Mel Kiper haters...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: Mel Kiper haters...

In Response to Re: Mel Kiper haters...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kiper haters... : I remember a majority of us loved Spikes and had him going in the mid 2nd to late 3rd area. I think it's funny that the major draft people just dismissed his speed because we saw his instincts and intangibles but this year a lot of people turned into Al Davis wanting the fastest thing on 2 legs for WR, RB, and OLB. DMc was a shocker last year. I remember I thought he was a shot in the mid to late 2nd but wasn't happy they took him with the 1st (boy I was wrong) but I do remember at least a couple of us thinking he could be an option. As far as Kiper goes. From picks 1-10 he is great then he starts to tail off a bit but still manages to have good guess from then on out. The problem is that he is always wrong on the Pats. Before the pick his ego gets in the way and he acts like he has inside info and then looks like a combo of confused and angry when they trade back or don't pick his player. Personally I think that's why they always cut to a break right before or after the Pats pick/trade. Because they have to give Kiper a second to pick his jaw off the ground, get info on the player, and have him search through his 1 bazillion mocks to realize that it wasn't the player he chose in any of them. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. Targeting every player that Kiper didn't pick for them.

eng,

"Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. Targeting every player that Kiper didn't pick for them."

(laughing....)

keep it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Mel Kiper haters...:
    [QUOTE]Agreed.  My only issue with Kiper is he states things based on data almost exclusively and pretty much ignores an NFL team's style of drafting, etc. McShay is aware of what a team like a NE would look for, while Kiper is not. McShay is also from Mass, I believe. Kiper is from Baltimore, originally, I believe. Overall, I actually think Kiper has mellowed over the years. He was more annoying 10-15 years ago. Mayock is probably the best out of all them.  He seems to have a very good read across the board (team need, talent of player, style of NFL team's draft apporach, etc).
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

" My only issue with Kiper is he states things based on data almost exclusively and pretty much ignores an NFL team's style of drafting, etc."

exactly....

"Mayock is probably the best out of all them.  He seems to have a very good read across the board (team need, talent of player, style of NFL team's draft apporach, etc)."

yup, pretty good.

kipers whole problem is that he comes off really bad on air. he just doent have a great personality. and as someone just pointed out, his ego is too offended if soemone doesnt pick who kiper has them picking. whocares kipe it's a game. and hes in the top 5 yearly, so why care. laugh and learn, and eat some humble pie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

If there is one thing that drives me nuts is people who only use data or only use a context.

You have to use both.  Bottom line companies fail because they only look at numbers.  Companies that look at trends and aren't conservative/responsible with their investing also fail.

For example, Kiper might rate a particular OLB, say like a Von Miller, who could go 15-17 (Miller will go higher, but for this discussion), so that means he feels NE would be foolish not to take Miller as a can't miss OLB.

Is Miller a great talent? Yup.  Would he fit in NE? No.  He would get run off the field trying to set the edge in a 3-4.

IN this case, NE might choose, say, Ryan Kerrigan over the more explosive Von Miller, because Kerrigan "fits the suit" a la Johnny Bravo.

Kiper will check his personal ratings sheet and then act like choosing someone else lower on his ratings scale is some kind of disaster.

1. NE plays a 3-4.
    2. Kiper has no idea what  NE's plans are elsewhere in the draft or in free agency, or how they view players in their system, developing under the best coach in the NFL.

Also, NE, as well as other teams, put a premium on character and intelligence and Kiper does not.

Kiper puts way too much stock in the combine, too. It's like saying someone isn't intelligent because they had a less than great SAT score on a Saturday morning at 7 AM when they are 16 years old.

Dumb logic.

Use the contexts and the data and it's overwhelming in both cases, there is your answer (usuuall).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwiegmann24. Show cwiegmann24's posts

I loved it when NE drafted Vollmer in the second round, and everyone stopped and stared for a second, then looked to Kiper. He had a lot to say about him, knew his German roots and that he played for Houston, but also said that he was a reach.

Sections
Shortcuts