Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl

And now he'll probably play like an even bigger A hole.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from VAPATRIOT. Show VAPATRIOT's posts

Re: Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl

Congrats Brandon! Clearly your hard hitting aggressive play is respected around the league enough to honor you with this selection!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cammie. Show cammie's posts

Too bad all his hitting is usually on his own teammates!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl:
    Posted by e4smith

Uncalled for. Support your team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

I don't understand why people are so down on Meriweather?

He takes alot of chances, but he has some pics this season, as he does every season, and he's always around the ball. 

Name another free safety that would be a better pick?   Polamalu?   Name one more?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl:
    I don't understand why people are so down on Meriweather? He takes alot of chances, but he has some pics this season, as he does every season, and he's always around the ball.  Name another free safety that would be a better pick?   Polamalu?   Name one more?
    Posted by Ltown1

He is also remarkably consistent. He has been burnt deep just once. Heck. Polamalu was burnt a few times just in the NE/Pitt game. 

People are down on him because they didn't like the selection when he came out. I've never seen a Patriot who people twist facts about so often... and this from his own fanbase no less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Honestly. There is some pretty bad picks every year for the Pro Bowl. He is the worse pick of anyone this year. I thought is was  typo when I saw his name 
    Posted by tompenny

Why do you knock merri? The guy is a good safety!!!!! The Pats have flaws like any other team but for all you peeps that hate the SAFETY position...LOL. Meriweather is a good safety...who do you want to help out Chung? Merriweather and Chung are OUR COMBO.     GOOO PATS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl : He is also remarkably consistent. He has been burnt deep just once. Heck. Polamalu was burnt a few times just in the NE/Pitt game.  People are down on him because they didn't like the selection when he came out. I've never seen a Patriot who people twist facts about so often... and this from his own fanbase no less.
    Posted by zbellino

Look no further than Dennis Wideman, JD Drew, or Rasheed Wallace for recent bull's-eyes.  Merriweather is THAT guy who New England sports fans like to bully out of town. Its the classic poster child to deflect any negativity from the team into one player. Its a new form of homerism.  These types of fans don't dare dislike the team, because that is a sure sign of treason.  In this realm, some call that "trolls"  But to target one person on the team for certain plays or perceptions of selfishness, eases that worry to critique the team.

Classic signs?  Making fun of their personality, the way they look, how they speak.

Its really junior high tactics on a regional level.

Big Bang Clock= dumb black Miami player. 
    JD Drew= pretentious millionaire ballplayer from the south who doesn't try hard
    Rasheed= typical lazy NBA star

Sounds stupid because its true. Take a step back, pretend you aren't a Boston fan. It becomes clear as day.  When Merriweather is gone, trust me, another player will be on the radar to boot out of town. The second Lawrence "Laura" Maroney left town, Merriweather was #1 target.  Classic. Also exposed when Merriweather made the pro-bowl.  How can you pick on a guy you claim to be not good MAKING the all-star selection?!  Pathetic!

I hate fans like these.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Mike Felger is the leader of this band of bullyism by the way.   He thinks he sold Randy Moss down the river and that Minnesota and Tennessee suddenly started losing simply because he was there.

WRONG!

Both franchises were nose diving because of their QB controversy/pathetic play. He was brought in by both teams to HELP that controversy. Clearly he isnt that type of player but to consider him the cause of their demise is like saying those rescue workers in the towers are at fault for the collapse by not stopping the fires.  Its a gross misjustice to find guilt by proxy!!

Now he's on Merriweather because he talks funny and he's from the very black (excuse me, thuggery as he says) "U", he of Wisconsin white cheddar land.  Why people cant see thru his disgusting rants is beyond me.  Further, why do so many people like to gang up on a man being kicked?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl:
    Posted by e4smith
    lets stop with the no-respect, all the league hates us crapp. if brandon and mankins can make the pro bowl clearly there is a lot of love and respect for the pats out there, not to mention the fact that brady is the starter and we have 6 guys going!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

Chung has contributed MORE than Meritweather this season...even having missed a few games...I don't think Brandon is as bad as some ppl on here do, but I wouldn't have guessed he'd make the pro bowl this season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Time and time again Merriweather's horrible play is overlooked by the team winning.

