Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round

In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't mind JJ watt with our 17th but with our 28th i would like to see an OLB or OL. then with 33 we could get Justin Houston OLB/DE (Georgia) and then with our 2b. i would like a RB such as Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Ryan Williams RB (Virginia Tech) 5’10” 210
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

watt, i give you. after than, nwe can trade away 28 and 33 for high picks next year and nwe can still pick the players you want. i want multiple high picks next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Kiper's ESPN's king idiot.  I remember last year him saying "no NFL team is consdering Tim Tebow in the first round.  That would be crazy" or something of the like.  Said he'd be on the board likely til round 3, based on "everyone I've talked to."  Lo and behold, Saint Timmy goes in the 1st, proving for the 20th straight year, Mel Kiper has no more connections to the league than your garbage man. The last good thing to come out of Indianapolis was in 1994 when Kiper drilled Bill Tobin's 1st round pick.  Tobin got up on the podium and said what I think we all privately think ourselves... "Who the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway?"
    Posted by buttgrundle[/QUOTE] I was going to read all the posts but after reading yours I realized how right you are. Kiper has guessed at what BB would do ever since he took over in 2001 and I don't recall Mel getting any of his picks right. They might take Watt at 17 but there is no way on God's green earth they will take Leshoure at 28. There is a better chance of me hitting the lottery!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]I actually like his projected picks for the Pats in Watt and Leshoure in round #1.  We definately need a DE, so Watt would seem to fit the bill there.  My only caveat is that I'd rather target an OLB such as Houston at #28, then go Leshoure at #33. My most preferred scenario is to move up slightly from #17 and take Robert Quinn to fill the void at OLB, then go Mohammad Wilkerson at #28, and Leshoure at #33. I'd then trade #56 for a 2012 2nd rounder.  I know that right now there's this knee-jerk reaction towards going OL early, but honestly, although I consider it a need, I'm just not overly impressed with this year's crop and would rather go OL for 2012.  For this year's draft, I'd go OG somewhere in round 3-4.
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE] The Patriots are going to fool everyone and Sign Ray Edwards to play DE and Lamarr Woodley to play OLB and Nnamdi Asomugha will be playing at LCB,and for their final offseason acquisition Sidney Rice will be the WR who makes all Patriots fans forget about Moss..Ok was that as good as Mel's predictions or was it better?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : The Patriots are going to fool everyone and Sign Ray Edwards to play DE and Lamarr Woodley to play OLB and Nnamdi Asomugha will be playing at LCB,and for their final offseason acquisition Sidney Rice will be the WR who makes all Patriots fans forget about Moss..Ok was that as good as Mel's predictions or was it better?
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

We Wish.. I actually Think we are going to sign somebody good this offseason in free agency. I hope it's Woodley.
    I also think this is going to be a good draft year though. I believe it is 62 underclassmen coming out this year which is a record and should make the draft very deep. That's why I hope we keep our picks and use them. We have  money to spend no matter what the cap ends up being and there should be a more reasonable rookie salary structure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07, you  miss  murghkhor's  point.  The  PATS  haven't  won  a  SUPERBOWL  in  six  years.  PATS'  fans  have  been  living  on  past  glory.  BB  is  clearly  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  And  he  needs  to  change  the  draft  strategy,  on  occassion.  If  BB  had  the  TALENT  the  JETS, STEELERS  or  PACKERS  have, we'd  have  our  4th  SUPERBOWL WIN.  The  PATS  simply  don't  have  enough  TALENT.  Rather  than  continuing  to  accumulate  a  bunch  of  draft  choices, we  occassionally  need  to  draft  some  DIFFERENCE  MAKERS.  I'm  in  favor  of  using  our  17th, 28th  and  33rd  picks   rather  than  trading  down  this  year. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

Re: Mel KiperI agree 100%s Picks for the Pats in the first round

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07, you  miss  murghkhor's  point.  The  PATS  haven't  won  a  SUPERBOWL  in  six  years.  PATS'  fans  have  been  living  on  past  glory.  BB  is  clearly  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  And  he  needs  to  change  the  draft  strategy,  on  occassion.  If  BB  had  the  TALENT  the  JETS, STEELERS  or  PACKERS  have, we'd  have  our  4th  SUPERBOWL WIN.  The  PATS  simply  don't  have  enough  TALENT.  Rather  than  continuing  to  accumulate  a  bunch  of  draft  choices, we  occassionally  need  to  draft  some  DIFFERENCE  MAKERS.  I'm  in  favor  of  using  our  17th, 28th  and  33rd  picks   rather  than  trading  down  this  year. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : Yeah, shame on Bill, he should clearly change his draft philosophy.  All he has to show for it is a 126-50 regular season record (14-5 in the playoffs), 3 SB titles and 8 division titles.  They really aren't competitive enough (1 sub-9 win season; his first with NE while winning 10 or more games 9 of 11 years), so they should probably look for a coach/GM that can bring better continuity.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

