McCourty- Top Tier Safety?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

McCourty- Top Tier Safety?

Per Pro Football Focus, in the games Devin McCourty played mainly at safety, quarterbacks had a 10.1 quarterback rating when throwing his way, which was the lowest for all safeties. In games where he played at cornerback, quarterbacks had a 78.2 rating when throwing McCourty's way.

We all know that McCourty had his struggles last year at cornerback, but his field awareness, football smarts, and work ethic were never questioned. It's clear that the transition to Safety has not only revamped NE’s D, but has it also propelled McCourty into being one of the few elite Safety’s in the league? 

I'm excited to see how his career progresses and if he will be one of the few players that calls NE his home for his entire career.  Great person and a great player.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/02/32-observations-week-17/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: McCourty- Top Tier Safety?

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Per Pro Football Focus, in the games Devin McCourty played mainly at safety, quarterbacks had a 10.1 quarterback rating when throwing his way, which was the lowest for all safeties. In games where he played at cornerback, quarterbacks had a 78.2 rating when throwing McCourty's way.

We all know that McCourty had his struggles last year at cornerback, but his field awareness, football smarts, and work ethic were never questioned. It's clear that the transition to Safety has not only revamped NE’s D, but has it also propelled McCourty into being one of the few elite Safety’s in the league? 

I'm excited to see how his career progresses and if he will be one of the few players that calls NE his home for his entire career.  Great person and a great player.

I wasnt gonna go as far as calling him a pro bowl safety like others did and also he only played their half the year but he absolutely has the talent, speed, knowledge to be great at the position which is saying a lot because i said the same thing about him rookie year re: CB play but something happened from year 1 to 2 with his confidence that i can pinpoint but early this year I noticed he struggled in man to  man and never got good jams on his guy. When you play up close and dont jam your man, you are toast and he wasnt correcting it, so the choice was made to make him a FS and his CB backround makes him an ideal candidate. He plays better than Gregory who playes FS for 4 years and his ability to break on plays in front of him seem natural and his ball skills will be an asset back there. The BIggest thing is it has allowed us to play more single high safety and be agressive and bring up an extra defender so in that sense the move was necessary and beneficial. Too bad for him his earning potential just took a hit but he has a chance to be really good instead of average CB so WIN WIN for us

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I wasnt gonna go as far as calling him a pro bowl safety like others did and also he only played their half the year but he absolutely has the talent, speed, knowledge to be great at the position which is saying a lot because i said the same thing about him rookie year re: CB play but something happened from year 1 to 2 with his confidence that i can pinpoint but early this year I noticed he struggled in man to  man and never got good jams on his guy. When you play up close and dont jam your man, you are toast and he wasnt correcting it, so the choice was made to make him a FS and his CB backround makes him an ideal candidate. He plays better than Gregory who playes FS for 4 years and his ability to break on plays in front of him seem natural and his ball skills will be an asset back there. The BIggest thing is it has allowed us to play more single high safety and be agressive and bring up an extra defender so in that sense the move was necessary and beneficial. Too bad for him his earning potential just took a hit but he has a chance to be really good instead of average CB so WIN WIN for us

I agree, although I wouldn't say his earning potential took a hit...his earning potential took a hit by the way he was playing corner. Now it probably improved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Hard for me to rate him against the league at this point but I do think he is clearly a good safety and a playmaker at that position. He is smart and coachable and has the skills. I like having him as the starting FS on a team trying to win a SB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Safety-Good, CB-Not so much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Only guys saying DMC suks, are probably the same guys saying Mayo suks. Guys with no brain power.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

And there's the other Rusty.  I've been waiting for you.  Arn't you the guy that said Dink sucked at the beginning of the year? lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Only guys saying DMC suks, are probably the same guys saying Mayo suks. Guys with no brain power.

sheez dude, give it a break

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

our team, and yes i said our even though im not on the pats roster, is clearly at its best when mccourty is at safety, with dennard and talib at corner

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to In_BB_We_Trust's comment:

our team, and yes i said our even though im not on the pats roster, is clearly at its best when mccourty is at safety, with dennard and talib at corner

agreed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sorry Irish I don't mean to hijack this thread but in response to Trust's post, I believe with those 3 in the game it totally jacks the Defense's play including Mayo who is able to play a different more aggressive style then with Arrington and DMC at CB.  I do see and recognize that correlation and posted about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i dont know about top tier safety, but he definitely is much better at safety then cornerback. his ball skills are also incredible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I agree 100%

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He needs to add 10 pounds in the offseason before he can be considered an elite safety. He can cover now, but if he had some pounds on him he could be a top 5 safety...easily. 

