Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round

At pick 17 Watt makes all the sense in the world. In fact, a great number of people around here (including myself) have been hoping that Watt is the pick at 17. He's a great pass-rusher, has a non-stop motor, and has the frame to fit as a DE in the 3-4. Not to mention I've also read that he has a great character and an equally great work-ethic, which I'm sure BB has to love in a player.

I don't think a RB at #28 makes much sense, though. I'd rather see an OL or an OLB drafted there, seeing as those are (in my opinion) the two biggest needs behind DE. On the OL, the Mankins situation is pretty much self-explanatory, and Neal is in the twilight of his career. Light may not be back next year, and even if he is, he isn't getting any younger.

As for OLB, I don't think Rob Ninkovich strikes fear into the heart of anyone, so the spot opposite Cunningham could use an upgrade. Perhaps someone like Justin Houston could help?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Kiper is ALWAYS wrong when it comes to BB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd agree with Watt at 17, though Kiper is a bit behind in his projections.  Posters have been pushing for Watt with NE's first pick (particularly Faucetman) on the draft thread for months now.

I had Watt or Cameron Jordan (6-4 287 DL) from Cal at 17 and Mike Pouncey (6-4 310 OG) from Florida at 28 in my latest mock.  I'd prefer they address both the offensive and defensive fronts before looking at a RB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round:
    [QUOTE]I'd agree with Watt at 17, though Kiper is a bit behind in his projections.  Posters have been pushing for Watt with NE's first pick (particularly Faucetman) on the draft thread for months now. I had Watt or Cameron Jordan (6-4 287 DL) from Cal at 17 and Mike Pouncey (6-4 310 OG) from Florida at 28 in my latest mock.  I'd prefer they address both the offensive and defensive fronts before looking at a RB.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    I'm right there with ya!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

It seems Kiper reads this board.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Predicting Patriot picks is useless since BB will likely trade down, generate more draft picks from lower rounds and trades some 2nd/3rd/4th round picks into the next year so that we can finally have a team to win with in 2020 when we cash all those picks.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Yeah, shame on Bill, he should clearly change his draft philosophy. 

All he has to show for it is a 126-50 regular season record (14-5 in the playoffs), 3 SB titles and 8 division titles. 

They really aren't competitive enough (1 sub-9 win season; his first with NE while winning 10 or more games 9 of 11 years), so they should probably look for a coach/GM that can bring better continuity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

Kiper's ESPN's king idiot.  I remember last year him saying "no NFL team is consdering Tim Tebow in the first round.  That would be crazy" or something of the like.  Said he'd be on the board likely til round 3, based on "everyone I've talked to."  Lo and behold, Saint Timmy goes in the 1st, proving for the 20th straight year, Mel Kiper has no more connections to the league than your garbage man.

The last good thing to come out of Indianapolis was in 1994 when Kiper drilled Bill Tobin's 1st round pick.  Tobin got up on the podium and said what I think we all privately think ourselves...

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I like Watt too, but the way he disappeared in the Rose Bowl gives me pause.
     No RBs in the 1st or at 33. DE-OLB-OL are where we need to look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

[QUOTE]I'd agree with Watt at 17, though Kiper is a bit behind in his projections.  Posters have been pushing for Watt with NE's first pick (particularly Faucetman) on the draft thread for months now. I had Watt or Cameron Jordan (6-4 287 DL) from Cal at 17 and Mike Pouncey (6-4 310 OG) from Florida at 28 in my latest mock.  I'd prefer they address both the offensive and defensive fronts before looking at a RB.

^^^
    smart man right there folks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I read a couple of scouting reports on Watt myself this afternoon and it pretty much reflects what everyone here has said. I don't know anybody that could argue with the Pats taking what would appear to be a solid DE and this guy fits the mold. I have no confidence that Ty Warren will be healthy or the player he once was so if BB likes him so do I. I hope we keep our picks and I hope we use most on defense and grab some O-L help with the Latter picks. Let's hope Kiper is right on this one.

