Mike Reiss defends secondary coach

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Mike Reiss defends secondary coach

One factor Mikey might be missing in his noting that they still sucked after they left: Boyer may have irretrievably ruined them.

But for me I will attribute it to plain old bad drafting.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yawn!  Capers never had any say here. They just waited till the year was over and then let him go and guys like O'neal were already washed up so bad example.

I just mentioned this in another thread but can anyone explain HOW Matt Patricia got the D coach position over Peppers??

Does anyone realize that the Pats are the only team with only ONE assistant that is an ex player. I look at Kevin Green in Green Bay and thats a fired up guy who gets results from his unit. Its why our linebackers are good every year under Peppers. Experience, accountability,etc. You thnk Josh Boyer has EVER raised his voice at a player and do you think they would take it??  I know the game fellas and we are missing Veteran leadership in coaching because we have geeks who coached at comm. college and never PLAYED NFL BALL. Man u need those guys to win battles and weve had NO mental toughnes since 09 when BB admitted as much.

Ok after coaches, u can have player type coaches and we have NONE. remember A.Pleasant. BobbY Ham and those guys. Played roles in subpackages but really were valuble on the sidelines(J.Green anyone) and now we have who??  R.Freeking Brace who got hurt his first time out last week. M.Pryor who I dont think Ive seen play before and Deaderick who showed promise but is also always hurt. Seeing at though Vince and Kyle play ALL game anyway , why keep these young guys for depth who are ALWAYS hurt. Grab a veteran for cheap if doesnt neep to play and let him coach up other guys. Time for Bill to swallow his EGo and get some guys to help. Only reason Peppers isnt coach is because Bill is probably scared to lose his LAST peice of championship Pedrigree and with bums like Patricia, they will never be courted for head coach positions. thats Dumn!  let the man Coach, he is the best option!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I think BB's answers are his way of protecting his players in the media.  If the players were both coached and capable of turning for the ball they would.

I can't think of a single HOF CB that didn't turn toward the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Let's line up the suspects:

First in line is . . . Tom Brady and the offense.  The Yahoo standings show that New England has rung up +92 points on the opposition, #1 in the NFL in that category.  As a result, the opposition doesn't run up the middle.  They all pass.  New England is #8 in running yards given up partly because everybody's watching the time remaining in the game and so nobody runs against their defense. 

Second in line is Bill Belichick himself.  Not that he did anything bad.  He just plays score prevention all day and all night.  The book on score prevention says, if your opponent is between his own ten and the fifty yard line, get tough against the run and get pretty tough against the long bomb.  Give up those 6 yard passes, and that's an order!  So the opponent goes marching up the field to the 50 or the 45 yard line.  Occasionally the opponent messes up and the Patriots get the ball back early.  The Pats put up two walls across the field, one just outside of field goal range and the other in the red zone.  With 10 minutes to go and the Pats up 21 points, make that just one wall in the red zone, forget the field goal wall.  In terms of total points given up the Pats are 7 out of 16 in the AFC, not too bad.

Next, the trainers.  Half of the defensive backs are injured.  All of the speed people go down like flies in Foxboro.  Are the trainers putting out overly high-strung  fast people, is it getting them injured too much, and is that a price the team wants to pay with its stars? 

Next, the scouts.  Should they have picked a bunch of guys that always get injured?  I don't criticize Bill Belichick and the scouts much around here, but in the backfield they keep drafting a bunch of shorties that, because they don't weigh much more than certain South American bugs, get the worst of collisions and wind up injured. 

Next, the guys on the field are often rookies.  For every rookie that you start, you lose a game, says the coach's Bible.  Tavon Wilson.  Dennard.  Ras-I is almost a rook, for all the experience he didn't see while injured.  Nobody has been on the field for as much as five years.  I have seen guys five yards out of position in the backfield.

Now, cornerbacks coach Boyer.  Is he a scapegoat or is he a jinx?  I know nothing at all about the guy.  I just heard his name 20 minutes ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Whether it's the coaching, the scouting department, or a combination of the two, the secondary needs to be fixed. Every year, since 2008, it's been a problem. Something different needs to be tried. How 'bout starting by placing a "super-scout" in charge of monitoring each position. If this is already being done, than perhaps the guy who is in charge of scouting the DBs needs to be replaced.

So much of being successful as a player has to do with instincts, confidence, and work ethic. These are things that can't be coached...though a good coach will always find a way to get the most out of his players.

The fact remains that the Pats have failed to solve their secondary problem, while maintaining the status quo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Why does every one not talk about the pass rush being the secondary's best defense? When a QB has 4 sec. + to throw there are few DBs who can cover most NFL recievers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I don't think it is a cornerback coaching issue alone, take a look at Mayo and Chung in coverage. They don't look either, they play the recievers. It's Belichick's coaching of how to play the pass that's the problem, it's clearly a memo sent from the top down like Mighty2013 posted. 

I mean, look at Arrington, BB is paying this clown 3 million dollars a year (He's one of the top ten highest paid players on the team) to suck and if you ask him he'll say nothing but praises for Arrington's game. 

Also, you guys have to realize that guys like Mayo and McCourty are two of the most coachable players on the roster. They absorb coaching like a sponge, if BB tells them to go out and get on all fours and bark like a dog, they'll do it. The only reason to explain why both of them wouldn't look for the ball in air is only because they are coached to do so. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why does every one not talk about the pass rush being the secondary's best defense? When a QB has 4 sec. + to throw there are few DBs who can cover most NFL recievers.

[/QUOTE]

This also ties to B.B.  on a lot of plays , guys arent asked to rush up the field, They just dance with the lineman and try to play gaps or they cant rush due to containment responsibilities. MY thoery is B.B. is always guarding so much against everything that he ends up stopping nothing but run plays and bootlegs. Ill give him that, but the CBs have to hate it. WHEN we do rush, we are just as good as most teams but most times they are just conrtolling gaps...not sexy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think it is a cornerback coaching issue alone, take a look at Mayo and Chung in coverage. They don't look either, they play the recievers. It's Belichick's coaching of how to play the pass that's the problem, it's clearly a memo sent from the top down like Mighty2013 posted. 

I mean, look at Arrington, BB is paying this clown 3 million dollars a year (He's one of the top ten highest paid players on the team) to suck and if you ask him he'll say nothing but praises for Arrington's game. 

Also, you guys have to realize that guys like Mayo and McCourty are two of the most coachable players on the roster. They absorb coaching like a sponge, if BB tells them to go out and get on all fours and bark like a dog, they'll do it. The only reason to explain why both of them wouldn't look for the ball in air is only because they are coached to do so. 

[/QUOTE]

As you mention, there is the possibility that BB is telling the coaches/players to run with the receiver and break up the pass without turning.  I really hope that's not the case unless he feels they are so young they won't be able to turn to the ball too.  Anyway, this would surely be a sea change from the past.  Law, Samuel, even Hobbs turned to the ball.

I'm going to reread The Education of a Coach this week and see if there is anything he had to say back then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Of course they want them to turn for the ball ,but in case you dont, u can still make a play by reading the WRs eyes and hands which to me is harder so I get what he saying. He is tryng to give them a secondary option of defending the pass since the 1st one went over their head (Pun Intended)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think BB's answers are his way of protecting his players in the media.  If the players were both coached and capable of turning for the ball they would.

I can't think of a single HOF CB that didn't turn toward the ball.

[/QUOTE]

ho fame how about good high school and college dbs.

the job of the def back has always been to play the ball AND the receiver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am not a Mike Reiss hater, but the fact is the defensive backfield has been one of the worst in the NFL under Boyer. I have seen analysts both national and local (in particular Ty Law) talk about how the DBs make basic mistakes as if they do not understand the fundementals of their positions (not turning their head when the ball is in the air, allowing players behind them in a 2-deep zone, etc).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not a Mike Reiss hater, but the fact is the defensive backfield has been one of the worst in the NFL under Boyer. I have seen analysts both national and local (in particular Ty Law) talk about how the DBs make basic mistakes as if they do not understand the fundementals of their positions (not turning their head when the ball is in the air, allowing players behind them in a 2-deep zone, etc).

[/QUOTE]

frnkbnhm,

re
    "(in particular Ty Law) talk about how the DBs make basic mistakes as if they do not understand the fundementals of their positions (not turning their head when the ball is in the air, allowing players behind them in a 2-deep zone,"

i have said the same exact thing for a year and a half. on the threads no reply but hate. no on there played db it seems or know what proper technique is (in their own mind)

the probelm is that bb apparently doesnt know or care as the poor technique has coninued for too long for it to be otherwise (or he would have corrected his coach)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Sry but all that has to be said is why is a guy who is from a school like the South dakota school of mines and technology coaching NFL CB's???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Sry but all that has to be said is why is a guy who is from a school like the South dakota school of mines and technology coaching NFL CB's???

I don't understand this argument. How many coaches are from MIT and Harvard?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

I don't understand this argument. How many coaches are from MIT and Harvard?

[/QUOTE]

Has the SDSM&T ever produced ANY noteworthy cornerbacks???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I like Mike's energy for the sport and the team, but he's getting to the point of being nothing but an apologist.  I think coaching has a ton to do with it...guys have progressively been getting worse and worse. 

BB defenses have been in decline for a long while and while it's admirable he wants to find hardworking kids and bring them up through the ranks...but he's doing a disservice to the team by putting them in those coaching positions.  Boyer, Flores, and whoever else he scrapes up from division 4b schools are NOT going to coach any other way than what is directed.  There's no way Boyer saw much talent during his tenure at the SDSM&T.  How the heck is he going to coach guys effectively?

Some of the older coaches like Eric Mangini who didn't play much if at all...those guys teethed for a long, long time....toiling in obscurity.  The Pats brain drain during their run of success in my opinion, rushed the need to bring guys like Flores in and up through the system quicker than we would have liked.

Free agent guys come in and their careers die...rookies come in and they get worse and then they're out of the league.  Even a dog gets a warm piece of the sidewalk now and again...we've just whiffed at every turn.  I think McCourty's good year was based on him playing they way he had played under Shiano and throughout his life up until that point.  The coaching sunk in and he turned into a turd back there.

I'm sorry for the rant...it's coaching.  When a guy like Mangini can get Hank Poteat, Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, and WR Troy Brown to play along with a championship level defense...it's a credit to him.  I wish BB would bring him back.  He's a smart coach (sucks as a head coach) and could really kick our guys in the backside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Mike's energy for the sport and the team, but he's getting to the point of being nothing but an apologist.  I think coaching has a ton to do with it...guys have progressively been getting worse and worse. 

BB defenses have been in decline for a long while and while it's admirable he wants to find hardworking kids and bring them up through the ranks...but he's doing a disservice to the team by putting them in those coaching positions.  Boyer, Flores, and whoever else he scrapes up from division 4b schools are NOT going to coach any other way than what is directed.  There's no way Boyer saw much talent during his tenure at the SDSM&T.  How the heck is he going to coach guys effectively?

Some of the older coaches like Eric Mangini who didn't play much if at all...those guys teethed for a long, long time....toiling in obscurity.  The Pats brain drain during their run of success in my opinion, rushed the need to bring guys like Flores in and up through the system quicker than we would have liked.

Free agent guys come in and their careers die...rookies come in and they get worse and then they're out of the league.  Even a dog gets a warm piece of the sidewalk now and again...we've just whiffed at every turn.  I think McCourty's good year was based on him playing they way he had played under Shiano and throughout his life up until that point.  The coaching sunk in and he turned into a turd back there.

I'm sorry for the rant...it's coaching.  When a guy like Mangini can get Hank Poteat, Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, and WR Troy Brown to play along with a championship level defense...it's a credit to him.  I wish BB would bring him back.  He's a smart coach (sucks as a head coach) and could really kick our guys in the backside.

[/QUOTE]

We know thats never gonna happen though. Im sure BB still holds a bit of a grudge against the rat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

i know no one likes a rat...but still...he'd be so much more competent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i intimated the same thing on another thread. bb cannot handle even a completely competent coach on his staff, never mind one who sent him to the wolves.

bb aint a forgiving guy. and hsi pride is too big.

we're all fallible. includign bb.

hes proven time and again hes very fallble. so if anyone needs to learnt o forgive, it's bb

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i intimated the same thing on another thread. bb cannot handle even a completely competent coach on his staff, never mind one who sent him to the wolves.

bb aint a forgiving guy. and hsi pride is too big.

we're all fallible. includign bb.

hes proven time and again hes very fallble. so if anyone needs to learnt o forgive, it's bb

[/QUOTE]

As BB would say "it is what it is"

Sections
Shortcuts