Miami.........Good for Mallett outlook??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Miami.........Good for Mallett outlook??

Dolphins re-signed QB Matt Moore.

It's reportedly a two-year, $8 million deal. The move further dilutes the wafer-thin quarterback market, and indicates Moore wasn't expecting to draw serious interest as a starter. The deal makes Moore one of the league's better paid backups, and is proof of how much the Dolphins value his veteran presence behind franchise QB Ryan Tannehill. The "top" of the QB market now consists of Brian Hoyer (RFA), Chase Daniel, Jason Campbell and David Garrard. There's never been a worse time to need a quarterback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Miami.........Good for Mallett outlook??

More so Matt Flynn, but yes I think it helps. 

I always thought they could get their third round pick back if not get a 2nd round pick. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

get ready to be surprised then.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him (as they have reportedly been looking for a second for him, so they are looking to deal him) but I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't trade him (they won't trade him just to trade him unless they get value back in return). 

The Browns don't have a 2nd this year but would you swap 3rds get a 5th back and the Browns 1st next year for Mallett? I'd think that would be about fair value back in return and they can use that 5th to pick up a project QB to replace Mallett.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would assume that Casell and maybe Fitz will be free agents. Perhaps Kolb as well. Might also see Foles on the market.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Buffalo drafts a QB and cuts Fitz.

I dont think that Foles can run the type of offense Kelly is planning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I can't see them cutting Fitz even if they draft another QB. They would only save $500k if they cut Fitz. I could see more of a let them battle it out and if the rook is ready he'll take over type of situation. But, if that's the case Fitz wouldn't be cut until late in camp which doesn't help teams before the draft looking for a QB or right after who missed out getting a QB. Even Buf wouldn't be crazy enough to cut their QB before even having a replacement hoping one is there at #8

With Kolb, Ari would have 6mil in dead money if they cut him. There is zero chance they would want to take on that kind of dead money even if they sign Cassel. They've already gone to Kolb asking for a restructure but why would he? Kolb isn't going anywhere unless he's traded but right now Mallett's value might be higher then Kolbs given the contract difference

Foles though I can see hitting the market but is he really worth more then Mallett? You'd have to sign him to a better deal then the $500k Mallett gets though you wouldn't have to give up the pick. Mallett also has higher potential but less experience. All in all it might be a wash

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I can't see them cutting Fitz even if they draft another QB. They would only save $500k if they cut Fitz. I could see more of a let them battle it out and if the rook is ready he'll take over type of situation. But, if that's the case Fitz wouldn't be cut until late in camp which doesn't help teams before the draft looking for a QB or right after who missed out getting a QB. Even Buf wouldn't be crazy enough to cut their QB before even having a replacement hoping one is there at #8

With Kolb, Ari would have 6mil in dead money if they cut him. There is zero chance they would have that dead money even if they sign Cassel. They've already gone to Kolb asking for a restructure but why would he? Kolb isn't going anywhere unless he's traded but right now Mallett's value might be higher then Kolbs given the contract difference

Foles though I can see hitting the market but is he really worth more then Mallett? You'd have to sign him to a better deal then the $500k Mallett gets though you wouldn't have to give up the pick. Mallett also has higher potential but less experience. All in all it might be a wash

I think Fitz is done, new coach, new QB

I agree with Reiss. I dont see the market for Mallette with out a body of NFL work, other than a low round draft choice. If I am BB, I dont trade Mallette for a low rd draft choice...

Still wonder why BB didnt get Mallette more work during the season in some of those wins..

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray can be had in the second round for any team that is in love with tall, strong arm quarterbacks. I'd be phsyched if we could get a second rounder for Mallett, but I don't see a third round pick - who has done nothing in the NFL - bringing in a second round pick.

I wonder how much money Miami has tied into their quarterback position right now? 10 million? More? 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With Kolb, Ari would have 6mil in dead money if they cut him. There is zero chance they would have that dead money even if they sign Cassel. They've already gone to Kolb asking for a restructure but why would he? Kolb isn't going anywhere unless he's traded but right now Mallett's value might be higher then Kolbs given the contract difference

I think Fitz is done, new coach, new QB

I agree with Reiss. I dont see the market for Mallette with out a body of NFL work, other than a low round draft choice. If I am BB, I dont trade Mallette for a low rd draft choice...

Still wonder why BB didnt get Mallette more work during the season in some of those wins..