PRICELESS!!!!Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I do think that DE OLB and OL are definitely need positions and I wouldn't be surprised to see a RB pick somewhere in there as well.  But, especially after the Jets game I think they do need to look at WR.  Whether its in FA or in the draft I feel that it is a position that should be addressed. Especially considering that the Patriots can exploit mismatches in a 2 TE set, having a legitimate WR on the outside would make the offense even more explosive.  That is what I think they felt they had with Moss, but for BB the headache was not worth his production.  Deion Branch is a nice complementary receiver,  but I would much rather just see him on 3 reciever sets with a bigger, more explosive receiver as the starter.
    All that said, I do think that they should and will use that first pick on a 3-4 DE unless Quinn is there.  Also I think Von Miller wouldn't be a terrible pick for someone who could get some pressure on the QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

[QUOTE]OL and DL should be the first things to be addressed. I'd really like the Watt pick, but something I've been considering for the past few weeks is Gabe Camini out of Wisconsin taking the RT spot while Vollmer moves to LT. Thanks for everything Light but the Pats need to move on. Castonzo out of BC looks also looks like a good pick for the OL and you know BB loves his BC guys.
    Posted by Prophet76[/QUOTE]Good Post.
    I'v been thinking about Camini or Castonzo at 28. Nick Kaczur will be back next year and I would put him back at guard (his college position) to go along with Mankins who really turned it up a notch when he came back(if they can resign him) Put Vollmer at LT. to protect Brady's blind side and put the rookie at RT.(either Camini or Cantazo) to develope. And of course Koppen at center. Thats one nasty A_s line For pass blocking and running!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : After much circumspection you basically have two of the players I have on the list MB. Pouncey (can he play center) and Watt. I see Fairley as essentially this year's Suh. I can't see him falling past #5. What to do with the 2nd ? Mel Kiper's hair.....still exhibiting tremendous upside........
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

JHr,
    Below is my most recent mock.

IMO, it’s filled with a lot of kids that hit what BB looks for in his players; tough, smart, physical, athletic and versatile etc., "Footbal Players".

***A wildcard could be Muhammad Wilkerson, the 6-5 305 DL (Declared) out of Temple, a virtual unknown to most, but a player that  has become a popular name on this thread and could be an option at some point in Rd 1 as teams are able to research him further.  He’s extremely strong and stout at the POA and looks like an ideal fit as a BB 3-4 DE in which he can occupy multiple blockers/gaps allowing their LB’s to make plays.  He’s also shown the ability to be disruptive behind the LOS with 9.5 sacks and 13.5 TFL on the season***

17 (Oak)-
      Cameron Jordan (6-4 287) DL Cal or JJ Watt (6-6 300) DL Wisconsin- Both are big tough, strong and disruptive kids that really get after it, are strong at the POA,  can split the double and are scheme diverse which is a huge value.  Both would represent a big upgrade to the NE DL and are potential impact players up front.

32 (Own)-  Mike Pouncey (6-5 309) C/OG Florida- BB continues to convert Foxboro into Gainesville North.  This kid has great size and strength, he’s versatile and can potentially start at all three interior OL positions.  He’s also a smart kid, has a ton of experience, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven against top competition.  Pittsburgh will be hard after this kid too, to pair up with his twin brother Maurkice who they drafted in Rd 1 of  2010 draft.  He’s worked out really well for them. 

33 (Car
    )-
    Mark Herzlich (6-4 247) LB BC- I think he’s more valuable to a team like NE that’s generally high on a player’s character.  He was generally regarded as a top 10 type talent before he got and beat cancer and should regain that form as his body continues to heal from treatment.  He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster and in your locker room.  I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp. 

64 (Own)-
     Randall Cobb (5-11 186) WR/RB/KR/PR/QB/DB Kentucky- You want versatile?  This kid could be the most versatile player in America.  He has the quickness, agility and suddenness that BB likes in his WR’s, is tough after the catch with big play ability which fits their offense and also gives them value as a RB/KR/PR and emergency CB, heck he had two tackles on D this year and has the SEC pedigree.  He was ultra productive with 144-1661-13 as a receiver, 228-1313-22 on running plays, 2 return TD’s and 5 passing TD’s in his career.  I think his stock will continue to rise, especially with Blackmon, Broyles and Floyd staying in school and you could eventually see him come off the board in the early portion of Rd 2 similar to Dexter McCluster who went 36th overall to KC last year.

