McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds!

McGinest was on tv talking about how, in his 12 years with the team, nobody ever talked about missing anything mandatory. not matter how big anyone is, everyone is expendable. It was a lot stronger and more critical than how I'm portraying it, video here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/willie-mcginest-wes-welker-off-party-tour-back-160901171.html

Welker responded, via twitter, directly TOO McGinest:

why did u ever leave the Pats and play for the Browns?

Oooooooo BURN!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds!

Because the Pats let him go.  The Patriots released McGinest on March 9, 2006

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And, more specifically, he could get 3/12 from the Browns. At the time, way overpayment for him. Also, McGinest was NEVER underpaid in NE. He got a fat rookie contract, AND a big payday from them. He was good, but also missed a lot of games and was, at times, extremely frustrating to fans.

Welker HASN'T missed many games. He HASN'T been well paid for his time here (in football terms). And aside from 1 single, solitary drop, when has he EVER frustrated fans with his play, or lack-there-of?

For McGinest to speak out so strongly is kind of two-faced on his part. Did he say anything when it was Mankins? when Wilfork was talking about wanting to get paid (though never held out I don't think)? When Randy Moss DID talk his way out of town? No.

Oh, but he gets paid in CLE, and NE moves on. In case you forgot, Seau wore McGinest's #55, to which McGinest said:

The Boston Herald reports Cleveland Browns LB and ex-New England Patriot Willie McGinest is upset with New England Patriots LB Junior Seau's decision to wear McGinest's old No. 55 jersey. "What if I had went to San Diego? I don't even think that would have been an option for me to ask for 55," McGinest said. "I think they would have said, 'You know what, you're a great player, but we've got to put this number to the side because of Junior.' And out of respect, I wouldn't have asked for the number."

Seau is 10X the player McGinest ever was. He says things when they benefit him. He was in a new town then, and looking to strengthen his new job now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds!:
    [QUOTE]Because the Pats let him go.
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

Ha!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

McGinnest being the 4th overall selection in the draft never really was underpaid, in fact he was probably overpaid several seasons of his career. McGinnest wasn't always the productive player he became under Belichick - he suffered many seasons with back, groin and stomach injuries. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Wes better tread lightly with his words. Cant be disrespecting great former patriots. The fact is he still wanted to play and B.B. felt his career was done atleast in N.E. - I dont get Wes' point. 1st the foot thing and he gets benched. Then he drops a very catchable ball that cost us a SB and now he wants to badmouth a guy w/ 3 rings who had a major impact in this community??? Better put your little condo up for sale Buddy!  and Ocho putting you on to twitter was a bad career move as well as you are not as funny as you think. If you dont want to make 9.4 million this year w/us, then wait for the announcement of your new team to be made on twitter!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

That's some mildly revisionist history.

http://excoboard.com/exco/archive.php?ac=t&forumid=66699&date=11-15-2006&t=438037-1

He left because they cut him, yes. Cut him before paying a 3.5 mil roster bonus ON TOP OF his 3.5 base salary. 7 mil cap hit (plus prorated signing bonus) for a mildly productive McGinest? No team would pay that. McGinest, just like Milloy, wanted to have his cake and eat it too. They talk about "wanting to stay" while holding out their hand expecting every dollar. He COULD have restructured, and chose not to. He was greedy. For him to call out Welker for exactly the same thing is absurd.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Chill on that nonsense willie...Wes has earned the right to negotiate a solid deal.  This is offseason conditioning, not training camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

" Everyone handles their business differently"

that is true and Wes is handling his as he sees fit.

Wes has been part of two SB teams where the games were very close and a few different plays (Helmet catch, fumble recovery etc) could have turned the result in another direction.  The three SB wins were by a total of 9 points, where again, a play or two could have turned it the other way.  Lets not have a tongue bath for Willie, when it was Viniteri who provided the margin of victory (remember 29 points given up to the Panthers?). 

You win as a team and you lose as a team, period.  Wes is no more or less to blame than TB (dumb safety), ninkovich, vollmer et.al.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Mac answered back.... from Reiss

A short time later, McGinest tweeted a reply:

"@WesWelker My point exactly. We're all expendable at Patriot Place"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds!:
    [QUOTE]McGinest was on tv talking about how, in his 12 years with the team, nobody ever talked about missing anything mandatory. not matter how big anyone is, everyone is expendable. It was a lot stronger and more critical than how I'm portraying it, video here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/willie-mcginest-wes-welker-off-party-tour-back-160901171.html Welker responded, via twitter, directly TOO McGinest: Wes Welker ‏ @ WesWelker Close @ williemcginest why did u ever leave the Pats and play for the Browns?   Oooooooo BURN!
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

i posted this last night (see thread referring to it). the comments were not about voluntary but about mandatory camp (upcoming)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Willie responding to Michael Smith's article:

Mr. Michael smith if you are going to report on my commentary please get it right I nvr called wes a diva a fan did I watched u grow up kid

Willie McGinest on Wes Welker: I don’t like the diva attitude

wes-welkerGetty Images

Wes Welker is an unsigned free agent who has been designated as the Patriots’ franchise player, and he has said he doesn’t plan to participate in the team’s June minicamp if he hasn’t signed by then. One former Patriot, Willie McGinest, has a problem with that.

I just don’t like the diva attitude,” McGinest said on NFL Network’s Total Access.

McGinest believes that, instead of expecting the Patriots to show him the money, Welker should be thankful that the Patriots have transformed him from a third receiver into a star.

“Let’s keep it real: Prior to the Patriots, this is a guy who played three years, had 96 receptions, never had a 1,000-yard season. So due to, in big part, the Patriots’ offensive system, and Tom Brady, he’s had five years with over 100 catches,” McGinest said. “A big part of that is due to the Patriots.”