Remeber him cleaning out McCourty on that 60 yard TD? The same game McCourty made big play after big play...until Merriweather ran into him. I've seen a play when he could have made a pick, but puts his head down and taked a B-line for the receiver. I also thought he hurt McCourty when he, again, came in like an idiot trying to hit ANYTHING. McCourty better get Ellis Burks on the phone so he can talk to someone else who is used to dealing with idiotic teammates running into them repeatedly. The guy is a liability, as soon as the Pats have a reasonable replacement, he is GONE. He's repeatedly been benched this year, and now that Page is finally healthy, you've noticed him out there a lot more, haven't you?

Wow, he made the Pro Bowl. Reed missed a lot of this season. Polamalu is hurt now. Bob Sanders is NEVER healthy...so who else is there? Finnegan? Punk, decent, not great. Leonard? He's ok, and also hurt. Anyone, rattle off some names of good safeties in the AFC? He gets on by default because:

A) He's from the U, where they are all loyal and ALWAYS vote one another in.

B) He plays for the Pats, and reaps the benefits of all the exposure.

C) He playes safety, and nearly all of his picks have been terrible throws, but they end up in the INT category all the same.

I seriously doubt that other players, amidst all the film study, practice, travel, games, family time, etc., I SERIOUSLY doubt players watch games like fans do, mostly becaus ethey PLAY on Sunday's! Do I think anyone on the Pats really has a good idea about whjo's playing well on KC, OAK, Houston? How could they? After burning 80 hours on football a week already, do you think they really go and review film on players to make an educated Pro Bowl selection? Ummm, no.

Oh, and Meriweather was doing his weekly interview this week, but didn't like the questioning of Chris Gasper (who I think is a clown, but works for PFW, which is owned by the Pats) so he hung up. He's unaccountable, thin skinned, and an idiot. He doesn't get it, and just like Maroney, I doubt he ever will.

Good, he made the Pro Bowl, maybe some dummy out there will actually give up a decent draft pick for him.

This is the guy who defended his hit FOR A WEEK on Heap before finally getting the message. Bone. Head.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Mike Felger is the leader of this band of bullyism by the way.   He thinks he sold Randy Moss down the river and that Minnesota and Tennessee suddenly started losing simply because he was there. WRONG! Both franchises were nose diving because of their QB controversy/pathetic play. He was brought in by both teams to HELP that controversy. Clearly he isnt that type of player but to consider him the cause of their demise is like saying those rescue workers in the towers are at fault for the collapse by not stopping the fires.  Its a gross misjustice to find guilt by proxy!! Now he's on Merriweather because he talks funny and he's from the very black (excuse me, thuggery as he says) "U", he of Wisconsin white cheddar land.  Why people cant see thru his disgusting rants is beyond me.  Further, why do so many people like to gang up on a man being kicked?  
    Posted by LatenightOwl

So you try to paint Felger as racist and ignorant while, you, yourself, being completely racist and ignorant! Impressive.

As far as Moss, both those teams were headed down, but can you really not see how much he added to the trouble in MIN? He's been quite in TEN, fine, but he helped blow it up in MIN too. It would have happened anyway, but not as dramatically.

And though Felger has been bashing Meriweather longer than anoyone...um, how about showing anything he's said that he's wrong about. Meriweather is a clown, he's been benched, he will be gone from this team, likely this offseason.

And Meriweather is not "down". He has defended his style of play all along. Only apologizing for the illegal, dangerous, flat out stupid hit on Heap a week later after getting his hefty fine, and I'm sure a little chat from BB. He hangs up during interviews when he doesn't like the questions. He feels entitled and like he's doing nothing wrong. It's not kicking a guy when he's down, it's trying to knock him down a few pegs from the lofty perch he's set himself on.

If you think Meriweather is a 'good' safety, you same people need to defend how Jack Tatum played. Their style is the same. Hit first, hurt second, make a football play third.

AND, Meriweather consistently takes the worst angles I've even seen. He must be a physical freak to get to the pros with such horrible fundamentals. Although, maybe he just needs laser eye surgery, but something is wrong with him. I don't understand how he's so off all the time. Drilling McCourty is the perfect example. A high, lofting pass that he misjudged? That's like an OFer tracking a lazy fly ball down the line and totally overrunnning it. Sure, it happens ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, and when it does, everone goes "wow, what the h e l l happened there?" It happenes every other play with this dummy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And finally, a published blurb about Meriweather's selection:

"The selection of Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather is being panned throughout the league, for good reason. He has been benched for parts of three games, and you can argue that at least Patrick Chung and James Sanders have played better for the Patriots at the position.

Asked for his opinion on Meriweather’s selection, the NFC general manager said, “I’d rather not. That should tell you enough.’’

It’s never been a question of talent for Meriweather, and he definitely has his fair share of good plays. But some of his reads are a step slow and on several occasions he has left teammates out to dry by not getting to plays he should."

I make no bones about flat out not liking him and wishing he was elsewhere, but it's not just fans around here, or local media types who don't like him. I fall back to my above stated reasons why he made the Pr Bowl. On field play was certainly not in anyone's top 3 when casting a vote for this clown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Say what you want about Meriweather, but he can do it all.  Pretty good in coverage, run support and he is physical, which some of you seem to think is a bad thing.  Ever since the Todd Heap play, he acknowledged his mistake and has tightened up his game while making some great hits that were also clean, which is what you want your safeties doing.   

Meriweather makes some bad plays, but so do all players.  Arrington has given up some big plays this year, more than a few, and no one harps on that because he's an undrafted, quiet guy who does his best.  Chung has given up some plays, both missed tackles and in coverage.  Sanders, McCourty, and others in the secondary have all given up their fair share of plays.  But no one really beats those guys up because you all know that no matter how good they are, they can't always cover a guy for 4-5 seconds or tackle a shifty guy in the open field and big plays are bound to happen. 

Maybe players that carry themselves differently get the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe Meriweather is a bit too demonstrative for some people.  But the guy has made some great plays this year.  Is he Pro Bowl material?  Someone thinks so, but it is a bit of a headscratcher.

As a few of you recognize, he is one of a number of Boston athletes that can't do anything right in the eyes of a significant number of sports fans due to some trait (cockiness, appearance, perceived lack of fire, etc.).  I can't understand why he is singled out on the Patriots.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Meriweather  simply  doesn't  deserve  to  be  a  Pro  Bowl  pick.  BB  has  benched  him  at  least  3x's  this  season.  He  hasn't  been  as  consistent  as  Chung  or  Sanders.  Some  PATS  fans  simply  have  difficulty  with  ANY  CRITICISM  of  any  PATS  player.  They  can't  handle  any  criticism  and  are  in  denial. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm a huge Meriweather fan, but I don't think he deserved it this year. Then I ran down the list of AFC FS. Ed Reed is in and he missed 6 games, The Jets Leonard is out with an injury and I can't think of any other AFC FS, maybe Eric Berry? Chung would've made it, but he plays SS and Polamalu beats him and they only selected one SS.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Don't ever let the FACTS get in the way of opinions.  Let's compare Meriweather vs Chung.

Meriweather  --  15 games  --  66 Tackles  --  1 Stuff  --  6 Passes Defended  --  3 Interceptions  =  0 Touchdowns

Chung  --  13 games  --  87 Tackles  --  4 Stuffs  --  8 Passes Defended  --  3 Interceptions  =  1 Touchdown

Chung ate his lunch!  This with playing 2 fewer games.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

This sort of proves how week the FS position is in the AFC and the idea that the Pro Bowl is a joke. 

I think Merriweather is a solid player who needs to improve more, but he's not really Pro Bowl caliber.

Mike Vrabel went to one Pro Bowl, for example.  Bruschi went to 2.

A little silly to see the discrepancy in logic with this thing. This is why when someone says so and so is great and "the best" because he went to more Pro Bowls, look no further than Revis this year.

I don't care who you are, Revis has not had a better year than McCourty. PERIOD.

He has not had a better year than Asamouga.  PERIOD.

McCourty and Asamouga should be starting. 

Also, Mankins should not be going.  I think that's a slap in the face to the system, where players come into camp, work hard, and play very well.

The system blows as does the game itself. If things line up, hopefully, no Patriots player plays in that thing.

Goodell s*cks. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl : Look no further than Dennis Wideman, JD Drew, or Rasheed Wallace for recent bull's-eyes.  Merriweather is THAT guy who New England sports fans like to bully out of town. Its the classic poster child to deflect any negativity from the team into one player. Its a new form of homerism.  These types of fans don't dare dislike the team, because that is a sure sign of treason.  In this realm, some call that "trolls"  But to target one person on the team for certain plays or perceptions of selfishness, eases that worry to critique the team. Classic signs?  Making fun of their personality, the way they look, how they speak. Its really junior high tactics on a regional level. Big Bang Clock= dumb black Miami player.  JD Drew= pretentious millionaire ballplayer from the south who doesn't try hard Rasheed= typical lazy NBA star Sounds stupid because its true. Take a step back, pretend you aren't a Boston fan. It becomes clear as day.  When Merriweather is gone, trust me, another player will be on the radar to boot out of town. The second Lawrence "Laura" Maroney left town, Merriweather was #1 target.  Classic. Also exposed when Merriweather made the pro-bowl.  How can you pick on a guy you claim to be not good MAKING the all-star selection?!  Pathetic! I hate fans like these.
    Posted by LatenightOwl

Or Mark Bellhorn. haha

Some of the bashing of those players you listed are deserved, some are not. And the reasons all pretty much vary.

With JD Drew, it's because he's a sally and is way overpaid.

With Sheed, it was his lazy/lackdaisical play.

With Dennis Wideman, it was a bad season of turnovers/trying to do too much and Bruins fans penchant for blaming someone to pretend that Jeremy Jacobs and his penny pinching GM and coaching hires aren't a problem.

How ironic is it that Wideman led the team in the postseason with points and the Bruins choke away a 3-0 series lead?

Just classic. Look no further than the front office really not building a team that is good enough.

I would agree Wideman had a poor year, but it's hard to find transition D Men in the NHL, especially good PP point men.

My theory is, Merriweather is not an immediate Rodney Harrison clone, so fans are up in arms acting like he stinks.  We've seen this kind of irrational, arrogant fan behavior before.

He doesn't stink. If you look around the league, he's actually an above average FS, is pretty good in coverage and will knock you out, which is a good thing to have down the middle.

What he lacks is cerebral, more methodical play. He needs to pick and choose his hitting better and be more consistent on angles.

But, he's a good player.  Anyone denying that here, is bordering on trolldom and might want to watch more of the NFL.

Not everyone can be a HOF caliber player.  In my mind, Harrison is a slam dunk HOFer, one of the best Safeties since Lott, along with Ed Reed and John Lynch.

If Polamalu keeps ascending, he can be listed in this class someday too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather made the Pro-Bowl : Look no further than Dennis Wideman, JD Drew, or Rasheed Wallace for recent bull's-eyes.  Merriweather is THAT guy who New England sports fans like to bully out of town. Its the classic poster child to deflect any negativity from the team into one player. Its a new form of homerism.  These types of fans don't dare dislike the team, because that is a sure sign of treason.  In this realm, some call that "trolls"  But to target one person on the team for certain plays or perceptions of selfishness, eases that worry to critique the team. Classic signs?  Making fun of their personality, the way they look, how they speak. Its really junior high tactics on a regional level. Big Bang Clock= dumb black Miami player.  JD Drew= pretentious millionaire ballplayer from the south who doesn't try hard Rasheed= typical lazy NBA star Sounds stupid because its true. Take a step back, pretend you aren't a Boston fan. It becomes clear as day.  When Merriweather is gone, trust me, another player will be on the radar to boot out of town. The second Lawrence "Laura" Maroney left town, Merriweather was #1 target.  Classic. Also exposed when Merriweather made the pro-bowl.  How can you pick on a guy you claim to be not good MAKING the all-star selection?!  Pathetic! I hate fans like these.
    Posted by LatenightOwl

