Message to Colts fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinjake1966. Show kevinjake1966's posts

Re: Message to Colts fans

In Response to Message to Colts fans:
    We all know that there are Colts fans on here so... Here goes: I am honestly sorry to hear that Manning will miss significant time. We in New England know what it is like to see your franchise QB go down before the season really begins. Hopefully he fully recovers and can come back to the feild sooner rather than later. Follow the Colts as though Manning is out there. I can honestly say that 2008 was a great year to be a Pats fan, and I truly hope 2011 is a great year to be a Colt.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

Classy post!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Just out of curiousity....Any previous examples of a QB having this kind of problem and returning to play?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I prefer the colts threads here. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I don't care for Peyton as a QB personally... but I do agree he is a tallented QB, one of the better ones. I could list why but that isn't my point here, I am sorry to hear of his injury/surgery. The league is better with him in it and the Brady Peyton match ups are always fun.  I also think it may have a huge impact on his career. You have to look no further then Steve Grogan and neck issues like this to see how. I pray for his health no matter his career. 
    Now on the business side of it I have said for a couple years Indy is stupid for not drafting one of 6 QB's that I felt could be developed into his replacement down the road... but if he is done or there is any question I would trade anything I had to to get Luck next year. I know it isn't short term the smartest way to do it but he is as close to an NFL ready qb out of college as there is.
    Kerry Collins should keep you in the hunt simmilar to what Cassel did for us but to expect more then a 10-6 wild card I think is a stretch now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

blade - back up QB's on teams with very successful QB's (manning, brady) generally don't and shouldn't make the team as good as they were with that great QB. 

Brady and Manning are hall of fame QB's.  One should never expect a back up to be a hall of famer as well. 

Suggesting that the colts were short sighted by not drafting a potentially great QB but having picked up Collins (who may not be great but is surely capable) is ridiculous. 

The pats didn't know Brady was going to be great with the 6th rd pick.  do they think Hoyer is going to be great having picked him up as a udfa?  What about O'connell - He was a 3rd rdr and is already out of the league.  The expectations for him must have been SKY HIGH.  There is just no logic to this argument. 

The colts have drafted QB's and brought in others throughout manning's tenure.  None of them have been necessary until now.  Why is it that pats fans think the colts should have drafted a QB highly in order to survive this issue in likely no better way than they will with Collins, but it is ok for the pats to play a 6th rdr, and keep a udfa QB while dumping a 3rd rounder. 

There simply is no logic to this argument.  Its fandom speaking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Message to Colts fans:
    We all know that there are Colts fans on here so... Here goes: I am honestly sorry to hear that Manning will miss significant time. We in New England know what it is like to see your franchise QB go down before the season really begins. Hopefully he fully recovers and can come back to the feild sooner rather than later. Follow the Colts as though Manning is out there. I can honestly say that 2008 was a great year to be a Pats fan, and I truly hope 2011 is a great year to be a Colt.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

My sentiments exactly.  Dont know if will enjoy cuz no Cassel on the roster, but lets hope Kerry keeps them competitive

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Message to Colts fans:
    In Response to Re: Message to Colts fans : Actually, O'Connell was picked up by the legendary Jets organization. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

how's that working out for him?  Sorgi was picked up by the Giants. 

The point is that there is no logic to the argument that the colts have failed from a personnel perspective by not having an adequate back up for Manning.  They've put plenty of QB's through their paces and drafted a few.  That collins - as capable as any back up in the league - will now take the reigns means that the colts have done what they needed to and they done it within the time frame required to be prepared. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I will freely admit that it pains me to see Manning go down this way. He was the only guy with a legitimate shot to make Brett Favre disappear forever (outside of discussions of history's most prolific interception machines, of course) and I'm not ashamed to say that I was fervently rooting for him to do it. As for those pointing out that the Colts have painted (hee hee) themselves into a corner -- and no, dogg(gggg), Collins isn't any good -- it's all well and good to misremember what we all thought of Matt Cassell in 2008 . . .  and further, to credit him for things he didn't do that season. Although Cassell progressed to an acceptable degree, he was a train wreck early and the Pats won more in spite of him than because of him. I'm perfectly happy that Matt Cassell took advantage of his rare opportunity and turned his blind good fortune into a ton of money, but he's not a very good quarterback.

