McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?

Just heard on ESPN from Adam Schefter that McDaniels will coach the Pats as an offensive assistant during the playoffs alongside O'Brien.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?

Great plan. McDaniels can fill the time and gaps OB is going to leave while he's preparing to become Penn's HC and it gives McDaniels some first hand knowledge about what he has to work with next year. Great move

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I would imagine he will be there mainly to observe the new personnel and learn what has changed since he left. He may chime in with a few suggestions during games, but O'Briend will be calling the plays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Can't hurt to have another veteran presence with familiarity of the offense and the ability to provide input towards game planning/in game adjustments etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I love it. he has faced all the teams we could play this year. Great insight and I am pumped with this decision!!!!!!!!

Go Pats!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

In Response to Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Are you sure about that?  Seems awfully awkward.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

If its awkward its OBriens fault. He wanted the other job. You of all people I thought would be the first to be behind this decision! You do not like Obrien at all, and neither do I. I love haing Mcdaniels there for info and smart play calling. I certainly do not think it will hurt us

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

[QUOTE]Are you sure about that?  Seems awfully awkward.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's what I heard from Schefter.  It does seem awkward. I've never heard of this happening before. But it's not like McDaniels was going to be in St. Louis or O'Brien in NE after this season. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

Well I am calling a big screen pass to Ridley next Saturday night, god I hope I am right! I miss the screen pass!!!!!

Oh and run the dammmnn ball.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

You must be loving this Rusty. They are replacing an OC with another OC you hate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]Just read the report. The Schefter report says nothing of McDaniels working side by side with O'Brien on the sidelines, etc. It says that O'Brien is the guy still the rest of the way and McDaniels has been let free of his contract with Stl to begin "work" in NE immediately. McDaniels looking at new plays, installing some new plays, looking at film and getting himself ready for offseason camp is not anywhere close to what this thread title says. We're about as lucky as can be in this situation, when you think about it. They'll literally be no continuity issues with this move and McDaniels gets a jump start on his preliminary work back with the team.
        When is the first day that free agents can sign? Could bringing him on board now, have anything to do with Brandon Lloyd?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Mcdaniels has to adapt. You can't do the same crap when the offense revolves around Wes and 2 TE's. I will say this. I damn near positive Brando Lloyd will be a Patriot next year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

2. Immediate start. This is the most compelling aspect of Schefter's report -- McDaniels is expected to start working now. I wondered if Bill Belichick would shy away from this, the idea of tweaking the overall coach-player dynamic, and the staff dynamic, heading into the playoffs. This speaks to Belichick's trust in McDaniels

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Where's the negative in this? Give me one example of how this can negatively impact us. I see it as all upside. Besides, if BB likes it, then so do I.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes King I'd think we'd all agree

Weis > McDaniels >> OB

But given the familiarity of the season and the potential McDaniels has (imo when he has as much experience as Weis had he won't be as good but will most certainly won't be a drop off) this is the best situation for the Pats

It also opens up the possibility of bringing in Lloyd which should fill that outside the numbers WR everyone wants opening the middle of the field for both Ridley and the receiving game. It also allows us not to spend a pick high in the draft for a WR but instead stick to our biggest issue the D.

This is an excellent move and good timing on all parts.

BTW Penn is a top 10 college coaching job so OB is very lucky to get it. He had to take it now because official signing day is Feb 5th I believe. They need to name a coach and start the recruiting process now in order to get any prospects. Penn couldn't wait if the Pats make the SB because it hurts their chances to sign prospects and if OB told them to wait he wouldn't have gotten the job and McDaniels might not be coming back. Although awkward it's a win win for all involved

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE] Where's the negative in this? Give me one example of how this can negatively impact us. I see it as all upside. Besides, if BB likes it, then so do I.
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]

You want negatives?  oh, boy..
    Here's one;  McD will get a ring, not with the Rams. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Just heard on ESPN from Adam Schefter that McDaniels will coach the Pats as an offensive assistant during the playoffs alongside O'Brien.
    Posted by Mike-J-D[/QUOTE]
    No Conflict Possible? No Knowledge of the current playbook, unlesshe authored it?
    Okay to be an observer not a coach, IMO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs? : No Conflict Possible? No Knowledge of the current playbook, unlesshe authored it? Okay to be an observer not a coach, IMO
    Posted by DavidSeattle[/QUOTE]

You don't see any similarities with the Patriots O during McDaniels tenure and the Patriots O now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs? : No Conflict Possible? No Knowledge of the current playbook, unlesshe authored it? Okay to be an observer not a coach, IMO
    Posted by DavidSeattle[/QUOTE]

As Mike Reiss said.....

4. What can McDaniels provide now? In his work as Rams offensive coordinator this year, McDaniels drew up plans against these playoff teams -- Giants, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Bengals, Steelers and 49ers. There is significant value in McDaniels' work for the Patriots in this regard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Josh will bring some great info on the playoff teams.  As long as he knows his roll during this time then this will be excellent.  I assume O'Brien's hands are full at this time.  Even though he says he will continue with the Patriots during the SB run, I'm sure he will be doing a lot of things with his new job.  Hopefully both Josh and O'Brien can co-exist  and not let their ego's get in the way of doing what is best for the team.

We shall see next week and I can't wait!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Maybe he'll be able to prevent the offensive slow starts that have been plagueing the offense that OB  had no answers for till the second half.