Mike Reiss on Brady's decline

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Mike Reiss on Brady's decline

"After Brady struggled in Sunday's 30-27 loss to the Jets, some are wondering if this is the start of his decline as a player.

We'll sum up our answer in one word, with a few extra letters added for effect: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Mike Reiss on Brady's decline

This is coming from frustrated fans who are also looking at the results Manning is achieving over at the Broncos.

Coming into this season the most oft asked question was how was Brady goping to do with so many new players on offense with lack of experience.  To this day, the talking heads are still amazed at what Brady can do with this group and the fact the Pats are 5 - 2.  Too many here are looking for the offense that set records and short of that, the conclusion some are jumping to is there is something wrong with Brady. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, so he's not a good source.   I've never once seen him be critical. If he is, he always ties it to someone else on the team, lesseing the blow of the real truth about a Brady flaw or mistake.

[/QUOTE]

OK, I see your a Brady hater......well that explains what your lacking in your posts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, so he's not a good source.   I've never once seen him be critical. If he is, he always ties it to someone else on the team, lesseing the blow of the real truth about a Brady flaw or mistake.

[/QUOTE]

It's hard to keep track.

Previously:   "I trust Reiss more than any other source."

Previously:  "Bedard has an agenda against the Pats."

Now:  Well, it's right here for all to see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

..and you are a consistent Brady basher.  So, you, too, are not exactly the most objective source.  In spite of TEAM failings, you focus on Brady as the culprit.  Many here do acknowledge Brady may not be playing, himself, to the standards he set, which are significantly higher than most QBs in the NFL, considering the supporting cast he gets on offense most years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is coming from frustrated fans who are also looking at the results Manning is achieving over at the Broncos.

Coming into this season the most oft asked question was how was Brady goping to do with so many new players on offense with lack of experience.  To this day, the talking heads are still amazed at what Brady can do with this group and the fact the Pats are 5 - 2.  Too many here are looking for the offense that set records and short of that, the conclusion some are jumping to is there is something wrong with Brady. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

I think most understand it was going to be a pretty decent size step back. This is has been more than that.

Over the last 6 seasons (that includes one with Matt Cassell) the Pats offense has avgeraged (28) 3 and outs per season.

They currently  have (20) after 7 weeks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

I think most understand it was going to be a pretty decent size step back. This is has been more than that.

Over the last 6 seasons (that includes one with Matt Cassell) the Pats offense has avgeraged (28) 3 and outs per season.

[/QUOTE]

This is what confuses me.  We all understood that there was going to be bumps a long the way.  I think most down inside thought they'd be pro-bowl types by mid-season, which is totally unrealistic in itself and why posters are complaining.  5-2 with all the injuries and the young guys is a great record.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Didn't Reiss also say Brady had an inaccurate weekend?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

I disagree.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and if we want to overlook the changes in personnel on the field I place the #1 "blame" at the feet of Josh.  Whereas he demonstrated good strategy in shifting the offense in '08 under Cassell he seems to be pretending that it is "business as usual" this year, despite a near total overhaul at the skill positions.

I'm not saying TB is as good as he was in '07.   But, you know what?   He's a better QB than he was when he helped them win a SB in '01.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Umm....A source of inside info is not the same as Reiss's personal analysis on element of the game.

Are you this stupid? You don''t know what the difference is between Reiss the beatwriter or reporter and Reiss the analyst?

LOL!!!

What do your think your IQ is, Catfish?

[/QUOTE]

I know the difference between "Hey, that does not support my theories!  Reiss you suck" and "Hey, I agree with that.  Reiss you rule."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I am not a Brady basher, never have been and never will be. But his performance the last few weeks makes me wonder if he is spending too much extra time throwing to the new guys after practice. I also wonder about the hand injury. I think he hurt it week two or week three hitting someone on the helmet after a throw. And no, they aren't excuses and I'm not apologizing but I've never seen Brady throw so many bad balls. I hope it isn't that he misses Martinez!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mpb2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK, I see your a Brady hater......well that explains what your lacking in your posts.

[/QUOTE]

False. I am an obective fan, a diehard, honest and I go by what I see with facts.

If that is your defintion of a "hater", then that means you're a child.

[/QUOTE]

Nice try...I have seen enough of your posts....you are what you are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

Umm....A source of inside info is not the same as Reiss's personal analysis on element of the game.

Are you this stupid? You don''t know what the difference is between Reiss the beatwriter or reporter and Reiss the analyst?

LOL!!!

What do your think your IQ is, Catfish?

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the nuance.  Reiss should really start his columns better so that we can see the difference.  "Today's column is strictly opinion".

My IQ?   Have I been elevated to "Attack Status?".   Can you please come up with a nick for me like you did for others?   I'd be so honored.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not a Brady basher, never have been and never will be. But his performance the last few weeks makes me wonder if he is spending too much extra time throwing to the new guys after practice. I also wonder about the hand injury. I think he hurt it week two or week three hitting someone on the helmet after a throw. And no, they aren't excuses and I'm not apologizing but I've never seen Brady throw so many bad balls. I hope it isn't that he misses Martinez!

