Meriweather gone!?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Meriweather gone!?!

We're not looking for anything spectacular at the position. For me, just finally having someone solid back there will be good enough. Nothing great but not a liability either. I can live with that considering the D-line we have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : Chung plays SS, Meri played FS. Chung can't play both spots, who's was better than Meri...at FS? 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Troy Brown has announced he is coming out of retirement and will be the starting free safety for the Pats on week 1!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Again, you don't make Pro Bowls is you are a "bust". You're just stupid for making that kind of a claim. Many GMs love his skill set.  They just knew BB was going to cut him so no one bit. His issue is he likes to freelance and roam and Cover 2 defenses are perfect for him. He'll be swopped up immediately. I wonder what BB has up his sleeve? 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

And "Pro Bowl" players don't get cut. Many GMs love his skill set, and yet NONE were willing to give anything for him. KNEW he was going to get cut? Really? When everyone was saying they wouldn't, after Sanders EVERYONE said they COULDN'T! Yet, now EVERYONE knew he was getting cut?

It's a merry day for those of us who've long disliked his play, and were disgusted by the cheap hit on Heap as many, MANY people defended him, the play, and his style.

He's a bum. It wasn't the cap hit like with Milloy in 03. He couldn't get it. Never tried to. Never wanted to. He, like a lot of fans around here actually thought he was deserving of those Pro Bowls selections...he never was.

Now, if only Tomase could lose both hands in a paper shredder accident, it would truly be a fine day for Pats fans worldwide.

GOODBYE BUM!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]We're not looking for anything spectacular at the position. For me, just finally having someone solid back there will be good enough. Nothing great but not a liability either. I can live with that considering the D-line we have.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

If he was not working with the scheme, he may well have been comprimising the whole D and putting others that were doing their job in a fix.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Meriweather is not a bust...what he is is an undisciplined punk who wore out his welcome here....they gave him every opportunity to succeed, and at times , he proved he had the ability to do the job...but not often enough, and not on a consistent basis...and none of us know what his attitude actually was in that locker room, but on the field, with his consistently being out of place and blowing up his own teamates as often as he did opposing players had to get old for Master Hoodie...even free agent DB's learn quickly how to take good pursuit and coverage angles and can also avoid swacking their own guys, especially in pursuit.....

Don't forget that shooting incident last year......at this point of his career he should know better than getting anywhere NEAR that sort of situation...the Pats have a history of filing that sort of thing in the FRONT of their minds when making decisions on players they feel have peeked. Trying to sign him would have been nothing but a huge headache, if, in fact, he wanted to come back...

And I also have no doubt that Master Hoodie has something planned for his spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Surprised at this.  If they were going to cut him, why wait so long?  If they were going to trade him, couldn't they have done something at draft time?  They then let Jarrad Page walk and cut Sanders. 

Either they like what they have or they expect a vet safety to be cut.  I can't understand Meriweather's release at this point in time, but there must be something happening behind the scenes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]With the release of Meriweather, none of the nine members of the 2007 draft class are still with the Patriots.  _-- OUCH
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

You mean the draft class where we took merriweather 1st then traded our next two picks for some scrubs named Wes Welker and Randy Moss?
     Yeah what a bad draft. We only took 2 picks in the first 4 rounds!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Anyway, Merriweather was not a bust but he certainly wasn't very consistent. I'm surprised by this because of the Sanders cut. I thought one would be gone but not both.

While I disagree with Tcal about the bust label, I have to give him props because he has consistently bashed Merriweather for as long as I can remember.

Usually whenever BB pulls a cut that surprises most people he already has the guy he likes...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

merriweather is not a bust at all, his style of play (freelancing) didnt fit bb's scheme. he will start with whoever claims him, but he is gone now so lets all just move on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]BAM! Called it!
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]

called it last year. it as overdue. still, should have traded him before now (ie last year).

smith pick was a waste i guess?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

If the guy got cut BB must feel he is a negative influence on the team in some way, shape or form. I'm neutral on Merriweather. I think he's a meathead but I didn't hate the guy. This does validate the feelings of some people here like T-Cal however. The bottom line right now with our lack of depth at safety is if BB cut him there have to be some serious issues with his ability to help the team.

I don't particularly care about the names on our roster anyway. I root for the Pats the same way no matter who's on the team. Now I just wish Merriweather all the worst because he doesn't play for us anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

guys.  they cut sanders to drive meri's value up before trading.  Sanders will be back

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]guys.  they cut sanders to drive meri's value up before trading.  Sanders will be back
    Posted by ssmilloy36[/QUOTE]

Didn't Sanders sign with the Falcons?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : If you had read Bedard's pieces so far in camp many other NFL execs said they like Meriweather.  And with him being the 2nd best FS In the NFL 2 years running, it's obvious he has a nice skill set.  I'd bet his head got a tad big after those Pro Bowl nods, though. As stated above by others and myself, he's really a better fit in a Cover 2 D which doesn't call for a lot of adjustments and structure with your Safety partner.

