McCourty - Safety or Corner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

McCourty - Safety or Corner

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2012/10/23/patriots-pass-rush-will-have-get-better/fav5Hbtut9Pi9l6awZwYiI/story-2.html

Bedard thinks McCourty played a terrific game at safety against the Jets and should stay there. McCourty has the skill set of a safety - he's an excellent tackler. he's strong with decent speed and he plays well when the play is in front of him moving toward the line of scrimmage rather than moving away and running down field.

If you were BB - Would you leave McCourty at safety? And let Dennard or Ras play the corner?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: McCourty - Safety or Corner

McCourty at safety is fine but Arrington starting isnt...

Either way they will still be toast vs any real QB IMO...

Gotta hope we score 40 every game..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like DMC at safety.  I also like Ras-I at CB but apparently he wasn't seen a pracitce yesterday so he could be hurt again.  I have high hopes for Ras-I, I like his heighth, a taller DB against the taller receivers but it's seems like we can't count on him to stay healthy so I guess the Pats have to plug in players who are available.  With that said, please use more man coverage then zone coverage.  I don't like their big open zones, I would rather see a DB get burned one on one so we can see what the DB has instead of blaming the zone scheme.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

right with ya TFB!  From your lips to B.B.'s ears I hope...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

DMC is the best corner we have and also the best safety.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Just clone him then.... or kidnap his bro and make him play here...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

assuming health, I still feel the 3 best DB's are McCourty, Chung and Gregory...with Wilson nipping at Gregory's heels. While DMC may be the best S, makes the most sense to have the best players on the field as much as possible. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Usually I agree with Bedard and find him very accurate with his analysis. He also has a way of explaining the situation that is easy to grasp.

That being said, in this instance, I disagree with him. I thought the defensive game plan was to NOT pressure Sanchez. Play 4 on the line with primary responsability against the run lanes. This would allow the Pats to flood each zone using 8 defenders, making Sanchez check down to his 3 or 4th option. The checkdown would cause mistakes/turn overs, which is usually Sanchez's m-o.

This worked on occasion, Dennards int, Nink's sack to end the game, both clearly mistakes on Sanchez, but in hind sight Sanchez played very well, finding Kerley time and time again.

I see the comments regarding sending more pressure, but who? Mayo and Spikes are better run stuffers than pass rushers. Hightower can get to the QB, but that is not his strength. And he is hobbled.  Chung is out, Gregory is out. I understand everyone wants more pressure by sending more guys at the QB, but who do you send that can get to the QB?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Usually I agree with Bedard and find him very accurate with his analysis. He also has a way of explaining the situation that is easy to grasp.

That being said, in this instance, I disagree with him. I thought the defensive game plan was to NOT pressure Sanchez. Play 4 on the line with primary responsability against the run lanes. This would allow the Pats to flood each zone using 8 defenders, making Sanchez check down to his 3 or 4th option. The checkdown would cause mistakes/turn overs, which is usually Sanchez's m-o.

This worked on occasion, Dennards int, Nink's sack to end the game, both clearly mistakes on Sanchez, but in hind sight Sanchez played very well, finding Kerley time and time again.

I see the comments regarding sending more pressure, but who? Mayo and Spikes are better run stuffers than pass rushers. Hightower can get to the QB, but that is not his strength. And he is hobbled.  Chung is out, Gregory is out. I understand everyone wants more pressure by sending more guys at the QB, but who do you send that can get to the QB?

[/QUOTE]

Couple things I'm not sure I agree with rkarp. With regards to the Dennard int, yes Sanchez blew it big time but on that play the S was beat badly and Dennard had to come back under the play. Obviously it wasn't game planned that way and we just got incrediably lucky that A) Sanchez threw a lollipop and B) Dennard was paying attention and ren back into the play otherwise no one was in position to make a play on the ball. It's hard to say you designed around Sanchez doing what Sanchez does when your players aren't even in the right position to begin with

As for the pressure I would send any of the LB's and mix it up. Mayo isn't a great cover LB, Hightower hasn't been great either and Spikes you might as well plant a parking meter in the middle of the field would do just about as much good. Losing any one of those guys in coverage to send an extra rusher either off the bat or a delayed rush isn't going to break the coverage unit down any quicker then it already is. I'd send 4-5 on every play with 1 LB in the box as a reserve spy role to watch the lanes, 1 in coverage with 4 DB's, and 1 rushing either a gap rush or lined up on the outside. Either way, do you honestly believe given the Pats have essentially been doing what you suggest that sending an extra rusher who is average to sub-average in coverage anyways is really going to hurt this D?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you missed my point. the point wasn't that the S was out of position. The point was that the Pats made Sanchez throw the ball to his 3rd option. He clearly pumped to his left looking for the wide out to the end zone. Sanchez then looked for his rb in the left flat. he then threw a poor pass to his 3rd option on that play.

IMO that is exactly what the Pats wanted Sanchez to do. The fact that Sanchez made a bad decision and threw a bad pass, is what the Pats game planned for. The fact that the S was out of position, speaks to execution, not coaching or game plan imo.

If Sanchez does have a strength, it is the quick slant, which is fast out of his hands, and thrown exactly where the blitzing LB would have been. I think it was smart to not blitz Sanchez. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DMC is the best corner we have and also the best safety.

[/QUOTE]

Which reveals exactly why we have a 99 DPR almost halfway into the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couple things I'm not sure I agree with rkarp. With regards to the Dennard int, yes Sanchez blew it big time but on that play the S was beat badly and Dennard had to come back under the play. Obviously it wasn't game planned that way and we just got incrediably lucky that A) Sanchez threw a lollipop and B) Dennard was paying attention and ren back into the play otherwise no one was in position to make a play on the ball. It's hard to say you designed around Sanchez doing what Sanchez does when your players aren't even in the right position to begin with

As for the pressure I would send any of the LB's and mix it up. Mayo isn't a great cover LB, Hightower hasn't been great either and Spikes you might as well plant a parking meter in the middle of the field would do just about as much good. Losing any one of those guys in coverage to send an extra rusher either off the bat or a delayed rush isn't going to break the coverage unit down any quicker then it already is. I'd send 4-5 on every play with 1 LB in the box as a reserve spy role to watch the lanes, 1 in coverage with 4 DB's, and 1 rushing either a gap rush or lined up on the outside. Either way, do you honestly believe given the Pats have essentially been doing what you suggest that sending an extra rusher who is average to sub-average in coverage anyways is really going to hurt this D?

[/QUOTE]

I disagree about the S being beaten on that one interception by Dennard. I was at the game and so was able to see the field. In fact I was watching the deep coverage. It looked to me like the S would have gotten there in time had the throw been deeper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Kharp - Bedard is easily the best football media guy in Boston. His football analysis and insight is excellent and he has some good NFL connections as you may remember when he had the inside scoop on Waters. He also calls a spade a spade and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers by being outspoken - in other words, he doesn't drink the coolaid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

We certainly need better play at CB and S both. Considering the number of deep balls beating us maybe at least having a FS doing a good job could help.

But do not overlook the fact that this pass rush must get better. Only a team of Revis's would be able to work with this pass rush. If it takes blitzing more regularly I think they might as well because if you give even Sanchez all day you get toasted. Send Hightower, Mayo, and or a DB... one or two at a time but maybe usually just one giving us a 5 man rush. Do not do it on every passing down. Maybe 33-40% of 3rd and longs with an occasional 6 man rush to put some fear in the QB.

And that is a key point... you want the QB to feel like they need to get rid of the ball even before the snap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

IMO safety, he's fast and can tackle. At safety he can keep the play I front of him instead of having to look back. He should make an excellent safety.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We certainly need better play at CB and S both. Considering the number of deep balls beating us maybe at least having a FS doing a good job could help.

But do not overlook the fact that this pass rush must get better. Only a team of Revis's would be able to work with this pass rush. If it takes blitzing more regularly I think they might as well because if you give even Sanchez all day you get toasted. Send Hightower, Mayo, and or a DB... one or two at a time but maybe usually just one giving us a 5 man rush. Do not do it on every passing down. Maybe 33-40% of 3rd and longs with an occasional 6 man rush to put some fear in the QB.

And that is a key point... you want the QB to feel like they need to get rid of the ball even before the snap.

[/QUOTE]

But that is not the point. The point is against every team it will be different depending on what the staff percieves that teams weakness to be. Against the Jets, the Pats thought they needed to take away the run, and make Sanchez look for his 3rd or 4th option. Blitzing Sanchez, theoretically plays to his one strength as a QB.

Against the Rams, obviously they try and stop the run, and against Bradford, the plan may be to blitz frequently.

Thats the point, the defensive strategy will change depending on who the opponent is.

The fact that this concept is working or not working, is not a deficiency to the game plan, it is lack of execution. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Arrington really got taken advantage of in that game. I can't belive we are still in this kind of situation at corner. 

Ras is made of glass. 

Dennard is looking like he has potential if he can sort out he legal troubles. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd only play him at safety if Ras-I is healthy enough to play the RCB.

Me, personally, I'd play the secondary like this. McCourty and Chung at the safety positions and Dennard, Dowling and Cole at the CB. Dowling and Dennard on the outside with Marquice Cole at the slot. Arrington is an overpaid stooge (3 million a year, top ten highest paid Patriot) who needs to play only in nickel and dime.

I was impressed with Cole's slot defending in the preseason, I have no idea why BB doesn't use him there with Arrington getting schooled on every play. I question Belichick's coaching moves more and more each day.

And BTW, Tavon was beat, as he always is, as the deep safety(He seems dumber than Brandon Meriweather when it comes to reacting to a play), but Dennard recovered. Sanchez underthrew the ball.

Tavon isn't read to play deep safety, he's terrible at it. When Gregory comes back, I'd rather see Gregory, Chung and McCourty as the deep safeties. Keep Tavon as a Chung substitute, you can only play Tavon close to the line or he'll play lost out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Tough question because he is our best corner and we need corners badly. I think he is also a better FA than gregory. Someone commented above on Cole. I agree. He looks better than Arrington and I would play him more. McCourty and Chung at safety. Ras and Dennard at cb with cole playing the slot and Arrington/mpore in dime. 

On third and long, I might also try Chung and Wilson as my LB's with mayo, McCourty and Gregory at safety and Dennard and Ras at corner. Chung could blitz, pick up a RB or TE...same with Wilson. I might try a lighter package in this situation. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2012/10/23/patriots-pass-rush-will-have-get-better/fav5Hbtut9Pi9l6awZwYiI/story-2.html

Bedard thinks McCourty played a terrific game at safety against the Jets and should stay there. McCourty has the skill set of a safety - he's an excellent tackler. he's strong with decent speed and he plays well when the play is in front of him moving toward the line of scrimmage rather than moving away and running down field.

If you were BB - Would you leave McCourty at safety? And let Dennard or Ras play the corner?

[/QUOTE]

odd question, if i were bb, i woudl have jumped ship.

if hes bb he wants mcc at corner. cant say he's exercising good judgement there.

if hes gonna play, id play him at safety. in fact our safetys arent good, so it woudlnt be hard to up them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tough question because he is our best corner and we need corners badly. I think he is also a better FA than gregory. Someone commented above on Cole. I agree. He looks better than Arrington and I would play him more. McCourty and Chung at safety. Ras and Dennard at cb with cole playing the slot and Arrington/mpore in dime. 

On third and long, I might also try Chung and Wilson as my LB's with mayo, McCourty and Gregory at safety and Dennard and Ras at corner. Chung could blitz, pick up a RB or TE...same with Wilson. I might try a lighter package in this situation. 

[/QUOTE]

as usual, i concur with both your sentiments here.

Sections
Shortcuts