Spot on analysis of a certain segment of Boston fandom, they do have to have a goat.  I think that they think that this kind a constant criticism gives them some kind a expertise credit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Time and time again Merriweather's horrible play is overlooked by the team winning. Remeber him cleaning out McCourty on that 60 yard TD? The same game McCourty made big play after big play...until Merriweather ran into him. I've seen a play when he could have made a pick, but puts his head down and taked a B-line for the receiver. I also thought he hurt McCourty when he, again, came in like an idiot trying to hit ANYTHING. McCourty better get Ellis Burks on the phone so he can talk to someone else who is used to dealing with idiotic teammates running into them repeatedly. The guy is a liability, as soon as the Pats have a reasonable replacement, he is GONE. He's repeatedly been benched this year, and now that Page is finally healthy, you've noticed him out there a lot more, haven't you? Wow, he made the Pro Bowl. Reed missed a lot of this season. Polamalu is hurt now. Bob Sanders is NEVER healthy...so who else is there? Finnegan? Punk, decent, not great. Leonard? He's ok, and also hurt. Anyone, rattle off some names of good safeties in the AFC? He gets on by default because: A) He's from the U, where they are all loyal and ALWAYS vote one another in. B) He plays for the Pats, and reaps the benefits of all the exposure. C) He playes safety, and nearly all of his picks have been terrible throws, but they end up in the INT category all the same. I seriously doubt that other players, amidst all the film study, practice, travel, games, family time, etc., I SERIOUSLY doubt players watch games like fans do, mostly becaus ethey PLAY on Sunday's! Do I think anyone on the Pats really has a good idea about whjo's playing well on KC, OAK, Houston? How could they? After burning 80 hours on football a week already, do you think they really go and review film on players to make an educated Pro Bowl selection? Ummm, no. Oh, and Meriweather was doing his weekly interview this week, but didn't like the questioning of Chris Gasper (who I think is a clown, but works for PFW, which is owned by the Pats) so he hung up. He's unaccountable, thin skinned, and an idiot. He doesn't get it, and just like Maroney, I doubt he ever will. Good, he made the Pro Bowl, maybe some dummy out there will actually give up a decent draft pick for him. This is the guy who defended his hit FOR A WEEK on Heap before finally getting the message. Bone. Head.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Funny that on the play where Merriweather knocked McCourty down, that you did not seem to notice that McCourty was beat on that play.  It doesn't excuse Merriweather's shallow angle, (he should have made the tackle), but your write up ignores the fact that McCourty, whom everyone, me included, loves, was beat on the play.  He was trailing the receiver and it looked to me that he wasn't going to catch up either.  However, along come Merriweather and he misses and knocks down McCourty.  Bad play?  Yes, but on the part of both DB's, not just the one everybody likes to lick on.  Next play please. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

I honestly could care less about him making the pro-bowl. My concern is that going to the pro-bowl last year went to his head. He thought he was Ed Reed all of the sudden and BB had to bench him.

Remember how out of position he was on that Ray Rice touchdown in the playoffs last year? I just don't want to see another situation like that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH LateNightOwl! AS SOON AS MARONEY WAS GONE, IT WAS NEXT MAN UP. How anyone can compare Meriweather to Maroney is beneath me. Sure, both are black, 5'11 and have dreads, but that's where the similarities end. Maroney was a BUM, Meriweather goes out and try. Sure he makes bad plays, but he also makes very good plays. 

Everyone makes him the scapegoat for the defensive woes, but his job is to play deep safety and prevent those 25+ yard plays. Guess what? We're in the top 5 when it comes to least amount of 25+ yardage plays. In other words, HE DOES HIS JOB! He needs to be better, but he does his job. 

Sections
Shortcuts