Fitz might be done but if they were to trade Mallett it would be either before or immediately after the draft so I just can't see them releasing Fitz before they know what they have, either drafting a QB early or even knowing what they have in a QB.

If it was a low round then I agree I'd keep Mallett around. No reason to give him up for anything less then a very early 3rd rounder (like top 10 in the 3rd) because they would have to spend at least as much to replace him. But, I don't agree with Reiss, I think he does have value even though he hasn't thrown in the league yet. I hate that logic because none of the QB's in the draft have either so why bother drafting them? Mallett had a 1st round grade and fell from off field concerns. That's a lot different then a QB drafted in the 3rd because of his talent level. That gives Mallett some value, the other thing that gives him value is his contract is next to nothing. It's less then a 2nd rounder even and certainly less then vets who have experience but are not good enough to win games (Moore). That value is massive because a team, like Jax for instance, could take a chance on him and if it doesn't work out they aren't stuck (like Ari with Kolb) or whoever drafts a QB in the 1st this year if they don't work out. If you actually look at the grades this year Mallett would be the #2 or #3 Qb in the draft. So a team in the early to mid 2nd who wants a QB could grab a QB who has been working with NFL playbooks and has a higher talent level then the other QBs on the board at a lower cost might be willing to take that chance. They are essentially take the same chance anyways with an untested QB out of college with a lower talent level and has never seen an NFL playbook before

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think there is one certainty going into this draft, BB will trade is 1st to gain more pks. I believe trading Mallet is something they will take a serious look at. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Bb won't trade mallet for a low pick, and Lombardi won't acquire mallet if it means mortgaging his fUture. He has a team to build. Best way to do that is Get your franchise QB and build around him. Lombardi thinks high of mallet, but how high?...doubtful it's a 1st. 2nd round would have been perfect, plus a 4th. My guess if it happens with Lombardi, its a 3rd this year and a second/third next Year.....that sounds about right for him . Not too steep and Lombardi gets his man...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Bb won't trade mallet for a low pick, and Lombardi won't acquire mallet if it means mortgaging his fUture. He has a team to build. Best way to do that is Get your franchise QB and build around him. Lombardi thinks high of mallet, but how high?...doubtful it's a 1st. 2nd round would have been perfect, plus a 4th. My guess if it happens with Lombardi, its a 3rd this year and a second/third next Year.....that sounds about right for him . Not too steep and Lombardi gets his man...

You know Clev's 3rd this year and a 2nd next year would be good enough for me. I would take that and run. You can get Mallett's replacement in Glennon (very similar QB with the same off field issues causing him to drop) with our 3rd pick and essentially be moving up in the 3rd and a 2nd next year. Well worth that value

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

You know Clev's 3rd this year and a 2nd next year would be good enough for me. I would take that and run. You can get Mallett's replacement in Glennon (very similar QB with the same off field issues causing him to drop) with our 3rd pick and essentially be moving up in the 3rd and a 2nd next year. Well worth that value

I would take a 2013 3rd and a 2014 2nd for Mallett too.  That 2014 2nd would likely be a top-10 pick in Round 2.  It is the Browns we're talking about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I would take a 2013 3rd and a 2014 2nd for Mallett too.  That 2014 2nd would likely be a top-10 pick in Round 2.  It is the Browns we're talking about.

I agree......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mallett works for peanuts and there isn't anybody else good that will work for peanuts this year.  He's worth more to BB now, as evidenced by the fact that no one was behind Mallett, than he's worth on the trading block to other teams, particularly because he has never started.  San Francisco has two hot quarterbacks now, but would you trade anything at all, sight unseen, for SF third string quarterback Scott Tolzien?  No stats on him.  I didn't even know the name before writing this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I just can't see how Mallett will draw much since he has little more than zilch of an NFL resume.  I'm certainly nobody's GM but I see Mallett going nowhere for now.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't know why people keep getting on Mallett for no NFL experience.

1. No QB in the draft has NFL experience yet I'm sure QB's will be drafted
    2. Mallett has only been in the pro's for 2 years so it's not like he's a career backup or old (cough Weeden cough)
    3. Mallett was drafted in the 3rd but was graded out as a 1st round QB (fell because of off field concerns not talent). That's what teams draft on how players grade out with potential and if Mallett was in this years draft without his previous off field concerns he'd be the #2/3 QB in the draft
    4. Mallett costs peanuts compared to a 1st round or early 2nd round QB (who doesn't have NFL experience either) or a vet (who has proven they can't win, cough Moore cough)

Sections
Shortcuts