McDaniel's Spread is Back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: McDaniel's Spread is Back!

Wow. What happened to this thread?

At any rate ... in no particular order.

1.) Yeah they ran the ball effectively, they've done that most of the year. 

2.) They will face better defenses later on, that has nothing to do with my post, for the person that said that. When they face great defenses .... they aren't going to score 45 no matter what they do. They could draw defenses in the playoffs that a spread matches well against though, and they could draw defenses that have a better look for the 2TE that Obrien ran, or something else entirely. But who knows who will be in there come january. It's too early to tell. 

3.) This was the first game they implemented that wide open 'spread' that they ran in 2007 all season. They've had that look before, but always just motioning people out. The spread is a look everyone in the NFL can give these days, but few teams still come out and just spread it wide open from the get go. New Orleans kind of does. The Pack is more of a traditional single back outfit. 

I thought it was interesting to say the least. Some of those plays were right out of the 2007 playbook, with Lloyd running Moss's routes. They certainly gashed the Rams real good.

When it works it's fun to watch, and it was nostalgia inducing from that undefeated season. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

Right, but they have to still commit to the run, WHICH they DID NOT do in the SB, in the AFC Title game (they actually ditched it outright after 8 carries and 50yards for BJGE at halftime), nor did they do in Baltimore, Seattle or against the Jets.

15 total carries for a lead back, most of them obligatory and of the fail variety in a second half, ain't cutting it.

Yesterday is what they need to do and that's get to the line and run your plays. Don't worry so much about subbing bodies in and out at random.

Your original post seemed to say you were thrilled the shotgun spread was exclusively responsible for the offense's success, which is not true.

Also, what is with the obsession with the 2007 season?  You do realize we've lost 2 SBs (one just last February) because that obsessive passing approach is a failure, correct?

What they did yesterday was a 2010 or 2004/2007 hybrid.

They had 15 carries for their lead back yesterday. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Right, but under 40 passes (35) and that D isn't elite.

My premise is only when it's against good or great Ds.

STL is not a good or great D.  Get it?   That's why it's pointless to get excited about how they scored the 45 points which is what your premise is about 2007, etc.

If they go too much finesse and pass too much in the playoffs, we'll lose.

Would you like to take my bet? Your buddies haven't because they're fearful of losing. And I know why, too.

I think matchups are more important than 'greatness.' 

Yeah, the Rams defense is average. 

There are 'great' defenses where spreading it out is a good option. The Steelers and Bears, for instance, who rely on 'blitzes' to get pressure are great teams to spread it out against. I'd pass all over them in the playoffs or regular season. NE carves those defenses up. 

Passing numbers (total attempts) always favor the losing team .... because they are passing more to catch up. So ... no I won't bet that if they pass a lot they will lose, because if they are losing .... they will naturally be passing a lot to catch up. 

I'd bet based on first half numbers though. 

Their first half pass vs run ratios are almost identical every week. What happens in the second half (and 4th Q in particular) is determined by the score at half time. If they are down ... they pass more to preserve time etc. If they are up they run more ... the kill off the clock. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Wow. What happened to this thread?

At any rate ... in no particular order.

1.) Yeah they ran the ball effectively, they've done that most of the year. 

2.) They will face better defenses later on, that has nothing to do with my post, for the person that said that. When they face great defenses .... they aren't going to score 45 no matter what they do. They could draw defenses in the playoffs that a spread matches well against though, and they could draw defenses that have a better look for the 2TE that Obrien ran, or something else entirely. But who knows who will be in there come january. It's too early to tell. 

3.) This was the first game they implemented that wide open 'spread' that they ran in 2007 all season. They've had that look before, but always just motioning people out. The spread is a look everyone in the NFL can give these days, but few teams still come out and just spread it wide open from the get go. New Orleans kind of does. The Pack is more of a traditional single back outfit. 

I thought it was interesting to say the least. Some of those plays were right out of the 2007 playbook, with Lloyd running Moss's routes. They certainly gashed the Rams real good.

When it works it's fun to watch, and it was nostalgia inducing from that undefeated season. 

What happenedtoo this post is Russ and phatrex hijacked it once again to have one of their typical pis5ing contests. A good post gets turned sideways so they can use it as a forum to bash one another.

To my fellow posters...don't be baited by phatrex, Hess and the others jest trolls. Let them postoff they will and p,ease set to them to ignore or ignore them all together. Let's for once try and keep these posts from turning into a bashing session and focus on the topic at hand...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Not sure about Houston. 

They've played one good offense. GB. 

They got shredded alive. Rogers threw six TDs, I think they ran the ball just 20 times or something like that. Terrence Cody is a bear to run at, but that is all. He is a pantload when it comes to getting pressure and has been since college. 

JJ Watt is great. But who do they have that can bring inside pressure? 

Joseph is great, but I don't like Kareem Jackson (as I've said). 

So we'll see. 

I don't see a team in the AFC New England shouldn't beat if they execute well.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, I agree with PatsEng the pats simply owned the rams yesterday and couldn't keep up their adjustments..seemed like our o was always a step ahead of them. Just when they did adjust, josh comes out after halftime in the heavy package to run, play action, etc...somedays it's just not your day..yesterday was like that for the rams.

Yes, Ridley had some nice runs and the run was mixed in effectively. What was interesting is that without Hernandez and fells not playing a big part, the pats were in 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB sets a majoritand their snaps and still ran well without the extra blocker. 

I will say that Gronk yesterday looked like he did last year. Heseemed until yesterday to be a bitsluggish due to injury, but yesterday he had an extra spring in his step. 

I would like to see vereen used more in the screen passing game. Like Edelman, he iselusive in the open field. I hope josh works him in more.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Not sure about Houston. 

They've played one good offense. GB. 

They got shredded alive. Rogers threw six TDs, I think they ran the ball just 20 times or something like that. Terrence Cody is a bear to run at, but that is all. He is a pantload when it comes to getting pressure and has been since college. 

JJ Watt is great. But who do they have that can bring inside pressure? 

Joseph is great, but I don't like Kareem Jackson (as I've said). 

So we'll see. 

I don't see a team in the AFC New England shouldn't beat if they execute well.

Amen - despite the weak D the Pats trot out there -when the Pats play to their strength on offense - which is to run Brady out of the shotgun and use the pass to set up the run the Pats are unstoppable

Rusty - If Ridley ever develops the ability to catch the ball dependably the Pats will be be unbeatable on offense - plain and simple - you say the Pats are predictable on offense when they are in the shotgun - I say they are predictable when they have Ridley in the single back classic set - everyone in the world knows they are running - if Ridley could develop the Kevin Faulk - ability to catch they could crucify D's with the play action

As much as I love what Ridlely does with the football I'd love to see Vareen get more reps - he can catch it - and can also be a feature back - a Ridley/Woodhead mix

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Or just ban Phat Rex instead of me considering he's the troll here who actually stalks me.  That would be too easy, though, wouldn't it?

I find it fascinating that this is so difficult and trolls like that get free rein here.

Russ, i would love to ban all these morons like phatrex. Maybe dottie can do it, but they will get a new handle and show back up harass as usual. I am not going to respond to any of their posts.eventually they will dry up and go away just like the jests will..

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nice thread Z till rusty dropped major stupidly on it.  What everyone but the run at any coster's get is that our spread is unstoppable.  It always has been. Our pass sets sets up our run.  No "elite" defense can stop our Spread offense.  

I don't even know what the hell crusty sock means by STOP.  Is that when our D gives up more points the our O scores?  Crusty Logic states is such situations you automatically blame Brady an call for Mallett to start.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Nice thread Z till rusty dropped major stupidly on it.  What everyone but the run at any coster's get is that our spread is unstoppable.  It always has been. Our pass sets sets up our run.  No "elite" defense can stop our Spread offense.  

I don't even know what the hell crusty sock means by STOP.  Is that when our D gives up more points the our O scores?  Crusty Logic states is such situations you automatically blame Brady an call for Mallett to start.

All offenses 'stop' at some point man. Look at the Saints' Superbowl ... tehy are kicking FGs and sucking wind. 

