McD clarifies the direction of the offense.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

McD clarifies the direction of the offense.

"We’ll go each week and try to do what we think is best to help us win. Sometimes that may include playing more multiple tight ends. Sometimes it might be playing a lot more receivers. We kind of try to feel that out as we go through our preparation and then make the decisions that go along with it.” (Josh McDaniels)

The direction of the offense remains what it has always been. They will try to do what proves to be most effective in securing a victory against that particular opponent. On other words, they will run more if it's working. Nothing new in that philosophy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: McD clarifies the direction of the offense.

Run more wide receivers, there are only 4 on the roster?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Plus you need to talk with enough ambiguity so you don't tip off what your philosophy actually  is.

that said , game 1 told the story clearly : mix the placalling enough to make the defense back up and spread the ball around.

Two things prior OC couldn't quite grasp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Babe is desperate afraid that some other aspect of the offense might share the spotlight with Brady

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

he doesn't appreciate the complexity of the handoff

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I don't get the need why anyone felt i tprudent to poke fun at babe.

He provides a useful bit of knowledge, and somehow he must have alterior motives.

As for the actual content here, I'd read a similar thing through Yahoo (as Welker is on my fantasy team) a week ago, and was curious why, in light of all the Welker conspiracies flying around, no Boston scribe had come up with a quote or two.

As someone above mentioned..it's nice to get back to an OC who knows what he's doing, and isn't trying to look good for a job. I was NEVER happy with O'Brien calling plays. If I can predict that many plays based on personel from home, I shuddered to think what the Def coordinators were drooling over.

Very refreshing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I'm not convinced that McD was an unpredictable play caller.

At first glance, it appears that he used what he had to his advantage.

YR           Pass       Rush      Ratio

2011       612         438         1.40         Maroney, Ridley                    SB Loss To Giants #2

2010       597         454         1.31           Gronk, Hernadez, Crumpler

2009       592         466         1.27           Maroney

*2008    534         513         1.04            Cassel QB

*2007    612         438         1.39           Maroney, Moss                       SB Loss To Giants #1

*2006    527         499         1.05            Dillon, Maroney

2005       564         439         1.28           Dillon

2004       485         524         0.93          illon, Faulk, 2 FB                     SB Win #3

2003       537         473         1.14          A.Smith, Faulk, 2 FB                SB Win #2

2002       605         395         1.53           A. Smith, Faulk, 2 FB

2001       482         473         1.02          A. Smith, Faulk, 2 FB              SB Win #1, Brady QB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Much better now.  IMO they are two completely different coordinators. Mcdaniels has a different philosophy and it looks like a much deeper playbook than Obrien.  The game against Balitimore will be telling, going up against a very good defense. The past couple of years its been line up in the shotgun, go across the middle, hopefully Brady gets the pass off before the pass rush.  The defense knew what was coming, players have been quoted saying such.  The way they played it last week makes it a challenge and keep the defense honest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Plus you need to talk with enough ambiguity so you don't tip off what your philosophy actually  is.

that said , game 1 told the story clearly : mix the placalling enough to make the defense back up and spread the ball around.

[/QUOTE]

Ambiguity? My philosophy, and obviously BB/McD's is that which has been the staple of winning football from the beginning. You do what is working.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ambiguity? My philosophy, and obviously BB/McD's is that which has been the staple of winning football from the beginning. You do what is working.

[/QUOTE]

well, whatever they did in the two SB losses to the Giants....didn't work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As someone above mentioned..it's nice to get back to an OC who knows what he's doing, and isn't trying to look good for a job. [/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who remembers all the vitriol swirling around the pass-happy McDaniels the last time he was here?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the first time Brady has a bad day, we'll be hearing a familiar refrain.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one who remembers all the vitriol swirling around the pass-happy McDaniels the last time he was here?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the first time Brady has a bad day, we'll be hearing a familiar refrain.

[/QUOTE]

well, that was my my first thought too. The thing is, I'm getting older and have never had a good long or short term memory - so, I was giving peeps a benefit of the doubt.

I just remember him being so predictable...much like Obie....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Am I the only one who remembers all the vitriol swirling around the pass-happy McDaniels the last time he was here?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the first time Brady has a bad day, we'll be hearing a familiar refrain.[/QUOTE]

I do seem to remember one poster spending the better part of last year (before McDaniels was rehired, of course) complaining about the "McDaniels shotgun spread." 

And as far as those oft-criticized Giants super bowls with the grossly skewed run-pass ratios . . . . Bill O'Brien wasn't the offensive coordinator for both.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day the Patriots offense under Belicheck has alway tried to play to its stregnths, based on the opponents defensive prowess.

When we play a team with a stout run defenses, he spreads the field and uses 4 and 5 reciever sets dinking and dunking his way down the field (see Vikings of a few years back).

What he has yet to do is find the formula for beating defenses that have the abiltiy to push the pocket and get after Brady (Ravens, Giants, etc). That is where the kid Ridley comes into play and his ability to run the ball between the tackles. End of the day we have not had a legit run game since Cory Dillion laced up his cleats..Instead have morphed into a finesse offesne relying to heavility on the pass...

Therein lyes what I believe to be why our offense fails to close out, close games, late. See the last two super bowls v the Giants. Where in both games we had the ball and the lead late in forth quarter and had we been able to sustain drives. The outcome of both would be different today IMHO. Running the football and stopping the run are both hallmarks of championship football. A formula we used before Brady became the focal point of the offense. One that IMHO needs to be incorporated into the current sceme more often early in the game and used with greater emphesis once we have a lead of two scores or more...

