McKenzie and Crable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

Re: McKenzie and Crable

you said it unknown and untested.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Best case scenario they remain healthy and are ready to play.  We then turn a position of need into a noteworthy strength.  Worst case scenario neither cut the mustard in which case we're still improving at the LB position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

After the release of Thomas, it would appear Bill is going to keep Crable until the end of training camp at the very least. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Crable could be a pretty good OLB if he can stay healthy. This is the year...either he stays healthy and plays, or you jettison him. 

McKenzie on the other hand is a good kid and I think is going to be a good player for us. I would keep him for as long as we can.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Everyone's talking about how Guyton's size isn't right for OLB. Crable seems even more like a misfit to me there.  He's something like 6'5" and 245 lbs.  Tall and thin like a basketball player.  I guess the long arms and rangy build give him leverage against tackles when he pass rushes, but I have a hard time imagining him doing all the other things OLBs are supposed to do.  Of course, I haven't seen him play except for a few snaps two pre-seasons ago and every once in a while a guy with unusual dimensions for a position turns out to be great at that position.  If he Crable finally plays, he's going to be interesting to watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Team health is the number one problem with the Patriots. IF this Crable guy can get on the field he may be really good. If nothing else maybe he plays well enough to get traded for a draft pick next year. He's a big wildcard but let's be honest before any of the guys in the NFL become superstars they started out with names like Shawn Crable. For the Pats' sake and ours' as fans I hope he plays his heart out and becomes a valuable contributor. If the Pats do lots of subbing with comparatively good players at LB they could wear out some offenses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

After the draft last year BB was telling anyone who would listen that this kid was a steal and would play right away

I don't recall Belichick ever saying anything to that effect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

McKenzie had a serious knee reconstruction and that's often trouble.  Throw Brandon Tate into this reconstruction pile too. 

If, and not when, McKenzie fully recovers, he still isn't necessarily NFL-quality, but third rounders often do OK.  He'll play behind Mayo, Brandon Spikes and Guyton.

Crable seemed to be playing better than his third round roots, when he wasn't injured.  All of his injuries aren't the career-ending kind, he doesn't cost much, and BB never had to make a serious cut decision on him, so he's still here and maybe he'll hit a healthy year and start ahead of Jermaine Cunningham until Cunningham gets up to speed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Crable was average at best in college and all the geniuses think he will be an impact player in the NFL.  I watched 10-20 Michigan games and Crable was the third best lineman on the team.  So let's drop the Crable talk. 

I have not seen too much footage on McKenzie, but I hope he can stay healthy and take a solid run at the 2nd inside position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I was wondering if anyone could find Crable's current weight. I just want to know if he has bulked up so he can withstand hits. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

In Response to Re: McKenzie and Crable:
    CRABLE IS FINALLY HEALTHY. HE SHOWED GLIMPSES OF GREATNESS WHEN HE HAS PLAYED 
    Posted by steve1581

when in the world did he show that???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Mckenzie is a beast, Crable is a bust

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Everyone's talking about how Guyton's size isn't right for OLB. Crable seems even more like a misfit to me there.  He's something like 6'5" and 245 lbs. ....Posted by prolate0spheroid

Crable is listed as 6-5, 243 and Guyton as 6-3, 245.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

@prolate0spheroid: That rangy build (6'"5 244lbs) is what allows an OLD to set the edge, "extending" out from the TE when engaged.  Picture a long armed guy who has been grabbed by the TE, pushing off hard with his inside arm and reaching out far with his outside arm, extending his reach far enough to seal off the outside and force the runner back into the interior of the defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

@ prolate0spheroid : That rangy build (6'"5 244lbs) is what allows an OLD to set the edge, "extending" out from the TE when engaged.  Picture a long armed guy who has been grabbed by the TE, pushing off hard with his inside arm and reaching out far with his outside arm, extending his reach far enough to seal off the outside and force the runner back into the interior of the defense.
    Posted by USMCM1A1

USMCM1A1, this board needs more of us fellow tankers.  I think we're outnumbered by aviators at the moment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Yeah, those nasty shin bruises sure can hurt! It's good BB did the right thing and IR'd Crable to let those bruises heal.

Seriously people, are you really suggesting Crable will contribute? Why? Edelman breaks his arm but he isn't IR'd. Why? Because he can help the team. Why was Crable IR'd so early without any serious injury for each of the last two years? Because he can't help the team and he stinks. Use some logic here and look at Crable's legs if you visit training camp. They are thin for a bball player. There's a reason he's had no impact. It's best if people stop having dreams of him turning into Willie Mac. Just a waste of time.

They'll need to address this spot via free agency or just have Woods/Davis/Nihkovich hold down the spot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Q: Hi Mike, with the release of Adalius Thomas, it appears the Pats could have problems at outside linebacker. It looks like they are very thin unless second-round draft choice Jermaine Cunningham can play immediately. If he can't step in, couldGary Guyton or Tyrone McKenzie be moved outside? -- Jim (Seminole, Fla.)

A: Jim, if we look at things solely from a base 3-4 defense, I think Guyton and McKenzie would be miscast as outside linebackers. Not big enough. The Patriots were in Seattle late in 2008 and tried Guyton at outside linebacker, and he got the quick hook because he was getting overpowered. So I don't see this as a solution, although one thing I would say is that Guyton and McKenzie could provide the defense more flexibility if it is playing a four-man line, and we know the Patriots do that at times as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

2 of the biggest question marks on the team. Just one, turning out to be good, would be a bonus, at this point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In the 2008 combine, Gary Guyton finished first overall for LBs in both the 40yrd and 3 cone dash.  Shawn Crable was very respectable at the 40 and actually won the competion for Bench press (#of times at 225lbs) with 29.  Side note: Guyton finished dead last in bench press with only 15.

Crable has excellent upper body strength and very good speed.  If healthy, he's perfectly suited for a passing down OLB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

so you're saying if we could cut guyton and crable in half and then sow the two haves together, we could have a great linebacker with crable's upper half and guyton's legs. then we could take the bad halves and release them. this is probably the only way crable plays for us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

Neither will be released until at least the end of pre season. If at all. McKenzie is a guy BB is very high on. After the draft last year BB was telling anyone who would listen that this kid was a steal and would play right away and then the kid got hurt. If he comes back strong he will be a starter I think. I like Spikes but I dont know he will beat out this kid. From what i have heard McKenzie was in every single LB meeting last year and never missed a film session. As fir Crable? I dont know. He could get cut or he could stay healthy and show us all that he has learned a lot in team meetings and such and watching film and is ready to play. I am hoping he shocks people and plays well.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Killa:

I think the only thing that will stop Mckenzie is being injured again. I can see a starting LB lineup including Spikes, McKenzie, and Mayo either together or as part of different defensive packages that BB will come up with.

Crable, on the other hand, may very well be off the team by the end of camp. After watching him play at Michigan and following his progress with the Pats, I don't see him as someone that will fulfill their potential on the field.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

To include McKenzie with Crable is a bit too much. Their situation is not even close to the same. McKenzie can play both Inside and outside and his knee suposidly is 100% healed from what I read pre draft. THat tells me he is part of the mix in the LB crew. He probably is the second LB depth wise Inside and the second backup outside also. He could be a starter inside if Spikes doesn't work out though I have a feeling he is going to be a suprise if that is possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Crable was turning heads with his pass-rushing ability during the 2008 pre-season, then came the injuries.

I think he needs to be given one more training camp to prove himself, if he can stay healthy.

Not sure about McKenzie because he had a Tom Brady/Wes Welker injury. I think if he stays healthy and contributes on special teams this year, that's a bonus, because the MCL/ACL tear is a two-year window for "full" recovery.

Both will be on the team for the pre-season games, however. The Pats have to see what they have in them before they make any rash decisions.

Sections
Shortcuts