The good news in Indy is that they play in a patty-cake division and, despite what I like to call Arizona Cardinals Syndrome . . .  that is, clever pundits continually pretending you are much better than you really are . . .  I'll believe the Texans can make the playoffs when the last gun sounds and they're not mathematically eliminated. It's tough to watch your quarterback -- and one of the games top guns -- disappear before your very eyes, but if nothing else, we're going to find out what kind of fans they have in Indy this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

For me, Peyton Manning = Magic Johnson.

An All-Time great and a fierce rival and competitor.
    But the primary similarity being...as much as I tried...I couldn't really bring myself to dislike him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

I guess I will be the lone dissenter... football is football...  players get career ending injuries all day every day...and gomer is just another in a long list.... and  boston has had its share so I have no sympathy for the colts, the colts fans, or ud6... he didnt die and his career was winding down as we previously discussed though you denied it...(see troll)

...but I dont wish anything ill on gomer...besides he is already ugly enough... anyways...he set for the rest of his life...   go quietly gomer... because the comparison to brady was a farce and when we win a couple more Sb's it wont matter anyway...

now as for troll boy ud6...  just admit brady is better...the colts were gonna suck anyway and your a closet pats fan and you can stay!!!  Thats as gentle as its gonna get son!    if your not a pats fan your the enemy and will be treated accordingly!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I have to admit I do not like Manning....never have. Throwing your team mates under the bus thru the years instead of just taking some blame like a man made me think he's a spoiled sport.

I do however respect the he11 out of his ability and his over all skills. He is definitely going to be HOF even if he doesn't return to the field. He was an amazing player & competitor...and I will definitely miss the Brady vs Manning games....they were some of the best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

I agree with the sentiments here. Manning is one fierce Boston rival that I've always respected and never hated. I hate Polian, but Manning? No way. Great player. Good guy. Funny in his commercials and on SNL (he was way better than Brady on SNL, for sure). I hate Kobe. I hate A-Rod. I hate Matt Cook and Ulf Samuelsson. I still hate Bill Laimbeer like poison. But Manning I could never hate. It's a shame that this has happened, and I hope he can return to full health and play a few more years, at some point down the road.
    Posted by hardright
    I do enjoy when poster here refer to him as "Gomer"!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Manning going down is bad for all involved. I love our rivalry and that is winding down, this just robs us of a year. I would hope the Colts are better than the 3-13 all these experts are predicting? Manning is good but he does not walk on water, I don't think.
    Posted by Celtics1986

Are there really "experts" saying the Colts will be that bad? If  that's true, that sounds to me like the beginning of a set up to put them in the running to draft Andrew Luck. Manning is a great QB but he's just one member of the team. If people are saying they are likely division winners and possible SB contenders with him, how is it they could be that bad without him. No one man is that good. If they tank and end up going 3-13 or 2-14 in order to get a high pick that would stink. I sincerely hope that is not allowed to happen.