74 (Min)-
    Robert Sands (6-5 220) S WVU-  Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler, reads, reacts and fills downhill quickly, versatile and can play down in the box or the deep half/third.  He could allow BB to get creative and utilize him in some sort of S/LB hybrid type role and could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary.

96 (Own)-
    Thomas Keiser (6-5 250) OLB Stanford- Has the size that BB looks for, new to the position after moving from DE when Stanford moved to the 3-4 but had a solid first year with 5.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL.  Smart kid and brings it on every down.  He does provide some scheme versatility if they run some 4-3 sub-packages as he was a 1stTeam Freshman All-American at DE in 2008 with 6 sacks and 7 TFL and followed that up with 8 sacks and 15 TFL in 2009.  I look forward to researching this kid further to get a better read on his first step and ability to operate in space/coverage.

-Or-

Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona- Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,  shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.   He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and Pac 10 pedigree.

98 (DEN)-
    Owen Marecic (6-0 243) FB/LB Stanford- He's one of my favorite players in this class, a true throwback that starts on both sides of the ball at Stanford.  Smart, rugged, versatile player that could contribute in a number of ways, which is just the kind of player BB has won championships with.  I saw him score on back to back plays against ND.  First on a FB dive, went back onto the field for the next defensive series and pick of the first pass, returning it for a TD.

-Or-

Bilal Powell (6-0 216) RB Louisville- He possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.  He also show the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and looks like a three down player, IMO.

160 (Own)-
    Derek Hall  (6-5 305) OT Stanford- Has adequate size for the position (similar to Matt Light), smart kid, was Honorable Mention All Pac-10 in 2010 and Scar could turn him into a starting caliber RT. 

