Media Hates the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coltiniraq. Show coltiniraq's posts

Re: Media Hates the Pats

In Response to Media Hates the Pats:
    [QUOTE]  The Pats are the best team of the century but one would never know this listening to these bunch of clowns!
    Posted by goodsport[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah Undecided  How many teams have won more Super Bowls in the past century than the patriots.  And you do realize, the pats won 3 Super Bowls by a total of 9 points.
    So yeah, I can see where you would think they have been that best team of the century.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Agree with BeaconsStreetRob...in fact, IMO, the real problem is that this year's Patriots team is not yet good enough to be truly hated yet...bring on the hate (jealousy), since it reflects the measure of the Patriots success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coltiniraq. Show coltiniraq's posts

In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats:
    [QUOTE]The NFL wanted poster boy Payton to win a Super Bowl so badly that they were going to do anything to get him in there.  The real joke is that Payton was also named the Super Bowl MVP when it should of gone to Rhodes. Brady should have 3 Super Bowl MVPs, Branch had a great game, but Brady was the one throwing him the ball!
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS[/QUOTE]

Who is this Payton guy you talk about?  Is he anything like Tawm?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]I think we are a bunch of paranoids in New England.  We're all convinced that the rest of the country hates the Pats, the Celtics, the Sox, etc.  With winning comes with hatred and jealousy from other people. The Boston sports scene has done well as of late.  Some media don't appreciate running up the score by the Pats, finger wagging and barking by KG, etc.  I say so the eff what?!?  So what?  Do we need everyone to love our teams?  I know they resepct them, even if they come here to taunt.  This hatred -- it's not to the extent that we all think.  I read lots of national stuff and by far most of the press is positive.  Let's get over ourselves a bit, eh? 
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Rob has a pretty good point here. I've lived in a couple different NFL markets since the Pats started dominating the NFL just after the turn of the century, and I'm here to tell you that, by and large, this hatred that gets played up in this forum doesn't really exist. There are places where you will hear some griping about an "east coast bias," but that is as much time-zone driven as anything (that and TMZSPN -- thank you, Laurie -- is located in Connecticut). I love the KG example. It's funny, but Garnett's attitude as a player hasn't changed at all. But he didn't get many opportunities to run his mouth or wag his finger when he was getting his @ss handed to him every night by 30. And even when KG did make a spectacle of himself, nobody noticed because nobody gives a damn about the Timberwolves -- and that includes the residents of these fair cities.

I'm willing to admit that TMZSPN may go a bit out of its way to characterize the Pats' organization in a certain light -- the knock on Belichick as a media vacuum is accurate and well earned. But the media's job is to fill air time and column inches as a means of generating advertising revenue, and far from hating the Pats, I should think a team that can elicit at least marginal national interest -- even negative interest, like, for instance, the Yankees -- would be a godsend to them.

The media loves the Pats.

Trust me on this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Media Hates the Pats : Uh yeah   How many teams have won more Super Bowls in the past century than the patriots.  And you do realize, the pats won 3 Super Bowls by a total of 9 points. So yeah, I can see where you would think they have been that best team of the century.
    Posted by coltiniraq[/QUOTE]

~The Poster did say the best team of the century so far...Are we all working off the same century as it stands in '09?  BTW coltiniraq, off-topic, but just want to send my appreciation for WHATever you're doing over there (seriously, it's keepin' any mess over there, Not over here...give my respect to any brothers in arms you have, Colt Fan, Jet Fan, whomever)... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]The title of this thread is not true. Cant make it through a week without seeing Brady's mug on the tube. Even playing the lowly Bucs. Unfounded east coast bias IMO.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Patriot envy rears its ugly head again.

You're saying that Brady gets more media exposure than Manning? Get real!

Saint manning is out on the tube peddling everything from hot dogs to tampons. I'm not aware of any commercial brady has ever made. I could be wrong but can you name one?