I'm sorry that this happened to Manning and I hope he comes back to play again. Let's face it, the rivalry between the Pats and Colts is mostly Brady vs Manning. Take one of them out of the mix and it's just not the same.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I will freely admit that it pains me to see Manning go down this way. He was the only guy with a legitimate shot to make Brett Favre disappear forever (outside of discussions of history's most prolific interception machines, of course) and I'm not ashamed to say that I was fervently rooting for him to do it. As for those pointing out that the Colts have painted (hee hee) themselves into a corner -- and no, dogg(gggg), Collins isn't any good -- it's all well and good to misremember what we all thought of Matt Cassell in 2008 . . .  and further, to credit him for things he didn't do that season. Although Cassell progressed to an acceptable degree, he was a train wreck early and the Pats won more in spite of him than because of him. I'm perfectly happy that Matt Cassell took advantage of his rare opportunity and turned his blind good fortune into a ton of money, but he's not a very good quarterback. The good news in Indy is that they play in a patty-cake division and, despite what I like to call Arizona Cardinals Syndrome . . .  that is, clever pundits continually pretending you are much better than you really are . . .  I'll believe the Texans can make the playoffs when the last gun sounds and they're not mathematically eliminated. It's tough to watch your quarterback -- and one of the games top guns -- disappear before your very eyes, but if nothing else, we're going to find out what kind of fans they have in Indy this year.
    Posted by p-mike

pmike - I am asking the question not completely on a rhetorical basis.  I am curious what people think of Collins.  He's nobody special, true, but what back up is?  What he is, is capable or capable enough to manage the team. 

Your comments basically fit my point.  What would you have the colts do?  Sure they could hope to draft and develop the best back up ever, but didn't they at least try that?  I am not sure Polian told Irsay "we need a back up - lets find the worst piece of sht we can find".  To which Irsay responded - "great thinking bill".
    Now, as for the patty cake division comment - I have demonstrated that these feelings are not entirely correct where the past is concerned although they are entirely correct this year and made moreso after Del Rio let Garrard go.  That said with 8 games vs. the AFC North and NFC South - I don't see an easy schedule for them this year (should beat the bengals).

Indy fans will be fine, but if we seem a little frazzled, think back a couple of years and how pats fans were then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I guess I will be the lone dissenter... football is football...  players get career ending injuries all day every day...and gomer is just another in a long list.... and  boston has had its share so I have no sympathy for the colts, the colts fans, or ud6... he didnt die and his career was winding down as we previously discussed though you denied it...(see troll) ...but I dont wish anything ill on gomer...besides he is already ugly enough... anyways...he set for the rest of his life...   go quietly gomer... because the comparison to brady was a farce and when we win a couple more Sb's it wont matter anyway... now as for troll boy ud6...  just admit brady is better...the colts were gonna suck anyway and your a closet pats fan and you can stay!!!  Thats as gentle as its gonna get son!    if your not a pats fan your the enemy and will be treated accordingly!
    Posted by jcour382

LOL - his career was winding down?  You mean the career that earned him the MVP the last 2 of 3 years and a playoff appearance despite injuries everywhere around him last year?  that career? 

You must be one of those guys who wakes up every day says "i am one day closer to my death".  You must be great at a party. 

As for admitting brady is better, can't do it.  don't believe it.  But - if manning never plays again and Brady dominates for 3-5 more years, that could change.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Again, we're getting back to that same positional deterioration discussion, dogg(gggg).

What are they supposed to do?

They're supposed to not let their team have to settle for whatever flotsam is left over when they look up one day and realize the guy they've been grooming as an insurance policy should be working at a car wash somewhere.

Unfortunately, they did let that happen and I guess Collins was the best of what was out there at the time. What are people saying about him? I have no idea. My guess is people are saying he's a capable journeyman who should be able to hold his own, but frankly, I hadn't seen anything out of him the last couple years in Tennessee to make me think retiring was a bad idea.

He couldn't possibly be worse than Curtiss Painter, but you should in no way consider that a ringing endorsement. The key difference between what happened with New England in 2008 and what happened to the Colts this year (aside from Brady's injury being completely out of the blue and the Colts knowing about Manning's condition) is that the Patriots stuck with their guy despite serious questions about his ability and ultimately got some return (little as it was) on their investment, whereas the Colts have essentially given up on Painter and, should the worst happen, find themselves in the same situation the Minnesota Vikings were in after last season.

Trust me when I tell you . . .   you don't want that.

Christian Ponder at #12?

