Mike Wallace a Patriot?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot?

In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot? : Sounds great, Jets troll.  Jets are finished for a decade. Enjoy!
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Russ he's got a point. The Pats currently don't have an outside the numbers threat and other then Stevie Johnson, Wallace is the only player who's gotten the best of Revis. Now if that same success can translate to the Pats is unknown and imo the cost in both picks and contract is too much to risk that he won't gel in the system but the Pats do need a outside the numbers WR that can challenge and bet top end CB's like Revis on the line

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

[QUOTE]Wallace would be deadly w TB.. No doubt worth a late 1. And still have another remaining... This team has ZERO outside receivers. This guy is only getting better.... Need a blazer who can beat Revis. Anyone else can't.
    Posted by patzrcheaters[/QUOTE]

o god another jack a s s finds our message board and thinks "patzcheaters" is going to bother us LMCLAO!!!!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Who makes up these rumors?   Why would Pitt let Wallace go to NE?  That makes no sense. I think he's amazingly overrated with Antonio Brown being more impressive to me in their corps, but Pitt needs that guy in that system. PEople see speed and long legs and automatically want to put Mike Wallace into their Madden video game roster, I guess.  Ugh. I don't see someone like that as a fit here and we don't need a 35 year old Brady turning into  Bledsoesque statue again, pattting the ball, wiating for 25+ yard routes to unravel in the pocket. NO THANKS Compare prices to Wayne and Lloyd and start there.  Get Underwood and Dickerson into mini camp with Brady asap.  Develop those two, scout for your high IQ mid rd draft pick to develop and have the younger WRs learn from Branch and Welker, et al. Tag Welker.

Why would they let him go to New England? Because they are over the cap! Oh wait a second - all they would have to do is restructure a few contracts and cut some dead wood and then could sign one of the most prized free agents available this year. 

Imagine a team in salary cap hell being able to sign the prize of the free agent class and others as well - this is because the nfl salary cap is the most fluid thing in all of sports. Yet some like to pretend that we all need to be fiscally responsible. Hahaha! LOL.

I couldn't resist Rusty...I just couldn't. Now work yourself up into a frenzy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd like to see him here but no way do the Steelers let him go, especially to the Patriots. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot? : Why would they let him go to New England? Because they are over the cap! Oh wait a second - all they would have to do is restructure a few contracts and cut some dead wood and then could sign one of the most prized free agents available this year.  Imagine a team in salary cap hell being able to sign the prize of the free agent class and others as well - this is because the nfl salary cap is the most fluid thing in all of sports. Yet some like to pretend that we all need to be fiscally responsible. Hahaha! LOL. I couldn't resist Rusty...I just couldn't. Now work yourself up into a frenzy.   
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

They've already resurrected 5 contracts (which will most likely hurt them in the future) and they are still over the cap. They would have to do some major spring cleaning (where talking 5-15 players) to get enough cap space to hope to meet offers from other teams regarding Wallace. That's not to mention that they still need another 4-5mil in cap space for their draft picks.

The Steelers are in serious trouble right now and signing Wallace to a big contract would only hurt them more then help them. Could they do it sure, but it would come at a negative cost to their entire roster (see how the Jets depth and talent up front look)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well Felger is a special breed. He sees what the Jets did for 3 years and doesn't see any short term affect. Well it started last year as their depth was drastically hurt and again this year they are tight on the cap without the ability to restructure any of the major contracts. They are already talking about losing another player from the OL, that was a major stumbling block last year, along with their best player on D Pouha

For some reason I think Felger will get killed this year when a number of teams who are in cap jail are forced to release some of their best players only to pick up JAGs to replace them

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I'm not sure how the Pats can really afford to sign Wallace or any receiver for a big contract if they sign Welker long term.  Soon enough they will have to work out deals with Gronk and Hernandez as well as Solder and Vollmer on offense.  Brady and Mankins already get paid.  There is only so much money that can go around on offense.

