Michael Matthews

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NastyPatriot. Show NastyPatriot's posts

Michael Matthews

This guy made a big play that caught Belichick's eye last preseason.

It was a pass and basically nooone could tackle him....actually Fernando Bryant (then with the Pats) tried to and got a nice stiff-arm....3 or 4 days after that play, Bryant was released...I don't know if anyone remembers that play, but I do.

The guy has alot of potential, and is a good blocker.

He's now a Patriot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

Re: Michael Matthews

It takes more than stiff-arming Fernando Bryant to make him impressive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

he is more of a daniel graham type. Solid blocker

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'd have kept Thomas and traded or released Watson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He'll be the blocking TE a la Daniel Graham.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Don't know any details about Mathews....but if he is a big, good blocker, then I say this is a good move.

Watson and Baker aren't the greates blockers. And neither was Thomas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Michael Matthews:
    [QUOTE]Don't know any details about Mathews....but if he is a big, good blocker, then I say this is a good move. Watson and Baker aren't the greates blockers. And neither was Thomas.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Here's what Mike Reiss had posted on BDC.

A few quick hits on TE Michael Matthews, acquired from the Giants:

9. At 6-foot-4, 270 pounds, he is known more as a blocking tight end.

10. 25 years old.

11. Playing under his rookie contract, which expires after the 2009 season, he is due to make $460,000.

12. Hasn't missed a regular-season game over two seasons (11 starts) and has eight catches for 54 yards.

13. He was battling Darcy Johnson for the third spot on the Giants' depth chart behind Kevin Boss and Travis Beckum

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

at 6-foot-4, 270 pounds,, maybe Matthews is the guy who can create the hole that Maroney can actually find and run thru....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]at 6-foot-4, 270 pounds,, maybe Matthews is the guy who can create the hole that Maroney can actually find and run thru....
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha - too funny. That would have to be a big hole!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]at 6-foot-4, 270 pounds,, maybe Matthews is the guy who can create the hole that Maroney can actually find and run thru....
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

Earthquakes dont make holes big enough for Maroney, I can still see him tap dancing around them, or at the least trying to.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Let me preface this by saying I am a Patriots fan through and through but I was a Giants fan first and still follow them as my #2 team though a bit bitterly after 2007. 
    Now that you have that info let me say I love this move. Mitchell would have likely been cut but it was a close competition. He is a Mauler maybe the best blocking TE I have ever seen. He has shown glimpses of being more then that but I wouldn't bet on it. So I love the move.  And it made sense to Giants cause they get to move a guy rather then cut one and get nothing in return and it didn't matter to them which way it went cause they are looking for a bit more catching ability from the position then Mitchell is likely to give them and the other TE's competing had the edge in the pass catching category.
    I'm ready for some football!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Matthews : Earthquakes dont make holes big enough for Maroney, I can still see him tap dancing around them, or at the least trying to.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Say what you will, but he's averaged 4.3 yards a carry in his career.  Aweful tough to hit the hole with a broken bone in your shoulder........

• Sections
    Shortcuts