Seriously?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Message to Colts fans : Not very good nor is it with their starting QB who has some really sketchy everyday passing stats and a weak QB ratingf after hiding behind a top 3 run game for 2 years. That's the exact point. It's hard to identify so you need to throw your line in different parts of the water, so to speak.  Not throwing a line in, means you aren't really taking it seriously and this is what I mean about Polian/INdy arrogance and this "we're fine" attitude with the uber-god, Gomer Manning. At some point, you have to have a plan. Another reason why BB is superior to Polian. The transition from college to the NFL is really hard for most QBs.  Most need 2 years to even get a feel for what it takes. Roethlisturd, Rivers and Rodgers come to mind here with this idea.  Even Gomer needed like 3 or 4 seasons to drop his INT rate, which was REALLY high early in his career. Indy had Sorgi who was weak and never got reps. He was fine until you realized he's not fine if something happened to Gomer. NE had Cassel whom they developed, who they liked based on progression, now have Hoyer who they are developing similarly, and an investment in a targeted Ryan Mallett choice. So, that's 3 targets for development behind Brady. They look for certain skill sets and sometimes they hit (Cassel, Hoyer and probably Mallett) and sometimes they don't (Rohan Davey, Kingsbury, O'Connell). You're being hammered here because you're not acknowledging Indy really trying to find a strong contingency plan. Painter blows. We knew that 2 years ago.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

matt cassell hadn't started a game since high school when he was thrust into that role.  Please don't try to sell this board that everyone knew Cassell to be some great back up at the time he had to play. 

Further read your own fan's take on Cassell who he said was awful his first few games.  Just give up that argument.  Its weak and it insults the board collective intelligence. 

The only backups that are known entities are those that have played effectively before.  That didn't apply to Cassell and it doesn't apply now to either Hoyer or Mallett. 

As for finding skill sets, I'd tell you the colts thought they had it in sorgi and they thought they had it in painter (who is apparently great in practice).  They've moved on from it and have about as capable a player in Collins as can be expected.  Anyone would consider him a solid back up. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Again, we're getting back to that same positional deterioration discussion, dogg(gggg). What are they supposed to do? They're supposed to not let their team have to settle for whatever flotsam is left over when they look up one day and realize the guy they've been grooming as an insurance policy should be working at a car wash somewhere. Unfortunately, they did let that happen and I guess Collins was the best of what was out there at the time. What are people saying about him? I have no idea. My guess is people are saying he's a capable journeyman who should be able to hold his own, but frankly, I hadn't seen anything out of him the last couple years in Tennessee to make me think retiring was a bad idea. He couldn't possibly be worse than Curtiss Painter, but you should in no way consider that a ringing endorsement. The key difference between what happened with New England in 2008 and what happened to the Colts this year (aside from Brady's injury being completely out of the blue and the Colts knowing about Manning's condition) is that the Patriots stuck with their guy despite serious questions about his ability and ultimately got some return (little as it was) on their investment, whereas the Colts have essentially given up on Painter and, should the worst happen, find themselves in the same situation the Minnesota Vikings were in after last season. Trust me when I tell you . . .   you don't want that. Christian Ponder at #12? Seriously?
    Posted by p-mike

I don't consider any alternative wonderful. 

And as I just told rusty, I don't think any coach knows whether or not a back up QB can handle the duty until they are truly required to find out, and that doesn't mean pre-season. 

Painter is apparently some kind of practice wonderboy that the team (only because of this preseason) has finally deemed incapable of handling actual game pressure.  You might ask "didn't the colts know this in 09 when they sat Manning".  No, because Painter played with all of the back ups.  Only this year has he gotten real reps with the #1's in game situations (even if preseason) and he didn't show well.  Welcome, Kerry Collins, to the club.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Manning finally reached Jeter land for me. I hated to face them both, but grew to respect both guys. And they both were all time great players on our main rivals.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts