McCourty Needs To Have An Outsdanding Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: McCourty Needs To Have An Outsdanding Season

"Pro Football Focus released some statistics on individual pass-rushers on Wednesday. According to their numbers, Patriots defensive ends Jermaine Cunningham and RobNinkovich rank among the 20 worst pass-rushers at their position, and Jones has fallen out of the top 20 after a hot start to his rookie season. Defensive tackle VinceWilfork also ranks among the bottom 20 in pass rushing for interior linemen."

a little dated, as it was published December 2012

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Arrington rating higher than McCourty.

Yes, stats can be messed up....lol

http://www.nfl.com/teams/roster?d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&team=NE&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=persons.primary_Position.id.position_Id

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Corner is usually the position that requires the most athletic abilities, but in BB's defense, a smart, versatile safety might be the most important player.  So I'm not sure BB would move McCourty fom safety to corner, even if McCourty had the best corner skills as lomg as McCourty is that smart, versatile safety BB loves.

I'm just not getting why people are trying to rewrite history here. McCourty was removed from CB when we badly needed CBs. Talib was brought in to fill the gap of his FAIL.

At this point McCourty is a salvage project, albeit a possibly successful one.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not really disagreeing with your point Babe.  McCourty hasn't turned out to be the shut-down, man-on-man corner the Pats probably were hoping they got with him. But as far as where he is used now,  I think a lot depends on scheme.  If you're playing man coverages, shut down corners are essential and they are very difficult to find because running with a top NFL receiver is one of the toughest things to do on a football field. But if you play a lot of zone, then corner maybe becomes a bit easier to play and safety a bit tougher.  I think the Pats would be a better secondary if they had more shut down, man-on-man corner play.  But given what they've had for a while, where the corners weren't all that good and most schemes were zone where everyone is facing forward, it makes some sense to put your best, most versatile player in the middle.  

I'll be interested in RallyC's comments . . . he's played the position, so he has more insight than most of us do.  Rally, any thoughts on this one?

[/QUOTE]

McCourty didn't have much of a problem staying with his guy as a CB. His problem was being aware the ball was coming. This has been noticed by very many here. Whether word got around that if the receiver didn't telegraph the ball was coming McCourty was easily victimized or there is some other explanation, his rookie year and the two susequent outings at CB were like night and day.

If that is his problem, and it sure looks like it is, the change to safety should be a big help because so much more of what he needs to see will be in front of him.

Like I said after his rookie year at CB I will say for his partial year at safety - so far so good. But this isn't a done deal after a half season in the new role.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

Corner is usually the position that requires the most athletic abilities, but in BB's defense, a smart, versatile safety might be the most important player.  So I'm not sure BB would move McCourty fom safety to corner, even if McCourty had the best corner skills as lomg as McCourty is that smart, versatile safety BB loves.

I'm just not getting why people are trying to rewrite history here. McCourty was removed from CB when we badly needed CBs. Talib was brought in to fill the gap of his FAIL.

[/QUOTE]

McCourty was moved when Safety was a bigger need because the Patriots were giving up big plays at a historic pace in 2011. The need to curtail the deep ball was more important than coverage to BB. He believed that the Pats were better off give up everything in front, than behind. 

McCourty wasn't moved to Safety in 2012 until the Pat acquired Talib and Dennard had his emergence mid-season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

McCourty was moved when Safety was a bigger need because the Patriots were giving up big plays at a historic pace in 2011. The need to curtail the deep ball was more important than coverage to BB. He believed that the Pats were better off give up everything in front, than behind. 

McCourty wasn't moved to Safety in 2012 until the Pat acquired Talib and Dennard had his emergence mid-season.

[/QUOTE]
    -----

Without the additions this past off-season - I'm thinking the move to S still wasn't enough to bring the Patriots to where the pass rush and pass coverage needs to be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

McCourty wasn't demoted to free safety in 2011, he was moved there because the defensive backfield was so injury ridden and talent deficient, that you want put your best athlete all the way back and hope the guys in front of him play well enough.  

He is an outstanding corner or safety, not just any player can play both, he has no deficiencies other than the inexperience of youth but he's smart enough to overcome it.  Our final starting corners in 2011 were Arrington and Sterling Moore, McCourty helped stabilize a rocky backfield at the end of the season and sacrificed.  

Even a great corner can't man up even an average receiver on every snap unless the players up front are getting some pressure and collapsing the pocket. Also your offense has to score points and/or use up clock, give your defense a blow... this offense has been feast or famine since 2009, and when its famine the defense is made to look bad because they're always on the field.

That's where the term "complementary football" comes from...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Complimentary football is when you get free tickets.  I know you meant complementary, but the free ticket thing made me laugh (or maybe cry when I think what I pay for mine)Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It is very curious how some Patriots fans underrate their own team's players while overrating opposing players.

The Patriots do not finish 2nd and 4th the last two seasons without having good to great players. Football is a team game as much as any other sport.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love how we have a player who's so unaware of where the ball is and, seemingly, a bumbling fool returning kicks.. ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Complimentary football is when you get free tickets.  I know you meant complementary, but the free ticket thing made me laugh (or maybe cry when I think what I pay for mine)Smile

lol

Some struggle when using those words in the right way. 

Wasn't making fun of Wozzy.  Just thought the concept was funny given how expensive Pats tickets are. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

lol

Wasn't making fun of Wozzy.  Just thought the concept was funny given how expensive Pats tickets are. 

Spell check wouldn't have helped me there lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

lol

Spell check wouldn't have helped me there lol

[/QUOTE]

Well if you had invented spell check, maybe . . .Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The English language is outsdanding!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

He is a solid safety, as Mayo is a solid linebacker, Need guys like this, always in position, make the plays you expect them to make.

Also need guys like Brandon Spikes, Ed Reed, even Bernard Pollard..guys that get into the other teams heads because of their hitting and for that matter an Assante Samuals type that does not care about postions but baits the QB into throwing and jumps the pass.

It is the solid player like McCourty at safety that allows the other guys to take chances and make ints and/or hit guys nearly unconscious (I know that is not PC these days but it wins SB's, how else do you explain Balt?).

No doubt he will have a good season, don't know how many will actually appreciate what he does.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

"Pro Football Focus released some statistics on individual pass-rushers on Wednesday. According to their numbers, Patriots defensive ends Jermaine Cunningham and RobNinkovich rank among the 20 worst pass-rushers at their position, and Jones has fallen out of the top 20 after a hot start to his rookie season. Defensive tackle VinceWilfork also ranks among the bottom 20 in pass rushing for interior linemen."

a little dated, as it was published December 2012

Somehow I don't think BB empasizes pass rush except in some very exceptional circumstances. Also Jones was a rook and got held every play with no call, that will change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I was a mathematics major in college so I have an appreciation for numbers. I've noticed some posters here like to use logic and numbers to evaluate success in the NFL. It may work that way in MLB but it doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Success in the NFL is more about a few big plays and a bit of luck than it being about statistics. There is no way to predict how a football is going to bounce. Emotion and heart play a big part as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The team announced McCourty was PERMANENTLY moved to safety. Highly unusual for them to do that. And moving him to S for the sake of a half season "rent a thug" doesn't scream "good CB" in any way regarding McCourty.

Clearly they acquired Talib so they could get McCourty out of the CB slot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No. "Clearly" you're a moron. Dowling hurt, the back end in disarray, it has nothing to do demoting McCourty.

Ronnie Lott wasn't moved to Safety because he wasn't talented, it was because they needed the back end settled in SF.

Learn the game, Pampers1966.

Anybody with two working eyeballs in their head could see DM was a mess at CB after his rookie year.

I know the facts stick in your stoopid craw dumbkoff, but if McCourty was getting it done as a CB they wouldn't have brought in a rent a thug at CB, nor would they have called the move permanent. If the S situation was sooooo bad, they would have brought in help there. You don't know this game to save your f'n life.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think McCourty has been outstanding, and is this teams least worry. Every legit scouting analysis, has graded McCourty very good when looking at the entire package, including reliability and accountability. This guys plays every down, every game. 

IMO he Pats should wrap this guy up ASAP to a long term deal.

I'd be shocked if they didn't do that immediately after the season.

A full year at safety will determine his fate. If he doesn't do better than he did as a CB any long term deal is very iffy.

Yeah, an All Pro season at LCB is just terrible. Playing hurt with a separated shoulder means he's also a weakling.

Oh shucks. I hate BB and I hate everyone on our D as loaded as it is.

Ronnie Lott was moved to Safety to utilized his football IQ by Bill Walsh. Do you know who Bill Walsh was?   It's not a demotion, moron. It's a compliment to McCourty. You have to be smart to play Safety.  You thinking you are a superior GM or coach to BB is becoming beyond embarrassing at this point.

Who is that other great CB on a terrible pass D again?

Only in Queenie world are there so many great players on a bad pass D and so many bad players on a great pass D.

this is the perfect encapsulation of why all of queenie's babble means little...was mccourty on the sb 46 Defense? because that pass D was practically non-existent

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I was a mathematics major in college so I have an appreciation for numbers. I've noticed some posters here like to use logic and numbers to evaluate success in the NFL. It may work that way in MLB but it doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Success in the NFL is more about a few big plays and a bit of luck than it being about statistics. There is no way to predict how a football is going to bounce. Emotion and heart play a big part as well.

I really think it's more because people have been using math to explain baseball much longer than on football. Add to that how much more complex football is (math is more complex) it will take maybe another decade for the football math to mature.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

I really think it's more because people have been using math to explain baseball much longer than on football. Add to that how much more complex football is (math is more complex) it will take maybe another decade for the football math to mature.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think people here soley rely on stats and/or logic to enjoy/assess the game.  Besides, it's better than some posters who simply make stuff up and pass them on as "facts".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Hey Seattlepat. You're not Bill Gates are you? That would be cool if he were a Pats fan. Is he even a football fan?

Anyway, I think we make it more complex than it needs to be. A great coach once said stats are for losers, although he didn't really mean it. But here are the stats that are important to him,

1. Victories

2. Points "because that correlates to winning."

3. Red-zone efficiency

4. Big plays

5. Third down efficiency

http://nesn.com/2010/11/bill-belichick-explains-which-stats-arent-for-losers-and-19-other-thoughts/

Score a lot of points and don't give up a lot of points is the only math you need.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

[QUOTE]I really think it's more because people have been using math to explain baseball much longer than on football. Add to that how much more complex football is (math is more complex) it will take maybe another decade for the football math to mature.

Hey Seattlepat. You're not Bill Gates are you? That would be cool if he were a Pats fan. Is he even a football fan?

Anyway, I think we make it more complex than it needs to be. A great coach once said stats are for losers, although he didn't really mean it. But here are the stats that are important to him,

1. Victories

3. Red-zone efficiency

4. Big plays

5. Third down efficiency

http://nesn.com/2010/11/bill-belichick-explains-which-stats-arent-for-losers-and-19-other-thoughts/

Score a lot of points and don't give up a lot of points is the only math you need.

[/QUOTE]

except when it comes to matchups, and the Patriots don't score many points. Then what ? :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

1. Victories

3. Red-zone efficiency

4. Big plays

5. Third down efficiency

i believe bill gates is a redskins fan but not sure

25. This post has been removed.