McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

McCourty

Interesting (I think) comment made today at the stadium...McCourty has been wearing the red jersey most of camp, but he is fine. He does not need the jersey, but BB is saving wear and tear on him. If this is true, and no one will ever know because this is the Pats and BB, I do not think I have ever heard that before for a Patriot player under BB? (other than a QB of course) Also, if this is true, I think it speaks volumes about how BB feels about McCourty, the trust he has in him to be ready to go, and I think it leads to an early deal for McCourty this year..

again, there is no way to verify this info, but found it interesting

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: McCourty

Agree they need him badly, strong safety is shored up and there is depth there but the deep field and a speed coverage guy is needed.     Belichick and every other coach has done this in the past.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Agree they need him badly, strong safety is shored up and there is depth there but the deep field and a speed coverage guy is needed.     Belichick and every other coach has done this in the past.

I dont doubt you, I just do not remember this ever happening with a BB coached team...that a player was given this leeway in camp (if it is true)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

I dont doubt you, I just do not remember this ever happening with a BB coached team...that a player was given this leeway in camp (if it is true)

Seymour wanted to be the highest paid defensive tackle in football, Belichick could only pay him a half season, so Seymour played through camp then sat half the season with an undisclosed injury. For half a season's work, Sey was the highest paid defensive tackle in the game, he started 8 games in a 16 game season.

There has always been phantom injury jerseys for particular players, I'm not sure Adrian Wilson needs to practice any more than Brian Waters when we had him.  All these proven vets could show up for game one and be ready to play, if not for the benefit to the young guys you could sit them all.

McCourty doesn't need to out there hitting, he needs to be out there putting all of the young players in the right place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I would just chalk it up to the fact he is a CB playing the safety position. He messed his shoulder up trying to hit people last year so they wanna hold off any conctact to the shouler until he is really needed in a game. Playing the single high safety and being able to get sideline to sideline in a hurry is his role while A.W plays up in the box. This IMO is why they drafted Harmon because in college he did the same(single high safety) so they want to be able to spell McCOurty and also replace him in case of injury with a competent guy instead od Wilson or Gregory who didnt fair well when asked to help over the top last year.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

He is a quarterback.  Of the defense.  As Wozzy said, he just needs to make sure everyone is in the right place.  

Communicating with the others and each other. 

Triple OG I think is correct also in that maybe they're just limiting the amount of hitting he does in camp to give his shoulder even more time to get stronger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

He is a quarterback.  Of the defense.  As Wozzy said, he just needs to make sure everyone is in the right place.  

Triple OG I think is correct also in that maybe they're just limiting the amount of hitting he does in camp to give his shoulder even more time to get stronger.

Yea he played thru some injuries last year. I recall in one game he played his arm was just hanging limp by his side. I believe thats the same side as the shoulder he hurt. Thats why I think it was hard to evalute him last year. He showed a nose for the ball as a Cb rookie year and did a lot of hitting. I just think it caught up to him and now they wanna be cautious because without him, they cant play the way they want and thats why the redundant safety pick this year. Harmon does things that T.Wilson cant and vice versa but in an ideal world, you have ONE safety that can cover and cover field. T.Wilson can cover TE's, but he cant cover ground or help over the top. Harmons strenghts are providing help over the top. IMO if he also shows he can cover TE's,, T.Wilson will become expendable. Only reason he sticks this year IMO is salary more attractive than Gregory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe he's just a "ussy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I keep thinking we'll see him at CB again. He has skills, we saw it his rookie year. He lost his swager and confidence and filling in at safety has helped him. I hope they let him dabble at CB a bit and ease him back. I want hitters and intimidators at safety, not his game. He runs and covers so well, a natural CB, and if he gets his mojo back he belongs there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Maybe he's just a "ussy

WTF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

How about...he's injured, but not that bad and instead of him sitting it out, he's out there learning a position that is still relatively new to him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

[QUOTE]Maybe he's just a "ussy

W TF?

[/QUOTE]

Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Agreed...it also is an indication that he's extremely important as the D's QB, at least as far as BB is concerned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Mccourty has EARNED  the no contact jersey.  Its like a badge of honor, courage, respect.... .  BB knows his value but the guy plays kicking team , runs back kicks, stud at safety, never shies from contact (aka pulling a "Chung"). 

The guy is the real deal... A BB player who plays the game the way it should be played and is smart enough to pull it off.  Too valuable to risk injury since he's not that big. 

Plus you know that he won't get soft since he has proven himself already.  He has earned this status as a leader on the defense.  If other defensive players could produce like McCourty the pats D would be off the charts.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe he's just a "ussy

bet he could kick ur a**

[/QUOTE]

Chickenhawk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

How about...he's injured, but not that bad and instead of him sitting it out, he's out there learning a position that is still relatively new to him.

Occam's razor dude. It's amazing what a forum can do to an imagination. Of course, he is just a little dinged up. Not bad, but enough that they want him in the red jersey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Mccourty has EARNED  the no contact jersey.  Its like a badge of honor, courage, respect.... .  BB knows his value but the guy plays kicking team , runs back kicks, stud at safety, never shies from contact (aka pulling a "Chung"). 

The guy is the real deal... A BB player who plays the game the way it should be played and is smart enough to pull it off.  Too valuable to risk injury since he's not that big. 

Plus you know that he won't get soft since he has proven himself already.  He has earned this status as a leader on the defense.  If other defensive players could produce like McCourty the pats D would be off the charts.

good post

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

That's my point. I don't recall any player who was not injured wearing the jersey during the preseason. If my memory is correct, Waters missed the entire preseason, and came in starting with game 1. I do not recall Seymour missing preseason practice or wearing red in any year. 

Perhaps McCourty is returning to health from injury. But again, that's the point of this thread. It was mentioned that he is NOT returning from injury, he is fine, but BB is preserving him. I am not criticizing this, only saying I do not recall BB ever allowing a healthy player to wear red thru preseason camp. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've been curious about that red jersey on McCourty myself.  Intersting point about essentially treating him as the D's QB from that perspective. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I've been curious about that red jersey on McCourty myself.  Intersting point about essentially treating him as the D's QB from that perspective. 

Interestingly enough this was a topic of discussion yesterday on EEI. Andy Hart said he observed McCourty the day Brady got hurt flexing and rotaing his shoulder as if he had some irratation or discomfort.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Of course he is still hurt, but if the pats can convince anyone that he isnt, they will. He tried to practice one day without it and the next day it was back on. When I was out there I noticed him moving his arm around alot , trying to get his shoulder stretched, lots of movement so obviously he is still not comfortable yet.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver