Might we see Mallet on Sunday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Might we see Mallet on Sunday?

Lets be pessemistic for a minute and consider what to do if the Ravens continuously penetrate the pocket through the middle like the Cards did last Sunday.

Would it be unreasonable to put Mallet in for a series and see if he can get outside away from the rush and throw?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Re: Might we see Mallet on Sunday?

Excellent point...  It seems a shame that in the NFL you seldom if ever, see players who are waiting in the "wings..." play.  The NBA seems to follow the same accord but that is not the case in the NHL and MLB.

One question that might be posed is "Do fans come to see the team win at any cost or do they come to see the atheletes and enjoy themselves?"

Based on what I saw during preseason Mallet is an entertaining player...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Ohhh my....the sky must be falling!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

we will see mallet if we are down 40 points and brady is missing his throwing arm.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

We will see Mallet when TB12 retires. Long as TB is healthy and we're not getting crushed he should never be on the field instead of Tom.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Lets be pessemistic for a minute and consider what to do if the Ravens continuously penetrate the pocket through the middle like the Cards did last Sunday.

Would it be unreasonable to put Mallet in for a series and see if he can get outside away from the rush and throw?

I'll admit I can't recall too much of his preseason action the past 2 years, but given what I remember from him in college he wasn't exactly the most fleet of foot.  There are very few QB's that can escape pressure up the middle and based on my understanding of Mallett's skill set I don't see him being one of them.  Guy isn't exactly Cam Newton or Big Ben.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Down by 40pts????????  UUHHMMMM how about up by 40 and he comes in for relief..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Yup - holding the clipboard as usual

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Awesome idea!!  Lets get Mallet ond Edelman out on the field Sunday vs the Ravens.  This will give the patriots the best chance of winning. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I sense a front runner for Prairie Mike's Posty Award for "Dumbest Thread of the Year", here

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Sure we will see him...................on the sideline with his hat on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Mallet is still working on his footwork, getting better but still a work in progress.

I'm going down swinging with Brady.

I've said all week though that if the Pats insist on running plays that are slow to develop they will get dope slapped Sunday and Brady will get his bell rung.

Quick plays, quick runs, when the Ravens stack the middle, and they will, burn em' with runs to the outside, hit widouts one to three yds off the line.

Quick, quick, quick.....and the Pats come back to Boston with a 31-27 win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to ChasaB's comment:

we will see mallet if we are down 40 points and brady is missing his throwing arm.

Oh I don't know I have seen people stay in the fight even without limbs.

Awesome!!!! Well done dude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Ummm . . .

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think "mobility" is one of Mallet's strong suits.

Believe this: If we see Ryan Mallet Sunday night doing anything but watching intently (and maybe holding a clipboard), that will not be a good thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

no, only if brady were to get injured. the o-line is going to have to play better this week or it will happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I sense a front runner for Prairie Mike's Posty Award for "Dumbest Thread of the Year", here

We didn't get a forum awards write up last year.  We did two years ago but for some reason there wasn't one for last year.  What happened?  I wish we could find the one from two years ago, I would love to read it again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

if ravens break the pocket, it don't make a difference who is back there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Last week the problem on the Patriots' offensive line was Logan Mankins, says profootballfocus.com.  Even the rookie guard opposite him, Donald Thomas, turned in a solid performance.  "--right now he’s the weak link on a line that is generally winning most of it’s [sic] battles."  I notice that Mankins is practicing injured this week, and that his hip is the problem. 

It will help the line if a recovered Dan Connolly replaces an injured Mankins, or if Mankins recovers enough by Sunday night to play.  So, I don't see the Ravens seriously penetrating the pocket.

The Mallett substitution is too much from outer space, sorry.  I'll make one exception:  If the Patriots need 60 yards with one second to go before the end of the first half, or at the end of the game, Mallett is the man.  He can put it 60 yards in the air with accuracy to Lloyd, to Gronk or to the vee tip drill, and Brady can't throw that far.  The chance of a Baltimore interception followed by a 100 yard runback for a touchdown is pretty much zero, so why not try to take a chance on some free points? Hiking the ball and falling down does nothing.

My numbers favor the Ravens by a serious 5.2 points, in part because the Ravens have always had an excellent home-field advantage.  For one thing, the team and the crowd both work the refs to perfection.  No, I can't say whether scab refs can be worked better or worse than experienced refs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

You are all on crack. I cannot believe this is even a thread.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Hahahahahaha. You CANT be serious !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Awesome idea!!  Lets get Mallet ond Edelman out on the field Sunday vs the Ravens."

you're just trolling now on Edelman and you know it - there is no comparison between Mallet vs Brady and Welker vs Edelman. Edelman is playing a lot because he played better than Welker in camp, simple as that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Mallet will play only if Brady has 2 broken legs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusgriswold. Show rusgriswold's posts

I would deal Brady for 2 1st rd picks and go with Mallett with these TEs, the RBs, etc, yes.  Yes. I’ve seen enough to see that Brady isn't into this anymore.  Sorry.  It pains me to say that, but he's had numerous chances to be consistent and he just can't show it.

I hate typing this, but I can't avoid what I see.    You cannot spend the majority of the game basically unable to hit your receivers or move the sticks.  It's not just McDaniels either, guys.  You can't blame the O Line every game Brady looks average or bad either.  It's becoming very old.

McDaniels seemed to have a very bland set of calls, but it's not just that.  Last week we had people defending Brady's wobbler to Lloyd and this week, what is it? Ridley ran amuck last week and he had a nice first half this week and we're still seeing Brady in the shotgun.  Ugh.

Sadly, Brady just isn't elite anymore for whatever the reason. He's not the main reason they'll win the division or an AFC or SB title like he was back in 2006 or even 2007.  I don't care about that, but at least show that you know what you're doing.  Awful.    The pocket awareness is horrendous.  Just run 3 yards ahead!  Do anything!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

Ohhh my....the sky must be falling!!

Not the sky fallingb the QB being sacked. Thanks for the stupid response

Sections
Shortcuts