Wow , this post is 100% pure garbage! Seriously weak! You are out of your fukin mind if you think he was the 2 best FS the past 2 years. Stop making things up , even for you this is terrible. The only thing you can say about this guy is he made back to back pro bowls. That's it. When you actually breakdown his play he's nothing special ... at all. There's no debate about his tackling , decision making , coverage skills. He's very poor at all of them. This isn't something that just happened. Its been a long time coming with this kid. If his skill set is so good we would have traded him over the past two off-seasons. In fact if this had been a regular off-season maybe he would have been gone and we could have got something for him. We've debated this many times. I always contended there was no way someone would have given up a 3 or even 4. While others said he would be worth a 2. Finally BB settled that debate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Ridiculous cut in my opinion, the fact that butler is still on the roster with meriweather gone is stupid!! Butler's done nothing for this team while meriweather has actually produced from time to time. It's obvious BB didn't like the guy in the end if you were going for straight up performance there's no way he'd have been cut over Butler. It could also be the case that BB takes a CB over a safety and I feel this could be stemed from 2003-4 with the whole troy experience. Don't know if anyone agrees, i really didnt think he was that bad a player

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]Ridiculous cut in my opinion, the fact that butler is still on the roster with meriweather gone is stupid!! Butler's done nothing for this team while meriweather has actually produced from time to time. It's obvious BB didn't like the guy in the end if you were going for straight up performance there's no way he'd have been cut over Butler. It could also be the case that BB takes a CB over a safety and I feel this could be stemed from 2003-4 with the whole troy experience. Don't know if anyone agrees, i really didnt think he was that bad a player
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]

Every time we have this debate people like you never give any real reasons as to why you like him or what makes him good. I mean at least give actual reasons pointing out what makes him good? The guy can't tackle , makes terrible decisions , can't diagnosis plays and can't cover. What makes him good , the fact that he make 1 or 2 decent hits a year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]Ridiculous cut in my opinion, the fact that butler is still on the roster with meriweather gone is stupid!! Butler's done nothing for this team while meriweather has actually produced from time to time. It's obvious BB didn't like the guy in the end if you were going for straight up performance there's no way he'd have been cut over Butler. It could also be the case that BB takes a CB over a safety and I feel this could be stemed from 2003-4 with the whole troy experience. Don't know if anyone agrees, i really didnt think he was that bad a player

From time to time is exactly right. Unfortunately the other times he was out of position. He'd make a great play and then caught out of position and burned or called for a dumb penalty. He's had how many years to learn some discipline?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Are you calling the genius stoopid? Give me the list of stoopid moves on guys he has let go. Or is this his first stoopid move in that regard?

Maybe Butler just isn't very good, but Meriweather actually messes other components of the D up with his wild free lancing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

great cut - I hope we get Yeatman back though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I just wonder who will play in his place. Sergio Brown plays safety like a girl. But it's one of the easier positions to fill with someone who can play at least at an adequate level. I'm sure there are some guys who are going to be released who can fill the position. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : Well, then why wasn't another FS chosen as a reserve?   Did he pay off to get a nod to play in the Pro Bowl. He's a reserve which means he was the best back up available. This is why I think you are a troll or a geeky little goobery 16 year old dork playing with his Madden rosters. And I think you're the latter. You're a geek who never played sports. Meriweather isn't as good as Harrison so he was awful. Laughable. I'll trust BB to address why Meriweather isn't here, but he certainly wasn't a bust while here.  Can we get a kid's test for these boards?  This guy started on a 10+ team for 3 years with no pass rush and he's all of a sudden unable to play.  When I hear people make fun of Boston fans, I seriously think of people like you.  Johnny Come Lately, fresh pink hat, a dork, never played sports, etc. I never once praised this guy's play, but to seriously act like he was that bad is a joke. Killa will be under heavy attack if I am in here trying to quell the geeks who act like #31 ruined their seasons.

Your the biggest loser on this board by far! You just make things up , plain and simple. Your a joke. You live on this site day and night. Every day , from a.m to p.m. , you have no life. Your complete garbage and can't back up your argument ... at all. You offer absolutely no real argument in this debate. All you say is he was a pro bowler. That means chit nowadays. That's your whole fukin argument , he went to the pro bowl. You can't dispute the fact that he can't tackle , diagnosis plays , terrible decision making , bad angles and can't cover. You weak and come with garbage. You love to make things up , like im a dork , never played sports , never been to any Pats games and just became a fan in 07. All lies , because that's what your a lier. Your a sad old man that comes on boston.com because you have no life , no friends. Just a loser.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : Listen, geek: Do you really think you're above Belichick? What a freaking dork. People like you don't deserve to be a Boston fan right now.  Absolutely no way. What did you do, little fat dork, before 2001?

What a fukin fool you are lol. I live 5 min's and been to more games at the old garden than you can can't. I been to games been our QB was Grogan , Flutie and Bledsoe. I'd love to show you what i look like in person. Trust me you wouldn't be speaking to me like you are now , bet that. Im 6'4/220 with 7% body fat. I can pull over 370 and push over 315. Come see me bit ch , again only 5 min's away from the Garden. We all know your too much of a pu ss y to actually come to Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : Listen, geek: Do you really think you're above Belichick? What a freaking dork. People like you don't deserve to be a Boston fan right now.  Absolutely no way. What did you do, little fat dork, before 2001?

What a fukin loser you are. The highlight of your day is coming on here and arguing with jets-trolls. Ironic considering your the biggest homer-troll there is. You slurp and slurp BB and the Pats like they have never made a mistake. Please tell us again how only you and BB knew about us re-building. Tell us how you "called" the Chad Johnson trade. Your a little better than C.C. , your pure garbage. Now go and takeover a thread arguing with a jets-troll for 6 pages.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather gone!?! : No doubt. Some GM's love his speed and range.  And hitting. Cover 2 team would be ideal for how he plays. I bet his head got big after the Pro Bowls and now he is deemed uncoachable. Too bad. I can see him going off the rails now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

will the 'for the record... end'  its getting OLD