Mike Reiss on Brady's decline

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Mike Reiss on Brady's decline

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree.

I think most understand it was going to be a pretty decent size step back. This is has been more than that.

Over the last 6 seasons (that includes one with Matt Cassell) the Pats offense has avgeraged (28) 3 and outs per season.

They currently  have (20) after 7 weeks.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and if we want to overlook the changes in personnel on the field I place the #1 "blame" at the feet of Josh.  Whereas he demonstrated good strategy in shifting the offense in '08 under Cassell he seems to be pretending that it is "business as usual" this year, despite a near total overhaul at the skill positions.

I'm not saying TB is as good as he was in '07.   But, you know what?   He's a better QB than he was when he helped them win a SB in '01.

[/QUOTE]

I'd argue he's a better QB than he was in '03 & '04, as well. Save for his athleticism. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

His receivers are open, he needs to hit them, regardless of how precise the route is to what he thought they were going to do, or how much he trusts them to catch the ball.

I thought the young guys were looking great the first few drives. Why is that? Because Brady was spreading the ball around to everybody. Pretty sure he hit 5 receivers on the first drive (Dobson, Thompkins, Edelman, Collie, Gronk).

Second half? I remember him throwing one ball to Dobson (the back shoulder fade which wasn't a great pass and would have been a fantastic catch), and I think one pass to Edelman. The rest were to Gronk. I'd venture to guess that he targeted Gronk at least 12-14 times out of his 17 in that second half.

Brady is at his best when he puts the football where the defense isn't, and he hasn't done that this year. I've also never seen his accuracy be so poor. I don't think he's declining, I think he's just in a slump. Nothing about his game relies on athleticism, and a few lesser quarterbacks have succeeded later in their careers.

It's my hope that by week 13 or 14, this offense is at least competent, and I'm not about to give up on them yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Okay? Even Reiss said he was bad.

[/QUOTE]

Umm... no he didn't.  He said his accuracy has been off and it has.

But when you are throwing to moving targets who are running into each other, or holding the ball too long because said receivers are running into each other or running in opposite directions of where they're supposed to or not stopping where they're supposed to, or being hit or sacked on every other play, those things tend to happen..

You do realize that receptions depend on all 11 guys doing their job right?

Thank you BB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

Tough to check down to start the gamewhen you're getting sacked three of the four first downs (or something close to that).

If we believe Rusty that the Jets players are all bums, then who's fault was it that Brady was under pressure all game?  I thought the big injuries were on defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

[QUOTE]

But when you are throwing to moving targets who are running into each other, or holding the ball too long because said receivers are running into each other or running in opposite directions of where they're supposed to or not stopping where they're supposed to, or being hit or sacked on every other play, those things tend to happen..

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

And what about those times where Brady is standing perfectly upright with a great pocket, and his receiver is wide open, and he fails to connect with them? How do you explain him completing less than 50% of his passes to his supposed saviour in Gronk? You know, the one who he has completed >70% of passes to in years past?

The line has been average. The receivers have been poor (particularly against the Jets in week 2, and in Cincinnatti), but not yesterday. The receivers didn't drop much at all yesterday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

Tough to check down to start the gamewhen you're getting sacked three of the four first downs (or something close to that).

If we believe Rusty that the Jets players are all bums, then who's fault was it that Brady was under pressure all game?  I thought the big injuries were on defense.

[/QUOTE]

Well. Wendall getting destroyed, Solder and Vollmer under performing, Mankins decline are all coming to light as a result of the QB who HAD the quickest release in the game, no longer has, due to the inept receivers.

Sacked 13 times in the past 3 weeks???????

They were always overrated to begin with and that always reared it's ugly head against better D fronts.  Now it's worse.

What was once a reliable (chain moving) slot position has now been replaced with 2 perimeter rookies, who can't catch.

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks BB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Decline?

Gone: Welker,Hernandez,Woodhead,Gronkowski for 6 weeks and Vareen for season:

In: Thompkins, Dobson and Collie coming off injury.

What quarterbacks numbers/performance would not suffer under these circumstances?

[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense considering evertyhing was fine vs Atlanta on the road in a big game or vs NOs at home, when they ran the ball consistently through 4 qtrs.

VS Cincy and the Jets, they peeled back from it in the second half with leads and Brady was bad.

Forget the names on the jersey. It's the concepts and ALWAYS WILL BE here in this system.

Brady won SBs with Brown, Patten, Givens, Branch. None of these guys were on anyone's fantasy teams from 2001-2004.

WAKE UP.

2007, our moron contingent in this fanbase thinks Brady has to have fantasy superstars to score more than 13 or 17 points.

You could not be more wrong.

How is a HOF QB better with weaker talent, worse with better talent and then WORSE with new talent that is actually a lot better than people realize if used correctly.

Gronk comes back and is targeted 17 times and Dobson, Edelman or Thompkins aren't wide open somewhere?

Or, were they?

Was Brady staring down Gronk????? Hmmm.

[/QUOTE]

Your right. Dobson, Thompkins and Collie are much better than Troy Brown, Branch,Givens and Patten. I think you underestimate how good that group of receivers was. Nothing flashy, just got the job done. And they werent fantasy stars because, because Brady was able to spread the ball around so much since they consistently as a group got open and held onto the ball. Also had Kevin Faulk out of the backfield.

You label people as Brady apologists. Fine, but your a Brady hater. But the argument just goes against you. In come Welker and Moss. All receivers listed had all their best years with Brady throwing to them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

And what about those times where Brady is standing perfectly upright with a great pocket, and his receiver is wide open, and he fails to connect with them? How do you explain him completing less than 50% of his passes to his supposed saviour in Gronk? You know, the one who he has completed >70% of passes to in years past?

The line has been average. The receivers have been poor (particularly against the Jets in week 2, and in Cincinnatti), but not yesterday. The receivers didn't drop much at all yesterday.

[/QUOTE]

Umm... Wasn't that Gronks first game back after being out nearly a year?  Sill a little rusty.

Let's see, throw to the guy that catches 70% normally or throw to the guys that catch 40% and are dropping almost 20%.

You choose!

The receivers dropped 2 passes, Sunday, after their attempts were drastically reduced.  They ran into each other.  Than overran routes.

Again, you choose.

The better question is, WHY the FK are they the ONLY options?

Thank you BB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Well. Wendall getting destroyed, Solder and Vollmer under performing, Mankins decline are all coming to light as a result of the QB who HAD the quickest release in the game, no longer has, due to the inept receivers.

Sacked 13 times in the past 3 weeks???????

They were always overrated to begin with and that always reared it's ugly head against better D fronts.  Now it's worse.

What was once a reliable (chain moving) slot position has now been replaced with 2 perimeter rookies, who can't catch.

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks BB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mpb2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, so he's not a good source.   I've never once seen him be critical. If he is, he always ties it to someone else on the team, lesseing the blow of the real truth about a Brady flaw or mistake.

[/QUOTE]

OK, I see your a Brady hater......well that explains what your lacking in your posts.

[/QUOTE]

False. I am an obective fan, a diehard, honest and I go by what I see with facts.

If that is your defintion of a "hater", then that means you're a child.

[/QUOTE]

BS Rusty and you know it.  You and objective do not go together.  You can fool some new people with this BS but us who have been here a while know that statement is a complete lie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you know, the offense is so difficult to understand that their options are limited out of the gate.  Add to that the fact that Belichick can't draft out of the Top 10 to save his soul and that he lets good receivers go play with Peyton Manning while signing Danny On-The-Mend-Always to a $30,000,000 deal.

Thank you BB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, so he's not a good source.   I've never once seen him be critical. If he is, he always ties it to someone else on the team, lesseing the blow of the real truth about a Brady flaw or mistake.

[/QUOTE]

..and you are a consistent Brady basher.  So, you, too, are not exactly the most objective source.  In spite of TEAM failings, you focus on Brady as the culprit.  Many here do acknowledge Brady may not be playing, himself, to the standards he set, which are significantly higher than most QBs in the NFL, considering the supporting cast he gets on offense most years.

[/QUOTE]

I go by facts.  I don't create examples out of thin air.  This is a longstanding PATTERN of activity from Brady.

Gronk returns on Sunday and his addictions show up again. That's disturbing.

If you have a problem with my astute and consistent analysis on this topic, that's too bad. What we see on that tv is not a mirage or a movie.

[/QUOTE]

More lies, Rusty.  You and Facts do not go together.  You make up stuff as you go to fit your agenda.  I can not believe I am reading this BS from you.  Unreal!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

We're 7-0 this year if BB learns how to put together a better team.

Starting WR's worst in the league.

O-line, sharp decline(exposed)

RB's ineffective and rarely used because they can't get 1 yard when needed.

Defense still giving up huge yardage completions and can't stop a 3rd down, still can't get off the field.

Run D sucks

Pass D sucks

Coach teaching ST's, incorrectly.

That's all on a good day! LOL!

[/QUOTE]

The guy that says we were going to win 9 games this year is blasting BB because we aren't 7-0.  You realize the Pats have only gone 7-0 one time in Brady's tenure right?  LMAO.

BB puts together the number 1 rated offense over a 5 year period and all we hear is that it's because of Brady.  Now all of a sudden we aren't #1 and football becomes a team sport.  The hypocrisy here knows no bounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you know, the offense is so difficult to understand that their options are limited out of the gate.  Add to that the fact that Belichick can't draft out of the Top 10 to save his soul and that he lets good receivers go play with Peyton Manning while signing Danny On-The-Mend-Always to a $30,000,000 deal.

Thank you BB.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention choosing Molasses Mike and Donald Jones in FA.  UGH  W T F. Horrendous!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Brady has stunk this season outside of the Falcons game and a nice one minute drill against the Saints.  Early on you could blame the rookies but they're improving.  They're not the reason Brady overthrows and underthrows these guys.  And targeting Gronk 17 times his first game back was my biggest fear come to fruition.  I knew he couldn't avoid it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Oh no rusty! Mike Reiss disagrees with you! What are going to do now that your favorite media man disagrees with you? You must of really blown your lid when Reiss said he agreed with the thought process Belichick uses to build a team, but the problem he has was the players he brought in (you know, those mistakes). You must of loved that one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

For me it is accuracy and Brady's comp % seems to have dropped from around 65%. to about 55%. That is a pretty significant drop regardless of rookie WRs or not. That clearly has to improve for the Pats offense to be more successful. Have seen balls underthrown and overthrown. Timing is key if the QB can't find timing then everything is off. Granted some of it is on WRs and some is on Brady just not making accurate throws. One way could be to run more short passes; screens or short hitches whatever works. Thing is Brady has looked noticably less accurate and that is cause for some concern.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me it is accuracy and Brady's comp % seems to have dropped from around 65%. to about 55%. That is a pretty significant drop regardless of rookie WRs or not. That clearly has to improve for the Pats offense to be more successful. Have seen balls underthrown and overthrown. Timing is key if the QB can't find timing then everything is off. Granted some of it is on WRs and some is on Brady just not making accurate throws. One way could be to run more short passes; screens or short hitches whatever works. Thing is Brady has looked noticably less accurate and that is cause for some concern.

[/QUOTE]

That's all the logical Pats fans have been saying.  I'm not sure what kind of Pats fans we have here that can't criticize Brady.  I go to a Patriots bar here where I live in Virginia and everyone I talk to says the same thing about Brady, he's been terrible this year.  He's not accurate.  His numbers prove it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's all the logical Pats fans have been saying.  I'm not sure what kind of Pats fans we have here that can't criticize Brady.  I go to a Patriots bar here where I live in Virginia and everyone I talk to says the same thing about Brady, he's been terrible this year.  He's not accurate.  His numbers prove it.

[/QUOTE]

A QBs numbers rely upon guys being in the right place and being able to catch the ball.

Aaron Dobson

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Brady's QBR on Sunday was 29. Less than 40% compl rate with Gronk back.

FACTS

I go by facts and what I see.  Explain to the board how what I just typed are "lies", please.

Do not start up with me, TFB12.  You try to wiggle in here, completely outmatched, to protect your virtual lover, Brady, and then you get completely blasted off the thread.

Stick to the photoshopping only, please. It's what you know and what you are good at.

[/QUOTE]

You go by facts?

Like all the facts you were stating about Amendola until I provided the real facts and proved you wrong. 

And what you see?

Ok, answer me this... In the last 2 Patriots SuperBowls did you see the Giants drive down the field 83 and 88 yards in the final minutes to score TD's to win those last 2 SuperBowls?

Maybe you need to watch what you say around here and stop with all the lies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy that says we were going to win 9 games this year is blasting BB because we aren't 7-0.  You realize the Pats have only gone 7-0 one time in Brady's tenure right?  LMAO.

BB puts together the number 1 rated offense over a 5 year period and all we hear is that it's because of Brady.  Now all of a sudden we aren't #1 and football becomes a team sport.  The hypocrisy here knows no bounds.

[/QUOTE]

You must admit, this offense BB put together this year is so bad compared to the last 5 years.  I can not believe looking back to the preseason how many people here bought into this offense.  There were a few of us who could see that this offense is exactly like whe thought it would be.  And it isn't because of Brady.  Please tell me what the difference is from the past 5 years number 1 rated offenses and this years offense?  It sure isn't TFB!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Cherry pick all you want, Not A Shot.  You have no credibility in my eyes ever since your "It's not Brady's responsibility to work with his receivers" post.  What you say in here is about as meaningful as the Jets trolls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Cherry pick all you want, Not A Shot.  You have no credibility in my eyes ever since your "It's not Brady's responsibility to work with his receivers" post.  What you say in here is about as meaningful as the Jets trolls.

[/QUOTE]

You fall back on that because you realize your statement is stupid.

Yeah, you can tell a quarterback's accuracy based on his numbers.  That makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We're 7-0 this year if BB learns how to put together a better team.

Starting WR's worst in the league.

O-line, sharp decline(exposed)

RB's ineffective and rarely used because they can't get 1 yard when needed.

Defense still giving up huge yardage completions and can't stop a 3rd down, still can't get off the field.

Run D sucks

Pass D sucks

Coach teaching ST's, incorrectly.

That's all on a good day! LOL!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Never once said it was all because of Brady, Rusty.  Never once.  But did give him credit for carrying the D for years, because he and the O, did.  FACT!  Stats like 1st ranked O and bottom ranked D, don't lie.

I didn't like the lloyd pick last year and that is it.  I loved the Talib pick.

This is an entirely different situation as TB now has a team of misfits, dropping balls.  The D has improved, until the recent injuries, but going forward.....looks the same as the past 3 years to me.

The truth is, this IS a 9-7 team and I'm not so sure they even take the division unless things improve dramatically.  The JETS suck, remember?  Well, they are one game back.

Chew on that for awhile.

Thank you BB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the pats receivers were in the middle of the pack with drops Brady's completion percentage would be over sixty percent 

Sections
Shortcuts