This is not to say that I don't think that Mike Wallace can't be effective in the offense.  He is no longer just a deep threat.  Anyone who wants to say that Ocho Cinco couldn't play here, so Wallace might struggle is wrong.  Ocho, back when he actually had talent, would have been able to play with Tom Brady.  Mike Wallace would be able to as well.  With his speed the sight reads would not be that difficult because it is so obvious what they're trying to do with him.

The only way I could see this working is if you let Welker go with the thought that Edelman could be almost as effective in Welker's old role.  Then you are taking Welker's money and paying it to Wallace, a younger, different player.  They get to see Edelman every day and should have a good feel for whether he'd be able to do it or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They aren't keeping him and Brown. They can't. All they will do is run into the same situation next year when both of the are free agents. I would absolutely take him on the Patriots. It's all about how much. Everything revolves around Welkers contract. I don't think they should pay Welker 9-10 mil per. If they planned on paying him that money and then another reciever 3-4 I'd rather spend that on a top tier outside receiver and another WR to replace Banch. Edelman can go back to the slot. Herndandez and Gronk work the middle as well. I also don't think Welker has some huge market out there throwing big money at him so they will retain him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

This would be good for ALL the TE's and WR's on the Patriots. 

Does Welker really want to go to a team that wants him to do what he's already done? Again? Welker has plenty ofmileage left but, not as the go-to guy all the time. Having Wallace opens up everyone else. Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. Would Welker take less to essentially be able to play more years and be on a fantastic offense? 

I've never understood these players that leave a team they were great on for another mediocre team that goes nowehere for more money. Then when they retire they all say "I'd take a Ring for it all right now"! 

If I were some of the players on the Patriots I'd get together and tell the org that they'll restructure things to allow a move for Wallace. Easy for me to say, I know but, if they all want that Ring, they have to do more that get on the field. 

How many WR's have excelled in NE? Chad Johnson? Tate? Price? Why draft a crap shoot when you have watched a player like Wallace give a 3 year combine for us all to see? He's proved himself. 

You go deep and get him. You keep Welker too. Then, you use those picks on defense. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

In Response to Mike Wallace a Patriot?:
    [QUOTE]Now, I've not searched out any sources but, this radio program I listened to today said that several rumors are going around about the Patriots getting him.  I know, I know, rumors. These guys usually don't talk about them but, they had heard about it several times in the course of the day. Talking about the franchise tag and how teams just have to let certain players go. Talk was going around that Pittsburgh couldn't keep him and that the Patriots would jump on him.  I tell you, maybe it will, maybe it won't happen but, Mike Wallace would be an absolute dream for Brady. Not only that, Steelers fans would grit their teeth down to the gums over it.  Costs? Sure but, we get Wallace and use up some big $$ on him then we could literally spend the whole draft on defense. Trade Hoyer for a pick or 2 as well. Wallace on the team changes everything IMO.  I for one would love to see it happen. Lloyd and others sound nice. Reggie Wayne would be nice but, let's face it, having a younger, faster player like Wallace, to me, is the way to go. Enough with the veteran WR's who have 1/4 of a tank left in them. We need a legit young talented WR that would surely enjoy playing for Brady. Having Gronk and Herandez along with Welker and Wallace? We'd be favorites again. How do you defend that group?
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]

Wallace is a restricted free agent, which means Belichick could 'swipe' Wallace from the Steelers for a first round pick. The Pats have two at the tail end of the 1st, so it would be a good pickup for the Pats. However, I am unsure if it would cause bad blood between the two teams for the Pats to take advantage of the Steelers cap situation - they don't have the room to franchise Wallace @ $9+ M.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]"All they have to do is restructure a 'few' contracts". LOL! Just like the Jets, right? Right and you'd be wrong just like Michael Felger is wrong. Did you see the Jets implode last year? Why do you think that happened?  If it's so fluid with 53 man rosters, why are teams needing to walk away from pricier veterans?  Why will a team like Pitt or a team like the Jets have trouble doing what you just said?  YOu're delusional. The cap is a real thing nd it's clearly more difficult to manage in the NFL as opposed to the NHL, and obviously the easy NBA. Why will Balt tag Ray Rice instead of extending him longterm?  How many players make up an NFL roster? Why did the 1997 and 1998 Broncos hide Elway and Terrell Davis's real salaries to be more aggressive in FA to help their team improve? You couldn't resist being a moron again?  Apparently.  You're good at it, so why break precendent, Hurlie? Seriously what kind of work are you in? You seem to have zero business sense whatsoever. Maybe we can get you a job with Jets so they can continue to be morons balancing their payroll. lmao

Hahaha! That's a riot! You mention the Broncos from 14 years ago! How did the "salary cap jail" affect them? They actually cheated the cap - won two Super Bowls and got off with less punishment than our bull crap video scandal.

You actually believe the Jets suck because of the salary cap? You ever watch the Jets? They have this six foot quarterback that can't hit the broad side of a barn - it's really humorous to see. 

Teams restructure contracts and cut players all the time, they have so many people capable of doing this inside an organization that it can be done seamlessly over a long holiday weekend.

I know you really want to know what I do for a living, but my employer wouldn't want me posting on a site like this (at least the way I post). On occasion I've been slightly rude:(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I believe, and I'm not positive, that it would be the 31st pick the Steelers were awarded because that is the Patriots actual pick.  

I think Welker may be amenable to taking somewhat of a hometown discount to play for the Patriots, but that doesn't mean that he'll be happy if right afterward they went out and paid Wallace more.  If Wallace were to be acquired before Welker were to sign then there is no way he would sign for less than Wallace.  I was reading (Profootballtalk?) that Welker will be looking for at least $20 mil guaranteed because that is what he would get if he were just to accept the franchise tag for the next 2 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Agreed, if we franchise or sign WW there will be no Wallace/V-Jax or really any of the other big name wrs. Nor should there be. We already have 3 guys that were near tops in the league at catching their targets. Why pay 20-30 mill for a field stretcher? Especially when we are no longer much of a deep ball throwing team as our QB is 35 and we are built to work the middle of the field and run?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]Apparently Welker is looking for that big time FItzgerald type money, which unfortunately for him, is not reasonable.  He's caught in a sitatuon where he wants to be here, knows Brady and he have a great chemistry, etc, so he doesn't really have any leverage.  HIs leverage is simialr to Samuel's in 2007.  Hold out or get paid a lot one year, have a good/great year and then cash in ini 2013.  If I am him, I am not going that route. Clearly, it's not worth all that.  I don't see Welker as that kind of person.  I think a fair contract for him is like a 7-8 million per year type of thing, 4 years, maybe with some a big boost in 2014 when the cap spikes. He's earned the money without question, but NE can't be giving him #1 WR money. If he wants to win a SB, he won't be earning that 10 mil per thing here. I'd prefer they give him the deal, so they can save some of the inevitable tag money (9.5 million) to make sure they can resign guys like Carter and Anderson and be more aggressive in FA. If they are forced to tag him, he's likely gone after 2012 and he knows that, too. So, if he wants to stay in NE, and let's be honest, why on earth wouldn't he, he's in better position to sign the long term deal in that 7-8 range. I'd love to pay the guy more, but they can't really work with a larger salary until 2014.   I don't see this as unfair to him, really. He gets a massive raise in 2012 and 2013 similar to Mankins and then they can back end his deal for a bit.  Guarantee most of the money and he should be fine with it as long as his agent doesn't become ridiculous.

Were do you hear Welker wants Fitz money? That is laughable. He's not coming close to that as a Patriot or anywere else. No chance whatsoever. I'm not sure were you heard that.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The Jets are a disaster, every move has been a big mistake Lol..

Sections
Shortcuts