mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons)

anyone listened?

he believes that the colts are the most dangerous afc team for the pats, since they can score lots of points.

colts were very close to win the regular season game, they have a few players back (collie will be back for the playoffs, wont he?), i don't think baltimore will beat them @indy, but i'm not sure the colts can win in pittsburgh in january.

any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons)

I don't like Indy in the cold and possible snow in Foxborough. Sorry.  Baltimore would seem to be a better match up on road in the cold, from the other team's perspective.

I also don't feel Indy's D is very good, especially on the road.

Watch the Raiders/Colts game on Sunday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickB71. Show RickB71's posts

In Response to mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons):
    [QUOTE]anyone listened? he believes that the colts are the most dangerous afc team for the pats, since they can score lots of points. colts were very close to win the regular season game, they have a few players back (collie will be back for the playoffs, wont he?), i don't think baltimore will beat them @indy, but i'm not sure the colts can win in pittsburgh in january. any thoughts?
    Posted by mnp3a[/QUOTE]

It's Collie's 3rd concussion this season.  He HAS to be done for the year.  I feel a lot better about facing them without collie

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

If Collie comes back, it will be an absolute joke and Goodell should step in. Three concussions in one year? The kid is going to be a vegetable if he doesn't get some rest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

they need to win out to even make it...jacksonville has easier schedule wash and houston  colts play oakland and tennesee

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The Colts actually shut down the Jags' running game and still had a hard time shaking them off at home.

Manning put up some numbers in November, and probably should have completed the comeback . . .  but we all know what generally happens with Peyton when the pressure builds up. He's not going into Foxboro (or Bitchburgh) in January and doing anyting but getting humiliated (again).

As for Austin Collie . . .   well . . .  we've heard a lot of fancy rhetoric about concerns for player safety -- particularly as regards conussions. If we see this guy on the field again, you will have your answer as to what actually drives the league and who is talking out of their back end.

Edit: It appears Collie has been place on injured reserve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

In Response to Re: mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons):
    [QUOTE]I also don't feel Indy's D is very good, especially on the road. Watch the Raiders/Colts game on Sunday.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

that game will be interesting! i still think peyton finds a way to win.

i watched indy-jax and as p-mike says, indy shut their running game. but it was weird: they had to choose, either they stopped the run or respected the pass. and then jax stubbornly tried to run over them and couldn't, but they didn't want to pass downfield... until it was too late.

the pats look much much better than the colts this year, the only thing that worries me is that (for quite a while now) the offense is unable to get first downs late in the game (against them).

how many weeks-after-branch was the colts game?

p-mike, Polian said "we're certainly going to err so far on the side of caution you won't be able to see the other side"

i don't know how you do that without placing him on IR right away.

wonder what UD** thinks about it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

The Colts will put up a lot of points, but that will also mean Manning is throwing the ball probably 50+ times against us. If the Colts, who will not have Collie for the rest of the year, try to out pass the Pats it will just make Manning get picked multiple times again. The Colts got lucky with that onside kick against the Jags and they did stop the run well but they can still be ripped apart through the air.

I welcome the Colts coming to a winter weathered playoff game in Foxboro, but I think they might get knocked out in the 1st round if they do get in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I felt Jax threw the game away. Credit Indy desperate at home in a must win, but Garrard's pick and some other poor plays by them cost them that game.

That's how it goes. You play worse, you lose.

But, I think Indy is a different team away from the Polian Dome.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

As long as the Pats have home field advantage, they should take care of anyone in the AFC and easily take care of anyone in the NFC for a SB victory!

Pats Win!

Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

[QUOTE]I welcome the Colts coming to a winter weathered playoff game in Foxboro, but I think they might get knocked out in the 1st round if they do get in.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Loosing Collie is a huge blow for them. That Oakland game just got tougher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Asamghoua will lock down Wayne and Gomer will have to start looking elsewhere.   They won't be running on that front 4 either.

I can't wait.

Underoos on the watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nah. January is a completely different season than November in New England. 

The Colts precision attack stumbles in that kind of weather, as it is predicated on the WRs running sharp patterns to specific spots on the field.