[/QUOTE]

Well he did go to the Tom House School this off season......different workout routine.....House is known for increasing strength to the shoulder and arm.....who knows...maybe Tommy has too much power he can't control it.....jk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

..and you are a consistent Brady basher.  So, you, too, are not exactly the most objective source.  In spite of TEAM failings, you focus on Brady as the culprit.  Many here do acknowledge Brady may not be playing, himself, to the standards he set, which are significantly higher than most QBs in the NFL, considering the supporting cast he gets on offense most years.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's accurate.  The thing about Rusty is that he has never been afraid to be critical of TB, compared to the vast majority here who have always reacted to any such criticism as blasphamy.  I've noticed many times when he has acknowledged TB's accomplishments.  Where Rusty gets himself into trouble is that he tends to come across kind of harsh and over the top at times.  Generally though, I have found his concerns about TB to be reasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's accurate.  The thing about Rusty is that he has never been afraid to be critical of TB, compared to the vast majority here who have always reacted to any such criticism as blasphamy.  I've noticed many times when he has acknowledged TB's accomplishments.  Where Rusty gets himself into trouble is that he tends to come across kind of harsh and over the top at times.  Generally though, I have found his concerns about TB to be reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

I would disagree, its OK to be critical of TB as long as the criticism if fair.  I have read enough to see he throws fairness out the window.  Thats what gets him into trouble, not the harsh over the top behavior...hell that is just being a Bostonian.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Edelman was targeted 18 times in the first jets/pats game.  Was that equally unacceptable?

Are you aware of the beast known as Gronk and his ability to dominate a game?  Even with the tremendous D that Allen played on him, he was able to average nearly 15 yards a catch.  When your team has Gronk and a bunch a stone hands WRs, you throw to Gronk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

THank you.

It's harsh, because it's annoying and frustrating watching our various BBWs jump through a flaming ring to deflect from just saying "he sucked".

If anyone is a troll or any group is a troll here, it's them.

We're 7-0 right now, simply with a better Brady as a QB.  

[/QUOTE]

If your team is playing so poorly that you need someone better than Tom Brady to succeed, your team sucks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Decline?

Gone: Welker,Hernandez,Woodhead,Gronkowski for 6 weeks and Vareen for season:

In: Thompkins, Dobson and Collie coming off injury.

What quarterbacks numbers/performance would not suffer under these circumstances?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I disagree.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and if we want to overlook the changes in personnel on the field I place the #1 "blame" at the feet of Josh.  Whereas he demonstrated good strategy in shifting the offense in '08 under Cassell he seems to be pretending that it is "business as usual" this year, despite a near total overhaul at the skill positions.

I'm not saying TB is as good as he was in '07.   But, you know what?   He's a better QB than he was when he helped them win a SB in '01.

[/QUOTE]

While I believe he IS a vastly better QB now than he was in his 1st major NFL action no doubt. That does not mean he is "currently" playing that way. There is a difference.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Per Mike Reiss: 

Upon Further Review: Patriots Week 7

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751609/upon-further-review-patriots-week-7

Tom Brady and offensive struggles: We led off the "Upon Further Review" feature last week with the subtitle "Tom Brady magic" after he led the team's game-winning touchdown drive against the Saints. But the magic act did a disappearing act against the Jets. Credit, first and foremost, to a tough Jets defense that held the Patriots to 1-of-12 on third down. It was a day when the undermanned defense needed Brady and Co. to step up and carry the day, and the quarterback didn't deliver. It isn't all on him, but one of the defining characteristics of his play -- accuracy-- isn't showing up consistently. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Like it or not, Brady is their best chance to win, and Brady is still the most important person on that roster.  Until such time that there is a QB on the sidelines who deserves a shot to unseat Brady, then I'm going to be thankful we have him as our starting QB.  Sure, the D has been the deciding factor in some games, and yes, Brady could be sharper.  He may not be perfect, but are we really expecting him to the the Brady of old given the flux of his offensive personnel at times?  Amendola - out.  Gronk - out.  Hernandez?  Never saw that one coming.  An UDFA and a 2nd rounder as two of his top 3 WRs?  It takes time to develop a rapport.  Vereen?  Hurt, and definitely missed.  His OL?  Could be better.  Playcalling?  I am not in the meeting room and I have very little idea of who the Pats' O is trying to exploit at times, and I suspect 99.9% of us here are in the same boat.  

They are 5-2, and let's face it, there is LOTS of room for improvement - which is the hallmark of a BB-led team.  Not a terrible position to be in.  This team is going to need Brady to step up his game with the number of injuries piling up on D.   We all realise he could be better, but I still think his best is yet to come.            

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Okay? Even Reiss said he was bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THank you.

It's harsh, because it's annoying and frustrating watching our various BBWs jump through a flaming ring to deflect from just saying "he sucked".

[/QUOTE]

We're 7-0 this year if BB learns how to put together a better team.

Starting WR's worst in the league.

O-line, sharp decline(exposed)

RB's ineffective and rarely used because they can't get 1 yard when needed.

Defense still giving up huge yardage completions and can't stop a 3rd down, still can't get off the field.

Run D sucks

Pass D sucks

Coach teaching ST's, incorrectly.

That's all on a good day! LOL!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THank you.

[/QUOTE]

We're 7-0 this year if BB learns how to put together a better team.

Starting WR's worst in the league.

O-line, sharp decline(exposed)

RB's ineffective and rarely used because they can't get 1 yard when needed.

Defense still giving up huge yardage completions and can't stop a 3rd down, still can't get off the field.

Run D sucks

Pass D sucks

Coach teaching ST's, incorrectly.

That's all on a good day! LOL!

[/QUOTE]

Per Mike Reiss: Upon Further Review: Patriots Week 7

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751609/upon-further-review-patriots-week-7

Tom Brady and offensive struggles: We led off the "Upon Further Review" feature last week with the subtitle "Tom Brady magic" after he led the team's game-winning touchdown drive against the Saints. But the magic act did a disappearing act against the Jets. Credit, first and foremost, to a tough Jets defense that held the Patriots to 1-of-12 on third down. It was a day when the undermanned defense needed Brady and Co. to step up and carry the day, and the quarterback didn't deliver. It isn't all on him, but one of the defining characteristics of his play --accuracy-- isn't showing up consistently. 

Sections
Shortcuts