McDaniels has to go!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: McDaniels has to go!

They were ranked #7 in rushing heading into this game, they are big and strong.

There are no games in the NFL that are easy, yesterday the Rams beat the 49ers, do you think because we hung 45 points on the Rams the 49ers are going to lay down when we play them?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

I am SO sick of this pass first mentality! Sorry but 1st and goal from the 2, and he doesnt even run once? Should have run on first down at least, never mind all 3 downs!

could have scored with a couple QB sneaks...  That said...  It was a flawed game plan overall except they won.

Personally I'd rather see a 2 yard run than an incompletion on 1st down.  That spread formation with no back makes no sense .  They run that way too much.

Hopefully they learned from these mistakes.  mcd redeemed himself on the last drive , right?  Unlike the pighead O'Brien, he made in-game adjustments and won in the 4th qtr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Balance will be crucial, we'll have to play better to beat both of those teams to be sure.  

But the original poster came out asking why we passed so early and often, the answer is their secondary is weak; no mystery here.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Often the backfield is open because the RB flexes out to play receiver, I like the run as much as the next guy but Miami will never get enough credit for playing well, it's always what we didn't do.

I know we ran when we had to, that was the most positive thing I've seen offensively all year because we haven't been able to do that since we were winning rings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of points, some of which have already been stated:

*Pats have the #1 offense in the league.  I'm confused as to why we would need to change offensive coordinators.  Perhaps be more egalitarian and merely be in the top 25%??

*Miami has a very good run defense therefore it really does make sense to pass less and run more, right??

*Only problems I saw offensively were in execution: Brady's pick and Welker's drop in the end zone are but two examples.  So McDaniels really has to get better at that.  Oh wait; he's on the sideline.

I really do not understand why anyone would be generally critical of what this team has done offensively this year.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I won't lie, I was at the game and my vision was blurry by the end... too many bourbons and beers.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I really have no problem with the play calling.  I didn't have a problem with it last year either.  One thing that was really clear yesterday is that the absence of Gronk makes a huge difference. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Couple of points, some of which have already been stated:

*Pats have the #1 offense in the league.  I'm confused as to why we would need to change offensive coordinators.  Perhaps be more egalitarian and merely be in the top 25%??

*Miami has a very good run defense therefore it really does make sense to pass less and run more, right??

*Only problems I saw offensively were in execution: Brady's pick and Welker's drop in the end zone are but two examples.  So McDaniels really has to get better at that.  Oh wait; he's on the sideline

Lol.... Good one....

I really do not understand why anyone would be generally critical of what this team has done offensively this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Last drive was what Champions are made of. Miami knew we were going to run and a couple of nice passes in there too. That Drive made my day.

At the very beginning of the season, Brady said that we have to be able to run the ball when everyone knows we are going to run it.  And we need to be able to consistently get more than 2 or 3 yards per carry in those situations.  That's one of the most signfiicant changes to the team this year.  It's not so much the unpredictability the run game brings, it's the ability to execute effectively when the run is completely predictable. Last year, when the run was predictable, it tended to fail.  This year, when the run is predictable, it still works. 

Different plays? Different talent?  We can get into that argument again if we want, but whatever it is, the predictable run works this year and it didn't work last year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

My point is that the Pats now have have the Brett Farve attitude - Im going to pass this ball even in 3rd and INCHES scenarios and not even consider a running play! I yell at the TV in these scenarios to run the ball. Remember the playoff loss to the Jets? B.J.G.E was running for 5 yards a carry on first drive, but soon as get to 1st and Goal, suddenly its the Brady show and he has to pass, and here comes the pick on the screen. Yesterdays game had 10 yards rushing in first half, how many attempts to run the ball did we see?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with Wozzy and most sane people that McD has done an amazing job so far with this offense. I was worried yesterday that we did clearly abandon the run and it was going to get Brady killed against a defense that knew what was coming.

I agree with Bobbysu that much like last year we do telegraph our plays in a way by only using Ridley on running plays or flexing him out wide(where we NEVER THROW TO HIM) which basically takes the 11th player out of the play since Rid is obviously a decoy at that point.

I wish we would use the lead back(whoever it is) as a receiving option as I think it makes things difficult for a defense. I too hated the 3 straight passing plays the OP referred to but we did revert back to pounding the rock which imo was the sole reason we won this game.

In years past this would have been a game where the passing attack and lack of run kept giving the ball back to a team that eventually won the game. We went on a 7 minute game winning drive by feeding the animal(Ridley). Oh by the way many here would have blamed the defense if we had lost this game in that fashion like they have in the past, but in actuality the D did a great job on the road and over came an offense that couldn't do much until they restored the balance in the end.

Oh also it is obvious that Mayo is just not that good. I'm not sure which statement is more ignorant...Mayo is just not that good, or McDaniels has to go???

It's a real conundrum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Yesterdays game stats Pats 32 rushes total - with 14 of the 16 plays being runs in the 4th quarter game sealing drive, that means Pats only ran the ball 18 times in the first 52 minutes of the game. My point is look how well the Pats ran the ball WHEN THEY ATTEMPTED IT!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I just hope no one offers him a head coaching job and he bolts again--bolts??? hmmm maybe I'm on to something here.  I loved the play call at the goalline--Brady short pass to Welker TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Last year(s) they would have abandoned the run if they used it at all, yesterday they used it to pound a stake in the opponent's heart.  

This offense is still improving, as is this defense, our best football is ahead of us.

By the way our 3rd down conversion rate is 53%, the next closest team (ATL) is 46%... pretty impressive stuff.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Yesterdays game stats Pats 32 rushes total - with 14 of the 16 plays being runs in the 4th quarter game sealing drive, that means Pats only ran the ball 18 times in the first 52 minutes of the game. My point is look how well the Pats ran the ball WHEN THEY ATTEMPTED IT!

Greg Bedard's article was pretty insightful:

So, McDaniels developed a smart game plan: throw early, use the width of the field, get the Dolphins a little tired, and then come back to the run late.

"€œYeah, they’re a good run defense, they all are physical players up front,"€ Belichick said. "We thought we would be able to attack them, attack the width of the field a little bit at times. Ultimately, you have to balance things out, which we tried to do."€

Maybe that's why the run worked in the 2nd half a bit more.  I am a "run the ball" advocate for sure, but I can understand that the gameplan was to not play to the Dolphins' strength - their run D --  at least not initially. 

I agree with those who have said that in the prior few years they would have abandoned the run and not gone back to it.  The fact that they didn't is great.   Bodes wll for this team.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I am SO sick of this pass first mentality! Sorry but 1st and goal from the 2, and he doesnt even run once? Should have run on first down at least, never mind all 3 downs!

Hmmm.... perhaps you were on a samich run when Brady was geting knocked around like a pin ball. Or, you were channel surfing when Welker dropped a sure TD pass in the end zone. Or had to take Scruffy out for a walk at half time when it was discovered that the vaunted Patriot running game had 10 yards.

Know what I saw yesterday? I saw Miami using a page from teh old BB book..... make the opponent one dimensional on offense. Take away teh run,a dn make Brady pass. Seems to me they know more about Brady than Babe would ever admitt to. Last 2 SB's anyone? Pressure him, knock him around and, GASP! sack him 4 times. Almost worked for the fish.

But, you're right..... Josh MUST go, and YOU need to replace him. Such brilliance needs to be properly identified, acknowledged, and rewarded. Let me be the first to offer to you a box of dirt and a stick for you to draw up your offensive plays. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The announcers even said on my tv in the second half that this year the pats will run on 2nd and 9 where history shows that we would ALWAYS run before   One goal line series, oh well. If we give the ball back it's on their 2. 

Miami came out for the run.   I think we had to pass some to force them to adjust and tire them out for the 2nd half.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

What nobody is bringing up is that an empty backfield is great with a QB who will run which forces a defense to keep a linebacker in as a spy on the QB for a draw play. Everybody knows Brady will not run anymore, so the linebacker drops in coverage or just blitz when the Pats line up with an empty backfield.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Pats have been running the same offensive system since Brady started.  have had one of the top performing offenses over the past 5 years, but no one ever likes the OC.  Very entertaining. 

Sections
Shortcuts