I still think the only real contender against NE is Baltimore, based on the matchups. NE never has great WRs, so they don't do well against teams that can man up, and NEs interior line isn't the best at pass pro, while Baltimore is one of the best interior pressure teams. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Collie loss is enormous.  It really does limit the colts options.  Both Collie and Clark were completely trusted by Manning to find spots and generally hold on to the ball. 

Tamme is good but he's no clark.  Blair White has been effective at times but also has had trouble with the nuances of the colts passing attack which requires quick immediate correct decision making.  Garcon is coming on which is a help, but until the last few games he was on track to have the worst receiver year for a colt in a decade.  Lets hope the good continues.  That leaves dependable Wayne who can be slowed down significantly.  Further, Brown is not the runner or blocker that Hart is and is not the runner, receiver, blocker that Addai is.  The colts are very thin at the skill position.  

As for the Jags game - The jags were in it due to a "faked" fair catch that was returned for a TD, and a 5 down series that resulted in points that NEVER should have happened.  Disgrace.  

That said, it was incredible the difference in effectiveness of the colts offense before and after Collie exited the game.  Before, the Jags had no answer.  After, they could lock down signficantly more easily. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Indy is just not that good this year, a 9-7 team by my ratings.  These guys are rated worse than Tennessee and not far from Jacksonville for a reason -- they lose a bunch of football games.  They just lost Austin Collie to another concussion. 

I see them struggling to get by Baltimore as a home team in the wild card round.  If they do, they might visit Foxboro in January.  Manning historically plays far better inside a dome than in the wind and snow.

I suspect that Logan Mankins will improve the Patriots' running game against Indy's awful run defense.  Peyton Manning will once again throw for 300 yards and three picks, except it's harder to hang onto the ball outdoors in January.

The Patriots generally play an opponent better the second time in a season.  Of course that's true for almost all of the playoff opponents.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

[QUOTE]Asamghoua will lock down Wayne and Gomer will have to start looking elsewhere.   They won't be running on that front 4 either. I can't wait. Underoos on the watch.

Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Asamghoua has some injury and Seymour has hammy problems. Oakland might tank @ 4 because KC could decide their fate @ 1. Last time these two played it was a late season game like this and the ref's stole the game from the raiders. Collie out,flags in check, and Oakland plays 60. 3 big IF's, but that is a colt loss waiting to happen. Maybe they play to save Cable's job.

Jax loss at indy:   That looked to be jax would not check out of a run play with 8 in the box. I saw it on playbook all 22 tape. Gurrard and MJD had some injury's coming into the game also. I think both had missed most of the last weeks practice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with ZBellino. I think Baltimore provides the toughest foe for us in the playoffs shoud we face them. Next I have to rate the Jets (regardless of the blowout). Indy is 3rd, but Egghead in the cold, harsh winds/snow of Foxboro is going to fold.

Funny, I watched the Jets 1st half against the Pats again. I think things would have been a lot closer if Sancheese would have connected with his WR's. He was totally off that day. He's no Brady, but I haven't seem him miss that badly this year. And you know, the Jests will be licking their chops for a rematch with our boys, same with Baltimore. Those 2 games are winable, but they are, to me, our most feared AFC opponents.

If we manage to get to the big game, the NFC is no breeze either. Regardless of what LittleTimmy said. New Orleans, Green Bay with Rodgers...those teams are legit and would be stiff competition for the Pats. This is no cake walk...we are going to have to earn every win..and I like it that way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: mike lombardi talks playoffs matchups (w simmons) :   Asamghoua has some injury and Seymour has hammy problems. Oakland might tank @ 4 because KC could decide their fate @ 1. Last time these two played it was a late season game like this and the ref's stole the game from the raiders. Collie out,flags in check, and Oakland plays 60. 3 big IF's, but that is a colt loss waiting to happen. Maybe they play to save Cable's job. Jax loss at indy:   That looked to be jax would not check out of a run play with 8 in the box. I saw it on playbook all 22 tape. Gurrard and MJD had some injury's coming into the game also. I think both had missed most of the last weeks practice.
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

He's had a bad ankle, but should be back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Why BB shipped Moss off is the very reason the steelers lost to the jests. They played straight into the hands of the jests D. #1 and #2 WR's is what they want to see. The Ravens don't have the DB's to play us either. This O focuses on match ups not play makers making plays. NOt saying by any means we don't have play makers.