Merriman comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Merriman comments

In the wake of a horrid loss in Pittsburgh, leaving the 2-2 Chargers two games behind the Denver Broncos in the AFC West, rumor has it that major changes are in the offing for the Bolts. Chargers GM A.J. Smith recently criticized his team, calling their play "soft and bewildered".

Apparently, Shawne Merriman has taken strong objection to Smiths' comments. Has Merriman talked his way out of San Diego?: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4540863   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Merriman Soon To Be Traded?

i think that the major changes comment is more of a threat to the coaching staff. meanwhile, i think he's about two years too late on that one. that coaching staff has totally squandered that team. they had so much talent but now their top players are breaking down and they have lost a lot of their depth.
    once again, thank god for BB! you can list all the 2nd and 3rd round busts you want....meanwhile we still win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't want him on the Patriots, but if Belichick thought he could make it work, who am I to object?  He might be had for cents on the dollar if his knee is still not fully recovered and he's bashing heads with management.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman Soon To Be Traded?:
    [QUOTE]i think that the major changes comment is more of a threat to the coaching staff. meanwhile, i think he's about two years too late on that one. that coaching staff has totally squandered that team. they had so much talent but now their top players are breaking down and they have lost a lot of their depth. once again, thank god for BB! you can list all the 2nd and 3rd round busts you want....meanwhile we still win.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the promise of changes is a hollow threat, Artie. Smiith is really steamed at what he termed his teams' "soft play": http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/07/smith-steamed-soft-play/ 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Cowboys, Redskins, and Eagles would all be interested in Merriman.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want him on the Patriots, but if Belichick thought he could make it work, who am I to object?  He might be had for cents on the dollar if his knee is still not fully recovered and he's bashing heads with management.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Nick:

I doubt that the Chargers would trade him to the Pats, assuming that BB wanted him. They'll likely trade him to an NFC team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I can't believe that they won't switch coaches.  They've squandered years of talent on Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner, two of the worst playoff coaches in the history of the NFL.

With Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, and Gruden all available, I can't believe that San Diego isn't mentioned as a potential landing spot despite underperforming for the past 5 years.  This team should have won a Super Bowl at some point with the talent they have.  I don't think it's the players that have developed the culture of playing "soft."

And good point - I think if they traded Merriman to the Pats, it would be a definite sign that they've gone into a rebuilding phase.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

AJ Smith should be on the hot seat.  He made the move to can Marty and replace him with the mediocre Norv Turner.  Marty never won anything but the player's liked him and we was more of a disciplinarian.  Smith has drafted well, but coaching decisions are also in the GM's domain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

"The only opinions that matter to me are the ones in this locker room. Anything else, it doesn't matter," he said.

Not very smart to publicly say that the General Managers opinion doesn't matter. He almost has to do something to show he's in control or the owner will deep six him!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe that they won't switch coaches.  They've squandered years of talent on Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner, two of the worst playoff coaches in the history of the NFL. With Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, and Gruden all available, I can't believe that San Diego isn't mentioned as a potential landing spot despite underperforming for the past 5 years.  This team should have won a Super Bowl at some point with the talent they have.

RESPONSE: You're being too hard on Marty. His teams were usually tough, hardnosed, and disciplined...all three traits of which the current Chargers are lacking. If you look at two of Marty's playoff losses in particular...the loss to John Elway on "The Drive", and the loss to the Pats in 2006...two critical fumbles did him in. If it weren't for those fumbles, Shottenheimer would likely have gone to two SBs. The Bolts should have won it all in 2006.  Had they beaten the Pats, they would have gone on to crush eventual SB champion Indy (don't they always?).
         But, because Smith and Marty didn't get along, they replaced Marty with Norv. Though Norv has done a good job mentoring Philip Rivers, the guy doesn't have the force of personality to drive men to their best efforts. 
         Norv must go. But, Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan probably won't be hired. Both will want complete control...something that Smith will  not cede to them.      

I don't think it's the players that have developed the culture of playing "soft." And good point - I think if they traded Merriman to the Pats, it would be a definite sign that they've gone into a rebuilding phase.

RESPONSE: The Bolts have too much talent rebuild completely. What they need to do is build their team aaround Philip Rivers, and: jettison malcontents Merriman and Tomlinson...find a NT to replace or at least spell the old and oft injured Jamaal Williams...rebuild their OL...find an every down type RB to replaace LT who can compliment, and spell third down RB Darren Sproles...and find a no nonsense head coach that commands respect.  
        That said, the Bolts won't trade Merriman to NE because the Pats are a contender...something the Bolts still see themselves as.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]i think that the major changes comment is more of a threat to the coaching staff. meanwhile, i think he's about two years too late on that one. that coaching staff has totally squandered that team. they had so much talent but now their top players are breaking down and they have lost a lot of their depth. once again, thank god for BB! you can list all the 2nd and 3rd round busts you want....meanwhile we still win.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]
    You are wrong, until this season ends, it's players only. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Chances are he will not land in the AFC, especially to an AFC contender. Having said that would you really want him on the Pats roster? He is a pure edge rusher, yes something we lack, but he does not do well dropping into coverage and is so-so against the run. So we would overpay for another situational pass rusher. (ie. Derrick Burgess anyone) Also, he would do that stupid Lights Out dance all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J109. Show J109's posts

[QUOTE]Chances are he will not land in the AFC, especially to an AFC contender. Having said that would you really want him on the Pats roster? He is a pure edge rusher, yes something we lack, but he does not do well dropping into coverage and is so-so against the run. So we would overpay for another situational pass rusher. (ie. Derrick Burgess anyone) Also, he would do that stupid Lights Out dance all the time.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

Plus he hates the Patriots

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Merriman Soon To Be Traded?:
    [QUOTE]     In the wake of a horrid loss in Pittsburgh, leaving the 2-2 Chargers two games behind the Denver Broncos in the AFC West, rumor has it that major changes are in the offing for the Bolts. Chargers GM A.J. Smith recently criticized his team, calling their play "soft and bewildered".      Apparently, Shawne Merriman has taken strong objection to Smiths' comments. Has Merriman talked his way out of San Diego?: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4540863    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Tex:
    You could just read my take instead.  

With the 1st & 2nd string NT out for the year, that has to be addressed now. Nwagbuo & Boone - brought in off the street after game 1- are not the answer.
     What I would do:
    The Bolts offense can score with anybody. We have two backup receivers [Malcolm Floyd & Legadu Naanee] who could start on most teams. Package up Floyd or Naanee or under achieving Chris Chambers and a draft pick to  JAX for John Henderson or Marcus Stroud from Buffalo. Both BUF [with a TO problem] and JAX [need a wideout], this would benefit both teams involved. Something has to be done right away, to be sure. Or they could ship Merriman off to DET if Smith gets his way. Merriman in his last year, is gone for sure IMO. Probably end up in Oakland  as a free agent. He wants fame so big market teams NY& DAL come to mind. With a serviceable NT this is resolved.
    This is AJ Smith for not being prepared if the dominate NT went down. passing the buck IMO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe that they won't switch coaches.  They've squandered years of talent on Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner, two of the worst playoff coaches in the history of the NFL. With Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, and Gruden all available, I can't believe that San Diego isn't mentioned as a potential landing spot despite underperforming for the past 5 years.  This team should have won a Super Bowl at some point with the talent they have.  I don't think it's the players that have developed the culture of playing "soft." And good point - I think if they traded Merriman to the Pats, it would be a definite sign that they've gone into a rebuilding phase.
    mid season change will not happen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]AJ Smith should be on the hot seat.  He made the move to can Marty and replace him with the mediocre Norv Turner.  Marty never won anything but the player's liked him and we was more of a disciplinarian.  Smith has drafted well, but coaching decisions are also in the GM's domain.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

Bingo, move to the front off the class. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]"The only opinions that matter to me are the ones in this locker room. Anything else, it doesn't matter," he said. Not very smart to publicly say that the General Managers opinion doesn't matter. He almost has to do something to show he's in control or the owner will deep six him!
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

With the comment right there, he's gone, for sure. The question is when. The only thing stopping it would be AJ getting fired first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

They already drafted Merrimans replacement so he is a goner. So the questin is do they let him walk or do they get something for him. But He has not been his old self this year so i dont think they would get what they expect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]"The only opinions that matter to me are the ones in this locker room. Anything else, it doesn't matter," he said. Not very smart to publicly say that the General Managers opinion doesn't matter. He almost has to do something to show he's in control or the owner will deep six him!
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Merriman's never been mistaken for a Rhodes scholar.

Wouldn't want to see him here if he played for free.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

DT Shaun Rogers from CLEVELAND

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

How is Merriman's knee. I haven't really watched any Chargers games this year yet, except for the Monday nighter, where I had it muted and was peering over the old lady's head from the dinner table. But, I haven't really heard his name much on the higlights or anything. Is he a shell of his former self or what? I agree they drafted his replacement and he could be shuffled out because of it. As for the guy who agreed with my post earlier and said plus he hates the Pats, I don't think that matters as long as he is getting paid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Well maybe you can hire Wade Phillips to replace Norv when they both get fired.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OllieK08. Show OllieK08's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman Soon To Be Traded? : Plus he hates the Patriots
    Posted by J109

If he gets canned by Smith he would hate the Chargers more than the
    Pats.
    But I agree: the lights out dance at Gilette  - please spare me...

But whatever bill says. now go and sign junior please.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

How is Merriman's knee. I haven't really watched any Chargers games this year yet, except for the Monday nighter, where I had it muted and was peering over the old lady's head from the dinner table. But, I haven't really heard his name much on the higlights or anything. Is he a shell of his former self or what? I agree they drafted his replacement and he could be shuffled out because of it. As for the guy who agreed with my post earlier and said plus he hates the Pats, I don't think that matters as long as he is getting paid.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

all you need to know is 0 sacks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zigmundo. Show zigmundo's posts

There is no room for 2 dancers on the Patriots and Maroney is our tap dancer.