McCourty not even a top 10 CB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: McCourty not even a top 10 CB?

In Response to Re: McCourty not even a top 10 CB?:
    I like Ronde Barber a lot even if he is old.  He was great back in the day. I think Leigh Bodden can be on that top 10 list with a pass rush here. Absolutely. Asamgoua is still the best.  Once Revis strings together the years that Asamouga has, then, he goes past him. Revis is at #2 in my book. There are some very good CBs too, like Quentin Jammer, Leon Hall, etc, who aren't GREAT per se, but consistently very good. Brandon Flowers is another. I see McCourty on this top 10 list by the end of next year.
    Posted by BBReigns

One could argue that McCourty already belongs towards the bottom of the list, not just based on interceptions, but also passes defensed and a plus/minus grading system on his contributions to plays (he was a consistently good cover man - I particularly remember Matt Flynn challenging him twice early in the Packers game with him breaking up both fade passes; thereafter, Flynn tried his luck with Arrington, and wouldn't have even done as well there if Merriweather didn't take such a bad route to the ball...)

Quentin Jammer's had a LOT of bad years until he figured it out last season.  Ronde Barber plays in the Cover 2, which helps mask the fact that he's aged, but I do also like him.  Good call on Leon Hall, although he had a down year last year.

I'd say the second tier is, in no particular order: older Ronde Barber, Jonathan Joseph, Leon Hall, Chris Gamble, Joe Haden, healthy Leigh Bodden, McCourty, Cromartie, Dunta Robinson, and Asante Samuel (who could be top-notch whenever he feels like it)

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Did the Pats go 14-2 in spite of the secondary? I say no.

The stats say they were 30th in the NFL for total passing yards.
    But they were 1st in the NFL for interceptions.
    People love to cite blind stats.

Those of us who watched every game know McCourty had a great season. I would put him in the top ten. He was a godsend to this team in the regular season.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One thing to consider, too, is that having corners who can cover well man-to-man will improve the pass rush. The Jets play a lot of man-to-man and feel comfortable committing safeties and linebackers to the pass rush rather than coverage. This is in large part because they feel comfortable letting Revis and Cromartie cover man-to-man without a lot of safety help.

What I like so far about McCourty is his man-to-man skills look good. The Pats play a lot of zone coverage with the safeties deep.  With better man-to-man skills in their corners, they can be more aggressive upfront, sending LBs and safeties toward the QB rather than keeping them back to support pass coverage.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

BBReigns ... it makes perfect sense when you dont think about it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts