McDaniels a negative for the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveNorthShore. Show DaveNorthShore's posts

McDaniels a negative for the playoffs?

I see everyone is happy McDaniels is back.  So am I for his potential next year

But I wonder if adding a new voice to the offensive game plan this late in the year will cause confusion and problems?  what if he and BOB disagree on a play/strategy during the game?  Could it lead to the offense being out of sorts enough that Denver can stop them?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: McDaniels a negative for the playoffs?

No I think his job this week is to learn from O'Brien what exactly the Patriots changed since he left (particularly the 2te stuff)

I particularly like having McDaniels if the Pats face Baltimore or Houston (one more great offensive mind to help figure out ways to beat them)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

No, glad he showed up, wish we could find a defensive consultant too.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If BB thinks it's a smart move, what evidence do we have to question it? The guy was the Head Coach in Denver. Don't you suppose he might have a couple of positives to add to the conversation?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As RWTK notes, another pair of eyes to enhance this offense.  No way McD revamps it all the way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Too many cooks, spoil the soup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

On one hand you have the current offensive coordinator that got them here and would probably like to have no doubt of where the credit should go, if they were to show well in the post season. On the other hand he already got his head coaching gig - so is he worried about the credit?

Personally I think if they advance McDaniels will take over more and more of the responsibilities, as O'Brien starts doing his early preparations for Penn State.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Unless McDaniels can play cornerback, I don't see him being of much help.  It's not like the Pats' offence needing tweaking or anything.  I'd bet he'll spend more time with the defensive coaches than with the offense.  But even so, I'm not sure he had much to do with the offense being run by the Broncs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Don't you suppose he might know a thing or two about the strenghts/weaknesses of the personnel that might be exploited?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's always a positive to bring the most experience you can to the table.  I see no downside.  Like mthurl, I wouldn't be shocked to see O'Brien let out of his current responsibilities.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I for one can't see how ADDING  a really good OC to the staff could hurt? Stop the nonsense!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: McDaniels a negative for the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]This is another useless thread.  How is a guy getting a jump start on next year early and being a consultant a problem? Christ, if ANY set of eyes added to O'Brien or BB/Brady's 1st halves would have happened earlier this year, this team is 15-1, not 13-3. We could have used that earlier instead of biting our nails as our offense looked horrendous in first halves for 10 games this year. Christ, even Tebow looked better than our offense today in the first half than we normally do. Stop over-analyzing everything. Pats will slap Denver next week and host Houston or Balt in the AFC title game.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

"Christ, if ANY set of eyes added to O'Brien or BB/Brady's 1st halves would have happened earlier this year, this team is 15-1, not 13-3. We could have used that earlier instead of biting our nails as our offense looked horrendous in first halves for 10 games this year."

love it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The last lesson McDaniel's learned as a Patriot was a hard one in the Super Bowl, I'd like to see a revenge match against the Giants.  To be sure the last time we were really overwhelming offensively he was at the helm, he got Maroney averaging 4.5 yards a carry and had multiple 100+ yard playoff games until the Super Bowl.  I'd be interested to see what he does with the new personnel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]Unless McDaniels can play cornerback, I don't see him being of much help.  It's not like the Pats' offence needing tweaking or anything.  I'd bet he'll spend more time with the defensive coaches than with the offense.  But even so, I'm not sure he had much to do with the offense being run by the Broncs.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

So you don't think the offense's continuous 3 and outs in the first half, inability to score off the first possession in the 2nd half, and predictable play calling could be tweaked at all? By no means am I dissing our offense. It's one of the bets in the league but there is room for improvement. The points at the end of the game are there which is valuable and all but it could be better. When you have the weapons we have and the best QB of all time, you need to take advantage of it. I think another voice, McDaniels, we could add a little more creativity to the offensive playcalling.

However, I don't think he'll have much say. I see nothing but positiveness with him 'tagging' along for the postseason run in regards to next year getting back the OC position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

McDaniels willingness to run wildcat type plays(as he did with the broncos) and his knowledge of some of the broncos players can be seen as nothing but an asset. Hes the out of the box thinking we need in the playoffs. as the last two years we have been very vanilla in our play calling.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

"...we have been very vanilla in our play calling."

Who cares what it looks like...we score 500pts a season and it wins games. I don't think the coaches care much how diversified their play calling is if it continues to work and win games. They've started slow in so many games because of a failure to execute a game plan. Not because of predicability. And the play calling may look vanilla to you...but if you really watch the film, the Pats run a bunch of similar plays from similar formations, but their are subtleties that make it difficult for defenses to pickup, but to the fan they look the same.

I think McDaniels is just getting a headstart for next year...He wont take over for BOB this playoff season. But the question of there being tension due to 2 OC is somewhat a viable concern given the personallity of the 2 coaches...but BB has more control than that...so if there is any tension it will not effect the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]Unless McDaniels can play cornerback, I don't see him being of much help.  It's not like the Pats' offence needing tweaking or anything.  I'd bet he'll spend more time with the defensive coaches than with the offense.  But even so, I'm not sure he had much to do with the offense being run by the Broncs.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I hear what your sayin dirty, however, having Josh back kinda gives us some insite about the denver playbook wouldn't you agree? he knows just about every player from denver and how they operate. clearly an advantage getting him back as an assistant offensive coord.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]"...we have been very vanilla in our play calling." Who cares what it looks like...we score 500pts a season and it wins games. I don't think the coaches care much how diversified their play calling is if it continues to work and win games.
    Posted by ejb222[/QUOTE]

That works in the regular season, It has NOT worked in the playoffs, thus my post. Vanilla base offense doesnt work, hasnt worked. there needs to be an element of surprise and something new or else its easy to game plan. everyone know we are throwing to Welker Gronk and Hern. they can game plan to stop that for one game. What mcdaniels adds is that X factor elemtent where i think we will see alot more plays where underwood and ocho get quicker looks, as well as a lot more screeens to riddley/lawfirm/woodhead.

2 defends on welker, 2 on gronk, 1 on hernadez 5-6 in the box means we should have underwood or ocho wide open every play. i expect josh to see that and key on it specifically.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]Run the ball. Denver can't stop it consistently.  Redman, who hadn't started all year, ran all over them on Sunday. We will never win a SB without a commitment to some variation of a run game. And it needs to happen in the 1st qtr, not the 3rd qtr. At some point, this O Line needs to help itself and blast some people off the line early to set a tone.   Said it all year, been saying it since the obvious failures of a finesse offense in SB 42.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]
     I know you always complain about not running the ball enough but wasn't this post about McDaniels?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nolastname. Show nolastname's posts

Doesn't matter the topic of the thread, RidingWithTheKing always always brings it back to the Patriots don't run the ball enough.  Similar to a two year old with a one track mind.