Mike Shanahan Must Go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Mike Shanahan Must Go

I just read this ridiculous article in the Washington Times, which states that there's no obvious answer as to whether Mike Shanahan should return as the 'Skins' head coach next season. Let's see now...the 'Skins will likely finish 4-12 or worse this season. Shanahan foolishly exposed the jewel of the franchise, and the man that he traded three #1 picks plus to get...RG III...to serious injury in order to try to win a wildcard playoff game last year. This surely is the underlying reason for the discord between Shanahan and his QB.

No obvious answer?? The answer is pretty obvious to me: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/3/no-obvious-answer-redskins-mike-shanahan-fate/ 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Mike Shanahan Must Go

agree. the big problem is the offense and i dont think Mike is going to fire his son, so both got to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

agree. the big problem is the offense and i dont think Mike is going to fire his son, so both got to go.

The Redskins have given up more points than all but one team in the NFL and you think the problem is the offense?  Sure it has regressed some, but that was to be expected.  Their success last year was driven by teams not being prepared for the read option and them turning the ball over at an unsustainably low rate.  That defense was bad last year and is still bad this year.

The Redskins are a perfect example of why you don't trade tons of high draft picks for one player.  Even if you hit on the guy (and RG III has looked pretty good) it completely destroys your ability to surround him with a strong supporting cast.  The Redskins have holes all over and won't have a 1st round pick again this year.  The Rams are in line for a top 2 pick this year because of it.  What a steal for them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Are we not simply seeing another failure of a running QB?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

RGIII is a whiner

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Shanahan needs to go and I'm not sold on RGIII either. It's not that he isn't talented, but he just looks like he has no fire in his belly.

People can say what they want about Brady's body langauge, but I would much rather have a QB that is clearly disturbed by subpar play than one that walks around with his head down and a look of resignation on his face.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Redskins are a perfect example of why you don't trade tons of high draft picks for one player.  Even if you hit on the guy (and RG III has looked pretty good) it completely destroys your ability to surround him with a strong supporting cast.  The Redskins have holes all over and won't have a 1st round pick again this year.  The Rams are in line for a top 2 pick this year because of it.  What a steal for them.

Herschel Walker, anyone? LOL!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Washington, habitually, never seems to put together a team that really plays well all season.  The owner goes for "big names" and not players who can create a winning unit.  Bow, with the cost the team encountered to get RGIII, what can they do now?  It can't always be the coach.  Look at RGIII, is he performing at all at the level he was at last season?  This is the coach's fault?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Herschel Walker, anyone? LOL!!! 

That was even more brutal simply because Walker didn't pan out and only stayed on the team for a few years.  At the very least if RGIII pans out he would be in the franchise's long term plans.  But yeah this is almost as bad.  If Washington sucks again next year the Rams could potentially get a late 1st and 2 top 5 picks as a result of that trade.  Ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Walker heck what about Ricky Williams ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

RGIII is a whiner

Agreed, I can't stand that guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I don't get the venom against rg3

am not particular a sannahan fan

he did have an alternative in cousins and should gave pulled rg3 last year

Im also no thrilled with having relatives on your staff,

What happened to his D, they got people back

He also coaches only his system and not to what he has, unlike BB

The problem is there are very few really good coaches, at the Xs and Os, handle players and handke the press and the owner

He also didn't get along with elway, just not a fan of his

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Washington, habitually, never seems to put together a team that really plays well all season.  The owner goes for "big names" and not players who can create a winning unit.  Bow, with the cost the team encountered to get RGIII, what can they do now?  It can't always be the coach.  Look at RGIII, is he performing at all at the level he was at last season?  This is the coach's fault?

RESPONSE: In this case, it is. Shanahan's record in Washington is on par with that posted by Steve Spurrier...who used to play golf most of the day and let his assistants run the team. Shanahan's mistake was allowing a hobbled RG III to take the field against Seattle last year, in the NFC wildcard round. A blind man could see that RG III was laboring. It was stupid for Shanahan and the 'Skins to risk his health as they did, after they had paid a king's ransom worth of draft choices for him. Whether RG III wanted to play or not, Shanny should have slapped him on his fanny, and sat him down.

It would have also given the team a chance to showcase back-up QB, Kirk Cousins. Cousins played well in relief of Griffin last season. If he played well in the play-offs, the 'Skins would  have been in a position to trade him during the 2013 off-season. They might have been able to obtain a high draft pick to some desperate team (Jets?), considering that the 2013 draft was such a weak one for QBs.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The Redskins have given up more points than all but one team in the NFL and you think the problem is the offense?  Sure it has regressed some, but that was to be expected.  Their success last year was driven by teams not being prepared for the read option and them turning the ball over at an unsustainably low rate.  That defense was bad last year and is still bad this year.

Good post.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Why should I care whether Shanahan stays or goes? I'm a Pats fan and we don't play them. For my money, he should have been sacked last year when he risked the franchise by playing an injured RG3 in the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

RESPONSE: In this case, it is. Shanahan's record in Washington is on par with that posted by Steve Spurrier...who used to play golf most of the day and let his assistants run the team. Shanahan's mistake was allowing a hobbled RG III to take the field against Seattle last year, in the NFC wildcard round. A blind man could see that RG III was laboring. It was stupid for Shanahan and the 'Skins to risk his health as they did, after they had paid a king's ransom worth of draft choices for him. Whether RG III wanted to play or not, Shanny should have slapped him on his fanny, and sat him down.

It would have also given the team a chance to showcase back-up QB, Kirk Cousins. Cousins played well in relief of Griffin last season. If he played well in the play-offs, the 'Skins would  have been in a position to trade him during the 2013 off-season. They might have been able to obtain a high draft pick to some desperate team (Jets?), considering that the 2013 draft was such a weak one for QBs.  

+2 Pat!  Right on all these points.  The Shannie's (Mike and son Kyle) need to go and I hope the Skins owner Dan Snyder does so asap.  Elway made Shannie look good, same way TB makes BB look good, imo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Trading multiple picks for one player is a huge gamble and it certainly does not appear to be working with the 'skins.  I am of the opinion, however, that although Shanahan certainly isn't producing what one would expect, ownership is the issue.  Just as Dallas will never produce a winner with Jerry Jones running things, the 'skins will go nowhere with Dan Snyder as the owner. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Better article by ESPN ( can't link at the moment) saying Shanny cleaned out his office last year intending to leave but RG got hurt so Shanny did not want to look like he was abandoning the players. Lots of angst between Shanny and Snyder these days as Snyder is playing favorites with RG over every other player (Snyders driver picks up RG's wide for games)...

rumor has it that Snyder will ask Shanny to fire Shanny Jr and Shanny Sr will leave over this request, settling in at Houston! unless Gruden is interested ( I hear he is)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Better article by ESPN ( can't link at the moment) saying Shanny cleaned out his office last year intending to leave but RG got hurt so Shanny did not want to look like he was abandoning the players. Lots of angst between Shanny and Snyder these days as Snyder is playing favorites with RG over every other player (Snyders driver picks up RG's wide for games)...

rumor has it that Snyder will ask Shanny to fire Shanny Jr and Shanny Sr will leave over this request, settling in at Houston! unless Gruden is interested ( I hear he is)

Gruden to Houston or Washington? I cant see any reputable coach wanting to play for Snyder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Gruden to Houston or Washington? I cant see any reputable coach wanting to play for Snyder.

I clearly stated I am hearing Gruden has interest in Houston and vice versa....where do you come up with Washington. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

While I feel that Mike Shanahan has done a poor job in Washington, and should be fired...he's being unfairly criticized by the media for his decision to sit RG III. Griffin has been terrible of late. Why not check out what the Redskins have in Kirk Cousins?

Furthermore, benching RG III works in helping to keep his trade value high. If he's hurt again, and/or continues to look like an elusive Curtis Painter, his perceived value will plummett. If I were running the 'Skins, I'd try to trade the arrogant, egotistical, and pampered  RG III in the off-season, and see if I could cut my losses. I see RG III as a right-handed Michael Vick...flashy at times, great on occasion, but overrated and injury prone.

The Browns swindled the Colts by trading their over-hyped, over-drafted, and overrated RB, Trent Richardson...thereby recouping some of their losses. Perhaps it's time for the 'Skins to consider doing the same.   

With another weak QB class on the horizon in the 2014 draft, why not offer up RG III to the QB desperate Texans, for their #1 pick this year and next? Ask yourself this...would the Texans rather have the overrated Teddy Bridgewater...or a local hero (starred at Baylor and grew up in Texas), who, when healthy, has shown that he can play?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

RGIII is a whiner

very girly, tries to pass himslef as a conservative too.

he always refere to his teammates as my guys? very ego-centric.

if cousins comes in and does well, RG3 gets traded

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

Shanahan didn't want to trade all those picks for RG3...he actually planned to pick Cousins where he was picked , thought he was OK there...Snyder made the decision on RG3..Snyder has babied RG3 to the detriment of the team...Shanahan has also been a hideous coach....the team's guts are being ripped out by the Shanahan vs. Snyder B.S...Synder owns the team and is constantly pulling a Jerry Jones, controlling every decision, undercutting coaches...it's been going on for years since he's owned the team.

BB is a very lucky GM/Coach....as are we as fans...to have Kraft as the owner.

yep

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I believe Shanahan has won exactly 1 playoff game since winning his last superbowl.

What is that 14 years ago now?

Why exactly should people be thinking he needs to be kept around?

Sections
Shortcuts