I agree that there is an east coast bias in all electronic media, especially sports media, but it's centered around all things NY and definately works against the Pats.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : Rob has a pretty good point here. I've lived in a couple different NFL markets since the Pats started dominating the NFL just after the turn of the century, and I'm here to tell you that, by and large, this hatred that gets played up in this forum doesn't really exist. There are places where you will hear some griping about an "east coast bias," but that is as much time-zone driven as anything (that and TMZSPN -- thank you, Laurie -- is located in Connecticut). I love the KG example. It's funny, but Garnett's attitude as a player hasn't changed at all. But he didn't get many opportunities to run his mouth or wag his finger when he was getting his @ss handed to him every night by 30. And even when KG did make a spectacle of himself, nobody noticed because nobody gives a damn about the Timberwolves -- and that includes the residents of these fair cities. I'm willing to admit that TMZSPN may go a bit out of its way to characterize the Pats' organization in a certain light -- the knock on Belichick as a media vacuum is accurate and well earned. But the media's job is to fill air time and column inches as a means of generating advertising revenue, and far from hating the Pats, I should think a team that can elicit at least marginal national interest -- even negative interest, like, for instance, the Yankees -- would be a godsend to them. The media loves the Pats. Trust me on this.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Prairiemike

It's the typical "can't see beyond Rt 128" mentality and pervasive New Englander (mostly Bostonian) mistrust of all things outside of the region that makes a lot of us feel that it's us against the world.  I'm a media consumer and I travel enough to see first hand (via newspapers, radio shows, etc) that the rest of the country isn't sitting there waiting to see what those crazy @$$ people in Boston do next. 

People want to take the extreme attitude of opposing fans that come here and use that to make generalizations about the universe of fans across all sports.  It just doesn't work.  Again, I'd mcuh rather see our teams give people a reason to talk because that means they're doing something correct.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with BeaconsStreetRob...in fact, IMO, the real problem is that this year's Patriots team is not yet good enough to be truly hated yet...bring on the hate (jealousy), since it reflects the measure of the Patriots success.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Futbal

Actually closer to Rt 9 man.  Like you said, give em something to hate us for. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : Prairiemike It's the typical "can't see beyond Rt 128" mentality and pervasive New Englander (mostly Bostonian) mistrust of all things outside of the region that makes a lot of us feel that it's us against the world.  I'm a media consumer and I travel enough to see first hand (via newspapers, radio shows, etc) that the rest of the country isn't sitting there waiting to see what those crazy @$$ people in Boston do next.  People want to take the extreme attitude of opposing fans that come here and use that to make generalizations about the universe of fans across all sports.  It just doesn't work.  Again, I'd mcuh rather see our teams give people a reason to talk because that means they're doing something correct.    
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

yes, but on the other hand there's the whole "spygate" issue. It amazed me how quickly the entire country embraced that whole ridiculous issue and the kind of national hate-fest that it kicked off. There's still a lot of that hatefulness out there directed at the "cheaters".

Personally, I think its mostly driven by jealosy but I really wonder why it is that certain teams (i.e. colts, steelers, cowboys) never get negative press but others seem to always draw criticism. 

For example, look at the roethlisberger situation. The man's going to trial for rape. Where's the media coverage and/or outrage? Yes, he's innocent until...yada, yada but when has that ever slowed down the media? Does anyone think that if it were brady instead of roethlisberger there might be a bit more media coverage?
    Like, maybe, 24/7?

Look at the marvin harrison matter. Two witnesses have come forward stating that they saw him shoot a man dead. they've IDed the murder weapon as belonging to harrison. they found it in a trash can outside harrison's bar. the DA refused to indict and the media refuses to publicize the whole issue. It seems that colt's players can  do no wrong.

Again, if randy moss were in that identical situation, do you think it might be getting a bit more media coverage?

IMHO, the bias is most defintaly out there but BB is smart enough to use it as a motivational tool; us vs. them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : Who is this Payton guy you talk about?  Is he anything like Tawm?
    Posted by coltiniraq[/QUOTE]

I guess it's much better when you end your questions with a period.

