Mental Mistakes and the Pats Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Mental Mistakes and the Pats Defense

It seems every time the Patriots defense struggles Dan Pees says the problems are correctable,and that they are caused by mental mistakes. I don't seem to recall so many "mental mistakes" in years gone bye. I understand their has been tremendous turnover on the defensive side of the ball over the past two years. Could it be our coach's style of defense is better suited for veteran squads who have spent years playing and watching other teams in action (instead of on film). I am not trying to critcize anyone in this post. I am just curious if those of you who know more about defensive football than me (most of you), believe that our system may be too complicated for all our young players. How easy can it be to "read and react" if you have never faced a Drew Brees, P Manning, Reggie Wayne or their equivalent in college. Should we play a more basic or aggressive style of defense so our young players worry more about making plays and less about making mistakes. The Chargers started blitzing more after the first few weeks of struggling. While their defense is still average at best it is at least getting sacks and turnovers now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Mental Mistakes and the Pats Defense

Then the Pats must have the most "mental" team in the league, given how badly these "mental" mistakes happen all too often!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Mental Mistakes and the Pats Defense:
    [QUOTE]     It seems every time the Patriots defense struggles Dan Pees says the problems are correctable,and that they are caused by mental mistakes. I don't seem to recall so many "mental mistakes" in years gone bye. I understand their has been tremendous turnover on the defensive side of the ball over the past two years. Could it be our coach's style of defense is better suited for veteran squads who have spent years playing and watching other teams in action (instead of on film). I am not trying to critcize anyone in this post. I am just curious if those of you who know more about defensive football than me (most of you), believe that our system may be too complicated for all our young players. How easy can it be to "read and react" if you have never faced a Drew Brees, P Manning, Reggie Wayne or their equivalent in college. Should we play a more basic or aggressive style of defense so our young players worry more about making plays and less about making mistakes. The Chargers started blitzing more after the first few weeks of struggling. While their defense is still average at best it is at least getting sacks and turnovers now.
    Posted by ccness[/QUOTE]
    Maybe switching to something simpler is a good idea for the short term.  BB knows when his system is executed correctly they can be dominating. 

I think they may have simplified it some, I seem to recall them switching 3-4, 4-3 during games and moving around more on the line. 

Overall, I think they are short on talent at the D line and OLB right now, and that's a big part of the problem too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

no pont in simplifying things.... they are gonna have to learn it by doing it and the d is experiencing growing pains. its a rebuilding year. i just wish we had ONE guy that could be counted on to consistingly apply pressure to the qb and protect the young secondary.it almost is like we have to wait until next year to be competitive because we cannot stop henne let alone a prolific passing offense minus an effective rusher.
    who knows what will happen though. the pats are a top ten team and anything can happen in the playoffs

Sections
Shortcuts