Message to Josh McDanials

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

Message to Josh McDanials

As documented by a previous post Tom Brady's 4th quarter qbr rating is rather pathetic when trying to protect a lead, well I believe it's attributed to a lack offensive tempo.

When I watch the Patriot offense play up tempo they're very difficult to stop but when they are trying to protect the lead the offensive play calling and predictability becomes exactly that....predictable with zero pace or tempo.

While everyone is pointing a finger at the defense I believe much of the blame falls right at the feet of the offensive execution and play calling during the 4th quarter.

So Josh.....keep the temo UP when executing the offense in the 4th quarter regardless of the score.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Message to Josh McDanials

In response to jaxpat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As documented by a previous post Tom Brady's 4th quarter qbr rating is rather pathetic when trying to protect a lead, well I believe it's attributed to a lack offensive tempo.

When I watch the Patriot offense play up tempo they're very difficult to stop but when they are trying to protect the lead the offensive play calling and predictability becomes exactly that....predictable with zero pace or tempo.

While everyone is pointing a finger at the defense I believe much of the blame falls right at the feet of the offensive execution and play calling during the 4th quarter.

So Josh.....keep the temo UP when executing the offense in the 4th quarter regardless of the score.

[/QUOTE]

+1

totally agree. Take a page out of the 2007 season and run up the score.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jaxpat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not just a tempo thing, playcallign in genergal oftne trips us up. have been posting after games about this problem of josh's costing games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Josh McDaniels playcalling didn't cost the Pats the game.  This was a total team defeat.  Offense, defense, special teams all contributed to the loss.  All in all, I thought McDaniels didn't do a horrible job of playcalling.  As fans, we all reserve the right to second guess coaching but let's get a grip on this.  Brady committed 4 serious mistakes that hurt the team.  Solder, who had otherwise played well against a very tough opponent let Brady get badly hurried contributing to (not causing) one of the two intentional grounding calls.  The defensive secondary, particularly the safeties were inconsistent; yes inconsistent.  They were not horrible throughout the game but they did have bad lapses at precisely the wrong times.  Mesko didn't boom that final punt and the punt coverage was just plain horrid allowing Seattle to begin the winning drive near midfield.  The allegation that McDaniels 'cost the Pats the game' is entirely too simplistic in my view.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Josh McDaniels playcalling didn't cost the Pats the game.  This was a total team defeat.  Offense, defense, special teams all contributed to the loss.  All in all, I thought McDaniels didn't do a horrible job of playcalling.  As fans, we all reserve the right to second guess coaching but let's get a grip on this.  Brady committed 4 serious mistakes that hurt the team.  Solder, who had otherwise played well against a very tough opponent let Brady get badly hurried contributing to (not causing) one of the two intentional grounding calls.  The defensive secondary, particularly the safeties were inconsistent; yes inconsistent.  They were not horrible throughout the game but they did have bad lapses at precisely the wrong times.  Mesko didn't boom that final punt and the punt coverage was just plain horrid allowing Seattle to begin the winning drive near midfield.  The allegation that McDaniels 'cost the Pats the game' is entirely too simplistic in my view.

[/QUOTE]

His red zone play calling was horrendous. Out of 6 trips the only one we scored on was run, run, pass ( unexpected on the 1 ). Out of the other 5 trips he called two running plays which gained 3 and 5 yards. The rest were all passing plays. They resulted in 1 9 yard gain (which was 1 short after two incompletions) 2 for losses, one INT and one intentional grounding. The rest were incompletions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His red zone play calling was horrendous. Out of 6 trips the only one we scored on was run, run, pass ( unexpected on the 1 ). Out of the other 5 trips he called two running plays which gained 3 and 5 yards. The rest were all passing plays. They resulted in 1 9 yard gain (which was 1 short after two incompletions) 2 for losses, one INT and one intentional grounding. The rest were incompletions.

[/QUOTE]

Don't disagree with your assessment on the red zone playcalling in any way, shape or form.  My assessment was (and remains) that all in all he was not horrible.  And I also have to attribute some of the red zone failure to a combination of inexact play execution and just plain good Seattle D. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought McD's play calling should have resulted in a 40-17 score. The players did not properly execute the play calling. The o-line is tired and beaten up, limping to the bye week. TB made some bad decisions and bad throws.

I like the Pats chances with McD calling plays and TB executing them....I think this team continues to lead the league in scoring.

I have a problem when the offense is injured or having a bad day, the defense is not making the stops needed to win. Granted, the defense was beaten up, but the Seahawks took 56 snaps. WHere was Vince with the pressure? Wasnt this Cunningham's time to shine?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

When a play works it's a good call. When it doesn't work it's a bad call. Is it poor coaching or poor execution?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't disagree with your assessment on the red zone playcalling in any way, shape or form.  My assessment was (and remains) that all in all he was not horrible.  And I also have to attribute some of the red zone failure to a combination of inexact play execution and just plain good Seattle D. 

