McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?

In Response to Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Can't hurt to have another veteran presence with familiarity of the offense and the ability to provide input towards game planning/in game adjustments etc.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Hey mb you were so right, good call! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

A negative of this would be o'brien and mcdaniel budding heads. Hopefully he and obrien can work together instead of clashing.

However, I dont think this will be the case. The biggest positive of McDaniels is that hes played 8 of the 12 playoff teams... that means there are three teams he hasnt already worked on, HOU, DEN, and ATL

We are unlikely to play HOU and DEN has already been studied...i think this is a brilliant move

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

[QUOTE]Just read the report. The Schefter report says nothing of McDaniels working side by side with O'Brien on the sidelines, etc. It says that O'Brien is the guy still the rest of the way and McDaniels has been let free of his contract with Stl to begin "work" in NE immediately. McDaniels looking at new plays, installing some new plays, looking at film and getting himself ready for offseason camp is not anywhere close to what this thread title says. We're about as lucky as can be in this situation, when you think about it. They'll literally be no continuity issues with this move and McDaniels gets a jump start on his preliminary work back with the team.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

McDaniels may not be on the sidelines during the playoffs, but he'll be in NE as an offensive assistant, working alongside O'Brien.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

I thought the same thing king with both of these tight ends it will be interesting next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One huge benefit is that McDaniels is given credit for Brady's development and Cassel's. Now he has Mallet. Could BB retire with Brady then hand Mallet over to McDaniels as his QB, kinda like Young?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

This script is straight from Lucas/Speilberg...bring in John Williams for the playoff sound track!

We need a 21st century update of Sam Spence and David Robidoux.. More Sousaphones, baritones, French horns, and  cornets! More contrabass saxophones!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If JMac comes back it's to run the show......Period.  Everyone, except the few apologists out there, including BB are sick of O'Blivious and his horrible and clueless game calling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]One huge benefit is that McDaniels is given credit for Brady's development and Cassel's. Now he has Mallet. Could BB retire with Brady then hand Mallet over to McDaniels as his QB, kinda like Young?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
      Bringing Josh back, make sense on so many levels.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

According to AP:

Josh McDaniels is returning to the New England Patriotsto take over as offensive coordinator next season for Bill O'Brien, who was introduced Saturday as Penn State's new coach.

A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that McDaniels is expected to serve as an offensive assistant under O'Brien for the rest of this season. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team hasn't made an announcement.

My guess is he will do much of the prep work and throw some game plans in there to be looked at.  The offense didn't really change that much, it just has some new packages.  My guess is he is up to speed in no time.  I LOVE this move, it both gives us some relief against a guy who MUST be distracted, and gives us a great coordinator for next season.  Two sets of eyes is going to be great, and maybe some of that stale playcalling will be improved by just having McD around to feed suggestions.

The move was first reported by ESPN.com.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]Josh will bring some great info on the playoff teams.  As long as he knows his roll during this time then this will be excellent.  I assume O'Brien's hands are full at this time.  Even though he says he will continue with the Patriots during the SB run, I'm sure he will be doing a lot of things with his new job.  Hopefully both Josh and O'Brien can co-exist  and not let their ego's get in the way of doing what is best for the team. We shall see next week and I can't wait!
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Bring back Moss!!  Had to say it,... maybe next year.  I'm about 85% serious.

I think Josh McDaniels coming in now is a win/win.  He won't rock the boat, that would be nuts and they are all professionals.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Maybe it's already been said, but with stl mcdaniels came up with game plans for Pitt, cinn, gb, no, and sf this year. That knowledge of these teams could be huge...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe it's already been said, but with stl mcdaniels came up with game plans for Pitt, cinn, gb, no, and sf this year. That knowledge of these teams could be huge...
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]
    It's been mentioned but you're right, that knowledge could be huge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs?": [QUOTE]You'd have to think that McDaniels is drooling over what he can do with Gronk, Hernandez and Branch. McDaniels never called games with Branch on the team outside of 2005 when he likely wasn';t under full control of calling games that year. Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE] Are you ready for more shotgun spread Russ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

[QUOTE]Are you sure about that?  Seems awfully awkward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/07/mcdaniels-deal-with-patriots-is-done/

McDaniels starts with the Patriots Sunday

Josh McDaniels

We told you earlier Saturday that Josh McDaniels was expected to return to the Patriots.  Now it’s official.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports McDaniels finalized a contract with New England. He’ll be an offensive assistant for the team starting Sunday, and become the offensive coordinator in the 2012 season.

Bill O’Brien will remain the team’s offensive coordinator for the team’s playoff run. The Patriots will face the winner of the Steelers and Broncos.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

What I'm ready for is some creativity. I always thought Josh was a very creative coordinator. O'brein lacks imagination. You really can't even give him credit for the second half adjustments and scoring increases as the game goes on because the pat's go to the no huddle where brady makes the calls anyway.

Not sorry at all to see O'brein go. It's funny because I tell people alot that the pat's have to adjust every year almost due to the loss of coaches and this really affects the success of the organization. I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice to get a good coach back. He should never have left as he would of had his chance someday anyway as there seems like 5 open head coaching positions every year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]What I'm ready for is some creativity. I always thought Josh was a very creative coordinator. O'brein lacks imagination. You really can't even give him credit for the second half adjustments and scoring increases as the game goes on because the pat's go to the no huddle where brady makes the calls anyway. Not sorry at all to see O'brein go. It's funny because I tell people alot that the pat's have to adjust every year almost due to the loss of coaches and this really affects the success of the organization. I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice to get a good coach back. He should never have left as he would of had his chance someday anyway as there seems like 5 open head coaching positions every year. 
    Posted by taljr[/QUOTE]

Right now this is ALL about the playoffs!!! Wait and see the new looks BB, TB & JM (BO will help) squeeze into the coming game plans. Want to see creative?

