Mccourty sophmore slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

Mccourty sophmore slump?

It seemed like he was being picked on monday night. I don't think he will have a psychological meltdown a la butler- but he has not picked up where he left off... yet

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nishan6t4. Show nishan6t4's posts

Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?

feels like it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It is impossible for McCourty to have a sophmore slump. King assured me of this when he admonished me for saying that McCourty had looked good - so far. So, it's a done deal, he can't have a slump.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

you know what- with the patriots offense being as good as it is we just need the cbs to be competitive- and i think we have 3 guys that can compete now- and, thankfully, arrington has been relegated to the dime role/special teamer that he is- i cant beleive he was starting last year

In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?:
    [QUOTE]It is impossible for McCourty to have a sophmore slump. King assured me of this when he admonished me for saying that McCourty had looked good - so far. So, it's a done deal, he can't have a slump.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Last year McCourty almost always had safety help at top. The game against Dolphins he didnt and was 1 on 1 with Marshall all game. 

I've read lots of reports that actually praised his performance on Monday

It's all about perspective and expectations. Maybe you expected McCourty to be a shutdown corner ala Revis without safety help. That's setting the bar too high maybe. Revis afterall only emerged as a true shutdown in his 3rd year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Marshall made 2 incredible catches for about 65 yards.  They probally would have been catches against Revis too.
    After the 2nd great catch (down to the 2 yard line), ESPN put up a stat that Marshall caught 4 of 7 passes against McCourty, then McCourty almost had an INT (Chung tried for it too which caused the ball to fall incomplete), so then 4-8.  I dont know how it ended up, but those are decent numbers against a top 15 WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Thanks for the link murghkor. We need more than one game to get a true assesment of this defense or McCourty in particular. I also like how the article gave a pretty good reason of why Ocho wasn't used much.

[QUOTE]Last year McCourty almost always had safety help at top. The game against Dolphins he didnt and was 1 on 1 with Marshall all game.  I've read lots of reports that actually praised his performance on Monday http://www.nesn.com/2011/09/criticisms-of-new-englands-defense-are-overblown-and-19-other-patriots-thoughts.html It's all about perspective and expectations. Maybe you expected McCourty to be a shutdown corner ala Revis without safety help. That's setting the bar too high maybe. Revis afterall only emerged as a true shutdown in his 3rd year. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aseletzky. Show aseletzky's posts

are you f-ing kidding me. This seems just a little premature people

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I only saw part of the NFL replay version of the game (business trip on Monday night), but from what I saw I thought McCourty actually was in good position and made some good plays on the ball.  Marshall just made even better plays to make some of those receptions.  I wouldn't hit the panic button yet.  Marshall is a very tough guy to cover and McCourty was on him 1-on-1 most of the night without much safety help.  I'd say McCourty did pretty well overall, given the difficulty of the assignment.  He definitely could be better, but he was hardly awful.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]you know what- with the patriots offense being as good as it is we just need the cbs to be competitive- and i think we have 3 guys that can compete now- and, thankfully, arrington has been relegated to the dime role/special teamer that he is- i cant beleive he was starting last year In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? :
    Posted by McFEETers[/QUOTE]

ditto

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]No, he didn't play as bad as many think here.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

he is a good corner. he did not play bad against a beast of a receiver. he is better than he played i believe and needs to shake some rust off. by end of season i expect him to be in same form as last year.
      dowling was the best db on the field. miami in general and, including with marshall, stayed more away from him. when he was on marshall or the world class sprinter receiver on the go route to the end zone, he was winning, and won on almost every play.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OriginalPudge. Show OriginalPudge's posts

Just rewatched the game.  Mccourty was in good position on just about every play.  Marshall made some incredible catches and Henne was putting the ball where it needed to be believe it or not.  One observation I had, if you watch the play where Marshall made the circus catch at the one yard line, Mccourty was right in his grill, and he also got his left hand in on Marshall to try to knock the ball loose, but Marshall was too strong.  IMO with most "human" recievers in this league that ball would have been knocked loose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

original if you were watching marshall, the only reason he broke free to make a catch on many of those plays against mccourty was because he pushed and pulled his way free. but up against dowling he wasnt able to manhandle him like against devin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Just rewatched the game.  Mccourty was in good position on just about every play.  Marshall made some incredible catches and Henne was putting the ball where it needed to be believe it or not.  One observation I had, if you watch the play where Marshall made the circus catch at the one yard line, Mccourty was right in his grill, and he also got his left hand in on Marshall to try to knock the ball loose, but Marshall was too strong.  IMO with most "human" recievers in this league that ball would have been knocked loose.
    Posted by OriginalPudge[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. To blame McCourty for that catch is like blaming Harrison for the Tyree catch...they both did more than enough to break up the play, and most other times, it would have fallen incomplete.

Henne threw for 400 yards, nobody in the secondary looked 'good'. I'm glad to see some like minded people here, bevause I was very please with his performance. Great play in the endzone, very good help in the run game, he was in position every time and NEVER got beat. He gave up some catches, but never got "beat".

If he plays like that every week, only players of Marshall's caliber (and there are maybe 5 WRs in the league as dynamic as him) will put up solid numbers.

Also, 14 QBs threw for 300+ yards, defenses, and secondaries specifically, looked bad all across the league. Chung/McCourty/Dowling I thought actually played better than average. Arrington had a few bumps, and Barret was 'eh'. Overall, I thought a solid performance and people are getting too hung up on meaningless stats.

As Prolate said, and it will continue to apply ALL YEAR:

"Stats are for baseball." -Prolate, August 2011

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

a sophmore slump is not judged on one game .........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PiBoy. Show PiBoy's posts

it has only been one game. relax... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree with others that McCourty was in position most of the night and that Marshall made some great catches off of balls that were perfectly thrown by Henne.  Henne had a great night throwing on the run and making throws while under pressure, all the credit to that guy.  Marshall is a tough cover for anyone. 

Funny how Davone Bess was M.I.A and Bush was neutralized after a good first quarter.  The D took both of those guys out of the game and Fasano and Marshall stepped up.  The D can't stop everyone.

Plus, McCourty has set the bar so high that anything but an All-Pro, probowl season is unacceptable to some people on this board.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It doesn't matter since Brady is on pace for over 8000 yards passing and 60+ TD's after 1 game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Are you kidding!!?? He looked good. He made some excellent plays. But there were some good throws and some great catches made by the Dolphins.

If Brady has a bad game are you going to start a thread about how Brady hit the wall and is over the hill?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Frankly, I'm not worried about McCourty, he'll be fine.  It's one game and he did make some plays and there were some he didn't make.  There is no corner who makes the play every time, not even the owner of that so-called Island in New Jersey.  Covering Brandon Marshal is easy for no one.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts