Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego?

Not until the Chargers drop their ridiculous demands for a #1 draft choice in return. Furthermore, any team trading for Merriman would have to sign him...and he's seeking a long term, lucrative deal.

The guy is a headache, and hasn't been the same player since he's gotten off the juice. Factor in a serious knee injury...and he hardly seems to be worth the effort, let alone the cost: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/12/new-agent-quicker-exit-for-bolts-merriman/ 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego?

if we can sign him for a 1yr- 1.3m( or w.e holt is geting paid) it wouldnt be all bad honestly, but i think he would play worse here on the account he hates the pats LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego?:
    if we can sign him for a 1yr- 1.3m( or w.e holt is geting paid) it wouldnt be all bad honestly, but i think he would play worse here on the account he hates the pats LOL
    Posted by TateGroup

No way he'll sign for such a pittance. He's looking for a lucrative, long term deal...and some team will be desperate/stupid enough to give it to him (The Jets??).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego? :      No way he'll sign for such a pittance. He's looking for a lucrative, long term deal...and some team will be desperate/stupid enough to give it to him (The Jets??).
    Posted by TexasPat3

if he went to the jets him and LT would beat the crap out of shuan greene for when he did the "lights out" dance thing in the playoffs lol, that might be funny to see, he'll go to a no name team that has the money to pay of a no name big mouthed player, rams or raiders

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

I'd rather have Tila Tequila for 5 minutes then put her on waivers. Is that wrong?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Two words "No thanks".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the Chargers are trying to protect themselves again.

It would look really bad if they let him go for anything less than a second and then he dropped 15 sacks on the competition.

I am not ready to say he's done. He actually picked it up late last season, and typically knee work takes a couple seasons to return from.

Next season will tell the story of whether he was all roids or roids plus talent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I think the Chargers are trying to protect themselves again. It would look really bad if they let him go for anything less than a second and then he dropped 15 sacks on the competition. I am not ready to say he's done. He actually picked it up late last season, and typically knee work takes a couple seasons to return from. Next season will tell the story of whether he was all roids or roids plus talent.
    Posted by zbellino

They made a huge mistake holding on to Tomlinson too long. They may do  the same with Merriman. The old football axiom is, "better to get rid of an aging player a year too early, than a year too late".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego? :      They made a huge mistake holding on to Tomlinson too long. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

That is precisely what I was talking about. They held LT and let Turner walk. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's a better pass-rusher than anyone we have on our roster. I'll sign him if I was in-charge, but I'm not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iceman778. Show iceman778's posts

.... i think      some team will be desperate/stupid enough to give it to him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on the Merriman situation. Apparently, there were 3 different trades agreed to involving Merriman...but were busted because Merriman's agent, Tom Condon, was insisting on too much money. For this reason, Condon was fired: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/shawne-merriman-was-and-is-available-for-trade/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego?:
         Not until the Chargers drop their ridiculous demands for a #1 draft choice in return. Furthermore, any team trading for Merriman would have to sign him...and he's seeking a long term, lucrative deal.      The guy is a headache, and hasn't been the same player since he's gotten off the juice.Factor in a serious knee injury...and he hardly seems to be worth the effort, let alone the cost:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/12/new-agent-quicker-exit-for-bolts-merriman/  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Agree 100%. Since he tested positive his performance has slowly declined to the point where he can't even be a help to a team. This guy is a total waste unless you can get him to agree to go back on the roids and if he gets caught he is automatically cut and receives no compensation. You think they can work that into the new collective bargaining agreement for guys like that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Seems to me that the Chargers are a team that had such a great opportunity to put together some form of a dynastic era in terms of their talent and personell.  If they let Merriman go they don't have a replacement really.  If you ask me I don't think his head is in like before. He was a great commodity for them a few years ago - but now - asking for a 1st rounder for him??  NE could kick the tires I suppose - but he won't strike it rich$$ in Foxboro - but he could end up winning a SB hee hee hee!  Wouldn't be great if he taught the Pats that silly bird dance he did?!  

Not until the Chargers drop their ridiculous demands for a #1 draft choice in return. Furthermore, any team trading for Merriman would have to sign him...and he's seeking a long term, lucrative deal.      The guy is a headache, and hasn't been the same player since he's gotten off the juice. Factor in a serious knee injury...and he hardly seems to be worth the effort, let alone the cost:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/12/new-agent-quicker-exit-for-bolts-merriman/  
    Posted by TexasPat3

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Not until the Chargers drop their ridiculous demands for a #1 draft choice in return. Furthermore, any team trading for Merriman would have to sign him...and he's seeking a long term, lucrative deal.      The guy is a headache, and hasn't been the same player since he's gotten off the juice. Factor in a serious knee injury...and he hardly seems to be worth the effort, let alone the cost:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/12/new-agent-quicker-exit-for-bolts-merriman/  
    Posted by TexasPat3

sterriman, say hello the the new york jests, home of former charger has-beens, malcontents and whiners!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Merriman aint goin' anywhere this year. next yes, this one no

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Bolt...your Chargers can have Merriman. But, if they can find another team stupid enough to trade a first or second round draft choice for him, they should jump at it. The guy has been a very pedestrian player ever since he was forced to get off the juice. They stuck with LT too long...and now they're making the same mistake with Merriman. 

But, don't take my word for it. This from SI's Peter King:

"The one thing about player movement that has befuddled me all offseason is when I hear fans and some in the media wonder, "Why isn't anyone going after Shawne Merriman? He's a restricted free-agent, only 25, and the Chargers would let him go.''

The answers: He may not be what you think he is, the Chargers put a compensation level of first- and third-round picks for him early in the offseason, he wants too much money, and ... well, that would just about do it.

But let's stick with the facts, and the numbers. It's been since 2007 that Merriman was good. Why would anyone pay a premier number for him? Divvying up the first five years of his career: From 2005-07...Merriman played 42 games, registered 39.5 sacks, with 10 forced fumbles, and 15 passes defensed. But, from 2008-09, he's played 15 games, registered 4 sacks, with no forced fumbles or passes defensed.

Merriman won the NFL's defensive rookie of the year award in 2005, then was suspended for four games for using performance-enhancing drugs in 2006, and then had another strong year in 2007. In 2008, he went against the wishes of the Chargers and eschewed knee surgery early in the offseason; he played one game, then had to have the same surgery the Chargers wanted him to have months earlier, a bad decision that led to him playing in only one game in 2008. Last year, he was a run-of-the-mill rusher, almost totally without impact.

So I ask: Why would any team pay significant compensation and give him the kind of contract he feels he deserves? Merriman turns 26 this month. If I were him (unless he knows he's washed up and just wants to get some guaranteed money before he goes on to his next career), I'd play for the one-year contract this year, stop trying to get a rich deal elsewhere that won't come, and prove again I'm a premier player".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego? : Who are you going to sit? Mayo, Spikes, McKenzie? Is Merriman a big upgrade over those guys? I would prefer a DL if we are going to spend the money.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

Merriman is an OLB, so I don't think those guys would have to worry about their jobs. Plus, I noticed you had Spikes and McKenzie at the starting position next to Mayo, but no sign of the two year Belichick veteran Guyton. It's Guyton's job to lose, if he learns how to shed a block he would win the starting position over those two.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Merriman has some gamem left but personally I hope we stay clear.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Merriman On His Way Out of San Diego? : Who are you going to sit? Mayo, Spikes, McKenzie? Is Merriman a big upgrade over those guys? I would prefer a DL if we are going to spend the money.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

Where did you get the idea that I'm campaigning for the Pats to trade for Merriman? I don't want to see that Joey Porter wanna-be in a Patriots' uniform.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

how can you get a # 1 for a guy who has Jello for ligaments.

he should have had the surgery last year now he may be done

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could Shawne Merriman's firing of his agent, Tom Condon, signal that Merriman wants to stay in San Diego, and is now ready to become more reasonable regarding his contract demands?: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/21/look-whos-talking-its-aj/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Chargers have other major contract decisions besides the one they must make on Merriman, as LT Marcus McNeill, and WRs Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd are all restricted free agents, who have yet to sign their respective one year contract tenders: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/23/deadline-looms-for-four-rfas/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I'd rather have Tila Tequila for 5 minutes then put her on waivers. Is that wrong?
    Posted by JimNotJimmy

You forgot that the 5 minutes leads to a 2 week course of anti-biotics.

Sections
Shortcuts