[/QUOTE]

I won't disagree with you but I'll never understand why the run/pass mix was all but abandoned in the red zone especially when it worked so well the first trip. It's not like nobody knows that passing inside the 15 is harder since everything is compressed and Seattle has big corners to cover our small receivers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When a play works it's a good call. When it doesn't work it's a bad call. Is it poor coaching or poor execution?

[/QUOTE]

Can't be a combination of both derpending on the play?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This nonsense about Brady and his late game performance has been already debunked.

First - IT'S ESPN'S QB RATING, NOT THE REAL ONE, that was pointed out. Nobody even knows outside of ESPN what the formula for that crap rating is.

Second: Looking at this season I noted:

"Arizona game, 5:42 left. Pats get ball on own 18.

Brady hits 8 of 10 passes for 84 yards and a TD to Gronk. That's a 135 passer rating. And that includes hitting on a 3rd and 12 after getting sacked on 2nd down.

Ravens game, 4:01 left. Pats ball on their 20.

They run Ridley on the drive 3 times. He gets 5 total yards for a 1.6 yard average on the drive. Thanks for NOTHING running game! Balance my ase.

Brady misses one, then hits Weler for 11. Ratbirds get called for a 15 yard penalty.

1st and 10 Baltimore 45. Ridley gets ONE yard! Brady gets sacked on 2nd down. He can't hit the pass on 3rd and 16. Pffft.

The running and blocking stank. Brady did okay considering he got zero help.

Seahawks 1:14 left, Pats 20 yard line.

Brady gets sacked on 2nd down. Can't connect on 3rd and 17. Hits Welker on 4th and 17 for 15 yards, just a tad short.

I have no idea what some of you expect from Brady. HE is the last person to be blaming in these situation. How about a decent run or two? How about some O-line play?

When Brady can't always pull off some sort of miracle when everybody around him is stinking the f'n place out, too many of you immediately point at him.

LEARN THE GAME"

Brady is the only one doing anything at the end of these games. They can't run, they cxan't block, they can't stop the other guys passing. Hell, they can't even kick.

To all who have these silly notions - your perception comes from your unrealistic expectation that Brady must somehow magically win the endgame while everybody else stands by and watches him. He is great, but needs at least decent play from the guys around him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Sure Babe. Tell me again why safeties don't matter. Or INTs, Or intentional groundings, or passes too high, or too low

You've paraded your ignoramce here so many times the people that put on the Macy's parade are jealous

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Getting back to the topic.

The Opnion

"So Josh.....keep the temo UP when executing the offense in the 4th quarter regardless of the score."

is spot on...

Not the only reason for the loss...but playing with a lead the offense becomes predictable, alot of things have to go wrong to leave 21 point on the field on O and allow 14 on defense...but we know they will work on execution. Will they change their philosophy on playcalling when ahead in in the red zone and late game play calling??

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Sure Babe. Tell me again why safeties don't matter. Or INTs, Or intentional groundings, or passes too high, or too low

You've paraded your ignoramce here so many times the people that put on the Macy's parade are jealous

[/QUOTE]

Get back to me when you find somebody who has taken better care of the football in the air than Brady for over a decade Rusty. LMAO@U

And get back to me when you can prove a safety is all about the QB. Learn the game.

Question: Why do you cry about bad calls against the D all the time, but never when they are on Brady, Rusty?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Explain then Rex why you agree with babe so much. Birds of a feather?

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Phillip Rivers!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Would you rather have him than Brady.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Get back to me when you find somebody who has taken better care of the football in the air than Brady for over a decade Rusty. LMAO@U

And get back to me when you can prove a safety is all about the QB. Learn the game.

Question: Why do you cry about bad calls against the D all the time, but never when they are on Brady, Rusty?

[/QUOTE]

Even the intentional grounding is not necessarily the QBs fault. If a sack is the alternative, what's the difference?  RE the pick in the endzone, didn't the pass go through Welkers hands?   Is that on Brady?

[/QUOTE]

Intentional grounding can happen for a lot of reasons. Like the receiver cutting the wrong way on their break.

Didn't see the Welker miss that led to an INT. Streaming had hung up. Grrr.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

They did not show the replay untill after a commercial break but if i remember the pass was a little high. Brady sometimes throws it way too hard on these short routes. Welker has good hands so he might have been screened by someone. He did have his hands up but the pass looked a little high (I never saw a slow mo replay of it and I wasn't in the mood to watch ESPN highlights later).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They did not show the replay untill after a commercial break but if i remember the pass was a little high. Brady sometimes throws it way too hard on these short routes. Welker has good hands so he might have been screened by someone. He did have his hands up but the pass looked a little high (I never saw a slow mo replay of it and I wasn't in the mood to watch ESPN highlights later).

[/QUOTE]

Brady throws hard sometimes because a defender short of the receiver may have a chance to pick it if the velocity lets him close to the ball. Same thing with a lot of his low throws. Just trying to minimize the pickoff chances. Of course if the ball does hit the receivers hands one expects they at least knock it down, not miss it entirely or deflect it up.

There's a reason Brady has the greatest compilation of passes sans interceptions in the history of the league.  He is 12th in career pass attempts and 83rd in career interceptions.

Sections
Shortcuts