As for McDaniels and this years squad if the offensive line holds up with Brady at the helm. Given the ability of the skill players, when we line up in four reciever/1 back sets with Llyod, Welker, Gronk & Hernandez on the field with Ridley in the backfield. This years skill players match up with any team in todays game and might be the best the Patriots have ever had. Scoring points wont be tough and this years team could approach the 500 mark in points scored...With the addition of Llyod (the deep threat), opposing defenses now have to defend the entire field. With Ridley in the backfield they also have to respect the run too. Who in combination when they are on the field keep the opposing safeties honest. When the strong or free safety both are 20 yard off the line, they can then pound them with Ridley...If the strong safety cheat up inside to support the run. They can then attack with Gronk and Hernandez in single coverage against linebackers...If they play cover two with a safety over the top of Llyod. It allows Welker to work underneath and attack the area vacated by the middle linebacker.

Make no mistake about it, our ability to run the ball while it doesnt have the same glitz and appeal of the passing game. It is a fundemental key to the overall success of the team and IMHO must play a greater role. Especially in the red zone and the forth quarter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Am I the only one who remembers all the vitriol swirling around the pass-happy McDaniels the last time he was here?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the first time Brady has a bad day, we'll be hearing a familiar refrain.[/QUOTE]

I do seem to remember one poster spending the better part of last year (before McDaniels was rehired, of course) complaining about the "McDaniels shotgun spread." 

And as far as those oft-criticized Giants super bowls with the grossly skewed run-pass ratios . . . . Bill O'Brien wasn't the offensive coordinator for both.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I remember that same poster talking about McDaniels and how his shotgun spread ruined this offense. I think the philosophy is and will always be the same - Bill Belichick thinks the best way to win is to attack a team's weakness. If a team can't defend the run he will run it, if a team can't defend the pass he will pass it. Nothing has really changed and it shouldn't - it makes sense.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

07 was a fluke year that is unlikely to ever be replicated by any team. That was fool's gold, as proven in the Super Bowl. It was fun and exciting to watch, and ALL of us got caught up in it, even Brady laughing when told one of the Giants predicted holding them to only 14 points. "14 points? THIS offense?" Not one of his finer quotes.

06 and 08 were McD years, and those were the closest to balance over the past 7. Weis handled it pre-05. Interestingly, the most lopsided year was also the worst under BB: 2002, 9-7 and missed the playoffs on the final Sunday of the year (Thanks Favre, you STIFF).

I'd be surprised if this year ended up over 1.1. If Brady can revert back to the "my favortie receiver is the open one", as he seemed to in Week 1, I honestly see another destiny-type run over the next 2-5 years. The have the receiving options, and have committed to finding a running option, which Ridley may very well be. Cutting Branch, Stallworth AND Gaffney showed me they have absolutely changed the philosophy they WERE using for the past few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but Rusty doesn't speak for all of us, he merely parrots what some of us say and skews it to the worst possible degree.  No reasonable poster who pushed for balance (which we now have) ever suggested that we should stop passing in favor of running, only that we should do both.

The short of it all is that O'Brien sux, that's why a baby faced kid was promoted to offensive coordinator ahead of him back in 2006.  

When the Pat's face a formidable front this year that can stop the run, don't expect them to have overwhelming success, but the difference between McDaniels and Obie is that Josh will keep running regardless.... Obie would abandon the run completely and watch as Tommy got the snot kicked out of him.  He was predictable and obvious, he didn't pass the eyeball test.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no, he wasn't.....imo, the coaching staff for both of those losses did not have a good plan b when the spread didn't work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

oh, and I equally blame the defense for not being able to hold up their end of the bargain during those losses too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well, whatever they did in the two SB losses to the Giants....didn't work.

I can answer that for you. 90 pass to 35 rush.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

McD wasn't the architect of the spread offense. Weiss used it plenty, he just didn't only use it. McD was the 1st OC to have dominant weapons on offense, and he used them to the tune of 50 td passes. We were all happy when that happened, we just didn't realize we would try and duplicate that outcome at the cost of abandoning other aspects of the offense. I would look at 2008 when we ran some of the most att's in the NFL after Brady went down as evidence that McD can call it both ways and be effective. We went 11-5 with a QB who never played football before because McD was brilliant on calling games and helping his QB to be successful. Did Bill obrien help Brady? I don't think so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

McD wasn't the architect of the spread offense. Weiss used it plenty, he just didn't only use it. McD was the 1st OC to have dominant weapons on offense, and he used them to the tune of 50 td passes. We were all happy when that happened, we just didn't realize we would try and duplicate that outcome at the cost of abandoning other aspects of the offense. I would look at 2008 when we ran some of the most att's in the NFL after Brady went down as evidence that McD can call it both ways and be effective. We went 11-5 with a QB who never played football before because McD was brilliant on calling games and helping his QB to be successful. Did Bill obrien help Brady? I don't think so.

[/QUOTE]

no, he wasn't the architect.  I just don't remember him being this unpredictable play caller that some seem to remember. Not that I'm complaining at all - I liked what was done in the first game of the season....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[/QUOTE]

no, he wasn't the architect.  I just don't remember him being this unpredictable play caller that some seem to remember. Not that I'm complaining at all - I liked what was done in the first game of the season....

[/QUOTE]

2007 was about as impressive a single season of offense as you'll find in the annals of football history, that had more to do with McDaniels than anyone else not named Brady. The 07 team ran early and often in the season than tailed off late in the season because of heightened success of the passing attack but also nagging injuries to Maroney; he only played another season and half after that.

That team just ran out of juice, they hadn't lost a game in over a calendar year and went undefeated in a 16 regular season games (sorry Dollfans but that's impressive).   

McDaniel's play calling the following year was more impressive, helping shepard a rookie QB through it all with inventive run plays and timely play action, he showed he could play it close to the vest like Weis.  He is that good, substantially better than the man he replaced.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

And, apparently, that direction is downward . . .

Sections
Shortcuts