PEYTON Manning has had great weapons around him his whole career.  Tom gets  some weapons and makes Manning look like the little cry baby he is and his brother is the same way.  Once things aren't going their way they call out their teammates and throw them under the bus.  How many times has Peyton restructured his contract for the benefit of the team????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : My numbers have the Pats ahead of the Colts, and the Saints are third.  What bothers me about the Saints is the mere idea that 2-4 Miami can get 21 points ahead of them at any time.  The Saints owe a big one for Sparano's stupidity.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    My brain says your numbers are all wrong. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : Patriot envy rears its ugly head again. You're saying that Brady gets more media exposure than Manning? Get real! Saint manning is out on the tube peddling everything from hot dogs to tampons. I'm not aware of any commercial brady has ever made. I could be wrong but can you name one? I agree that there is an east coast bias in all electronic media, especially sports media, but it's centered around all things NY and definately works against the Pats.  
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]
    I don't want to split hairs here but is advertising really same kind of media that the thread title implies?  The reasons for Manning being a beloved advertiser of product has little or nothing to do with the news/opinion media. 

Beyond that, Brady works really well as a print model.  Manning could never make a cologne that can't be smelled in print (or a baby goat) as attractive as Brady.  But Brady cannot deliver a line nearly as effectively as Manning.  If he could, do you think advertisers would ever prefer Manning's mug to Brady's? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : yes, but on the other hand there's the whole "spygate" issue. It amazed me how quickly the entire country embraced that whole ridiculous issue and the kind of national hate-fest that it kicked off. There's still a lot of that hatefulness out there directed at the "cheaters". Personally, I think its mostly driven by jealosy but I really wonder why it is that certain teams (i.e. colts, steelers, cowboys) never get negative press but others seem to always draw criticism.  For example, look at the roethlisberger situation. The man's going to trial for rape. Where's the media coverage and/or outrage? Yes, he's innocent until...yada, yada but when has that ever slowed down the media? Does anyone think that if it were brady instead of roethlisberger there might be a bit more media coverage? Like, maybe, 24/7? Look at the marvin harrison matter. Two witnesses have come forward stating that they saw him shoot a man dead. they've IDed the murder weapon as belonging to harrison. they found it in a trash can outside harrison's bar. the DA refused to indict and the media refuses to publicize the whole issue. It seems that colt's players can  do no wrong.   Again, if randy moss were in that identical situation, do you think it might be getting a bit more media coverage? IMHO, the bias is most defintaly out there but BB is smart enough to use it as a motivational tool; us vs. them.

I think the lack of publicity on the Roethlisberger issue has much to do with:
    a.  the plaintiffs credibility has effectively been called into question.
    b.  we are not yet at trial.
    c.  kobe bryant was exonerated.
    d.  it is not a criminal suit
    And most importantly, 
    e.  the Duke Lacrosse debacle has potentially put the media on notice that sensationalizing accusations might not be wise. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : I guess it's much better when you end your questions with a period. PEYTON Manning has had great weapons around him his whole career.  Tom gets  some weapons and makes Manning look like the little cry baby he is and his brother is the same way.  Once things aren't going their way they call out their teammates and throw them under the bus.  How many times has Peyton restructured his contract for the benefit of the team????
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS[/QUOTE]
    You mean like Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon or Jerome Pathon or Marcus Pollard or Terrance Wilkins or Dominic Rhodes?

As for restructuring his contract, it has happened at least once.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : You mean like Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon or Jerome Pathon or Marcus Pollard or Terrance Wilkins or Dominic Rhodes? As for restructuring his contract, it has happened at least once.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Manning has always had Marvin (gun packin) Harrison, Edge James, still has Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Addai (overrated).  In those years Brady had D. Branch (who?), A. Smith, R. Caldwell, J. Gaffney.  Now he has Moss and Welker which to me is the equivalent to Harrison and Wayne.  Still doesn't have a RB to the equivalent to Edge.  If Brady had those weapons his whole career like Manning,there would be no debate as to who is the number one QB in this error.  BRADY hands down.  Not to mention who is more clutch........ 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slapointe1232. Show slapointe1232's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : There are more people that make up names here for manning and the colts that it is astounding.  I have read posts from some saying that those who speak negatively of the pats are just jealous.  Can I apply name calling in the same way?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

why would we be jealous of the colts. we've won 3 superbowls, you've won one. nope, we're DEFINITELY not jealous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Media Hates the Pats : Patriot envy rears its ugly head again. You're saying that Brady gets more media exposure than Manning? Get real! Saint manning is out on the tube peddling everything from hot dogs to tampons. I'm not aware of any commercial brady has ever made. I could be wrong but can you name one? I agree that there is an east coast bias in all electronic media, especially sports media, but it's centered around all things NY and definately works against the Pats.  

Call it envy if you want, but, you need to look no further then the non-hit on Brady's knee to see how far reaching it is.
    yes, Brady does get coverage like Peyton. It has nothing to do with commercials.Couldn't get away from London without CBS & Tom broadcast  throughout all creation. Media (so-called journalism) & advertising campaigns are not the same thing.
    works against Boston? that's downright laughable, you're kidding right.
     here's a list of the 2 loss teams:
    PIT
    CIN
    NE
    AZ
    ATL
    GB
    DAL
    PHI
    NYG

Not even PIT or NYG get as much coverage nationally as NE.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]The hyperbole is a nice shuck-and-jive, but the fact of the matter is that the NFL did, in fact , apologize formally to Hobbs for that blown call. It would seem to me that there would be very little reason for fans of other teams to be continually pointing that out, whereas Pats fans would be -- understandably -- a bit more rankled.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

The only thing about that call that is even remotely tolerable is the fact that no one can dispute it. The call was "face guarding", a rule which does not exist in the NFL and the NFL apologized. They might have just as well called him for a three second violation or improper lane change.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]The title of this thread is not true. Cant make it through a week without seeing Brady's mug on the tube. Even playing the lowly Bucs. Unfounded east coast bias IMO. I cant believe you actually even think that way to be honest. And dont ask UD, Peyton gets the same glorified treatment. What a joke!
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I have actually never seen a TB ad on TV when I think about it. I saw his Stetson magazine ad, but never an ad. I did see him on SNL and Entourage.

I heard they wanted The Danian for a lot of ads until they realized that all his tears kept smearing his make-up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I still think they need to adjust pass interference. Especially with the onslaught of ticky tacky penalties called.

It says volumes about the game that teams throw long bombs in the hopes of getting a flag instead of a catch.

Watching the Fins Jets game a week or so ago, the Fins were shanked by that rule. it made the game way closer than it should have been. 50+ yarder that put the ball on the goal line for a very questionable call.

I honestly think PI after 15 yards should just be 15 yards. Maybe 20. But the connection rate on long passes does not merit a free pass when a DB gives a jersey tug.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I still think they need to adjust pass interference. Especially with the onslaught of ticky tacky penalties called. It says volumes about the game that teams throw long bombs in the hopes of getting a flag instead of a catch. Watching the Fins Jets game a week or so ago, the Fins were shanked by that rule. it made the game way closer than it should have been. 50+ yarder that put the ball on the goal line for a very questionable call. I honestly think PI after 15 yards should just be 15 yards. Maybe 20. But the connection rate on long passes does not merit a free pass when a DB gives a jersey tug.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Then the defense has full reign after 15 yards.

Bomb to Moss? I'd rather give up 15 than let him catch a 45 yd TD over my head. Might as well trip him.

It is going to benefit either the defense or the offense either way. I would prefer the benefit fall to the side not committing the penalty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

As far as pass interference goes, both z and Root are correct. So perhaps some kind of "flagrant" interference versus "incidental" interference would have to be the compromise. And there again, you're giving the official the opportunity to decide who he wants to win -- which isn't really any different than the way it is now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I will profer this folks.....  I don't think there is an overall "hate the Pats" media agenda.  What happens, as we often observe here, is we'll hear about one media pundit who has some sort of negative slant in a Pats article and everyone then focuses on that article blowing it up to be a overall media strike at the Pats. What we get is another media outlet picks it up, people discuss it and it seems it is everyone's opinion. Look at how we see out of town fans post on here and claim all Pats fans as whiners, band wagon fans etc..    Like we do with that one article, they will remember that post and apply it to all.  Same goes for fans who call the Pats "cheaters", don't you notice it is the same posters time and time again?  I guess, in the end, as Pats fans, we like to see all positive press about the team and take anything negative with a grain of salt, not liking it at all.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

...You forgot about Hamburglar (BB stealing signs and Hamburglar stealing double cheeseburgers, inact somewhat common themes, invoking professional jealousy), AND Catwoman (BB had a fling with her, subsequently dumping her for the more promiscuous, Smurfette...catwoman landed on her feet as always though)...