They got a HUGE special teams play that netted them a critically short field, and a HUGE pick 6. 

New England doesn't have a complete team, and they haven't in 7-8 seasons. 

On big fumble recovery, INT, KR TD totally swings that game and makes it a win. Heck, a few 3 and outs, or a really long KR for a short field would have swung that game. 

This team, like or not, lives and dies by how it's offense performs, because none of the other phases are good enough to make that play when it counts. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

All offenses 'stop' at some point man. Look at the Saints' Superbowl ... tehy are kicking FGs and sucking wind. 

They got a HUGE special teams play that netted them a critically short field, and a HUGE pick 6. 

On big fumble recovery, INT, KR TD totally swings that game and makes it a win. Heck, a few 3 and outs, or a really long KR for a short field would have swung that game. 

This team, like or not, lives and dies by how it's offense performs, because none of the other phases are good enough to make that play when it counts. 

So, in SB 42 and 46 you feel the offense played well when it counted? How can you make that claim?

The highest scoring offense in NFL history puts out 14 points (barely) and then our offense scores one TD in the second half for the whole half? Even a FG would have won the SB, dude.

Our offense let us down TWICE in the last 2 SBs, and it's an offensive era with Goodell begging for points to be scored. You're wrong.

This is 2012 and Goodell is pitching a franchise in London. Wake up.

Put that aside. 

Why can't the defense make a play? OR win a game outright that is low scoring?

Other teams win that way.

The fact I am pointing out ... is that if the offense is not there ... New England loses. End of story. 

You don't win Superbowls with a team that is that unbalanced.

The Pats scored 17 ... the Giants a miserable 21.

The Giants have a defense that can hold a team to 17 points. New England doesn't.

New England's offense was productive. 

They had 8 drives. 

That is a terrible defense. The defense gets the ball for the offense. 8 drives is a terrible performance. What's worse is the Giants scored 21 points on just seven drives.  

Whats worse than that is that the special teams contributed absolutely nothing. 

If the offense doesn't win it... New England loses. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

This O-Line has been nothing but Great this Season. Guys getting injured, people moving around, retired. They should be getting more love around here.

So i had to listen to NFL radio with STL announcers. Demarco Farr had a great take. The main announcer asked why Brady was still in game with 35-7 lead?  Farr said " why not , he is probably safer in the pocket than on the bench!"

Definite kudos for the OL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

So, in SB 42 and 46 you feel the offense played well when it counted? How can you make that claim?

The highest scoring offense in NFL history puts out 14 points (barely) and then our offense scores one TD in the second half for the whole half? Even a FG would have won the SB, dude.

Our offense let us down TWICE in the last 2 SBs, and it's an offensive era with Goodell begging for points to be scored. You're wrong.

This is 2012 and Goodell is pitching a franchise in London. Wake up.

Put that aside. 

Why can't the defense make a play? OR win a game outright that is low scoring?

Other teams win that way.

The fact I am pointing out ... is that if the offense is not there ... New England loses. End of story. 

You don't win Superbowls with a team that is that unbalanced.

The Pats scored 17 ... the Giants a miserable 21.

The Giants have a defense that can hold a team to 17 points. New England doesn't.

New England's offense was productive. 

They had 8 drives. 

That is a terrible defense. The defense gets the ball for the offense. 8 drives is a terrible performance. What's worse is the Giants scored 21 points on just seven drives.  

Whats worse than that is that the special teams contributed absolutely nothing. 

If the offense doesn't win it... New England loses. 

Your not going to get through to him but thanks for trying been an interesting read.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love how this game was supposedly all about the "spread" offense, while the I formation and single back three tight end sets which drew the defense in gets zero mention. 

The offense ran against the Rams was varied, Pro sets, 3 tight end formations and yes spread out formations and shotgun, but this wasn't a Run And Shoot offense.  Much like 2007 the pass was open because the defense had to respect the run and play action played a large part in it. 

Gronk took time to mention that both of his TD's were the result of play action. This was a well balanced attack before the Pat's broke it wide open. McDaniels is the heir apparent to Charlie Weis, he is the master of the Ernhardt-Perkins offense.

Sections
Shortcuts