the trade for bad boy Talib further confirms that.

As a 1st round pick you aren't hoping that you have to change the guys position because he just can't cut it there. At this point the 1st round pick looks no better than a "maybe" after 3 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised of he proves to be a keeper at safety if not a star contributor. But at this juncture only a fool would be saying, it was a great use of a 1st round pick.

[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt the McCourty pick was GREAT USE of a 1st round pick. Dont forget the Pats traded back twice from No. 22 to No. 27 picking up a third-round pick (No. 90 overall, Taylor Price, yes a bust) and moving up in the fourth round (from No. 119 overall to No. 113, to take the murderer). All to pass on Tim Tebow and Dez Bryant. And, oh yeah Babe, McCourty is a valuble DB with versatility to play either CB or S.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Our pass rush is part of his success, if we give the QB all day to throw the ball even the best Safety and Corners will have trouble performing their best. However, I do agree McCourty needs to step up a little more, but with more time under hid belt at safety I think he will be better with reads against the offense. I am sure we all know he has no problem making INTs.

Agreed. Pass rush is also tied to any perception of how good our DBs are.  

Babe doesn't understand the game, nor does Mt Hurl. They talk about hips and turning for the ball, but if a QB has 5+ seconds in this league with our defensive line being held all game long, it won't matter who your DBs are.

Remember the holding by O Lines in 2011 off the lockout? I do. The message was read LOUD and CLEAR via Goodell. Points will be scored and if it takes telling refs to never call holding unless brutally blatant, Goodell gets what Goodell wants.

It was slightly less obvious last year, even if it's more of a reality now than in the Tagliabue Era. Our pass rush has to fight past the abusive holding in the league now. No excuses, because it's pretty clear it's going to be allowed as part of Goodell's approach to make sure as many teams as possible can put up 25+ points per game for revenue growth.

Every team has to play by whatever rules Roger implements. In the end it is quite basic and relative to:

A good/great secondary can usually cover for an average/below average pass rush.

A good/great pass rush can usually cover for an average/below average secondary.

BUT, in either scenario, a good/great Play Action Run/Pass oriented offense will usually capitalize on and reveal either weakness in any defense.

This year, I believe the Pats will be good or better in all three areas for a great season. (Top 10 D, Top 5 O.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Corner is usually the position that requires the most athletic abilities, but in BB's defense, a smart, versatile safety might be the most important player.  So I'm not sure BB would move McCourty fom safety to corner, even if McCourty had the best corner skills as lomg as McCourty is that smart, versatile safety BB loves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

And, oh yeah Babe, McCourty is a valuble DB with versatility to play either CB or S.

The facts fly in the face of your claim. BB removed McCourty from CB duties permanently at the same time he was desperate for CBs.

And this "versatility" fetish around here is nonsense. "Versicle" usually means not outstanding at a particular thing. That quality is best found in your backups, not your starters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Corner is usually the position that requires the most athletic abilities, but in BB's defense, a smart, versatile safety might be the most important player.  So I'm not sure BB would move McCourty fom safety to corner, even if McCourty had the best corner skills as lomg as McCourty is that smart, versatile safety BB loves.

I'm just not getting why people are trying to rewrite history here. McCourty was removed from CB when we badly needed CBs. Talib was brought in to fill the gap of his FAIL.

At this point McCourty is a salvage project, albeit a possibly successful one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe doesn't understand the game, nor does Mt Hurl. They talk about hips and turning for the ball, but if a QB has 5+ seconds in this league with our defensive line being held all game long, it won't matter who your DBs are.

More drivel from the VI.

Everybody knows our PR isn't world class but all could see that until Talib came in our coverage was shyt even when the QB had only 3 seconds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I "claimed" after his All Pro rookie year he would be All Pro every year? I wouldn't make that statement about ANY player in this league, so you're a liar.

BFS. You're the liar dumbkoff. Always have been.

Your only saving grace is that this place is nearly impossible to deal with to retrieve your older lies. Hell, I wouldn't even know which of your 25 banned accounts to search for the claim from.

Just the other day you called Mayo a "perennial all-pro" and I body slammed your lies pointing out he had 2 of 5 seasons with that status. Just another of the 1000+ times I have proven you wrong. (But you do your homework! LMAO@U)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Dont forget the Pats traded back twice from No. 22 to No. 27 picking up a third-round pick (No. 90 overall, Taylor Price, yes a bust) and moving up in the fourth round (from No. 119 overall to No. 113, to take the murderer).

So let me see if I've got this great drafting down after you've explained it.

We end up with a failed CB that is now an experiment at safety, a bust WR and an alleged murderer?

Who wouldn't be impressed with that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

McCourty was the best ranked Safety in the NFL last year. 

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I'm just not getting why people are trying to rewrite history here. McCourty was removed from CB when we badly needed CBs. Talib was brought in to fill the gap of his FAIL.

At this point McCourty is a salvage project, albeit a possibly successful one.

I'm not really disagreeing with your point Babe.  McCourty hasn't turned out to be the shut-down, man-on-man corner the Pats probably were hoping they got with him. But as far as where he is used now,  I think a lot depends on scheme.  If you're playing man coverages, shut down corners are essential and they are very difficult to find because running with a top NFL receiver is one of the toughest things to do on a football field. But if you play a lot of zone, then corner maybe becomes a bit easier to play and safety a bit tougher.  I think the Pats would be a better secondary if they had more shut down, man-on-man corner play.  But given what they've had for a while, where the corners weren't all that good and most schemes were zone where everyone is facing forward, it makes some sense to put your best, most versatile player in the middle.  

I'll be interested in RallyC's comments . . . he's played the position, so he has more insight than most of us do.  Rally, any thoughts on this one?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Ditto for Jones.  He needs help if the Patriots D is going to be better than last year.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Adding Talib last year gave the Patriots enough fleixibility and DB depth to stop the bleeding from such an atrocious passing defense.

McCourty, overall, has done a commendable job. It'll be interesting to see how well he does at one position for an entire season - but I'm not entirely convinced he's a "shut-down" cornerback - and still has to cover for other player's blown assignments when Talib went back out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

1) A good/great secondary can usually cover for an average/below average pass rush.

2) A good/great pass rush can usually cover for an average/below average secondary.

BUT, in either scenario, a good/great Play Action Run/Pass oriented offense will usually capitalize on and reveal either weakness in any defense.

This year, I believe the Pats will be good or better in all three areas for a great season. (Top 10 D, Top 5 O.)

true.  But even #1 will eventually fail if the pass rush sucks - so, I'd rather have an outstanding Pass Rush.

in all honesty the pass rush and pass coverage, altho improved in the past year or so, had been pretty bad for a while.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I couldn't help laughing at one comment about Brady.

""1. Tom Brady -- The quarterback (and the rest of the New England offense) can help the pass rush immeasurably by building a lead and forcing teams to play from behind. Several opposing offensive players have noted over the last few years that New England’s best defense comes from its offense -- if you fall behind the Patriots by 10-plus points in the second half, you often have to abandon the run and throw the ball to get back into the game. If you make a team one-dimensional, it’s that much easier to defend. If Brady and the rest of the New England offense can build a lead, it’ll make it that much easier to get after the passer.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/05/27/patriots-pass-rush-better-now-it-was-en

Fair or not, I'm reading between the lines and thinking this defense does not put fear into the hearts of opponents - and not known for big/timely stops when it counts the most

Sections
Shortcuts