Leshoure- I doubt it but he is a hell of back if they do go that route.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

mbeaulieu07,
    you  miss  murghkhor's  point.  The  PATS  haven't  won  a  SUPERBOWL  in  six  years.  PATS'  fans  have  been  living  on  past  glory.  BB  is  clearly  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  And  he  needs  to  change  the  draft  strategy,  on  occassion.  If  BB  had  the  TALENT  the  JETS, STEELERS  or  PACKERS  have, we'd  have  our  4th  SUPERBOWL WIN.  The  PATS  simply  don't  have  enough  TALENT.  Rather  than  continuing  to  accumulate  a  bunch  of  draft  choices, we  occassionally  need  to  draft  some  DIFFERENCE  MAKERS.  I'm  in  favor  of  using  our  17th, 28th  and  33rd  picks   rather  than  trading  down  this  year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Per Reiss-

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has posted the second version of his mock draft (Insider content), and he is aligned with Mel Kiper in that he targets the defensive end and running back spots.

At the No. 17 pick, McShay likes Purdue defensive end/outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. "He fits their mold of a player with the height and bulk to play outside linebacker and get after the quarterback in their 3-4 scheme," he writes.

At the No. 28 pick, McShay targets Alabama running back Mark Ingram. McShay notes that it is not a top need but this would be a luxury pick and "it would be hard for them to pass on the best running back in the draft."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07, you  miss  murghkhor's  point.  The  PATS  haven't  won  a  SUPERBOWL  in  six  years.  PATS'  fans  have  been  living  on  past  glory.  BB  is  clearly  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  And  he  needs  to  change  the  draft  strategy,  on  occassion.  If  BB  had  the  TALENT  the  JETS, STEELERS  or  PACKERS  have, we'd  have  our  4th  SUPERBOWL WIN.  The  PATS  simply  don't  have  enough  TALENT.  Rather  than  continuing  to  accumulate  a  bunch  of  draft  choices, we  occassionally  need  to  draft  some  DIFFERENCE  MAKERS.  I'm  in  favor  of  using  our  17th, 28th  and  33rd  picks   rather  than  trading  down  this  year. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not missing the point at all.  You both seem to be implying that there is a clear method to drafting (BB's method not being it) that will increase a teams chances to win a championship and that is simply incorrect and lacks anything factual to back it up.  Additionally, Green Bay hasn't won a title since 1996 and the Jets since 1968 (haven't won the division since 2002) so why should they be considered a barometer of draft success? 

The goal of a coach/GM is to assemble a team that can be competitive, win the division, with the ultimate goal of winning a championship, are you saying that BB and (by default) his draft philosophy/strategy don't have those goals in mind?  Have they not been a highly competitive team since BB arrived in Foxboro?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm with buttgrundle -- Kiper's pretty stupid.  He gets paid, tho. 

I recommend Wes Bunting as somebody who is pretty smart. 

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/wes-bunting.html

As for the picks, expect a first to be traded down three or five spots at a time for an extra third rounder, or sometimes for next year's first plus a second this year.  Expect a second this year for a first next year.  Expect a third this year for a second next year.  BB and Kraft will never mortgage the 2012 season for the 2011 season -- they want a quality team on the field throughout the next decade.

Expect BB to trade upwards with fourth through seventh rounders -- two thirds for a second rounder, a fourth and a third for a higher third rounder -- because he already has the youngest set of starters in the NFL and he just doesn't have any more roster spots for longshots.  A rebuilding team like Arizona or Carolina could use rookies more than the Pats could, and might do the trade.

I haven't even looked at any college players, but the whole defensive line is out on injured reserve and that's never a good sign. 

BB has septaugenarians at RB -- Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk.  Woodhead and BJGE need help.  2 RBs for 19 games just won't work.

Mankins is walking.  Steve Neal is on IR.  Get a guard.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : ^^^ smart man right there folks
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

kiper hasn't nailed it correctly for a hoodie 1st rounder since the days his and jimmy johnson's matching toupee's were new out of the box..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I actually like his projected picks for the Pats in Watt and Leshoure in round #1.  We definately need a DE, so Watt would seem to fit the bill there.  My only caveat is that I'd rather target an OLB such as Houston at #28, then go Leshoure at #33.

My most preferred scenario is to move up slightly from #17 and take Robert Quinn to fill the void at OLB, then go Mohammad Wilkerson at #28, and Leshoure at #33.
    I'd then trade #56 for a 2012 2nd rounder.  I know that right now there's this knee-jerk reaction towards going OL early, but honestly, although I consider it a need, I'm just not overly impressed with this year's crop and would rather go OL for 2012.  For this year's draft, I'd go OG somewhere in round 3-4.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Kipers defense he admits he doesn't know what NE will do.  He just throws a player out there who he thinks they need.  Belichick is so tight lipped about everything that no one has a clue at what he will do.  Meaning no media is going to get a hint about what's going on.

I don't think ol' J.J. is going to be there.  Some boards have him going in the top 10.  I believe he'll be gone in the top 15 for sure.  He will take a hit for the Rose Bowl with some teams but most out there save their drool for the combine.

I'm hoping for a QB run that will drop some talent down to the Pats at 17.  Right now I'm just getting into draft mode.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

www.uwbadgers.com/blog/assets_c/2010/03/pull%20ups-thumb-600x491-5371.jpg" alt="pull ups.jpg" width="600" height="491" />
    J.J. to the right.+

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I wouldn't mind JJ watt with our 17th but with our 28th i would like to see an OLB or OL. then with 33 we could get Justin Houston OLB/DE (Georgia) and then with our 2b. i would like a RB such as Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Ryan Williams RB (Virginia Tech) 5’10” 210

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Its time to build a defense that dictates to the offense and not be the same passive aggressive defense that we all see....Imagine steelers defense with Pats offense.... Then address the O line ..especially up the middle....Where  TB gets thumped by the good defenses....Trading down does make the draft fun BUT you get players that are passed over by teams continuing to improve their D's...enoughpicks already...USE THEM and lets have fun watching...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Kipers cell phone number is still floating around the internet. After he left his phone at an airport, and it got picked up by someone.

Call him and tell him that he's a tool, and add that hair gel is not the answer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

After much circumspection you basically have two of the players I have on the list MB. Pouncey (can he play center) and Watt. I see Fairley as essentially this year's Suh. I can't see him falling past #5. What to do with the 2nd ? Mel Kiper's hair.....still exhibiting tremendous upside........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07, you  miss  murghkhor's  point.  The  PATS  haven't  won  a  SUPERBOWL  in  six  years.  PATS'  fans  have  been  living  on  past  glory.  BB  is  clearly  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  And  he  needs  to  change  the  draft  strategy,  on  occassion.  If  BB  had  the  TALENT  the  JETS, STEELERS  or  PACKERS  have, we'd  have  our  4th  SUPERBOWL WIN.  The  PATS  simply  don't  have  enough  TALENT.  Rather  than  continuing  to  accumulate  a  bunch  of  draft  choices, we  occassionally  need  to  draft  some  DIFFERENCE  MAKERS.  I'm  in  favor  of  using  our  17th, 28th  and  33rd  picks   rather  than  trading  down  this  year. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

First off murghkhor is one sad sack SOB.  He's only around when things go wrong.  It's really hard to believe he's a Pats fan at all.  When the Pats started winning he was silent.  Lose the first playoff game and look who's back!

The Jets have talent this year, a no cap year.  Say goodbye to all that talent come the new agreement.  The lose their WRs.  Cromartie is a FA as well.  It doesn't stop there.  The Jets are a house of cards.  It's this year or nothing.

The Packers and Steelers have questions about their teams as well.  They are not all that solid.  The Packers have no running game and their OL is suspect.  Rodgers has had how many concussions now?

Same with Pittsburgh.  OL concerns and keeping big Ben upright is a problem.  Ben needs to be the size he is to take those hits.  Their defensive backfield is a problem too.  They can be passed on.

The Pats problem is they are young and inexperieced.  Bad things will happen.  They do have some holes to fill put they can do it this draft.  Ty Warren and Boddins come back.  The talent isn't proven yet on this team and that's the problem.