Mccourty sophmore slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?

In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, but if McCourty's rookie year was better than Revis's, and Revis was coined this "best CB" in 2008, by a NY Jets hype machine, why wouldn't McCourty be billed as such entering 2011? McCourty's 1st year is better than Asomugha's first year at CB.  Look up the numbers. Just wondering. Are we going by stats, who each player played with, in what system, etc, or just a label handed out by the Jets organization to feel good about finally hitting on a 1st rd pick? Revis is one of  the best in the league, but it makes no sense to call him the best, when he is not head and shoulders better than 5 or 6 CBs right now.  It's becoming awfully annoying when you see him get beat by Moss and then he pulls up with a hammy just as he gets beat, etc, or just in general is beaten just  like every other top notch CB. He;s not Gretzky. He's not even Jordan. He's arguably Ty Law who hasn't had a big time playoff game yet.  This is why for years, Brady and Manning were considered 1-2. They were literally 1-2, with a drop off to another tier. There is no Deion Sanders as far as cover corners in this league. I am not saying he isn't one of the best, I am saying he clearly isn't a definitive best CB.  If he was the best, he wouldn't get beat at times.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Revis is one of the best? This guy is hands down, without a doubt, money, dead to rights, the best corner and maybe best defensive player in the league. Period. This guy can and does ruin your passing game. He runs around the field all out like a demon. He pulled up lame covering Moss, so what? He's done very well against Moss and just about everybody else. I hate the Jets, but as long as this guy is there, they'll have a chance (he's special). McCourty is a darn good player, but to put these two guys in the same sentence is a stretch. Revis always has his guy covered. He makes all this look routine, as if he was playing in a school yard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Rusty stop diminishing what the Jets have

Who cares what they did their rookie years....You keep saying the same thing.  If everyones current career were based on their rookie years....Brady would be getting paid 600,000 dollars this year instead of 20 million.

Its not the Jets or N.Y. or Media hype that has labeled Revis the best.  Its every analyst and ex player there is..  Gimme a break.  I hate the Jets but it makes you look un-informed when you make stuff up just to prop up Pats players and diminish Jets players.  I watched Revis the whole year in 09 and tried my best to find something to pick at cuz I refused to admit it too, but its the truth, He is the best and McCourtys rookie season was nice but its no lock he does it every year and so far he gave up some yards to Marshall which already sais he is not on Revis level yet.  Revis doesnt give you much, Im sorry, I gotta call it fair, and you should too....its sickening listen to you distort the truth because you hate the jets....  Lets keep it Real!

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not basing it off of their rookie years. I'm basing this decision off of how they play today. Revis and Asomugha have been playing at this level for years where as DMC has only done it once. I'm just hesitant to put a second year player in the same category as guys that have been arguably the best for a few years. If McCourty plays at the level he did last year then he should be in the discussion with those 2 (among others) by all means. I like to see the consistency for more than one season before judging him against the league's elite
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

McCourty has the tools to be among the elite...but he hasn't earned the shutdown corner rep quite yet and wont until teams begin to show that they're game plan is altered by his presense and during games qb's stop throwing to his side of the field...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

When talking about Revis and the 43-3 shallacking; I must say that was the strangest blowout I've seen in a while. When I was watching the replays of that game, the thing that jumped out is that Brady was unstoppable. The coverage, believe it or not was there for the most part, he just made unbelievable, out of this world, deadly accurate passes. I remember thinking, if this guy doesn't play like this against them in the playoffs, we'll lose and we did. Revis is as complete and elite a player as they come, to think otherwise is foolish. There are overrated players out there, this guy unfortunately isn't one of them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Keep telling yourself whatever you want  Rusty.  The whole league and everyone in sports said he is the best, but we should all ignore them and listen to you , a homer who hates the jets....a little bias maybe ,naaaa cant be - oh, you said McCourty is the best?  oh ok.
    45-3 had nothing to do w/Revis.  The guy cant cover the whole field....duh!

There is a such thing as passing over the middle to the tight ends.  Go watch the game and tell me how many plays Revis was beat on

Someone called you out just last week for lying and actually showed the thread and you still refused to admit so I dont expect you to now, but your posts lose relevance when you cant admit the obvious.  No wonder the trolls love coming here, they have a field day with your biased comments...lol

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

A thread like this after 1 game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Looks like he has been given more responsibility by not having the benefit of cover over top.  Seems like it's phase two in his maturation of his CB ability.  I didn't see anything that made me think he was getting taken advantage of.  And the way he continued to develop last year leads me to believe that he will develop as a 1 on 1 defender throughout the course of this year.  Next year, his 3rd year, could be the next phase where he becomes a shut down 1 on 1 CB and forces other teams to throw away from their best receiver into cover two.  

if what we saw from Dowling is a preview of better things to come then I'll be a happy guy to debate which of the two should be covering the other teams top receiver from week to week over the next few years.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Poor Rusty getting owned this whole thread. Face it. Your biased while some of us actually watch football. Save the BS. It's pathetic.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Asomugha was thrown to LESS than Revis last year. So that means Revis isn't "the best" CB as if it's a fact.  Not saying you said that, but just trying to point that out.