He's not intimidating anyone now at 195 pounds and TEs aren't afraid to challenge him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

LOLS! TCal is cool, just misguided. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

And there's the other Rusty.  I've been waiting for you.  Arn't you the guy that said Dink sucked at the beginning of the year? lol.

Nink doesn't suck, he's just managable. If Trevor Scott had started the season, he would have had a better season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

He needs to add 10 pounds in the offseason before he can be considered an elite safety. He can cover now, but if he had some pounds on him he could be a top 5 safety...easily. 

He's not intimidating anyone now at 195 pounds and TEs aren't afraid to challenge him. 

I am not sure he should be puttin gon weight. He is who he is and not someone else. His is not a punisher. He is a smart, swift safety with ball skills. You do not want to slow him down even half a step or he will lose a part of his edge. That doesnt mean he wont or cant but that I am not sure it is something to mess with. We do have other guys like Chung who play the other role.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

I am not sure he should be puttin gon weight. He is who he is and not someone else. His is not a punisher. He is a smart, swift safety with ball skills. You do not want to slow him down even half a step or he will lose a part of his edge. That doesnt mean he wont or cant but that I am not sure it is something to mess with. We do have other guys like Chung who play the other role.

He's too small to be an NFL safety, think Crabtree splitting him and Gregory because he knew neither would knock some sense into him. But I agree, we need Dashon Gholdson to line up with him. Gholdson reminds me of Rodney so much. 

Tough, hard hitting, smart and intimidating safety that people fear. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

There have been many really good FSs in the past who relied on instinct, read, quickness to make plays on the ball. Just as Reveis is good not because he hits but because he makes plays on the ball because the receiver cant shake him... so too a FS can be very good because he gets to the ball rather than making the receiver fear catching the ball.

Being able to intimidate is fine. I am not arguing against it. I am only saying that there are other skills you want on the field. A SS and the like do need to be able to disconnect the ball from a receiver and to come up and make big hits on running plays. But some FSs are meant for other purposes... at least in terms of their primary roles.

I want the Pats FS to be able to get over to assist a CB on a deep route quickly enough to be able to either make a pick or knock the ball away or out of the receivers hands. Speed and quickness of the read is what is most important there. Ball skills next (hands to make a pick... and perhaps return skills). The big hit is not always the skill most needed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

There have been many really good FSs in the past who relied on instinct, read, quickness to make plays on the ball. Just as Reveis is good not because he hits but because he makes plays on the ball because the receiver cant shake him... so too a FS can be very good because he gets to the ball rather than making the receiver fear catching the ball.

Being able to intimidate is fine. I am not arguing against it. I am only saying that there are other skills you want on the field. A SS and the like do need to be able to disconnect the ball from a receiver and to come up and make big hits on running plays. But some FSs are meant for other purposes... at least in terms of their primary roles.

I want the Pats FS to be able to get over to assist a CB on a deep route quickly enough to be able to either make a pick or knock the ball away or out of the receivers hands. Speed and quickness of the read is what is most important there. Ball skills next (hands to make a pick... and perhaps return skills). The big hit is not always the skill most needed.

^--- This exactly.

McCourty's strength is speed, instincts, and ball skills.  He's got the ideal make-up for a FS.  Just putting on muscle doesn't make a guy an intimidator if it's not his style of play.  McCourty is a solid tackler, but I don't think he has the mean streak to be that intimidator 49Pats wants him to be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Bedard sucks.  You think he's telling you something at those training camp reports but he's just seeing what he wants to see.  He kept telling us McCourty, and Cunningham and Woodhead couldn't play when everyone else is saying they're having a great camp.

Next training camp you can guarantee he will report all the guys who played well this year as playing well and nobody else.  Same thing every year with that guy.  I'm not reading his garbage anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

McCourty was observed by many of us as being too often caught with his back to the ball. He showed the speed and agility to be good at corner but his ball awareness seemed dismal. S seems to mitigate that lacking quite a bit. Give the guy credit. He's playing good S.

I think that's great. I want to see all our players play well. But I'm not going to say they are when they aren't.

Sections
Shortcuts