183 (N.O.)-
    Greg McElroy (6-2 228) QB Alabama-  Time to acquire and develop  a replacement for Hoyer, who could be trade bait in the coming year or two.  McElroy is a smart kid, very accurate (70.9 comp % in 2010), manages the game well, makes few mistakes, looks to be a great fit for their short/intermediate passing scheme, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven in the SEC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : JHr, Below is my most recent mock.  IMO, it’s filled with a lot of kids that hit what BB looks for in his players; tough, smart, physical, athletic and versatile etc., "Footbal Players". ***A wildcard could be Muhammad Wilkerson, the 6-5 305 DL (Declared)  out of Temple, a virtual unknown to most, but a player that   has become a popular name on this thread and could be an option at some point in Rd 1 as teams are able to research him further.   He’s extremely strong and stout at the POA and looks like an ideal fit as a BB 3-4 DE in which he can occupy multiple blockers/gaps allowing their LB’s to make plays.   He’s also shown the ability to be disruptive behind the LOS with 9.5 sacks and 13.5 TFL on the season*** 17 (Oak)-   Cameron Jordan (6-4 287) DL Cal or JJ Watt (6-6 300) DL Wisconsin - Both are big tough, strong and disruptive kids that really get after it, are strong at the POA,   can split the double and are scheme diverse which is a huge value.   Both would represent a big upgrade to the NE DL and are potential impact players up front. 32 (Own)-   Mike Pouncey (6-5 309) C/OG Florida - BB continues to convert Foxboro into Gainesville North.   This kid has great size and strength, he’s versatile and can potentially start at all three interior OL positions.   He’s also a smart kid, has a ton of experience, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven against top competition.   Pittsburgh will be hard after this kid too, to pair up with his twin brother Maurkice who they drafted in Rd 1 of   2010 draft.   He’s worked out really well for them.   33 (Car )- Mark Herzlich (6-4 247) LB BC - I think he’s more valuable to a team like NE that’s generally high on a player’s character.   He was generally regarded as a top 10 type talent before he got and beat cancer and should regain that form as his body continues to heal from treatment.   He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster and in your locker room.   I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp.   64 (Own)-   Randall Cobb (5-11 186) WR/RB/KR/PR/QB/DB Kentucky - You want versatile?   This kid could be the most versatile player in America.   He has the quickness, agility and suddenness that BB likes in his WR’s, is tough after the catch with big play ability which fits their offense and also gives them value as a RB/KR/PR and emergency CB, heck he had two tackles on D this year and has the SEC pedigree.   He was ultra productive with 144-1661-13 as a receiver, 228-1313-22 on running plays, 2 return TD’s and 5 passing TD’s in his career.  I think his stock will continue to rise, especially with Blackmon, Broyles and Floyd staying in school and you could eventually see him come off the board in the early portion of Rd 2 similar to Dexter McCluster who went 36th overall to KC last year. 74 (Min)- Robert Sands (6-5 220) S WVU -   Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler, reads, reacts and fills downhill quickly, versatile and can play down in the box or the deep half/third.   He could allow BB to get creative and utilize him in some sort of S/LB hybrid type role and could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary. 96 (Own)- Thomas Keiser (6-5 250) OLB Stanford - Has the size that BB looks for, new to the position after moving from DE when Stanford moved to the 3-4 but had a solid first year with 5.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL.   Smart kid and brings it on every down.   He does provide some scheme versatility if they run some 4-3 sub-packages as he was a 1 st Team Freshman All-American at DE in 2008 with 6 sacks and 7 TFL and followed that up with 8 sacks and 15 TFL in 2009.   I look forward to researching this kid further to get a better read on his first step and ability to operate in space/coverage. -Or- Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona - Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,   shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.    He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and Pac 10 pedigree. 98 (DEN)- Owen Marecic (6-0 243) FB/LB Stanford - He's one of my favorite players in this class, a true throwback that starts on both sides of the ball at Stanford.   Smart, rugged, versatile player that could contribute in a number of ways, which is just the kind of player BB has won championships with.   I saw him score on back to back plays against ND.   First on a FB dive, went back onto the field for the next defensive series and pick of the first pass, returning it for a TD. -Or- Bilal Powell (6-0 216) RB Louisville - H e possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.   He also show the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and looks like a three down player, IMO. 160 (Own)- Derek Hall   (6-5 305) OT Stanford - Has adequate size for the position (similar to Matt Light), smart kid, was Honorable Mention All Pac-10 in 2010 and Scar could turn him into a starting caliber RT.   183 (N.O.)- Greg McElroy (6-2 228) QB Alabama -   Time to acquire and develop   a replacement for Hoyer, who could be trade bait in the coming year or two.   McElroy is a smart kid, very accurate (70.9 comp % in 2010), manages the game well, makes few mistakes, looks to be a great fit for their short/intermediate passing scheme, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven in the SEC.  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Good to see you back mbeaulieu; I need to look forward to the draft after that debacle on Sunday. The draft absolutely has to be supplemented with an aggressive free agency period this year. It kills me to think if we just had one guy in the front seven that scared teams (aside from Wilfork), we'd probably be playing the Steelers this weekend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mel Kipers Picks for the Pats in the first round : Good to see you back mbeaulieu; I need to look forward to the draft after that debacle on Sunday. The draft absolutely has to be supplemented with an aggressive free agency period this year. It kills me to think if we just had one guy in the front seven that scared teams (aside from Wilfork), we'd probably be playing the Steelers this weekend.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

mthurl,
    Don't be a stranger on the draft thread. 

Yeah, their DL wasn't really a strong unit to begin with and losing Wright, Brace and Pryor only made things worse.  They essentially had a 7th rounder (Deadrick) and an URFA (Love) starting and playing more snaps than they generally would have. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Here is my look at the draft, no specific players but just a position breakdown and process of elimination.

With Bodden Coming back, I think we are set at corner, we have a lot of safeties and Chung should improve, not a need. ILB is set with Mayo/Spikes/Guyton. We obviously do not need a QB and WR should not be a top priority. O-line all depends on Mankins and Light resigning. D-line and OLB's need to be addressed.

After watching Sanchez dropback and have all day in the pocket, I was going nuts.

I believe we go DE with pick 17. Watt would be ideal. I would also be very happy with Kerigan at OLB here as well.

At pick 28, we should draft the best pass rusher available or Mike Pouncey.

At 33, depending on who is available, I would hope BB goes with either an OLB/RB/OG/WR in that order based on the best player left at the position.

I want a stud DE and atleast 2 new OLBs ( so we have a better chance at picking a stud) to go along with offensive line help. If there is a great RB left at 33(which there should be) and we already addressed Dline/pass rusher, I would love to see BB get a premier rusher. If not, go Oline.

My question is, would BB be able to get Watt and then move up ( using pick number 28 and 33 ) to grab Kerigan? That would be Ideal IMO and it would improve the two areas with the biggest need on this team.

Sections
Shortcuts