McDaniel's Spread is Back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: McDaniel's Spread is Back!

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are we really at the point where two fumbles created in the SB, but unfortunately not recovered by the D, or nice pass breakups by Sterling Moore are "why can't the D make a play"?

Really? Is this how we're going to go now? A little Johnnie Cochrane type action here? Really? 

So, after our offense fiddles with its nuts all game and underachieves, you only care about what happens then towards the end, not in the previous 55+ minutes?

Isn't that convenient.

[/QUOTE]
    All three aspects of the team failed to make good plays. The other team has something to do with it. Their D steped up, Our D wasn't able to. Our Offense failed to make some key plays so did the D.  It happens, oh well. Try a little middle ground some of the time any you won't have so many agruments unless that is all your here for.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love how this game was supposedly all about the "spread" offense, while the I formation and single back three tight end sets which drew the defense in gets zero mention. 

The offense ran against the Rams was varied, Pro sets, 3 tight end formations and yes spread out formations and shotgun, but this wasn't a Run And Shoot offense.  Much like 2007 the pass was open because the defense had to respect the run and play action played a large part in it. 

Gronk took time to mention that both of his TD's were the result of play action. This was a well balanced attack before the Pat's broke it wide open. McDaniels is the heir apparent to Charlie Weis, he is the master of the Ernhardt-Perkins offense.

[/QUOTE]

Well they were in 3 WR sets a majority of the snaps, and the 2 and 3 TE sets only accounted for 9 Of their sixty someodd plays. It's the variety and how they used it that was effective. What is different as you note is the threat of the run. We didn't have it last years SB , but this year, the team does seem more committed to the run. 

What other wrinkles is josh saving up..he must be holding back something for later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Are we really at the point where two fumbles created in the SB, but unfortunately not recovered by the D, or nice pass breakups by Sterling Moore are "why can't the D make a play"?

Really? Is this how we're going to go now? A little Johnnie Cochrane type action here? Really? 

So, after our offense fiddles with its nuts all game and underachieves, you only care about what happens then towards the end, not in the previous 55+ minutes?

Isn't that convenient.

[/QUOTE]
    All three aspects of the team failed to make good plays. The other team has something to do with it. Their D steped up, Our D wasn't able to. Our Offense failed to make some key plays so did the D.  It happens, oh well. Try a little middle ground some of the time any you won't have so many agruments unless that is all your here for.

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me? I've taken the honest, minority opinion in each SB 42 and SB 46 because it's the truth. You can;t invest that much in an offense and then defend it when you drop a turd in your shorts when it matters.

If we had put all the money and picks into the defense for SB 42 and SB 46 then I'd blame the D.

You can't put MORE accountability on a young D when the bulk of the investment is on the offense. 

Why is this so hard? There is no middle ground. The root cause is in the offensive philosophy, it shouldn't be transplanted onto a young D.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you measure investment. The only 2 high paid players on last years offense were Brady and mankins. All the others werE not highly paid until this year with welkers franchise tag, Gronk and hern's new contracts. 

The d same..Wilfork and mayo paid well. 

So 2 highly pis players on both sides of the ball. I would argue that BB has invested more in the defense over the past 5 years than the offense. The difference is the defensive investments have not paid well,where the offensive ones have...see Gronk, Hern, Ridley! Solder and now vereen. That changes this year with a draft dedicated to defense and us landing jones, Hightower, Dennard and Wilson. The defense has caught up, but they are young and have not yet found themselves...This might have been a different discussion if BB had hit on more of his defensive players over the past 5 years...maybe you have a different outcome last year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Isn't that convenient.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me? I've taken the honest, minority opinion in each SB 42 and SB 46 because it's the truth. You can;t invest that much in an offense and then defend it when you drop a turd in your shorts when it matters.

If we had put all the money and picks into the defense for SB 42 and SB 46 then I'd blame the D.

You can't put MORE accountability on a young D when the bulk of the investment is on the offense. 

Why is this so hard? There is no middle ground. The root cause is in the offensive philosophy, it shouldn't be transplanted onto a young D.

[/QUOTE]

Dude everyone here knows what you think, right or wrong you don't have to bring it up in every thread, even the ones that have nothing to do with it.  I know others also dig at you too, so its not all you all the time but you have to admit you bring the topic up a lot. sry run on sentences and such i hate typing on phone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They have to be able to do both. The spread has it's place and at the right time it's effective but can't be used all of the time . This years team should be more effective because they have the threat of a running game. Just the threat of a run opens up the pass. Last year, especially against the Giants they knew the Patriots wouldn't run and if they did they wouldn't do much damage. Teams have to respect the threat of a run now. The Patriots are 5th in running and Ridley has shown that he will break a long run if the defense makes a mistake or overloads for the pass. All of this opens it up for the pass.

Sections
Shortcuts