And that means, McGinest says, Welker ought to sign the franchise tender and be thankful for it.

“This $9 million-plus that they’re offering is half of his last contract,” McGinest said. “That’s a lot of money. Let’s not forget that they signed Brandon Lloyd, they signed [Anthony Gonzalez], they signed [Deion] Branch back, they got the two tight ends; they have weapons on that offense. So look, Wes, it’s time to take off the leopard-printed cowboy boots, get off the party tour and get back to work. In my 12 years in New England, no matter how big you were, nobody said they weren’t coming to a mandatory minicamp. ”

But that’s where McGinest’s comments fall apart. For starters, the minicamp isn’t mandatory for unsigned players. There’s no such thing as “mandatory” for unsigned players. If you’re not under contract the team can’t tell you what to do.

Secondly, McGinest seems to think the Patriots have enough receivers that they don’t need Welker. But Bill Belichick obviously disagrees, because if the Patriots thought they didn’t need Welker, they’d yank the franchise tag. The Patriots are offering him a guaranteed base salary for this season of more than $9 million because they think he’s worth more than $9 million.

The reality is that Welker could command more on the open market than he’s being offered by the Patriots, and he’s doing what most people would do if offered less money than he knows he’s worth: He’s declining to accept the offer. That doesn’t make him a diva.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Based on my take of the vid I think Wille is not being critical but giving good advice.
    He is saying that if you turn down a decent offer and then make a point to talk about your negotioations in public as well as hint toward a holdout you have a lot less of a chance to ever see any $ from the Pats and remain in Foxboro.

If Wes wants to stay he should stay quiet in public and go about his buisness. He has a better shot at being rewarded if he does so. BB can be cold bloded and who knows what will be the tipping point where he decides to move on from a player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wow. unblievable. yeah we hail Willie as a great Patriot, but these ex-patriots are becoming more of a pain in the a$s lately and most of them played defense.

In the end Wes will become his own worst enemy. if he keeps playing russian roulette with BB, he may find himself playing for Cleveland too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]Chill on that nonsense willie...Wes has earned the right to negotiate a solid deal.  This is offseason conditioning, not training camp.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

Pullleeeze....

As if $9.5M for one year's work is an insult?

Please insult me.

Shut up, show up and play ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I never disagreed with the sentiment of McGinest's comments. But he was a little too strong with how he said things for my liking.

Sure he never "called" WW a Diva...he just said to stop witht he diva attitude. Kind of splitting hairs on that, and seems to be back-tracking.

Michael Smith may be the ONLY person at ESPN I respect, for McGinest to go the "I watched you grow up kid" route was purely immature.

Then his other...what was it? Get of the party tour bus? Or whatever he said? Over the line.

I was glad Welker responded as he did, I thought that was perfect.

And back when McGinest left, as far as "never getting a call"...if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Pioli the main guy in contract negotiations? Ok, maybe I'M now splitting hairs at this point.

As for Willie Mac setting some record...do we need to go over how many Patriot records Welker holds? It's more than 1.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schillings_Ankle. Show Schillings_Ankle's posts

I like Wes Welker, but Willie McGinest always came up big at the "do or die" moments.  Unfortunately, Wes hasn't.  We won 3 Super Bowls with Willie -- that's 3 more than we've won with Wes.  I think Willie might have been a little too harsh and a little unfair, but we can NOT win the Super Bowl without Wes as easily as we can not win it with him.  Willie's my boy.  If the Pats could move up in the draft to get a game-changing pass rusher by trading Wes and swapping 1st Round Draft picks with somebody, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Though Wes is the best, we've got plenty of other good receiving options now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots signed 4 WR's this offseason Branch,Stallworth,Gonzalez and Lloyd they also got Ochocinco to restructure his contract,does anyone else here see the handwritting on the wall? Dropping a super bowl clinching pass does not endear you to either TB or BB. He has a Franchise tag offer of 9.4 million dollars for this year he can sign it or stuff it where the sun doesn't shine for all I care,BB and the Patriots are prepared to move on. Do not be surprised if he is traded on Thursday evening!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

One guy was a major contributor in getting us 3 rings.  The other directly cost us a ring.  F Welker and his tiny little hobbit hands.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The Patriots signed 4 WR's this offseason Branch,Stallworth,Gonzalez and Lloyd they also got Ochocinco to restructure his contract,does anyone else here see the handwritting on the wall? Dropping a super bowl clinching pass does not endear you to either TB or BB. He has a Franchise tag offer of 9.4 million dollars for this year he can sign it or stuff it where the sun doesn't shine for all I care,BB and the Patriots are prepared to move on. Do not be surprised if he is traded on Thursday evening!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

give me a 1 and itrs done.
    dont know if hes tha valualbe to another team at this moment.
    but he wont sign teh tag so its moot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ma6dragon9
    did you see that you posted the same topic thread about the same subject, hours after i posted it?

i too found it interesting. i didnt get starting the same thread.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds! : give me a 1 and itrs done. dont know if hes tha valualbe to another team at this moment. but he wont sign teh tag so its moot.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]I'm sure that the magician (BB) has a way to make a trade happen if he wants to. The Chiefs and Cassels want WW on their team and the Patriots would love to move up into the top 11 and still keep their other 2 first rounders for ammunition. Or maybe they just trade bodies Dwayne Bowe for WW...I'm dreaming of a White Christmas...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McGinest outspoken about Welker, Welker responds! : I'm sure that the magician (BB) has a way to make a trade happen if he wants to. The Chiefs and Cassels want WW on their team and the Patriots would love to move up into the top 11 and still keep their other 2 first rounders for ammunition. Or maybe they just trade bodies Dwayne Bowe for WW...I'm dreaming of a White Christmas...
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

thanks for that thought.
    good post.