McCourty Stays Local

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: McCourty Stays Local

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Apples and oranges, McCourty is from Upstate NY. That's only a couple of hours away from Mass. He can stay in NE because he has no wife or kid to take care, he has no reason to go back home. Even if he had a reason, McCourty is a driving distance away. 

Revis lives in Arizona, with his wife and kid. So, like Brady, he chooses to rehab at his home state. Brady wasn't in Foxborough during his knee injury either. 

if i remember didnt brady also develope an infection and get all sorts of grief for going to his own doctors, etc...not the pats staff?

maybe i'm wrong

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Gotta love McCourty's team first attitude and the way in which he conducts himself.  He will be a Pat for a long time.

This remains to be seen and would be a break from the norm so lets hope so but other than Brady, I dont think anyone is garuanteed a contract after their rookie deal expires. You of all people should know how the pats do biz. E.Wilson made more of an impact here and he was kindly shown the door after his 4 seasons. I have a long list of  those guys....

is this for real? Pats MO is to try and extend him a very one sided deal. If McCourty passes, it will come down to the wire, get heated, everyone will have hard feelings. 50/50 he resigns.

They extended Hern, Gronk, Mayo without any consternation or rancor.

yes they did, to deals that were very team friendly

What's your point?

Do you think that the possbile reasoning for them signing "team friendly" deals is because these players know what they have here, appreciate the ownership, coaching, stability, fanbase, and that this is the best possible situation for them?  

Franchise-type players take slight "discounts" salary wise to accrue better benefits such as winning, stability, overall fit, etc.

my point is that 25% of NFL players will opt for the early secure money. the balance will go for the last dollar to be had. most players love playing here, and love playing for BB. the numbers are triple of the players that did leave due to $$$. I am not saying one is right and one is wrong.

I asked the question 2 weeks ago...I will ask it again. perfect scenario. Pats win the SB this year. McCourty is voted all pro at S. He wants Goldson type money. Do the Pats pay him? I say they dont. what say you?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Patriots seem to like McCourty . . . they featured him in yesterday's email to season ticket holders:

Thank you for renewing your Patriots Season Tickets. We appreciate your commitment and loyalty to our team and are fortunate to once again have one of the highest renewal rates in the NFL. 

Over the past few drafts, we have selected outstanding new talent, including Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Nate Solder and Devin McCourty. With two picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming NFL Draft, we are excited about the prospects of another successful offseason in preparation for the return of football. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Patriots seem to like McCourty . . . they featured him in yesterday's email to season ticket holders:

Thank you for renewing your Patriots Season Tickets. We appreciate your commitment and loyalty to our team and are fortunate to once again have one of the highest renewal rates in the NFL. 

Over the past few drafts, we have selected outstanding new talent, including Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Nate Solder and Devin McCourty. With two picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming NFL Draft, we are excited about the prospects of another successful offseason in preparation for the return of football. 

BB all about gushes over the guy.

I like him.  Think he's a smart player, with good physical skills. I actually thought he played pretty good at corner last year too (despite what some said), though I think he should stay at safety and continue to develop into the leader we've needed in the backfield since Harrison retired.  I think he's got the smarts to do that. 

Think the Pats are now okay in the defensive backfield.  Dennard, Talib, and McCourty lock down three starting positions and there's a decent rotation with Gregory, Wilson, and Wilson in the fourth position.  Arrington and Cole give you some slot corner / nickel back skills and there's always the hope Ras-I will do something.  Still, I won't be disappointed if the Pats end up drafting another DB or two to provide depth or even to challenge for a starting position. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I like him.  Think he's a smart player, with good physical skills. I actually thought he played pretty good at corner last year too (despite what some said), though I think he should stay at safety and continue to develop into the leader we've needed in the backfield since Harrison retired.  I think he's got the smarts to do that. 

Think the Pats are now okay in the defensive backfield.  Dennard, Talib, and McCourty lock down three starting positions and there's a decent rotation with Gregory, Wilson, and Wilson in the fourth position.  Arrington and Cole give you some slot corner / nickel back skills and there's always the hope Ras-I will do something.  Still, I won't be disappointed if the Pats end up drafting another DB or two to provide depth or even to challenge for a starting position. 

Spot on, prolate.  Agree with everything you just said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

no one disagrees. I also thought he was pretty good at CB and even better at S. the defensive backfield looks good. there are 2 question marks. can Talib stay on the field mentally and physically? if he cant, does Ras or Arrington step in?  does AWilson have anything left?

it bothers the heck out of me that someone like myself questions if Wilson has anything left, and some jump all over that as if I am saying I hope he has nothing left, or he does not have anything left. There is a difference in wondering if he does or does not, especially since he is older, and he was removed in certain situations last year.

but that is not the question. the question is when McCourty does come due, do the Pats resign him? Seeing what top notch safeties are getting, I say the Pats do not sign him. What say you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

no one disagrees. I also thought he was pretty good at CB and even better at S. the defensive backfield looks good. there are 2 question marks. can Talib stay on the field mentally and physically? if he cant, does Ras or Arrington step in?  does AWilson have anything left?

it bothers the heck out of me that someone like myself questions if Wilson has anything left, and some jump all over that as if I am saying I hope he has nothing left, or he does not have anything left. There is a difference in wondering if he does or does not, especially since he is older, and he was removed in certain situations last year.

but that is not the question. the question is when McCourty does come due, do the Pats resign him? Seeing what top notch safeties are getting, I say the Pats do not sign him. What say you?

Well, for one, I think a lot of people disagree.  I've seen a bunch of posters (not you) pining for BB to go out and sign that stud FA this year instead of getting "over the hell/washed up players past their prime."  I think the fact that BB spent money to keep some of his own players shows that he values continuity and players within the system than he does about going out and signing FA that are lobbying for that big contract.

I think all teams have questions and your concerns about the secondary are surely understandable.  Health is a HUGE issue in the NFL and that is no exception to our team, especially the secondary.  I think in the event Talib goes down, Dowling will be able to fill in(if he doesn't, he's surely a goner.  This is his make or break year.)  We have depth there, and I'm sure we'll add another CB either in the draft or during camp cuts.  I think Wilson, who keeps himself in great shape, will be fine this year and I don't think his play his tailed off like some might believe.  Zona was going through a youth movement last year and decided to turn playing time to some of the younger guys instead of Wilson.  I think he comes in and pairs up with Wilson, pending on the package, and plays well.  

As for McCourty, BB tends to lock up guys that he gushes over.  It's no secret that he loves McCourty, and it's no secret that McCourty loves NE.  I bet they come to a fair agreement either before training camp, or during the season.  One of the great things about Brady restructuring and BB not spending to the cap is that he CAN sign his home-grown guys long term if he wants to.  He doesn't have to cut half of his roster just to do so.  That's one of the great advantages of having team-first guys here, as well as responsible GMs/owners.

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts