Mike Reiss ESPN response to beat Broncos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Mike Reiss ESPN response to beat Broncos

Q. Will the Pats go with the 2-deep safety shell they used in the first match-up, or will they be forced to use a safety to help out on Julius Thomas? -- Brandon (Wakefield)

A. Brandon, if there is one thing we've learned over the years in games where the Patriots faced Peyton Manning, they can't just do the same thing over and over again. Manning is too sharp. My initial thoughts on the plan, and these are based off discussion with Tedy Bruschi, is to adopt a similar plan to the Dolphins games this year -- play from the inside-out and if the quarterback is going to beat you, make him do it by having to throw downfield and outside the numbers.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Mike Reiss ESPN response to beat Broncos

Defensive line needs to collapse the pocket and keep hands in Manning's grill...he hates throwing with obstructions..

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Belichick is Lucy and Peyton Manning is Charlie Brown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

This has always been the recipe. The key is to take away any pre snap read for Gomie, and then just hold in the red zone/don't get beat over the top outside the red zone.

You do that by mixing personnel all over the place in zones (maybe even in man).

One example is this:

We may see Talib mostly on Demarius and sometimes on Julius. Logan Ryan would appear to get Demarious when Talib on Julius.

I think Dennard can handle Decker even with a height disadvantage.

The key is to not show the same thing over and over and move guys around. Collins would appear to be a huge piece to this and how BB uses him.  Would not mind seeing some well timed blites with Collins or Fletcher.

Plus 10

I heard soemthing that I didnt know that PM is much worse agisnt 3-4

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Q. Will the Pats go with the 2-deep safety shell they used in the first match-up, or will they be forced to use a safety to help out on Julius Thomas? -- Brandon (Wakefield)

A. Brandon, if there is one thing we've learned over the years in games where the Patriots faced Peyton Manning, they can't just do the same thing over and over again. Manning is too sharp. My initial thoughts on the plan, and these are based off discussion with Tedy Bruschi, is to adopt a similar plan to the Dolphins games this year -- play from the inside-out and if the quarterback is going to beat you, make him do it by having to throw downfield and outside the numbers.

Well, you have to like your matchups best in man-to-man outside, and least with Welker and Thomas roaming the middle. Plus, you also need to be on top of passes behind the line of scrimmage. Denver actually throws more of them than New England, if that is possible, and have collected 7 TDs that way.

Denver likes to stretch its opponents out, then come back at them underneath. This means tackling is huge.

All told, physical man-to-man coverage and secure tackling are going to be the keys whatever New England tries to do. It's always about winning those battles, but it's so key in the game. You can't allow Denver huge RAC yardage, because that is how they extend plays. This is key for Demaryius Thomas. He has an insane 7.8 YAC per catch. That is running back range, and far beyond any other WR with 50+ catches save Golden Tate.

It's a legitimate weapon with this kid. They use him like the 49ers and Eagles used to use Terrell Owens >40% of his yardage is after the catch. We are talking bubble screens, drag routes, and quick slants.

To be frank, if you are in press coverage, you have chances there for a big interception if you can read your keys. The problem is gearing up to tackle or make a play on the ball when you are trying to prevent him running past you at the same time.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

This has always been the recipe. The key is to take away any pre snap read for Gomie, and then just hold in the red zone/don't get beat over the top outside the red zone.

You do that by mixing personnel all over the place in zones (maybe even in man).

One example is this:

We may see Talib mostly on Demarius and sometimes on Julius. Logan Ryan would appear to get Demarious when Talib on Julius.

The key is to not show the same thing over and over and move guys around. Collins would appear to be a huge piece to this and how BB uses him.  Would not mind seeing some well timed blites with Collins or Fletcher.

Plus 10

It's almost insubstantial. That graphic was misleading because, while he has struggled the last few times he played New England, the graphic Boomer brought up was outdated: New England is no longer a 3-4. 

More importantly, Denver always faces nickel ... so it matters little what the base defense is like. 

Just more braindead, for the masses John Madden (the team that wins will be the one to score more points) style broadcasting. 

The teams that trouble Manning are the teams that are phsyical at the line of scrimmage with his WRs and disrupt his precious timing. The rest of the guessing game stuff about disguise etcetera is only ancillary. Denver has no special advantage there, as New England's entire offense is also designed around forcing opponents to declare.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Since the Pyle family was Goober then Gomer, I don't refer to PM as Gomie, he is Goober Pyle. Eli is Gomer! Get it right...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

One example is this:

Plus 10

It's almost insubstantial. That graphic was misleading because, while he has struggled the last few times he played New England, the graphic Boomer brought up was outdated: New England is no longer a 3-4. 

More importantly, Denver always faces nickel ... so it matters little what the base defense is like. 

Just more braindead, for the masses John Madden (the team that wins will be the one to score more points) style broadcasting. 

The teams that trouble Manning are the teams that are phsyical at the line of scrimmage with his WRs and disrupt his precious timing. The rest of the guessing game stuff about disguise etcetera is only anciliary. Denver has no special advantage there, as New England's entire offense is also designed around forcing opponents to declare.

We're gonna be whatever we want to be. We were a 4-3 base in 2011, 2012 and most of this year, but Siliga providing the NT needed to play 3-4, we can play 3-4, so Boomer is incorrect.

I've seen some 3-4 played well here since the Houston game.

The other advantage to the 3-4 obviously in this scenario is the ability to dicate coverage in certain situations when you drop a Nink into coverage on that strong side, to likely try to take away Moreno on a check down.

I have to chuckle, Z. You either have me on ignore or just ignore me , because you are completley intimidated in these discussions, because you lose them everytime. You try to come off so smart, which you are, but you can never admit when miss analysis on something.

Most of your analysis is English teacher fluff work.

You're not getting to accomplish being physical with Gomie's receivers, the way to do that and take out Moreno may be better broached via the 3-4.

Ok, Rust. I don't respond to any of your posts because they add so little value and aren't worth responding too. You just string football words you've heard before together (3-4, drop Nink into coverage, etcetera) without really knowing what they mean. Like you can't have a defensive end cover a route in the flats? Oh, that's never happened before. 

Here is a tid-bit to show how low caliber this particular post is. 

New England is going to lead the way and "broach" coverage (you should look up the meaning of broach) with the 3-4?

Try this, from my post: "More importantly, Denver always faces nickel ... so it matters little what the base defense is like. "

From the positional groupings tracker in ESPN Boston: "In Sunday's 34-31 overtime win over the Denver Broncos, the Patriots played a sub defense (mostly a nickel) for all 90 snaps." <http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4754172/defensive-groupings-sub-total-rises>

All 90. All of them. Each and every snap was in nickel or dime. To be extra clear ... the last time they played they didn't play a single snap of 34 or 43. They had extra defensive backs for every single play. 

What else would you do against an offense that runs 3 or 4 wide receivers out there on every single play? I just love the idea of leaving an edge linebacker out there against Wes Welker though ... that would go over really well. In short, what I said was 100% correct: the spot he is talking about (which I saw) was meaningless. New England hasn't played any 3-4 against Denver in years, and their base defense has been 43 for years.

And they aren't going to change a thing this time unless Denver comes out with a fullback or a two-TE package where you actually need the extra linebacker. The odds of that happening with a healthy Welker are practically zero save the unfortunate outcome that Denver is running time off the clock late. 

It was some television pundit trying to make a connection between the fact that New England, Indianapolis, and San Diego were the three teams to beat Denver, and he made that connection by bending the facts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

That didn't go so well for you Rusty did it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Zeb, I've always admired your posts, especially your pre draft views, so I couldn't believe the comment above directed at "an English teacher" which is what I happen to be.  Please allow this metaphor: if your response was part of a boxing match, you pummeled the guy so viciously they would have had to stop the fight.  Look forward to your views as the draft nears. Don't we have a Maine connection?  I grew up in Bar Harbor, went to UM Orono...just an English teacher now on the west coast, mostly "fluff work" but I do know what 100 per cent means...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

CCN, I'm with you. He may have been looking for a jab but he didn't see that left hook coming at all.  Get the smelling salts--and maybe a nurse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Zebellino 1, Rusty 0

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ is now googling and checking wikipedia for his response. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

LOL!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

One example is this:

I think they will try and hit that sideline play over and over .  It is a low risk throw if get it high to theirr bigger guy (thomas and Thomasand Decker).  Pats DBs need to expect this and work on turning around.....!  This will open up chances for INTs and help avoid the dreaded PI penalties.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

One example is this:

I think they will try and hit that sideline play over and over .  It is a low risk throw if get it high to theirr bigger guy (thomas and Thomasand Decker).  Pats DBs need to expect this and work on turning around.....!  This will open up chances for INTs and help avoid the dreaded PI penalties.

Talib, Dennard and Ryan are good at looking for the ball

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Whatever defense we use it's going to change depending on its effectiveness and the score so why argue?

It will probably change from snap to snap

Sections
Shortcuts