Gronkowski, Hernandez & Welker all over prowling in new formations and routes (all three will need to be double teamed). Then watch: Ridley & Woodhead will re-define the mix of power running with screenplays to handle any BIG-D Blitzing scheme they can throw at us

Brady & Company will execute like never before.
    It's time for Tom's Fourth Ring! And he wants it more than any other!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think he'll be more of a fly on the wall. He's never worked with Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, Solder, Waters, etc. He gets to see how Obrien worked the TE's into the offense and learn from OB's trial and error. Also the new guys can get to know him a little before next traing camp. I think he's pretty good. His one year with Marshall was his best year, then the next year it was Brandon Lloyd out of nowhere to be the NFL's leading receiver. He's a whiz with the passing game so hopefully he's learned about more about running from working with Steven Jackson who had a real good year in STL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]I think he'll be more of a fly on the wall. He's never worked with Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, Solder, Waters, etc. He gets to see how Obrien worked the TE's into the offense and learn from OB's trial and error. Also the new guys can get to know him a little before next traing camp. I think he's pretty good. His one year with Marshall was his best year, then the next year it was Brandon Lloyd out of nowhere to be the NFL's leading receiver. He's a whiz with the passing game so hopefully he's learned about more about running from working with Steven Jackson who had a real good year in STL.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Pretty good observations/Points of view...Hope he gets to share in some new innovative ways to use Hernandez & Gronk, though with Welker tying up double coverages. Also remeber how often Josh called Screen plays against Blitzing defenses.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McDaniels to coach THIS year? DURING playoffs? : I already stated my case on the other of the 10 McDaniels threads that are cluttering the board annoyingly right now.  It's under the "MY Thoughts on McDaniels" one. I am just saying, he's not fired, nor is he relieved of his duties, and McDaniels is still under contract with St. Louis, so I am not sure how this makes sense. I haven't read the report yet, so if what is being said is true, I find that awkward.  It's O'Brien's show and I agree it has appeard like he never had full control. It explains basically everything that has bothered me about the Brady/O'Brien relationship. I also did not like O'Brien's announcement of being "thrilled" to join PSU right now. Just wait until the seasn is over, hopefully with you proving you can play with the big boys in the postseason as a coordinator. Again, awkward and it best not be an issue here.  The selfishness of some of these coaches is a joke.

rams released him to look for jobs elsewhere

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I gotta say...i'm surprised he came back and the Pats went after him.  That said, I'm psyched they did so.  Because coming in can only help as mentioned.  Past that, Lloyd said he was going to follow McD wherever as he knew how to use him.  Wow...next year we'll need a deep receiver who can attack the ball.  (One would say we need it this year, but that's another thread).  It really does make sense on so many levels.  I never thought I'd see anyone come back to the family. 

Not sure there was anyone else to pick up the duties.  They've been running a very slim operation there with the coaches. 

I think King mentioned something about getting something from Branch.  Well, it's not 2005 and Branch has lost quite a bit of his quickness.  I think that McD will get something from him and get him involved on a more regular basis...but I'm not expecting a 1,000 yard season from him any time soon.

I'm really happy with this.  I have tip my cap to the Rams for allowing him to walk after Bradford came out saying how important and beneficial McD was to him.  They must have another rabbit in their hat, but even if that's true (Fisher *cough*), it was rather big of them to let him jump back in with the Pats.  They should be commended.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

"The league source indicated that McDaniels’s title and responsibilities upon his return to New England - where he began as a personnel assistant in 2001 and worked his way up to offensive coordinator before accepting the head coaching position in Denver in 2009 - likely will be more than just coordinator. It is unclear what that means, though, and whether he could be head coach-in-waiting." Interesting....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]A negative of this would be o'brien and mcdaniel budding heads. Hopefully he and obrien can work together instead of clashing. However, I dont think this will be the case. The biggest positive of McDaniels is that hes played 8 of the 12 playoff teams... that means there are three teams he hasnt already worked on, HOU, DEN, and ATL We are unlikely to play HOU and DEN has already been studied...i think this is a brilliant move
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

More likely to play Houston than one might think. The Ravens have holes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I can't picture McDaniels and O'brien working together in some sort of wonderful cohesion during the playoffs - I just don't see how that would work. One has been brought in to be our new offensive coordinator and one IS the offensive coordinator - that just accepted his first head coaching position.

I can envision it like this...if we win this week and if the offense is the same terminology wise as McDaniels worked in before, I see O'Brien leaving and McDaniels taking over somewhere around the next game.  

The whole thing just seems strange to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]I can't picture McDaniels and O'brien working together in some sort of wonderful cohesion during the playoffs - I just don't see how that would work.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    Why would it matter to Bill O'Brien?  If anything, he wants to have as much pull as he can before he starts full time at Penn State.  The only way he gets that, is by kickin' butt and taking names in the playoffs.  I don't think BO'B will have any problems working with McD.

I think McD also has enough sense to know his role at this stage, coming in this late.  He knows BO'B is the OC this year...he'll help out where needed and where asked.