Meriweather to Bears

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

Meriweather to Bears

John Clayton

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Meriweather to Bears

I knew he wouldn't last long on the open market.  I just thought one of the AFC East teams like the Jets or Dolphins would snag him.  Even better, he left the conference and we already faced the NFC North last year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

In Response to Meriweather to Bears:
    [QUOTE]ClaytonESPN John Clayton The Bears helped themselves with the signing of former Pats safety Brandon Meriweather. He took a one-year deal 2 minutes ago
    Posted by SoxCsBruins[/QUOTE]

I wish him the best, but since Chicago runs a Cover 2 D, and since most of his mistakes came from blown coverage from bad angles taken within his deep half of the field, he may have a rough time of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Agreed, King.  I think he'll be better in Marinelli's system in Chicago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This just in......Space Station Astronauts reporting they can see Arron Rogers smile from space.  His house is actually brighter then North Korea.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Meriweather to Bears:
    [QUOTE]This just in......Space Station Astronauts reporting they can see Arron Rogers smile from space.  His house is actually brighter then North Korea.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

LOL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather to Bears : Cover 2 is very one dimensional and allows athletes to make plays. I disagree completely.  He'll do well in that system. That's why a lot of teams run that Cover 2. His freelancing put him bad spots here trying to make plays. He's a playmaker. He never really understood that you have to pick your spots here, where in a Cover 2, it's very much up to the player, not needing to have a chemistry with the SS as much. ROdney understood his role so well, we got spoiled.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Ditto

I said this on a different board a couple days ago:
    http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3afbb75745-a66b-4c34-a552-4de0409615d1&plckCurrentPage=2

And I think he'll have a big year being free to roam

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Cover 2 should suit Merriweather very well. I believe that Merriweathers issues with the Pats were not one of talent, but not having the capacity to fully grip the scheme and simply react, rather than having to think about it and then react, making him late, or completely miss on assigments.
    Lets recall, that when Merriweather plays well for the Bears, all of the arm chair coaches don't come out of the woodwoek saying why did we get rid of that guy.
    I am of the opinion, that today, with out further moves, the Pats defense is worse than it was yesterday with this move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Meriweather to Bears:
    [QUOTE]ClaytonESPN John Clayton The Bears helped themselves with the signing of former Pats safety Brandon Meriweather. He took a one-year deal 2 minutes ago
    Posted by SoxCsBruins[/QUOTE]

Great news! I didn't want to see him land in the AFC East.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

So Brandon "U-Turn" Meriweather now calls the windy city home ...

Hallelujah !

Chicago has now added another rightful reject to their growing list of inept moves ( adding Cowboys castoffs Roy Williams and Marion Barber while trading away Olson and cutting Chester Taylor )

da Bears are now destined to go 5-11

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think Rex Ryan dropped the ball on this one. Very surprised the Jets didn't sign him.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

While I really thought he would be a Jet today it doesn't surprise me that he got picked up quick by a team.  I think he will do well in Chicago. I think this is a very good fit for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from june2010. Show june2010's posts

[QUOTE]They have 2 starters and play a more complex system than what Meriweather should be landing in. They also don't have much money under the cap.  Revis's bonuses coudl make his roster hit up to 25 million dollars, which has to be a concern for them.  Considering his play will likely allow hiim to hit those bonus thresholds, they have to act like his hit is 25 million now. Translation: they can't add anyone They just dealt Lowery to try to cut cost. Also, according to Rex, "we are loaded in the secondary". loll!! I mean the delusions are priceless. He watches his feeble QB struggle in practice everyday, so his secondary is "loaded"? Gee, we saw a secondary get lit up when Jim Leonhard went down in December last year, Strickland knows the system sure, but past those 3 top CBs, they are weak beyond belief. They have the two stable starting Safeties, but Meriweather wasn't going to start over them. Cover 2 is really where he should be and in Chicago, he is.

Ummm .... Pats loss to Jets in playoffs because of DB's, Lowery is the equalivent of Meriweather, he also seemed loss in the Jets system.

Although I hate to say it, the Jets are loaded at DBs, its true. Very much like BB system, rex's system is a thinking man's defense.

just food for thought

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I disagree with the basic premise by Clayton that the Bears "helped themselves".

I don't expect him to last in CHI.

With BM the system doesn't really matter, although his deficiencies may be better hidden there.

But his inability to tackle or take proper angles, let alone rotate in coverage are ill-suited to the Safety position and the NFL in general.

I say he is somewhere else next year.  He's such a catch he got a 1-year deal.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather to Bears : Ummm .... Pats loss to Jets in playoffs because of DB's, Lowery is the equalivent of Meriweather, he also seemed loss in the Jets system. Although I hate to say it, the Jets are loaded at DBs, its true. Very much like BB system, rex's system is a thinking man's defense. just food for thought
    Posted by june2010[/QUOTE]

It sure seemed like they had a fantastic crew of defensive backs and safties in the playoffs and that was without Leonard.  I just don't get how the Yets can trade a backup and get something for him and we can't get a dime for Meriweather.  The guy was a probowler.  You don't just get there by accident.  It's not a popularity contest.  With all those guys we've brought in, it seems like we have not done much to improve that secondary.  If I recall, they were lit up by some subpar QBs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from june2010. Show june2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather to Bears : Lowery was NY's starting nickel and first option to replace Revis or Cromartie, if either wre injured. Strickland is cheaper, hence the move. They also lost Drew Coleman to Jax. Spin it how you want, Jets fan, but NY has cap issues hence their questionable depth across the roster. Pats lost to the Jets because of Brady's INT after steamrolling down the field and a Crumpler Td drop, not to mention that forcing the Chung fake punt and subsequent turnover. The gameplan was well done and NY's only hope to try to win, so it worked out well, minimizing points. But, we've been done this road before NE wildly turned it over on offense/STs and didn't execute on an easy TD with Crumpler burning the Jets secondary.

Big mistake, in this year where continuity is important, trading Meriweather is going to catch up. No one they bring in is going to know the system, and very much like Ocho, will have a hard time in BB's thinking man system.

why are you so hostile?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

Last I saw, the Jets had about the same cap space as we do, somewhere around 10 million.  That was before our recent signings. I thought bonus money was spread out over a contract... why would that be an issue if they were 10 million under? 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

I don't recall a team that had such a horrible passing defense suddenly making the jump up to a top 5 defense.  What we saw in preseason was an improved pass rush. How could it not improve from last year?  I just don't put much stock into what happens in the preseason at all.   It is usually the passing game and offensive lines that are the last to come together.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meriweather to Bears : It sure seemed like they had a fantastic crew of defensive backs and safties in the playoffs and that was without Leonard.  I just don't get how the Yets can trade a backup and get something for him and we can't get a dime for Meriweather.  The guy was a probowler.  You don't just get there by accident.  It's not a popularity contest.  With all those guys we've brought in, it seems like we have not done much to improve that secondary.  If I recall, they were lit up by some subpar QBs.
    Posted by rayclay[/QUOTE]

Actually the Pro Bowl IS a popularity contest.  How else do you explain Brett Favre making the 2008 AFC Pro Bowl his one year with the Jets throwing 22 TDs and 22 INTs while Chad Pennington completed 67% of his passes, threw 19 TDs to 7 INTs and he didn't make the Pro Bowl.  Hell, even Matt Cassel had 21 TDs and 11 INTs and completed 63% of his passes and didn't make it when he filled in for Brady that year.

Sections
Shortcuts