Michael Johnson potential trade? or FA next season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Michael Johnson potential trade? or FA next season

The bengals just locked up carlos dunlap and were unable to sign Johnson to a long term contract after franchising him.  It seems as if they want to sign Geno Adkins long term leaving little $ on the D-line for Johnson.  Plus they just drafted my draft binky Margus Hunt to replace him.  would offering a 3rd round pick get him here being that it would be a one year rental?  perhaps throwing in fletcher (or another one of our ILB, spikes perhaps being that it is his last year and i don't see us resigning him) the ILB they desperately need to help their defense and spell their only real ILB in the aging Harrison.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Michael Johnson potential trade? or FA next season

As much as I would love to see this happen I can't see it. BB really loves Nink and there is no way you take Jones off the field. I'm not sure Johnson can move inside so it might not be a good fit. We do have the cap space for it though. I mean with Hernandez hit this year lower than if he was on the team they should have slightly more than 10mil to spend and if they don't spend 5mil of that they lose it, since it was carried over from last year. That 5mil I bet would look nice if spent on any one of those CB's who went for 5mil for one year or on Welker right now.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the question is can nink and jones play every snap?  there is no depth behind them.  rotating jones, johnson and nink in would keep them all fresh and both teams would get something for star players who appear to not be in their future.  think of our D-line!  with wilfork and kelly rushing from the middle, jones and johnson rushing from the outside with the threat of hightower/mayo/collins rushing as well.  plus the solid state of our D backs with wilson/McCourty at safety and dennard/dowling/arrington/talib at CB.  Talk about a very solid D.  just need one more piece! 

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

the question is can nink and jones play every snap?  there is no depth behind them.  rotating jones, johnson and nink in would keep them all fresh and both teams would get something for star players who appear to not be in their future.  think of our D-line!  with wilfork and kelly rushing from the middle, jones and johnson rushing from the outside with the threat of hightower/mayo/collins rushing as well.  plus the solid state of our D backs with wilson/McCourty at safety and dennard/dowling/arrington/talib at CB.  Talk about a very solid D.  just need one more piece! 

I think Jones can and Nink has shown the ability to be a 3 down player. The one thing I'd like to note is that for either line it's better to have a continuation from down to down. Players get more tired running on and off the field quickly in a rotation than just staying on the field. It's one reason when Wilfork comes out it's usually for a series of downs not just for 1 3rd down to go right back out if they don't stop them. The other thing to think about is that Johnson is going into a contract year. Though Nink and Jones might be alright about a rotation I doubt Johnson would be. Especially after coming off a dbl digit sack season. I love the idea I just don't see BB pulling the trigger on it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Carlos Dunlap hopes Bengals can keep Michael Johnson too

Posted by Josh Alper on July 16, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT Carlos Dunlap

When is $40 million a steal?

According to Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap, it’s when you sign him for that amount of money over the life of a five-year contract extension. During a conference call following the official announcement of the extension on Tuesday, Dunlap said that he thinks the Bengals “got a steal” because there are bigger things to come for both him and the team.

Dunlap also said that he hoped the bigger things come alongside Michael Johnson. His fellow defensive end didn’t get a long-term deal from the Bengals and can’t sign one until after the season, something that may be tough for the Bengals to swing after extending Dunlap if they also want to extend defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Dunlap hopes that isn’t the case and told Johnson as much.

“He was excited for me. He told me congratulations,” Dunlap said, via Bengals.com. “I told him, ‘I’m here for the long haul. Hopefully we can get you and Geno here for the long haul, too. If not, we have one more year to reach all our goals and me and you both get to Hawaii with Geno.’”

Should that happen, the Bengals should have a defense capable of getting them a playoff win for the first time since 1990. They’d almost certainly be saying goodbye to Johnson if that happened, but no one ever said ending droughts of that length came without sacrifices.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

this situation seems very similar to the pats situation with wilfork and seymore both having contracts ending in the same year and not being able to extend both of the stars.  i think that if they traded johnson for spikes it would provide a player to take the place of harrision when he gets suspended/retires and being they have margus hunt to take his place at a much cheaper amount.  this i believe makes sense for both teams, even if it is just a one year rental it would place our defense over the top.  It would be very hard to figure out who to double, wilfork, jones, kelly, johnson.....

Sections
Shortcuts