Living on the left coast....I've watched Revis, probably half dozen times or so and he's among the best I've seen, reminds me of Ty Law. Haven't seen a ton of Asomugha, so I can't speak to his ability first hand, but obviously given the deal he signed with the Eagles, the guy must have skills. Which of them is better than the other? I'll leave that to the pundits to decide...

As for our guys. McCourty is a big physical corner that has the ability to be in the same class as the above and I really liked what I saw from I Ras-Dowling very similar body type to McCourty, if the kid can stay on the field, by years end along with Bodden and Arrington, we could have a pretty stout coverage team for the nickel and dime packages...One of the key to being able to pressure the QB and defend in the Red Zone is to be able to play man and press coverages...Something guys like Sameuls, Hobbs, Butler and Arrington strugggled with becasue of thier size...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : The fact is, they moved him around and Marshall didn't do much of anything yet again against our team. That's a good thing. Both McCourty and Dowling handled the overpaid primadonna that Parcells stupidly overpaid for.

"That's a good thing. Both McCourty and Dowling handled the overpaid primadonna that Parcells stupidly overpaid for."

that got a laugh over here...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]After one Game? C'mon guys...its called rust.  He didnt play until late in preseason.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

"C'mon guys...its called rust. "

exactly how i see it jay.

he wasnt terrribly out of position either, excpet when he got thrown in the other direction by marshall so marchall could separate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

We need more this

and less of this from mccourty

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

Sophomore struggles for CB McCourty

September, 18, 2011
    Sep 18
    9:00
    PM ET
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For any player selected to the Pro Bowl, following up on his performance the next season can prove to be a difficult task.

For New England Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty, his Pro Bowl nod as a rookie last season raised expectations as high as perhaps any other second-year player in the league.

It may be too early for McCourty's struggles to be labeled as a 'sophomore slump,' but the start of his 2011 campaign has been noticeably rocky.

In the regular season opener, Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall caught seven passes for 139 yards, with McCourty the Patriots defender most often in coverage.

"You start the season against a guy like Brandon Marshall, and then this week we have [Chargers quarterback] Philip Rivers, and [receivers] Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd," McCourty said. "We have to just keep getting better."

Jackson, the top Chargers receiver, caught a career-high ten passes for 172 yards, while six-foot-five pass catcher Malcolm Floyd had two receptions for 59 yards before leaving with an injury.

"There's some plays where we're making good plays, [or safety] Sergio [Brown] is making a big interception, [and] a couple good stops," said McCourty. "Then there's other plays where I got beat on two touchdowns. So I think right now it's about just trying to become consistent, not just making great plays sometimes, but just keeping that going, and stringing them together."

Last season, McCourty made it look easy as a rookie, snagging seven interceptions, one shy of tying the league high set by Ravens safety Ed Reed. This year, his first two match-ups of the season have proved challenging.

"Sometimes I think I did a good job of covering, and other times there were plays when I just got beat. Right now I'm just trying to be competitive and get consistent," McCourty explained. "I feel like I played a little better this week.

"I'm just going to try to keep continuing that, keep getting better, week after week so that this team can really depend on me down the stretch."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He's clearly struggling out there. Chambers and Jackson are no short order, that is for sure, but outside of the endzone break up he made on Monday, those two made it look easy against him. I look how well they wrapped up Floyd, Gates, Metthews, Tolbert, and think that game wouldn't have been close if McCourty had allowed half the stupendous total he gave up to Jackson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I guess we watched a different game.  I saw McCourty a step behind on almost every pass.  He got his jam in at the line, then trailed his man down the field.  It wasn't only Jackson that was beating him.

He made a very good play on the goal line stand.

I don't want to hear about how tough a cover job he had - those are the assignments you get in this league, and that's what he'll face in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

McCourty is playing poorly.  Mentals mistakes, costly penalties, getting beat.  Let's hope it is a fluke.  I remember Gronk having a horrible game last year one week, thenm he came roaring back. 

Bodden has been rocky, too.  The two have been the week links on the D so far.  They both are capable of much better play, so maybe it is just rust. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Marshall and Jackson are going to put up numbers all year. Yes, his job is to cover WRs, but he's not goign to cover WRs of that caliber all year. They are both tall, physically strong, fast and have good hands. Both are right up there with Fitzgerald and White in "best in game" conversations.

Jackson today had 2 catches in the first 28 minutes of game time. Then SD abandoned the run.

Are MIA and SDs corners having bad years too?

Sometimes good players outplay other good players, If he gets torched by Fitzpatrick/Stevie Johnson next week, I'll start to worry. Until then, it's like lamenting your guards D because Jordan dropped 50 on them. It happens. He's been making timely plays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

His play thus far has been poor to marginal at Best.  Hope he turns it around soon.

Sections
Shortcuts