Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls

Mike Pereira on the NFL network  has stated that the roughing the passer calls on Brady were correct. He stated that the league will continue to protect not just QB's but all players. He said that the calls are at the discretion of the ref. and that other calls in games played had been missed.

When asked about Brady lobbying for the call , he pointed out other QB including Rivers, and said ALL QUARTERBACKS do the same thing!!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

Re: Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls

In Response to Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls:
    Mike Pereira on the NFL network  has stated that the roughing the passer calls on Brady were correct. He stated that the league will continue to protect not just QB's but all players. He said that the calls are at the discretion of the ref. and that other calls in games played had been missed. When asked about Brady lobbying for the call , he pointed out other QB including Rivers, and said ALL QUARTERBACKS do the same thing!!!!!! http://www.nfl.com/
    Posted by NEGAME

It's true!! All QB's lobby for a flag. Just like all defensive backs lobby for a flag saying the receiver puched off. Basically the same thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls:
    In Response to Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls : It's true!! All QB's lobby for a flag. Just like all defensive backs lobby for a flag saying the receiver puched off. Basically the same thing.
    Posted by DYBLITZ

On practically every single play, players are lobbying for a call.  Whenever someone catches a pass, a couple of defenders call it incomplete.  Whenever there's a fumble, all the players not in the pile try to help the officials. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Yea but i think the point people were trying to make was that if we saw Manning doing that and trying to get a call we would slam him all week for it but Brady does it and its ok cause "everyone is doing it" and so i think thats what the point is. I dont have an issue with it but i also dont have an issue when other people do it, flags are part of the game deal with it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Its a non-issue.  The flag was on its way out before Brady even looked at the Ref.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

It's always ironic to read "roughing the passer" threads on a Patriots forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

It's always ironic to read "roughing the passer" threads on a Patriots forum.
    Posted by Yapple

HUH?? I don't know what you mean.  You do know all the controversy the calls caused. I just thought it's interesting what the league thought about them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls : It's true!! All QB's lobby for a flag. Just like all defensive backs lobby for a flag saying the receiver puched off. Basically the same thing.
    Posted by DYBLITZ

All players no matter what position lobby for a flag....Look when there is an off sides, or a potential pass interference.....they all do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"HUH?? I don't know what you mean.  You do know all the controversy the calls caused. I just thought it's interesting what the league thought about them."

A bogus roughing the passer call was the most important play in our history until the tuck rule play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Yea but i think the point people were trying to make was that if we saw Manning doing that and trying to get a call we would slam him all week for it but Brady does it and its ok cause "everyone is doing it" and so i think thats what the point is. I dont have an issue with it but i also dont have an issue when other people do it, flags are part of the game deal with it.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

If someone was trying to say that then they are dead wrong.....nobody would slam manning for doing that...that is stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Hey guys did you see that wuss Manning asking for a flag the other day ... oh wait. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Tired about all the talk on this issue. Ravens players were fired up. Adrenaline was still pumping. They don`t have a coach like Bill who teaches players to say ``No comment`` or `We will have to look at the tape``. These comments from Ray Lewis were made right after the game. If asked what he thought about them now he would slightly alter his response I am sure. The problem with the whole thing has to do more with the NFL rules than it does with the Pats. And Patriot fans are taking this thing personally when it has to do with the NFL rules not our team. You are basically not allowed to sack the QB anymore. I think Ray`s comments were misunderstood.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If there was a plethora of great QBs I could understand some calls, but they can't call all the touch stuff (they are not kickers) all the time. Every professional league tries to protect their star players and the NFL is no different; do you realistically believe that Goodell wants Brady on the PUP list for the marquee London (grow the game) match-up vs Tampa Bay ? Brady can take a hit and he knows the difference between a cheap call. a non-call, and personal foul 15 yrd call (fine later ?). I like Hoyer as much as the next Pats fan, but he can't put cans in the seats anywhere near as well as the Bradys, Mannings , and the other top ten QBs of the league.

Like it or not, their is a marketing and branding aspect to the way the NFL is run (just ask Mark Sanchez). It just makes good business sense to keep the star players healthy. Personally, I don't like it any more than some nameless defender whose job is to hammer the QB would like it, but the NFL would lose revenue if ever the was a dearth of great QBs. Right now there is a dearth of great QBs (Garrard, Campbell etc.....) therefore, to reiterate, it is in the NFL's best interest to protect them as much as possible; even if protecting them detracts from the quality of the officiating and the game itself. It's a collision sport, ladys and lords, and players will inevitably get hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If there was a plethora of great QBs I could understand some calls, but they can't call all the touch stuff (they are not kickers) all the time. Every professional league tries to protect their star players and the NFL is no different; do you realistically believe that Goodell wants Brady on the PUP list for the marquee London (grow the game) match-up vs Tampa Bay ? Brady can take a hit and he knows the difference between a cheap call. a non-call, and personal foul 15 yrd call (fine later ?). I like Hoyer as much as the next Pats fan, but he can't put cans in the seats anywhere near as well as the Bradys, Mannings , and the other top ten QBs of the league. Like it or not, their is a marketing and branding aspect to the way the NFL is run (just ask Mark Sanchez). It just makes good business sense to keep the star players healthy. Personally, I don't like it any more than some nameless defender whose job is to hammer the QB would like it, but the NFL would lose revenue if ever the was a dearth of great QBs. Right now there is a dearth of great QBs (Garrard, Campbell etc.....) therefore, to reiterate, it is in the NFL's best interest to protect them as much as possible; even if protecting them detracts from the quality of the officiating and the game itself. It's a collision sport, ladys and lords, and players will inevitably get hurt.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Goodell is an idiot. Why not just have the Colts vs. the Patriots in England? The Bucs? Atleast the English will see some offense. Btw, NEGame, I miss the old picture. Not saying I don't love Coach, just saying I like watching chaps better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

If there was a plethora of great QBs I could understand some calls, but they can't call all the touch stuff (they are not kickers) all the time. Every professional league tries to protect their star players and the NFL is no different; do you realistically believe that Goodell wants Brady on the PUP list for the marquee London (grow the game) match-up vs Tampa Bay ? Brady can take a hit and he knows the difference between a cheap call. a non-call, and personal foul 15 yrd call (fine later ?). I like Hoyer as much as the next Pats fan, but he can't put cans in the seats anywhere near as well as the Bradys, Mannings , and the other top ten QBs of the league. Like it or not, their is a marketing and branding aspect to the way the NFL is run (just ask Mark Sanchez). It just makes good business sense to keep the star players healthy. Personally, I don't like it any more than some nameless defender whose job is to hammer the QB would like it, but the NFL would lose revenue if ever the was a dearth of great QBs. Right now there is a dearth of great QBs (Garrard, Campbell etc.....) therefore, to reiterate, it is in the NFL's best interest to protect them as much as possible; even if protecting them detracts from the quality of the officiating and the game itself. It's a collision sport, ladys and lords, and players will inevitably get hurt.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

John I'm not sure it's just about "cans in the seats"

Carson Palmer predicts a fatality

In Peter King's excellent season-launching Monday Morning Quarterback column, he cross-promotes an item from his Sports Illustrated roundtable discussion with multiple franchise quarterbacks. 

Said Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer at one point during the conversation:  "The truth of the matter is . . . somebody is going to die here in the NFL.  It's going to happen."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

QBs are sitting ducks in the pocket. The game doesn't occur right in front of them. They are taught to look down field and to never take their eyes off their receivers. While other positions can see someone diving at their knee and simply evade it, QBs don't posses that kind of awareness. 

I thought Carson Palmer overreacted when he said "The truth of the matter is . . . somebody is going to die here in the NFL.  It's going to happen.", but someone will be fatally injured. Since only we NE fans, and Cincy fans, know what it's like to look helplessly at our QBs lay on the field and know that this is the end of his year, we want QBs to be protected more than the average NFL fan. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

He's right, look at Kevin Everett a few years ago. Guy's lucky to be alive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll be honest.  The Patriots are one of the heaviest and most quarterback-flattening teams in the NFL.  Their linebackers are oversized and their D-line is usually huge.  Historically they have flattened a lot of quarterbacks.  Just last Sunday they used the Baltimore quarterback as a blunt instrument on RT Gaither's head. 

The Patriots don't have many penalties out on the field, and that's the sign of a well-coached team, but they tend to get fined a lot on Wednesdays.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls : John I'm not sure it's just about "cans in the seats" Carson Palmer predicts a fatality Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2009 9:39 AM ET In Peter King's excellent season-launching Monday Morning Quarterback column, he cross-promotes an item from his Sports Illustrated roundtable discussion with multiple franchise quarterbacks.  Said Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer at one point during the conversation:  "The truth of the matter is . . . somebody is going to die here in the NFL .  It's going to happen." Per King, the group consisting of Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers got "very quiet" in response to that comment. Eventually, Palmer explained himself. "Guys are getting so big, so fast, so explosive,'' Palmer said.  "The game's so violent.  Now that they're cutting out the wedge deal on kickoff returns, those guys [are] coming free, and at some point somebody is going to die in football.  And I hope it's not anyone at this table, and I hope it doesn't happen, obviously.  Everyone talks about the good old days, when guys were tough and quarterbacks got crushed all the time, but back in the day, there weren't defensive ends that were Mario Williams -- 6-7, 300 pounds, 10 percent body fat, running a 4.7 40." Though the worst-case scenario can happen to anyone in the NFL, quarterbacks likely are the least at risk because of the rules aimed at protecting them, and because the hits they take entail less momentum, given that they aren't moving at full speed in the opposite direction when the impact occurs. The worst-case scenario will happen when two guys moving at maximum velocity crash their bodies together at, for one of them, an angle and position that shatters the bones around the top of the spine and severs the cord that those bones protect. And, yes, at some point in the future, it will happen. Still, that doesn't make the game unsafe.  The equipment and techniques have come a long way since the days that long hair served as the closest thing to a helmet.  There always has been, and always will be, an element of risk for anyone who plays football.  The men who play in the NFL are compensated well for taking that risk.  The real tragedies occur at the levels of the sport where young men lose their lives to a game they play for free.
    Posted by NEGAME

Hey GAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I am with the guy who wants your chaps photo back on the board!!!  Sans Jeans.  I predict the Pats take down the Donkeys 31-10 and Hoyer gets some playing time!  The CHAPS without the jeans could just be the inspiration our Heroes need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mooseriverrover. Show mooseriverrover's posts

Its a non-issue.  The flag was on its way out before Brady even looked at the Ref.
    Posted by JBonesky

Thank you, sir.  We must be the only two people on the planet to have noticed that...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Pereira on "roughing the passer" calls : Hey GAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I am with the guy who wants your chaps photo back on the board!!!  Sans Jeans.  I predict the Pats take down the Donkeys 31-10 and Hoyer gets some playing time!  The CHAPS without the jeans could just be the inspiration our Heroes need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Blissman!!  I know you are ALWAYS out there!!  I love your prediction, I think we're going to score a lot of points. 

HMMMMMMMMMMM chaps without the Jeans, the Mods would ban me for good or send me to "off the field fodder" never to return

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartanvoice. Show Spartanvoice's posts

The worst " Roughing the Passer " call in history was the one called on Sugar Bear Hamilton in the 1976 playoffs. Sugar Bear was nowhere near Ken Stabler on this 4th down play, but got called for roughing. Stabler when on to throw a td pass and won the game. Oakland went on to win the Super Bowl. There is no doubt in my mind the Patriots would've won the Super Bowl that year.
    That's why the tuck rule game was sweet revenge.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"The worst " Roughing the Passer " call in history was the one called on Sugar Bear Hamilton in the 1976 playoffs."

I referred to this earlier in this thread as the most important play in our history until the tuck rule play. However, Stabler did not throw a TD pass to win the game. He ran it in himself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This won't go on forever.

Remember "in the grasp" ?

How did that work out?

Officials are in the process of figuring out just exactly how this rule is going to be interpreted and right now are going deep overboard in favor of the offenses. The guy who said it is now essentially impossible to tackle the quarterback  is spot on. Can't go low. Can't go high. Can't land on him. But this too, shall pass. At some point (far . . .   far in the future), the league will see the wisdom of having games decided by the players and not the officials and the pendulum will swing back the other way. It always does. Whatever your opinion of the new rule(s), Ray Lewis was not entirely incorrect when he said that two Pats scores were the indirect result of judgment calls that could just as easily not have been made. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending upon your perspective), these ticky-tack calls are going to be made and there will undoubtedly be a more glaring example of a game being decided by one of these calls soon (if not sooner). Sack numbers will go down (way . . .   way down) and some key defensive players are going to have to get a little more creative in defending their demands for retarded money, but maybe this week some team will benefit from the ridiculous new offensive pass interference rules and we can grouse about that for a while.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

" The worst " Roughing the Passer " call in history was the one called on Sugar Bear Hamilton in the 1976 playoffs." I referred to this earlier in this thread as the most important play in our history until the tuck rule play. However, Stabler did not throw a TD pass to win the game. He ran it in himself.
    Posted by Yapple

Hey, Yapple 1976?? No wonder I didn't get you're drift.  Was that game against the Raiders?? when so many comment that the tuck rule was pay back?

Sections
Shortcuts